October 2011 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: October 2011 Pregnancy

I was pregnant last winter, so I feel for your coat pain!  I wore a maternity coat from Target at first ($35 or so), but it really wasn't warm enough.  Then a friend passed along the coat she had worn which was just a regular winter coat, size large.  It wasn't all that flattering, but I didn't mind.  I'm sure you could find a large coat for a lot less money than a maternity coat.

I am feeling nostalgic about being pregnant at this time last year, so I hope y'all don't mind my posting lately :o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Has anyone shopped at Frugal Fannies in Westwood?  Do they sell maternity clothes?  Several of my friends love that store but none of them are pg so they don't know.  I've never been but I heard they have some great deals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

clc... i haven't been there in a long time (use to be a huge fan when I wore nicer clothes to work) ... but as far as I remember they don't have a maternity selection.  Though that might be a good place to shop for clothes that are just a little bigger than your usual size rather than maternity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

I was pregnant two winters ago, and again now. I did get a maternity peacoat type thing. I stayed warm with layers. I liked having a lighter top on something heavier over it, then the coat, though somewhat thin, was plenty warm. Plus, I tended to be warmer than usual when pregnant, so I didn't need as thick a coat as normal

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Argh, the coat issue!! I have been ignoring it too. I'm up 15lbs at 21 weeks and I can still button/zip my coats but its pretty tight.  I won't make it to the holidays, let alone until March!  I wonder if Destination maternity would have anything? I need to get on this search!

As far as showing a lot or a little, when I was pregnant with my first I was in the "little" catagory.  It is all about how big your UTERUS is, and that is what they measure with the tape measure.  This time around I've started getting the "big" comments.  Either way, they can hurt.  I have definitely said it to my friends too. I guess hearing you are "tiny- where is the baby!?" and hearing "you're huge! is that twins?" are both equally eye-rolling..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Last year I bought a spring weight maternity coat at Burlington coat factory for, wait for it... $5. They did have heavier ones too, not the best quality, prob all made of polyester! For the winter I got a down puffy maternity coat at the gap 1/2 off. They have sales all the time, the NS mall has a maternity section. I always hated the you're so small comments too. I got it all the time, like omg I was your size at 6 months!! This was in my 9th month. I wanted to wear a sign that said "I have a long torso" to shut them up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Since I am due in 6 weeks (early Dec) I was hoping to avoid the whole maternity coat issue.  Usually it doesn't get that cold until mid-December, with the worst of it in Jan and Feb.  But now with this crazy snowstorm, I may have to rethink too. 

I have been getting by with my size L waterproof jacket, but it's not warm.  I also have a large peacoat that I bought when I had gained some weight 2 years ago, so I'm hoping that will get me through until delivery.  I agree with BsBride though on the layering. I tend to run hot, so I think adding a layer and wearing a scarf and gloves should be okay with a wool peacoat. 

For those of you due in late February or March, a good coat seems like a better investment than for those of us due in December or early Jan.  At least you know you'll get a few months out of it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, Silver!  I've had lots of spotting during the first tri (8+ weeks now and still spotting).  I've had 3 ultrasounds and the baby is right on track growth-wise, so it could definitely be normal spotting.  Sending you sticky thoughts!

ETA: sorry my computer is confused by the whole daylight savings being moved back another week :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

re: the coats, last year i got a great Old Navy maternity coat for cheap. It was like $30, maybe? It was a sale they were having, but I would think they'll do somesthing similar...it may have been an online sale. Anyway, it was nice and warm, cute, and with plenty of room for a growing belly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Hi ladies, little curveball here! DD is 7 months and I got a BFP this weekend...woah.

Super scared, but excited...trying not to think of "how in the heck are we going to do this" until I get past the "omg am I really pregant" phase. I'm literally only about 4 weeks, Im' guessing, and I had some spotting earlier today. Hoping it is the "normal" kind and nothing else...but please think some sticky thoughts for me!

I can't tell anyone else yet so natrually I have turned to the BDC crew. :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Wow, Silver -- congrats! FWIW, my sister-in law had that surprise when her son was the same age. Her kids are now 4 and almost 3 and are such great little playmates and friends to one another. Makes me think having them close together might be a good idea :-). Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

thanks, Arcain! I love the idea of them being so close, definitely. I think there are a few bumps to overcome before it gets to that though...ahha. Like figuring out how the heck to breastfeed one baby and change the other one's diaper at the same time. ;-)

Couldn't wait so I'm giong to get a blood test tonight. I know there isn't much use in it, but I definitely obsess over the numbers. It will be good to just do SOMETHING.

ETA: thanks, also clc! weird, BDC is moving backwards...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Woah, Silver, Congrats!!  I can see how that would be a bit scary, but how exciting too!  Imagine how close your DD and her new sibling will be!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Congrats Silver!  Sticky thoughts to you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I know it's Halloween, the end of the month (and therefore the end of this thread) and slightly off topic, but I had to share this story of being pregnant, emotional, and taking the T. 

I left work and was rushing to make my train.  I thought I might have to pee, but figured I would miss my train if I did, and thought I could make it to North Station and even use the handy train toilet if I had to.  Lately I've had the urge to pee when I stand up, but it generally passes after I've been walking or standing a while, so I didn't think much of it. 

I was waiting on the train platform at Arlington (and waiting, and waiting) and couldn't see another car coming down the tunnel.  At that point, I knew I REALLY had to go, so I headed back up the stairs to the main platform where there are two restrooms.  The women's room was locked, and I thought maybe the attendant had to let you in.  There were two T employees talking by the turnstiles, and I rushed up to them and (desperately) asked if I could use the restroom.  The woman was pretty rude and informed me that they were "not for public use".  I clutched my 8-month pregnant belly and sadly said "oh" (that's all I could get out) before the tears came - I couldn't help it. She said "there's one at Haymarket" and turned away.  I was frantically trying to figure out if I could make it back to work or Haymarket without having an accident.  The man talking with her grabbed his keys and said "come with me" and led me to the bathroom.  As we were walking over, the woman (inexplicably) kept shouting at him to open the men's room, not the women's room, and he shouted back "but she's a woman" and opened the ladies room door for me. 

For some reason, the tears kept coming once inside, and I was just so grateful to the nice man for letting me go.  It was this strange sensation of feeling utterly helpless, vulnerable, and a little psycho for bursting into tears, along with embarrassment for even getting to that point of needing to go that bad. 

Of course, after all that, I DID end up missing my train.  Lesson learned: never dismiss an urge to use the restroom again! 

Does anyone else have any "horror stories" like this to share? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I saw someone said "good luck" silver and I thought it was a mistake! Then saw that you are pg! Omg! Let us know what happens at the doctor. Did you have MS with DD?  That's one thing I think would be very hard is dealing with a LO and having MS, ugh!   Congrats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Thanks! Although, it looks like it might end up being a chemical or mc or whatever the correct term is for this stage...I'm still spotting this morning and got a BFN on a HPT. :-(

I'll see what the blood test shows but I suspect it is going to be a very low number, I'm not very optimistic at this point. 

Thankfully, I have a beautiful healthy baby here and that helps to deal with the sad. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I'm so sorry Silver.  Keep us posted!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

lab results were positive but "very low." they told me to come back in a week but most likely that won't be necessary.

we're bummed, but life was dandy last week and will be dandy again tomorrow. I'm sure i'll be back in a matter of months... :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Silver so sorry about the results but still a little hopeful for you.  And like you said you have that beautiful baby girl to make you smile again!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Sorry about the results Silver, thinking of you!