October Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Re: October Updates

Hi Lauren!  I got the same story.  This is my first and I didn't know what to expect, but I did think it was kind of odd.  In fact, when they took my blood the paperwork said they don't do a pregnancy test but you can request one at an additional expense. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

Thanks, I'm glad to hear someone else experienced the same thing :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Kaydo - Wow 6.5 lbs at 34 weeks.  I am glad they are keeping a close eye on you.  I always thought the baby would only get as big as your body can handle.  I think your husband owes you a nice gift for this.  Keep us updated and start thinking about ways to get the party started.  Have you had your showers yet?  How did the floors come out.

Lesal - How did the glucose test go on Friday?  I hope all is well with you.

Girls it's very common not to go in for b/w.  HPT are very accurate these days.  Most Dr.'s won't have you come in until 8 weeks.  Just take your prenatals.  Congratulations on your BFP!

Rhm and Austen - How are you feeling?

AFM - We had our big Halloween party this weekend.  I totally over did it.  It's hard to not be able to do what you normally can do.  I didn't do much of anything Saturday.  I got my H1N1 shot on Friday so that's one less thing.   We started our registry yesterday that was totally overwhelming but got a lot done.  I have another u/s this week and looking forward to seeing him again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

wow kaydo, I hope the baby comes soon!  I've always heard the size determinations are not very accurate at this point, but glad they are keeping an eye on it.

occ, where did you get the H1N1 shot?  my ob/midwife office isn't getting them, and my primary care dr says not til the end of Nov.  but my mom is driving me crazy panicking over my not having the shot yet so I'm wondering if I can get it anywhere else sooner.  what costume did you end up choosing?

i haven't heard my results yet, but the 3hr glucose test wasn't so bad.  I didn't feel nauseas, just kind of groggy after the first hour.  there was a comfortable couch and I had brought a book.  and DH picked me up from it with a peanut butter sandwich and milk so I felt a million times better after a few bites of food.  the 4 blood draws are a bit much, but I survived.  I'm dreading getting my results now, all weekend I felt like everything I ate was my last meal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Lesal - I got it from my OB's office.  When I was in last time they said they were getting a limited amount and I could try and call. I got a heads up that they got them I called and they had me come in.  I think it was just a luck of the draw cause they were almost gone.  My PCP hadn't received them yet either.  Does your OB have any other ideas on where you can get one?  My DH was driving me crazy about too wanting me to call everyday. 

I am glad the test wasn't too bad.  What a good hubby bringing you a snack.  Good luck with the results I am sure everything will turn out okay. 

I ended up being a pea pod it was comfortable so that's all that mattered. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

lesal - I'm really surprised your OB isn't getting the H1N1 vaccine, since pregnant women are at the top of the "high priority" list.  Did they say why they aren't getting it?  I got mine at MGH last week (hadn't even had a chance to ask for it - arrived for my regular appointment and the nurse walked right in with it).

Overall, I'm feeling very rundown and tired.  My boss & coworkers seem to be in "Ohmygod she's leaving in a few weeks, we better make sure we give her all these things to get done before then!" mode, which is killing me (as I was literally walking out the door at 6pm on Friday, my boss gave me 3 writing pieces she's working on to edit & revise for her over the weekend - shoot me please!!).  We had houseguests on Friday night, I had a baby shower on Saturday, and yesterday was my only day to relax and/or get anything done, so I was pretty cranky about having to work on those things at home.  As I've probably mentioned before, only one person in our whole organization even has kids, so they just don't seem to get it.  And of course, I need to learn to start saying no but, at the same time, that's not always an option.  :-/

On the plus side, DH and I made a point of keeping our November calendar pretty clear (no travel, no houseguests, no baby classes, no nothing) so life should get more manageable soon.  But definitely a word to the wise for those who are less than 30 weeks along - I wish we'd cleared our calendar from about week 32, not just week 36!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Lesal -  Could your OB check with the hospital to see if they have inventory and maybe you could get it that way.  I think I remember you saying that you are delivering at NWH and that is where my doctor is located so maybe the hospital itself could help.  Just a thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I hadn't thought much about it, I actually didn't realize there were any H1N1 vaccines available in MA yet.  I have an midwife appt on Thursday, so I will ask about it then.  still waiting for my glucose results.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

lesal - can't believe you are in the 3rd trimester already (heck, I can't believe I'm in the 2nd half of the whole pregnancy!). I've been feeling this weird wiggly sensation today which almost feels like someone is tickling me from the inside. I'm so confused - is this the baby or am I just itchy? Btw, I also got my H1N1 vaccine at MGH last week. They asked me if I wanted it as soon as I got in the room. Did they say when your results would be back for the 3-hour GTT?

kaydo - was wondering if we were in the waiting room at MGH at the same time since you were there last week. I was there Wed afternoon. What about you?

lauren - congrats on your BFP! I think not going before 8 weeks is standard protocol if you haven't had any fertility or m/c issues.

occ - I'm feeling well. I also just started on registry stuff. My parents were up this weekend and my mom wanted to take me. After 2 hours in BRU, I started to get a headache and feel overwhelmed so we stopped. Need to read up more on a lot of the stuff so I know what to put on our list. How are you doing? Cute Halloween outfit!

big hellos to eoe-

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

kaydo - was wondering if we were in the waiting room at MGH at the same time since you were there last week. I was there Wed afternoon. What about you?

Haha, I always wonder if anyone in the waiting room (or any of my baby classes at Isis) is on this board, too.  But nope, I was there on Thursday.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

In Response to Re: October Updates:
    Haha, I always wonder if anyone in the waiting room (or any of my baby classes at Isis) is on this board, too.  But nope, I was there on Thursday.  :)
    Posted by kaydo

That would have been funny if we were there at the same time. Oh well! Which doctor do you see? I see Dr. Packard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I just got my gtt results - I passed!  I asked her if I passed all of the draws, and she just said 'we look at the whole thing and you don't have GD' - so I'm guessing I didn't pass them all.  I think you need 3 out of 4 or something like that.  I'm going to cut back on sugar and carbs anyway, this has given me a scare.  but thank god I don't have GD.

I cant' believe you've all received the h1n1 shot, I'm definitely going to ask what other avenues I can try to get it at my appt this week.  or maybe I'll be surprised and they will have it there.

I'm also always wondering if I know anyone from this board when I'm at class or in waiting rooms :) 

rhm, I can't believe I'm in the 3rd tri already.  the 2nd absolutely flew by.....  and I would say the tickling is the baby :)  mine started as a little faint poking or tapping, or squirming feeling, very faint.  now (29wks) it's getting stronger by the day.  not painful, but I can see and feel my stomach moving now and dh has felt it too.  it's getting pretty weird.

oh, I also started having the braxton-hicks this past week.  only 1 or 2 a day, but it's a very strange feeling.  so involuntary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

rhm - I hear you about BRU.  We had enough at 2 hours too.  Did you get your Baby Bargains book yet?  If not, you must when your registering.  We did the big stuff and now I am going to just start adding the little stuff online I find that much easier.    That weird feeling is the baby.  Isn't it so strange?  It's like your stomach is growling.  The next couple of weeks it will feel more like a baby kick but not bad or hard. 

Lesal - Ya you passed!  Great news.  Definitely ask about the shot.  I too find it strange that they aren't getting it.  I am wondering if they are just saying that until they get them in so they don't have tons of calls.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Which doctor do you see? I see Dr. Packard.

Ours is Dr. Khachadoorian.  (Love her.)

Yay for no GD, lesal!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

How weird did you guys see the article today.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2009/10/27/delays_in_h1n1_vaccine_delivery_concern_pregnant_women/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

In Response to Re: October Updates:

Great minds think alike! I was just about to post this myself. Lesal, you are not alone...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

so I did get the shot at my midwife appt today.  I got the impression they didn't necessarily know that they would be getting it in but had just received some. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

So have you all gotten the H1N1 vaccine?  I'm getting pretty scared now, there are so many sick people around and at work.  I think i'll start wearing those SARS masks!!  I have an OB appt. next week so hopefully he'll have some there when I go.

Oh I had my NT yesterday.  It was so much fun!!!  I was pretty surprised.   I guess it's always fun to have a u/s though.  The doc said the neck skin looked nice and thin, so hopefully the blood tests won't say anything different.  I measured exactly where i thought I should be at 13W 3D.  So just a few more days and I'm out of the 1st trimester!  Yay!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmieC. Show AmieC's posts

I haven't gotten my H1N1, and probably won't, despite the fact that I'm high-risk. I'm just not comfortable with the way it's been made and the lack of testing on pregnant women. (My background in immunology and history of m/c isn't helping either.) My OB actually agrees with me, based on the problems the last time there was a swine flu vaccine given to pregnant women. He says there are risks on both sides, and he's letting his patients decide which risk to take.

My sister, who is a nurse, sent around the following list of things to do to NOT get the swine or any flu- I'm trying to follow this instead.

1. Frequent hand-washing.

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face unless you have just washed your hands. 

3. *Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (or use Listerine). *H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.    

4. Similar to 3 above, *clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water using a Neti pot or *blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.*

5. *Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). *If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.

6. *Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

That is really a great, helpful list of things that aren't hard to do - thanks Amie!

Sections
Shortcuts