Popular Baby Names

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Popular Baby Names

The Social Security list of popular baby names for 2011 came out today.  Thought you ladies might be interested as we are all trying to pick a name for our little beans:

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2012/05/14/sophia_jacob_most_popular_baby_names_of_2011/?p1=Upbox_links

When I was growing up, my name was really common and there was always at least one other kid in my class with my same name, a little annoying.  When I was naming DD # 1, her having a different name was really important to me and DD # 1's name is in the 200's on this list.  Just checked and the name we are most strongly considering for DD # 2 is in the top twenty! uh oh! But, trying to pick a name for DD # 2 has been challenging because DH and I can't agree on many girls names that work with our last name.  Although we personally don't know any other kids with the same name we like, the odds are that she would definitely not be the only girl with that name in her class. But, we love the name so I think we will probably go with it! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

Re: Popular Baby Names

If it make you feel any better, I read an article about the 2011 list today, and it said that the concentration of popular names is way lower than it was when we were kids. Something like 25% of kids used to get top ten names - now its closer to 10%. So you aren't likely to have 4 Sophias in class today the way I had 4 Jennifers in mine. That said, I am due shortly, and I had to nix DH's favorite name (Emma, which I also think is beautiful) even though I only personally know one kid named Emma b/c it is just too popular. And my other two kids' names both made big popularity leaps the year after I named them. (Apparently I am not the most original thinker LOL.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

A friend of mine chose surprisingly trendy names for her children (she's not really a trend watcher).  She said she just liked them, and what's the point in picking something you like less?  I thought that was an interesting perspective.

For our second, we were stuck between two names, one very popular name, and one very unusual name.  In the end we went with the unusual name, and I'm glad because it really suits her.  I know people have their opinions about the name, but  I've learned not to worry so much about what other people think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Well said, Micromom. It's like anything else about parenting -- you have to do what works/is best for you.

(This from a Jennifer who learned to laugh that so many of us were out there -- 8 on my dorm floor in college! We were like a little club....)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I hated my unusual name which isn't really that unusual since I graduated from both high school and then college with girls with the same name.  No one could spell or say it.  It drove me crazy.  When I was little, I told everyone I was changing my name when I turned 18!

Sections
Shortcuts