Period after pregnancy, birth control etc.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Period after pregnancy, birth control etc.

I am wondering when you got your period back after you had yiour baby.  With my first DD I was nursing exclusively and it came back when she was about 9 months old.  My second DD is 9 months and I keep feeling crampy like I'm going to get my period...then nothing.  I feel like I am 13 all over again with irregular periods and the fear of having a stain apppear on my pants. LOL

Also, what is everyone doing for birth control? I didn't go back on the pill after my DD was born and we've been using condoms (and practicing abstinence, LOL, kidding!!) but I definitely need to get on more of a long term birth control plan.  I am hesitant to go on the pill because there is a history of breast cancer in my family and I have this idea that I don't want to inject other hormones into my body.  We are still on the fence about having baby # 3 so don't want to do anything permanent or even semi permanent until we make a decision on that.  Just curious what others are doing :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: Period after pregnancy, birth control etc.

I'm probably no help here because I haven't given birth yet, but have you read TCOYF? That book assumes a normal cycle, though. Was your period regular before your pregnancy? Anyway, you'd need a fist period, but then you could chart and figure out your cycle that way. Other posters have talked about the non-hormonal IUD. I forget theblame, but I think it's copper has a different mechanism than hormone release (or blockage).

Im not planning to go back on BC at all because I have PCOS and ovulate maybe once or twice a year. If by some bizarre chance we catch that random O day and I get pregnant, we'll have two and be done. Unlikely, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

After my first was born I got my period at 6 weeks postpartum.  I was at my checkup and while the OB was down there she was like "You said your lochia stopped?  OK, so you're going to get your period."

With my second, I got my period at 5 weeks postpartum. 

With both I menstruated relatively regularly pretty quickly.  I spotted a lot on the minipill with my first (I don't normally spot at all) and I didn't feel protected by it. I am on the regular pill now after my second.  It significantly reduced my milk production but since I had a real oversupply (pump 10 oz in 10 minutes, wake up in a 2-foot wet spot if I roll over in my sleep oversupply) it was actually kind of convenient. I can tell that if someone had a more normal supply of milk getting on the regular pill might reduce your supply too much for it to be worth it.
    I have friends who have had good experiences with IUDs.  There are hormonal and non-hormonal versions, with different risks/side effects depending on your choices.

I'm allergic to latex so condoms are not a convenient option for us, but I can appreciate your hesitancy to use birth control with your medical history.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm 8.5 months postpartum now...I am pretty sure I've started ovulating again, but haven't had a period yet.  I am nursing.  With DD, I pumped until 6 months (she never latched, so we pumped and supplemented) and didn't get a period until about 8 months, so I'm not surprised. 

Everyone I know with an IUD has loved it...  No pills to worry about, lighter periods, and super effective.  When I had the BC discussion with my MW, that was what she suggested, too. 

I'm on the fence about what to do...strongly considering an IUD, but we're also talking about the "if and when" of a third child.  We're blessed with a son and a daughter, so I often have people tell me I'm off the hook on trying for a third, but as one of two, I always wished I had more siblings, so I'd love a third.  The strategy we're planning on now is once DS turns one, we'll stop preventing (using condoms now) and just see what happens; then if I'm not pregnant again by 40 (I'm 37 now), I'll get an IUD.  We'll see if anything changes in that plan as time goes by...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I got my period back at about 5 months PP with #1, but I was about 9 months PP with #2 (I BFed both).  I didn't use any BC before I got pg with #2, but went on the minipill at my 6 week appointment after #2 was born.  I thought the minipill worked very well with less hormones and went off of it when we decided to go for a third and was pg within 3 months. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I EBFed (well, EPed, but he only got BM) with DS#1 and I got my first PP AF at 8.5 months. With DS#2, I had a Mirena inserted at 8 weeks. I EBFed until 12 months (and still am nursing 2x per day). I *think* I got that first PP AF at 11 months, but it's so hard to tell with the Mirena. I love the Mirena. Insertion was a breeze, my AF is barely anything now (maybe a day or two of liners, that's it). It's great not having to think about BC at all. I did have about 3 weeks of spotting after it was inserted. It's annoying, but nowhere near as bad as lochia. 

We briefly discussed "the snip" because we knew that we were done with two, but neither DH or I felt comfortable making any kind of permanent change. My OB said that, given how great IUDs are these days, she'd rarely support a tubal for a patient.

ETA:Mirena had absolutely no effect on my supply, either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It's hard to say when my first period was because I got a Mirena IUD about 6 months after giving birth.  I was BFing/pumping and had not had a period yet at that point.  Once I got the IUD, I spotted off and on completely unpredictably for 2-3 months.  It was pretty annoying, but also light so not that big of a deal.  I've now had it for almost 2 years and I'd say I've only really had my period twice for 2-3 days.  (Prior to baby I had regular periods, mild cramps, slightly long cycles.)  A friend who has the copper IUD had really heavy periods/cramps for many months after insertion and still gets her period monthly, though it's no longer super heavy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

my sister is a post-vasectomy baby.  Just keep in mind there's a 2% failure rate (which goes down with follow-up checks to be sure, which not all doctors do/insurances cover).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I got a Mirena at my 8 wk PP visit.  I was BFing at that point and hadn't had a period and am now still EPing.  Insertion was a breeze.  I still get random spotting (DD is 10 mo and I still EP), but haven't had anything that I would call a real period. Nothing that requires more than a liner.  Insurance covered it in full, too.  I just paid the regular office visit co-pay.  I  love it.  No period, no running to the store for pills or pads, no remembering to take it on time. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I didn't have a period until I was about 13 months or so postpartum--basically when I stopped pumping at work.  Then I got pregnant again on my first post-period cycle--we were trying but it still took me by surprise because it took 15 months to get pregnant with my DD!  I never went on any birth control--we just used condoms for a few months, because we knew we would probably try for another sooner rather than later, and I didn't want to reduce my milk supply.  This time I will definitely get an IUD.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I love my mirena! I rarely ever spot! I do get my monthly break outs though-that's the down side-but I've always had that problem. I did have 3 week period when I first got it, but after that nothing. I have no idea when I got my first period, prob 4 months-but I wasn't BF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

rama, i'm late to your post but i just got a paragard IUD (non-hormonal, unlike the mirena). i didn't want to go back to any hormones due to some issues i had pre-pregnancy.  so far so good (but it hurts to get an IUD put in - i wasn't prepared for that! - and apparently a non-hormonal IUD can give you heavier periods - mine was a little heavier, like i needed a super plus tampon every 3 hours for a day or two). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Abstinence here too!  LOL, just kidding. ;)

Like Trouble, I went on the minipill with DD at 6 weeks post pardum and had a good experience.

This time I decided to go for the IUD. I ended up with the Mirena after having the hormone discussion with my ob/gyn. There are trace hormones with the Mirena, but they are not in your "system", instead they are directly on site where the IUD is placed. I don't know the exact details, but your dr. should be able to discuss this with you if hormones are a concern. The Mirena lasts 5 years, but you can get it taken out any time. I had constant "spotting" for about 6 months after it was put in (I use quotes because it was more like a period, unlike November, than pure spotting), so I do like to warn people about that! It was annoying. But it seems to have mostly stopped now.

I honestly can't remember when I got my period after DD. After DS I got random things that I thought might be my period, but nothing that started up regularly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I have the Mirena as well.  Love it.  Had it inserted 6 weeks PP.  It hurt having it inserted and I also had cramping afterwards.  I spotted as well for the first couple of months but now no period and no thinking about taking the pill every day.  You dont have to remember to get the next pack of pills every month.  Not sure when or if I got my period.  DS is nursed and drinks pumped milk. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can get pg before your first period if you catch that first ovulation.  Happened to a friend of mine who not only didn't know (or think of) that but she thought you couldn't get pg if you were bf'ing so imagine her surprise when she felt a kick at 5 months pg, her very first inkling she was pg because she never had a period after ds and was bf'ing.

so, if you want to prevent another pg definitely do so before you get your first period - you might get pg right out of the ovulatory gate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I know this is slightly off topic... but I am actually planning to get my tubes tied during my c-section.  I'll be 39 and DH 42... and we are absolutely, positively done at 2 (thought we were done at 1!).  Anyone on here have experience with this?  I've done some reading and I think the failure rate is 2% (same with the big V for guys).  I know I'll still have a period, but mine was getting to be 1 to 1 1/2 days with only the need for about 2 tampons total.  So I'm fine with that until it eventually goes away.  I figure since I'm getting the c-ser, might as well do it then.  Going to ask my OB about it at my next visit, but would love some anecdotal info.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

IPW, my mom did that with her third child (my little brother, who is 15 years younger than me) and I think she had a good experience--she got it all done at once and never got pregnant again.  She was 41 when he was born.  I think if you feel you want the procedure done, it makes sense to do it when you have the c-section.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

IPW, my cousin had her tubes tied after #3, during her c-section, as well.  I think it makes sense to do it then, since you're already in surgery, and from what she said, her recovery wasn't any different from her prior 2 c-sections. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Thanks for all of the info everyone.  I didn't know much about IUDs but now seeing how many of you have them and are happy about it, I'm sort of interested in getting one.  I think I will ask my OB at my next appointment which is in the early fall.  What is the insertion process like? HOw long do you have to use backup birth control for?

IPW, I think it makes sense to get the procedure done while you are already having surgery, and especally if you are 100% set on two kids. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm sure everyone is different, but I didn't find the insertion to be all that different from a pap - just took longer.  There was definitley cramping for a couple days after and you sort of feel it - probably just because you know its there.  Like you feel a tampon but you really don't.  Does that make sense? I'm pretty sure it is effective right away.  I don't remember using anything else.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It sounds like people have slightly different experiences with the IUD.  I was nervous about the insertion, but I would say it was like a pap x5.  It hurt for maybe 30 seconds, but not too intensely.  The doctor gave me a prescription pill to take a couple hours before the appointment.  I believe it was a small dose of something to soften the cervix.  Ask about that!  Afterwards, I felt crampy for less than 24 hours.  Took it easy and used a heating pad that night, but I think I was fine the next day.  I never felt it like a tampon.  I also believe it's effective right away, but definitely confirm that!  Oooooh and one thing no one has mentioned is that you're supposed to check for the string and you really have to reach in there to feel it.  That being said, I mentioned checking at my subsequent annual visit and the doctor said not to worry about it - you would know if it went somewhere.  (Who would have ever thought I'd be posting about such things on a public forum!)  Just as a side note for any readers who might be interested in an IUD.  A friend who has never had a child had one inserted and it seemed like it was much more painful for her.  If I remember correctly, she even threw up.  I believe OBs usually recommend it to women delivered vaginally.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

For me, the worst part of the insertion was the lidocaine shot before the insertion. The insertion was much easier than I expected. Maybe it was because childbirth was so fresh in my mind--where DS came before the epi had totally kicked in!

My OB also recommended taking two Advil before the appointment and gave me a few 800mg Advil for afterward. I think I only needed one of those.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I don't normally post here but was looking for something.
    I have the mirena and insertation was like others described.  A quick 30 second or so burst and done.  I took some Motrin before and after and that was it.  Did feel crampy for a few days and then on/off for a while which was new to me as I had never had a cramp before.

The "throwing up" is a physical reaction that affects some woman when even a pap is done.  I forget the reason.  If you have been fine with paps wouldn't worry to much about.

I was very nervous but all for nothing truly.

LOVE IT!  It did take a solid 4 months for me to say that but well worth it.
    It is also for everyone not just those that had children vaginally.