PCOS and getting pregnant?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChicMomonaDime. Show ChicMomonaDime's posts

PCOS and getting pregnant?

Anybody have any experience or success stories in getting pregnant while having PCOS?  Want to share how you successfully got pregnant, without the use of INVITRO? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Re: PCOS and getting pregnant?

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 based on blood work and my symptoms, however I never had an ultrasound on my ovaries done so I didn't know if I had any cysts or not (never had symptoms of cysts, just irregular cycles). I was on the pill for about 10 years in order to regulate them. Last year I did have an ultrasound done for an unrelated reason, and lo and behold, no cysts on my ovaries!

Anyways, I went off the pill in July of last year and got PG in September. Due in June with a healthy baby girl :)  I was very worried about not be able to conceive or needing the help of meds or more. What worked for us was tracking my cycles (immediately after I went off the pill, no lag time!), using the 21-day clear blue digital ovulation tests (NOT the monitor).

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

I was diagnosed when I was 18 and was told I would probably not be able to conceive naturally, and if I did want to have children somewhere down the line I would have to think about invitro. I was not really concerned with it too much since I was 18 and had no plans of having children anytime soon.
    I was on and off the pill, and different forms of birth control to regulate my period but the pill makes me a crazy person so I decided to get off of it. My partner and I were not TTC but at the same time we weren't taking any precautions because of my "condition".
    After about 8 months off the pill I found out, to the doctor and my surprise that I was pregnant. Needless to say we were all in shock! I now have a very happy, healthy beautiful 6 month old baby girl!! Miracles can happen when we least expect them!
    I have 3 other friends with PCOS who are pregnant, or already have children, all conceived without invirto. When I was pregnant and I told people my story, it was more often than not that the person I was talking to said something along the lines of- oh the same thing happened to so and so. It is very common for women with PCOS to feel so defeated and broken when they are diagnosed and the dr tells them they may not have children. Its hard to keep your chin up but you must!! Good Luck!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16 (but that may have been a misdiagnosis for endometriosis).  I went off the pill at 29 and had a normal cycle for about six months; after that it was completely irregular.  After not even getting a period for about 4 months, I saw my ob/gyn.  I did a round of progesterone pills to regulate my ovulation, then did two rounds of clomid.  The second round was successful and my son was born in 2009.

I didn't go back on the pill after my son was born and my cycle has been fairly regular (albeit painful due to the endometriosis) ever since.  We're trying for number two, but I doubt I'll need the drugs this time around.  We're just using a home ovulation kit this time around.  If nothing happens or it seems like I'm not ovulating, we'll go back to the Clomid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I have PCOS and got pregnant naturally. I had been on and off the pill for years and know that at least in the more recent years, I sometimes ovulated when off the pill. My cyles have always been irregular. I went off the pill for the last time and we stopped preventing in late Jan 2011. My cycles were irregular and most likely anovulatory until about July or August. Even after they became regular, they were just really light spotting. I had a miscarriage in mid-November then started charting and had one completely regular cycle, followed by an extremely early ovulation. I got my current bfp on New Year's Day, almost a full year after going off the pill.
    I think probably some weight loss and green tea may have helped me achieve pregnancy. I was not overweight to begin with, but doctors often say that even a slight loss can really improve your chances. Also, I had a leep in June which probably affected my cm. I didn't know it at the time but green tea supposedly helps and I was drinking a lot of it to try to keep up my immune system during a really stressful time. I noticed EWCM for the first time since the leep with my bfp cycle.
    I don't know if my story will help you any, but I wish you the best of luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

I agree with the above poster. I was on a diet when I became pregnant, I was down about 15-20 pounds and the doctor said that women with PCOS can benefit in the conception arena with weight loss. Also I was not having regular periods around that time, or any other time in my life since I got my first period, so it was hard for them to actually give me a due date. I was about 6-9 weeks when I found out I was pregnant and I didn't get a due date until after an internal ultrasound which confirmed my EDD, which was a wash because the baby came 10 days after!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

There is a whole spectrum of symptoms associated with PCOS and depending where you are on that spectrum, getting pregnant may be no more difficult than anyone in the general population or you may need the assistance of a reproductive endocrinologist. 

Usually, with a PCOS diagnosis, infertility treatment is covered by insurance sooner than for people that don't have an underlying condition, so that's the good news.  For some, simply going on metformin is enough to regulate the insulin cascade that affects ovulation.  For me, I got pregnant with fraternal twins on my 3rd round of clomid and never had to go the IVF route. 

My understanding from my RE is that most women with PCOS have a weight at which they'll start ovulating regularly again and that varies from woman to woman.  It's further compounded by the fact that PCOS makes weight loss SO MUCH HARDER than it is for "everyone else" because your hormones are sending signals to your body to keep the weight on in a way that doesn't happen for people w/out PCOS.  Seeing a nutritionist who specializes in PCOS (there is one at Boston IVF who just wrote a book, but I can't remember her name) will help.  Many women with PCOS are on a path to insulin resistance or are insulin resistant, so following a diet with a low glycemic index is important and will help as far as weight loss goes.  Taking metformin can also help with the insulin issues.  And, of course, excercise will help with weight loss.

The bottom line is that a PCOS diagnosis doesn't mean that getting pregnant without assistance is impossible.  For most, it's more difficult, but IVF isn't always necessary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

While I'm not the OP, I did want to thank you all for sharing your stories. I was just diagnosed with PCO (not PCOS). I'm on my first round of Clomid right now but the doctor isn't hopeful that it will work for me. We can't afford the FSH injections that I really need, so we're basically biding our time until we can either switch insurances or save up the money. I'm thrilled to hear all of your success stories!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know a woman who had success with "just" Clomid.  She had twins, actually.  She confessed she only tried it because with the chances of having twins that way being only 5% (according to her RE) they figured they'd be in the 95 (they really wanted just one).  But, ready or not, she was pg with 2 after a very short time on Clomid, and they'd TTC for quite a few years before that.  So, I hope you're ready, Chicklet - you never know!  GL!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar - I hope we are the 5%! My doctor seemed to be so down on having twins, but I'd love it. Twins run in both my parents' families, so it's always been a joke with my cousins that one of us is going to end up with twins. If God wants to give me two babies for the price of one (so to speak), I'll take it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Daisy - that makes sense to me about ovulating once you reach some certain "ideal" weight. It must be different for everyone and I've heard about women that were overweight getting pregnant after just losing a couple pounds and still being in the overweight category. I do not have typically have issues with my weight and it's not that difficult for me to gain or lose but still I've noticed that I seem to ovulate when I'm around 120 or under. My comfortable weight that's easiest to maintain is between 120-125 which is healthy for my height. When I started ovulating regularly last summer/fall my weight had dropped down around 115. So basically, my point is that you don't automatically need to be overweight and have difficulty maintaining a healthy weight to experience the same issue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicklet - best wishes for being in that 5%!  Between it running in your families and the increased chances of having twins from Clomid I bet your chances are higher than that. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar - Kind of but not really. There's less than a 10% chance that the Clomid even works for me in the first place. Since my body seems to like not producing enough estrogen to ovulate, the RE doesn't think the Clomid is going to be able to trick it into producing more. Getting pregnant at all would be a miracle, nevermind getting pregnant with twins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Cicirose--good point.  I am overweight, so I tend to have subjective thinking about this, but you are right that for those with PCOS, being greater than the ideal weight for ovulation does not necessarily mean that one is overweight.