October 2012 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: October 2012 Pregnancy

Med, so sorry you are dealing with scary test results.  Fwiw, I don't believe there's a cosmic scale of good and bad, that shiitt just happens - you definitely don't deserve this to pay for the good things in your life.  As for telling, you won't know the outcome unless you experience a loss (that can happen unexpectedly for any pregnancy) that there is anything wrong, and if there is there is, you will not be able to hide your pregnancy for much longer regardless.  You don't have to tell people about the test results when you announce your pregnancy; that information is yours to hold on to in privacy.  You have a 2/3 chance of everything being fine, and even if the worst happens, God forbid, you can deal with it with others at that time if circumstances make it obvious, a classic case of crossing one bridge at a time.  Peace and comfort be yours one day at a time.  Hugs!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Med - I'm so sorry to see your bad news. Hopefully everything turns out for the best. I agree with Kar though. I don't think there's a limit to the good things you're blessed with or that you should see this as any type of punishment. Genetics are really just the luck of the draw. It sounds like there are a lot of things this could be, some likely less serious than others. You probably won't be able to hold out 4 more weeks before people catch on to your growing belly. All you have to say is that you're expecting a baby in late April and that's that. If anyone asks you specifics (and I don't know why they would) "It's too early to tell" is a fine answer. It's the complete truth! I hope you and DH are able to stay strong!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks for the kind words.  Just to clarify, it's actually only a 1/3 chance that everything will be fine!

But good points about trying to go with the flow while we're waiting to see.  We will try to do that, though I like to plan and it's hard to stop planning.  DD and DH had a stomach bug this past weekend, which was actually good in a way because I am so busy and so tired.

So random - yesterday I went on Motherlode (on the New York Times website) and one of the recent posts was someone who had a pregnancy with cystic hygroma.  I've never even heard of it before!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I'm sorry that you are confronting these complications medfordcc. I'll be thinking about you and hoping you are in the one third for whom everything is okay. I think your complicated feelings about sharing the news of your pregnancy are completely understandable. It can be hard to be in a place that feels uncertain and scary and then have people make assumptions and react in a way that doesn't feel right/natural to you at the moment. It doesn't mean you have to explain everything to them, but it could still be really hard. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Oh med, I'm so so sorry.  It sounds like you are handling things really well so far, and my thoughts are with you and hoping little baby med is in the 1/3 where everything is fine.  I completely understand your mixed emotions about telling people you are pregnant, and also definitely understand that the waiting must be really really hard.  I worry about my own pregnancy all the time, and I don't even have a specific reason to worry.  Hopefully you will find out some good news at the next ultrasound, and I think you have passed a big hurdle with the chromosomal disorders coming back negative. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

med - so sorry.  what will you do if everything *isn't* fine?  or are you just not going to think about that until then?  sorry - i know that's an unpleasant Q and of course i'm hoping everyting IS fine, i just know if it were me my head wuld be spinning w/ thoughts about "what if."  obvi if the Q is too personal don't answer!

fingers crossed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

This is a very different subject, but is on my mind and I can't get a clear answer from googling.  Is it ok to eat cooked sausage while pregnant?  I am trying to plan my Thanksgiving menu and I have an awesome stuffing recipe that includes cooked sausage (it is crumbled up and cooked in a pan like ground beef).  Seems like it should be ok to me, but I would rather be on the safe side.

I will check my Mayo Clinic book tonight to see if it says anything about sausage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Memes, I'm definitely not an expert but I doubt the amount that you'd put in stuffing would hurt you. I think the only thing you'd have to be concerned about is the nitrates. Even then, you can probably buy nitrate-free sausage at Whole Foods, and then I don't see anything wrong with it. I've decided that the risks with nitrates don't bother me as some other things, so I don't let them stop me. 

Also, you're already planning for Thanksgiving? You're so good!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Memes, my doctor gave me a long pamphlet but I threw it out!  But I'm fairly certain it's okay as long as it's "reheated until steaming hot", like deli meat.

Thanks for the kind words, all.  We got confirmation that there are no chromosomal abnormalities at all (good), but the remaining ones were really unlikely, so it's still about a 1/3 chance that it's okay.  Just to be clear, my worries about telling people are not about them or what they'll think - they're definitely selfish worries.  I don't want to have to listen to congratulatory comments!

Stef - I definitely have been thinking about it.  I actually read the journal article about the study of diagnoses and outcomes, and put the data into my own spreadsheet so I can look at it in different ways!  For me personally, having that kind of control made me feel calmer.  Right now, what we will do depends on what we find out at 16 weeks.  Obviously if things are good we'll rejoice, but within the "bad" things, different diagnoses have different prognoses.  (e.g. there are different cardiac defects, some of which may be treatable and others that are not.)  So if they see "bad" things, the next step will be meetings with people like neonatal cardiologists and whatnot.  And then decision time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Medford, I wanted to stop by and wish you the best.  I'll be thinking of you and your family in the next couple weeks and hoping everything looks good on the next scan.  I think the way you're looking at it makes the most sense to me.  At work (sorry to relate this to work stuff but it's what I know) we try to look at every big decision in terms of passing through different gates rather than looking at the concept as a whole which can be daunting.  That way you're only looking at a small piece of the information and making one decision before moving forward which is more managable.  Sounds like you're doing the exact same thing. I try to implement the same process at home because my hubby can get really caught up in the "what if's" and it makes it a lot harder.  Best of luck in the upcoming weeks!

And best of luck to all of you ladies.  I come over here and lurk every few days even though I don't plan on rejoining the TTC/Pregnancy boards for another year or so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Med - So sorry to hear what you and your family are going through.  Glad to hear that you've received some more good news, but definitely understand there is still a lot of uncertainty.  Whatever happens, we'll be here for you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Memes, cooking stuffing/sausage kills listeria and every other bacteria if it reaches the proper temperature. Sausage, in that regard, is no different than any other meat.  I HIGHLY recommend cooking it outside of the turkey, though, because in order to reach that safe temp in the very center of the stuffing in the turkey cavity you have to overcook the turkey making it dry and tough, no offense to anyone who does this or whose moms do it, lol.  If you don't already have a couple of instant read thermometers (or better yet a leave-in probe for the turkey) get either one probe and one instant read or two instant reads (cross contamination can occur if you find one is undercooked and then you test a cooked item which is why I like two).  Pork sausage, according to the USDA, should be cooked to 145 degrees.  Turkey to 165 in the deepest part of the thigh.  Do not rely on the pop up thingy unless you want to err on the side of overdone.  They aren't designed to pop until it hits 185, and the turkey will continue to cook on the counter making it inedible. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Hi Ladies, Quick question...

I'm having this sharp pain in, well, the right side of my butt. It's a shooting pain whenever I walk. I have been having some ligament pain, but I wasn't sure if this is the same thing. It's getting hard to move around. I thought I had a few more weeks before this would start. Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It could be pressure on your sciatic nerve.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, everyone.  :)  I actually thought I was going to stay off this board for awhile, but it's actually really great to have people to talk/write to about it.

Chiclet, I think your pain sounds pretty normal and is not something to worry about (that is, I don't think it suggests any problem with the pregnancy).  However, you should definitely ask to see someone if it's giving you so much pain that you can't walk around - maybe a PT or someone like that could help get it straightened out?  One thing I learned from my first pregnancy was not to stop moving and exercising, because once you stop and then get bigger, it's hard to restart!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Phew, thanks Med. I'm not sure it's my sciatic nerve because I thought that would be more like a radiating pain and this is sharp but localized. It's so weird, sometimes walking helps and sometimes it hurts and I can't tell which one it's going to be when I get up. I was maybe a little worried that it's a blood clot, but it sounds like maybe it's just "growing pains" so to speak. But what I hear you saying is, "Don't be lazy. Go to yoga tonight." Thanks!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In response to Chiclet831's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Phew, thanks Med. I'm not sure it's my sciatic nerve because I thought that would be more like a radiating pain and this is sharp but localized. It's so weird, sometimes walking helps and sometimes it hurts and I can't tell which one it's going to be when I get up. I was maybe a little worried that it's a blood clot, but it sounds like maybe it's just "growing pains" so to speak. But what I hear you saying is, "Don't be lazy. Go to yoga tonight." Thanks!

[/QUOTE]

It's definitely sciatica.  It sounds exactly like some stages of sciatica I had with my first and my second pregnancy.  It can be radiating but it can also be sharp like that.  Also, you could eventually go numb (like strong pins and needles) and have trouble picking your leg up.  Or it could just be annoying.  Try alternating "cat/cow" position and "child's pose."  I forget how far along you are.  When I had sciatic nerve trouble with my first it was in the second trimester and it got better when she got bigger and my belly popped out more.  She wasn't resting on my back as much it seemed.  With my second, I had more trouble later on when she was big and filling up every nook and cranny.  good luck!

Sections
Shortcuts