pain on right side, back to abdomen, anyone had this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

pain on right side, back to abdomen, anyone had this?

HI All,

I really don't want to completely search the internet as there are so many articles that just scare you more so but I'm really curious if this has happened to any of you.  I'll try to keep it as short as I can. I thought this may be a better source.. most of my friends that have been pregnant haven't had anything like this.. 

I'm 15 weeks pregnant.  Saturday we had a large gathering at our house where i had to play host and clean all day, etc.. on my feet all day.  Sunday i woke up and was in pain on my right side.. feels like it's in my back around my side, to my abdomen.. just beneath my ribs.  Sunday was so bad I could not lay, sit, stand, etc.  The only comfortable pose was a child's pose (from yoga) with my butt in the air. I ended up calling the oncall OB-GYN.  She told me to try tylenol 1000 mg every 6 hours, heat, ice.  She called me later that afternoon and asked me if i was able to do that and get a couple hours nap in.  I had.. nap was probably an hour or so.. but the pain would come and go.  I called her again at 8pm and she told me to keep doing what i was doing, get through the night and call my OB in morning.

So I did that, was ok for the most part sleeping.. needed to stay on left side only.. all other positions killed, and would get at least a couple hours of sleep at a time.  in the morning, called OB who said it sounded non-pregnancy related so instructed me to see my primary.  I did that and she got on the phone with my OB and they both sent me to ER to rule out possible appendicitis.

We were in the ER for 14 hours!  I had two diff ultrasounds, bloodwork, urinalysis, MRI where i had to drink awful substance.  Good news, baby is fine, uterus looks fine, blood work was fine, no infections noticed, no appendicitis.  Bad news.. no answer what this pain is.  They are looking at a few things that I have some symptoms of but not all..  one, ovary torsion.. twisting and untwisting of right ovary.. when it twists, it's painful, when it's untwisted, i can relax a bit..  this one would be the worst case in my mind because if it twists and kills itself they said they would need to do surgery where there is a risk of terminating the pregnancy.  second, a kidney stone that is too small to see in the ultrasound or MRI..  third, just musculoskeletal..

the pain was the worse Sunday.  Monday it was in spurts, and yesterday and today are the same... in spurts but not nearly as bad as Sunday.  I can sit fine now.. i can lay.  the frustrating part is i can't stand for more than 10 mins without needing to sit or hunching over holding my side. 

anyone had anything like this?  at first they said maybe round ligament pain to me but said it's too early for that as its closer to 18-20 weeks.. 
    thoughts?  sorry so long

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: pain on right side, back to abdomen, anyone had this?

Is it possible its gas? I'm thinking maybe not b/c of where you say the pain is, but I know when I have gas pains really badly the best position for me is child's pose so thats' why I'm suggesting that.

I hope you get it resolved soon, but I'm glad to hear everything is ok with baby!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

that was one of the first things i thought and i mentioned it to one of the many doctors we saw but they all seemed to dismiss that... :-(  i haven't really had them bad before.. are they so bad you can't sit, stand, lay at times? and then just kind of a dull pain throughout the other times of the day?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Yes, I have definitely had gas pains like that - not related to pregnancy, and I've heard they can get bad during pregnancy as well.

I've had gas pains where a few days later I was sore from it...it was exhausting. this happened most recently during the time which I know now I was ovulating, so I wonder if that's always been the case and I never knew. But obviously, you aren't ovulating. :-)

Wish I had some better advice for you!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I get similar pains after a day of hard labor (i.e., housework), but typically they only last 24-48 hours, and I only started getting them since being in my third trimester... But they are always in the same spot: lower right-hand side of my back and around my side.

I'm glad they did all kinds of tests (although I'm sure that 14 hours in the ER was NOT fun) and could ensure the baby is fine.  Could you just have pulled a muscle?  I know that sounds oversimplified, but is it possible?

I've had a couple of bouts of horrible gas pain while pregnant, so bad I couldn't walk, but I've never had it last more than a day or two...

It's scary to get strange pains while pg - I hope either it just magically goes away entirely, or you get some kind of answer soon...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Thank you guys.  Yes, my first inclination was pulled a muscle but seems like everyone dismissed that.  I brought it up to at least 4 of the doctors..  they did say it could just be muscular skeletal though with things moving around some (as their 3rd option) so let's hope that is what it is and it passes soon.  I guess i just need to take it easy a few days..  I barely ever sit still though typically so it's driving me batty.  haha

I just really hope it's not the ovary contorsion thing and that I never have to go back to the ER ever again.. bad experience there for sure.. the waiting game and through 2 shift changes..  and at least 10 people poking and prodding me. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Gall stones?  Rumbling/infected appendix (as opposed to ruptured)? The pain I had for both of these sounds similar to what you are describing.

ETA - I had a rumbling appendix (where there can be an infection internally, it wasn't realized until they actually removed and it was full of pus.... sorry... gross!), so nothing showed up on any scans (including the one where you drink that putrid liquid!!).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

It sounds exactly like the pain I had, right lower quadrant - radiating to the back. However I was about 23 weeks at the time. It was excruciating. I was doubled over, couldn't walk or stand. Sitting in certain positions was ok, but it was still there. It lasted about 14 hours and went away for no apparent reason.  It has only come back in brief spurts.  My OB said it was ligament pain, she said some women can get severe pain.  It seems weird to rule out ligament pain just because you're only 15 weeks, I'm sure it's very possible.  Hope you feel better soon - that pain was terrible! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I had gallstones and it was some of the worst pain ever.  It feels like a knife going in exactly where you  are describing and then the pain will radiate around to your back and shoulder.  It comes and goes on its own seemingly willy-nilly.  It can last for a few minutes or hours.  Did they look SPECIFICALLY for gallstones in the ER?

The treatment for gallstones is gallbladder removal which is usually a very simple out-patient proceduer with minimal risks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Thank you for your posts and replies back.  It really helps to know that these are other options that aren't as severe as the ovary contorsion.  they supposedly looked at the gallbladder but I don't remember them talking too much about it but they did ask if I had pain by my shoulder (which I don't).  they did say the blood work and urinalysis showed no signs of any infections..

betty does sound very similar..  I was thinking the same thing.. why rule it out just cuz i'm only 15 weeks and not 18.. but I guess they are the experts so I trust them. 

I need to look up more about rumbling appendix and gallstones and ask my OB about them too to make sure. 

The pain was soo bad on Sunday.. terrible pretty much all day.  Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday it was more sporatic.. in bouts with a dull pain in between.. Today, knock on wood, is much better, more of just a dull ache and an uncomfortable feeling sitting in certain positions but better... here's hoping whatever it is, is working its way along... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

There are often no other signs of gallstones other than pain.  Definately call your PCP and get in there.

Other possibilities are a cracked rib or muscle tear which can both be super painful.  BUT if the tylenol isn't helping with the pain, sounds like gallstones.  They can shift around as you move too which is why the child pose is more comfortable.  I'd get your PCP to do a scan ASAP.  Keep us posted!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

When I had a gall stone attack (the pain is sporadic, as it occurs when the stones either 'bang' together, or when the stones move and block the gall bladder opening), I wasn't even checked for it, as they said I was too thin and young to even consider it might be that... and was then sent home and told to take Advil and see my PCP the next day if it happened again.  It did, and thankfully she got me straight into surgery the next day.

Sections
Shortcuts