October 2011 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Re: October 2011 Pregnancy

tc, you should get your GD results within 24-48 hours, depending on your lab.  My doctor said they would only contact me if it was positive, and then at my next appointment (4 weeks later), they told me that it had been negative.  Of course, I assumed this since I hadn't heard anything :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Hey, so, I had my baby!  It turns out that I was leaking amniotic fluid since last Sunday, but they didn't figure it out until my prenatal appointment Friday morning (the 39 week appointment).  Luckily I had no infection, but they induced me later that day.  Baby girl was born very early this morning.  She's totally healthy and very beautiful.  Aside from the induction, I was able to have the natural childbirth that I wanted, but it was a pretty long haul--I pushed for 4 hours at the end and I'm pretty wiped out.  I probably won't be online too regularly but I'll come back and post more details sometime soon.  Good luck to those next up! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Summerbride – congratulations!  We were also surprisingly nervous to tell our families...not sure why, it was kinda funny.

Thanks to everyone who posted about GBS...I was really upset last week when I found out, but I am feeling much better about the whole thing...you all made me feels so much better.

Thistle!  Awesome news!  So glad you have a healthy baby and you were still able to have the birth you wanted.  Please post your birth story whenever you have time.  I am also 39 weeks and gearing up for the big day!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happy birthday baby girl Thistle!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Congrats on your healthy baby girl, thistle!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Congrats, thistle! Enjoy getting to know your new little lady!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Thistle!  That is awesome that you were still able to have the birth that you'd wanted.  Enjoy your new little one :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Congratulations Thistle!!!  So glad to hear that there was no infection and that the birth process was along the lines of what you were hoping it to be!  I look forward to hearing your birth story too, when you have a chance to post it ;o)

Leila, I am right there with you- hitting 39 weeks in a couple days and getting ready for the little one to make his/her appearance!

Congrats Summerbride!  You said saltines calmed your stomach a bit- even though the thought of eating doesn't really sound all that great, maybe you can try things like toast, cheerios (I liked the honey nut kind) and any liquids you can get into you (water, ginger ale, lemonade, etc.)  Don't worry too much about "healthy eating" right now if you aren't able to get it in you.  Best of luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When I was pg I was extremely ill (so much for symptoms meaning anything), and I found that only the "regular" sugar-based sodas, not diet, calmed my stomach.  Diet soda made me worse.  Ginger beer (it's not alcoholic) is the best because it contains a LOT of ginger, a proven relief for morning (and motion, btw) sickness.  Trader Joe's sells it, and it's really spicy hot and delicious.  Have that with a few saltines, and I bet it does the trick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Congrats Thistle!  Happy Birthday little one.
    I also had the positive GBS, did not want the IV but ended up with the antibiotics and Pitocin due to a spike in BP and needing to induce.  Really it was not a huge deal.  As everyone else has said, they will cap it off for showers, bathroom, change of clothes etc.  It took 3 days to finally get things moving and they would take me off the IV for periods as well to let me get some sleep, or just be more comfortable.  I was not really allowed to walk around but I could have walked with it, had it been allowed.
    As for the food aversion, I am impressed you got a salad in.  That is the last thing that sounds appealing to me and I am going through the same thing.  Stoned Wheat Thins, Oranges, Apples, Sprite, and Bananas are my source of substinance these days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Welcome and congrats, SummerBride!

Congrats on your baby girl, Thistle. So glad to hear you got to have the birth you wanted.

Ooh boy, I am in spreadsheet heaven (or something else...) checking out daycares. Thanks to those who pointed me toward the "questions to ask" thread -- it's been super helpful. I have two appointments set up already and am playing phone tag with a couple more. It seems about half the people I've heard back from have openings when I need them (June 2012), but a lot more just aren't getting back to me, which brings me to a couple of "How desperate should I be?" questions:
    • One woman I've been playing phone tag with I just don't like from my interaction so far. She didn't seem warm AT ALL on the phone, she took two days to call me back after our first brief convo (she needed to check availability) and then called back today and didn't leave a message. There are no real red flags, but I just have a bad feeling and don't want to set up an appointment. Is it worth pursuing every possibility, or are the small turnoffs enough reason to stop pursuing? (wow, it sounds like I'm asking for dating advice!)
    • I'm surprised how many people just haven't responded to my calls or emails. Is it worth it to keep hounding them, or should I take this as a sign that they got my message and don't have an opening? My list is 20 people long so far, with more to come, so I'd rather not be chasing after a bunch of them.
    • Finally, how much did you ask over the phone vs. save for interviews? If they seem to meet our basic criteria and I like the person's manner well enough, I've been scheduling interviews. 
    In other news, my mom hosted a dinner for DH's parents and grandparents this weekend, and we told everyone our boy news. Everyone was happy, though DH's grandma adamantly did NOT want to see the ultrasound photos. Superstition, maybe? I don't know -- she's a bit old world.

In other OTHER news, neither my OB nor chiropractor nor massage therapist was able to give me any good advice on my back pain/sleeping issue. The back pain is now starting around 3 p.m. and worsening as the night goes on no matter what I do. My not-so-great solution to the sleep problem remains falling asleep on my back and switching to my side when I inevitably wake up to pee. The little guy has been good to me so far, but I wish he'd cut me some slack on this one!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Arcain, congrats on the "It's a boy!" dinner.  I've never known anyone adamantly against seeing ultrasound photos...??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats Lissa on the news!

Congrats Thistle on your new little lady!!

Such exciting news!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain, have you tried a body pillow or a pillow between your knees when you're sleeping on your side?  It might help you keep your back more in line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Congrats Thistle!!!  Welcome to your new baby girl. 

Arcain, As for day cares, if you have an "off" feeling, I don't think you should pursue it further.  Why waste your time when there are other options out there, with providers who are more responsive and warm?  This person will be spending A LOT of time with your child, so if there are any misgivings, then just cross them off and move on.  I was surprised how many people did not return my calls.  Now that I think about it, quite a few people never called me back.  Of course, I found someone else, so I never called them again, but the ball was definitely in their court and they dropped it. 

I might call one more time, but if they are non-responsive after two inquiries, then they are probably full (though wouldn't it be nice if they could just call you back to tell you they have no openings???).  The only other reason I can think of for not calling back is disorganization (losing the message or phone number), which is not a good sign either.  Being in a service industry, I would think that even if you don't have any openings you would want to leave a good impression, call back, offer your apologies and offer to put them on a wait list should something change.  Even if nothing does, perhaps someone will refer a client, or consider you down the road. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Arcain, I second jennifyr's response. If you don't feel good after just a little back and forth, image how frustrating it could be trying to get a hold of them when you really needed to. There are lots of options out there, and you are starting early enough that you shouldn't be in a desperate position. It definitely takes time, but hold out for someone that is responsive and friendly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Thistle.  Enjoy your LO!

Arcain, the "It's a Boy!" dinner sounds really nice.  That was great that your mom hosted everyone, probably took the stress off of you.

Best of luck to Itsallnew and Leila in the next few weeks!

Summer - I'm a week or two ahead and I've had a rough week or so with morning sickness and I have found oyster crackers to be my best friend.  I can't get enough of them.  As for food aversions I want nothing to do with chicken, I can't eat it, smell it or even look at it. 

AFM, we told DH's parents this weekend which went very well and we told some of our close friends and family which was great.  It feels good to be able to share with others.  Still holding out another month or so before telling work.

Unfortunately my spotting is back but it's very little and dark brown in color.  I have a call into my OB but hopefully it's nothing.  Also, I have a small nagging pain in my right pelvic area.  It's nothing severe but it does hurt, is that round ligament pain?  Should I be concerned?

Finally, (man I have a lot of questions) when did you ladies start needing maternity clothes or the Bella Band?  I bought a Bella Band yesterday and wasn't sure when I was going to need it.  I start the day being completely comfortable in my work clothes but by the end of the day they feel a little tight in the waste.  I'm 7+ weeks and as of Friday had only gained a pound so not sure how my pants are feeling so tight, bloating maybe?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

clc - everyone is going to be different on when they need to start in on maternity wear based on weight gain and how they are carrying. I didn't need maternity clothes until around week 16 or 18, but there are some ladies who were in them much earlier.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, Pitt.  Hopefully I'm in the same boat and have some time.  I was overwhelmed by looking at the maternity clothes yesterday and decided besides the Bella Band and a Bella Band tank I will hold off.

Just heard from the OB and they want me to do an ultrasound today.  Apparently they are more concerned than I was and now have me all freaked out.  Heading out now, hopefully the little pebble is still strong and healthy!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Let us know how it goes CLC...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Clc -- I don't think it would be round ligament pain this early, but I did have frequent pelvic pain early on and I don't know what it was. I don't know if my OB was super-concerned, but they did have me in for an early u/s and everything was fine. I also had a bit of brown spotting around week 7 and same deal -- everything was okay. Hoping it's the same for you, and that they get you in soon for the u/s so you're not wondering!

As for maternity clothes, despite my well-chronicled struggle with the 2" waistband, I've been in them since about 13 weeks. I wore a Be Band for a good 4 weeks before that (I started showing EARLY). I think it's all about what you're comfortable with. I could have managed a few more weeks with just the Be Band, but once I got into the maternity pants, I was in love and there was no going back. If I never see another zipper or button again, I will be happy :-).

Jenn and Pitt -- Thanks for your daycare advice. All really good points. I've definitely been noting the people who seem reliable at returning calls, etc. If someone loses my message or forgets to call back, I don't really want them taking care of my baby. And you're right, I've had enough positive responses about openings that I don't feel desperate yet. I have two appointments set and a couple more in the works. Hopefully we'll find our dream daycare on the sooner end!

Lissa -- I do use a body pillow, but it's just a regular oversized one. I think I'm going to buy a Snoogle or something similar. I really need something that goes behind my back and curves around for my knees. I am such a mess, though. My allergies are exploding and I'm wondering if the pillow is a culprit. I have a severe dust mite allergy and all our other bedding except the body pillow has hypoallergenic covers. Wondering if I can find one of those for a maternity pillow. If not, it may be a choice between constant sneezing and back pain -- hooray!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Oh Arcain, that sounds miserable - sneezing or back pain.  Hope you're able to find something that works for you.

Just back from the ultrasound and everything looks fine.  The pebble is still measuring right on schedule and the heartbeat was strong (157 bpm).  They don't see any reason for the bleeding or pain so I was just told to take it easy. It was a huge relief and I was glad to have another look at the LO but at the same time I wouldn't mind a few uneventful weeks!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

great news, CLC!  I had some bleeding early in my pregnancy, as well as random pains that were never explained and everything has been normal since then. 

For maternity clothes, I didn't gain a pound until probably 12-13 weeks, but I had lower belly bulge early and my pants became uncomfortable around 8 weeks.  I didn't like the b bands (I think I am the only one ever), I found them uncomfortable, so I started wearing maternity pants early.  I am still wearing the same pants...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Thanks for all the congrats and welcomes!

Just a couple short weeks ago I felt fine, now...blarggh. Man my stomach is NOT happy...I'll be starving, but also feel like my stomach is sooo full, and have heart burn, all at the same time. Invested in some saltines, lemon hard candies, and gatorade, but nothing's really helping. I know eating frequent small meals is best, but I just can't do it. The mere thought of most foods makes my throat clench in disgust. Even water is hard to get down.

We told our parents and one close friend- everyone is very happy and still as shocked as we are :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Sorry summer!  That sounds miserable.  I would say at this point anything that you can keep down is helpful.  Personally I'm all about the starch right now: oyster crackers, bagels, grilled cheese and teddy grahams and I can't get enough ginger ale.  Is there anything that you find appealing?  My OB recommended taking vitamin B6 for nausea.  You might want to call your OB and see if they agree.

Sections
Shortcuts