Pregnancy-April Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: Pregnancy-April Updates

KAM you should be able to call the company and get the tools to keep it from dropping down.  I almost used a drop down crib for DD#2, but the crib was no longer available when I needed it and I wouldnt have thought twice about it.  I did end up with a crib from Walmart that was $120 and it almost matches my other daughters crib except it doesnt convert :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Let's see. Getting caught up again...

Desi--how did the glucose test go?

thistle--good luck tomorrow! I hope you hear a nice, loud, fast little heartbeat.

itsallnew--great news! yay!

KAM--I've been pleasantly surprised at how early and consistently I am feeling movement with #2 as well. We will use DS' crib for the new bub, but we didn't buy the drop-down the first time around. I'd definitely look into the "fix kit" as June suggests.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Desi17. Show Desi17's posts

kiwi- glucose test was ok, I was expecting the worst, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. I haven't heard anything as of yet, so I'm thinking no news is good news :)  thanks for asking!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Lots of great news, congratulations to all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

KAM, I don't know much about cribs, but I do know that you should always use a new mattress.  There have been studies that show a higher correlation of SIDS with old mattresses. I know a newer study was done, but this is what I found with a quick search:

http://www.healthychild.com/toxic-sleep/sids-crib-death-factors/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

jennifyr--did you read that whole link? I found it to be inflammatory and full of misinformation. If you read until the end, the book on which this site bases its recommendations openly advocates not vaccinating infants. The site itself strongly insinuates that vaccines can cause SIDS and possibly even death with an "wrapped mattress" (whatever that means) that may not be related to SIDS. Vaccines have been heavily studied and their safety verified numerous times. That makes me question all their conclusions and recommendations, actually.

Also, that research from NZ is just plain weird. My DH is a "Pakeha", as are many of our friends and family. We've never heard of any of them "wrapping a mattress". Also, a close family friend is a plunket nurse (basically a nurse who makes regular home visits to families with infants for the first year of life. This service is offered to ALL families as part of the NZ healthcare system.) Neither she, nor any plunket materials, have ever mentioned "mattress wrapping". Also, this site makes it seem as though SIDS is epidemic among the Maori population and that's simply not true, either.

I'm all for people researching and making informed decisions, but as with lots of stuff on the internet it requires a critical eye. I would be much more inclined to accept a recommendation from my pediatrician as opposed to a web site with a clear bias. (And, I will admit that NOT vaccinating infants and children is the one parenting thing that drives me absolutely bonkers. So, that's me making my bias clear.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

I decided to get a new crib and mattress for DS#2. I got one with free shipping from Amazon for $115 and it does convert to a bed. I didn't want to spend the money, but I feel better about it.

AFM, I have my 34 week appointment today. I hope it is uneventful as well!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Second prenatal appointment this morning, nearly 13 weeks, normal heartbeat :)  Thank you all for the good wishes--it's a huge relief.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Congrats AJuly!  LOVE the name more than you know!

Congrats and welcome Jennifyr and Thistle.  Thistle, so exciting to hear that HB!

AFM, I had a DA this week and was very short even though I hadn't been in for 6 weeks.  I guess that's good!  Next time is that pesky GTT though.  I actually like the orange drink though so I don't mind as long as the results are normal :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thank you all for the well wishes! :)  It's been a quick 4 days!  Here's the birth story for you, not at all what I was expecting for a 1st baby. I was due the 20th and delivered on the 18th, I really thought I'd go at least a week late! No signs of labor and I was feeling pretty good the last few weeks. 
        I woke on the 18th around 6am with mild cramping that started to come and go pretty regularly. At that point I was still wondering if I was even in labor. DH started to time the contractions with the online tool and they were all over the place 6 min or 5 min apart then 7, nothing consistent.  I started packing my bag at that point because I was pretty sure they were contractions and today could be the day!  In a few hours it was quite clear that they were indeed contractions, I called my MW around 9:30 and told her that they were about 4 min apart for 1 hr and she said sounds like I'm not drinking enough fluids. So I started drinking a lot more, and it didn't help.  By 1:00, they started getting pretty regular around 3.5 min apart and occurring about every minute. (Uh So much for the 5 min apart for a minute rule, I was still at home!) DH had to run to drop the dog off at daycare, and by the time he got back they were really painful, I couldn't talk through them... He called the MW and she asked to talk to me and when he said "yah, no she can't even talk to me" she said we should leave.   Seeming it was my first baby I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that early labor was usually not like this and you could go about your day. Even the MW thought that there was no way I could be this far into labor.      
          So we headed into the hospital 1/2 car ride, worst ride of my LIFE let me tell you, it was not fun.  Sitting down and contracting is the worst.  We got the hospital at 2pm and was brought right to a room to check my progress.  The nurse said, oh just a little cervix left, you're going to have this baby soon.  I said, a little cervix, what do you mean?? She said you're an 8!  I was totally shocked, I figured i'd be around a 3-4.   So I was brought to a l&d room and got in the tub right away to try to relax a bit (riiight, relax?) an hour or so in the tub and then I got out to push!  I got out of the tub around 4, and I delivered at 4:16.   How's that for a quick birth?  It was quick, but not painless let me tell you. I wanted to go natural from the beginning and it was not a hard thing to do since I was already 8cm. when I arrived and an epidural may not have been an option anyway!   
      I can't believe he's already here! Time to go hang out with him now, he's making his getting ready to cry squeaks.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

ajuly - congrats!  Sounds like it was a stressful day, but at least it went fairly quickly once you got to the hospital! 

kiwi - I'm sorry I posted that link and stirred everything up.  That was not the recent research DH and I had read.  I couldn't find it, but read a little bit of that site and it sounded similar, so I went ahead and posted it.  I should have read down further.  I agree with you on the vaccinations thing - luckily, a lot of new research has come out to refute the old  (IMO erroneous) findings that vaccines can cause Autism.

And I guess since I'm now posting here anyway I should "come out" and say that I am currently 7 weeks pg with my first after a m/c in December.  So, I have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but am thrilled to be on this journey with all of you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats ajuly!!! 

That seems crazy that the MW didn't have you go to the hospital when contractions were 4 minutes apart, but I guess you would have been there for a while.  I meant to mention after my delivery that I have no idea what "they" mean by not being able to talk through a contraction.  It seemed to me that I could always talk through them.  I wish they would have explained it better because I too stayed home too long and was stuck in traffic having contractions every 2-3 minutes.  Others may want to get more clarification!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Ajuly - what a great birth story!  I can only wish that mine will be like yours - that's what I'm hoping for!  Congrats again.  Will you call him Will or Billy or anything? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Ya, I wish I had known that I was at home during the "transitioning" stage, and that early labor should NOT feel like it did.  It was suggested that I get out and go for a walk...that was not happening.  It all worked out in the end though!  
      We are going to stick with William for now, and I'm sure by the time he is in kindergarten he will have picked his own nickname for himself!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, ajuly!  16 minutes of pushing - wow, was he ready to come out!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Congrats AJuly!  What a fantastic birth story! 

Congrats Thistle on hearing the heartbeat!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Congrats AJuly, Thisleflower, & Jennfyr78!

AFM mixed news from our scan today. We're having a girl! So excited and scared about that at the same time! I'm through and through a boy mom, I sing songs about p00p and boogers, not sure how to adjust to a girl. :) so excited about the clothes though! :) Our not so good news is that we have a two vessel umbilical cord, or single ubilical artery. which puts us at risk for restricted growth and preterm labor. The nurse advised us not to look at the internet, and whaddyaknow, here I am on the internet. So we go for our level 2 scan with the perinatologist next week. Good thing I'm scheduled to be insanely busy this week at work so I can't stress all day...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

KAM - I have 2 friends that have had this. Both were fine in the end.  Just more monitoring.  Congrats on the Girl!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

KAM, congrats on the little girl! :) I'm sorry to hear about the umbilical cord, though. Fingers crossed that everything works out OK. Good luck at the next ultrasound.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Thanks ladies! It's funny this one time the internet has made me not freak out. I've been able to read stories of other women who've been through this and everything has been fine.  I'll definitely feel better after another thorough scan next week to check the heart and kidneys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Congrats on your little girl KAM. Sounds like things will be ok, just some extra monitoring.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Congrats Kam on your little girl!  I feel the same way with expecting a boy but being a girls mom right now :)  We will figure it out. 

Wow, seriously where does the time go?  25 weeks now and really huge!  So how is this for freaky?  I just realized that my EDD for this little guy is exactly 2 years after I conceived my daughter.  Literally!  I know because it is one of my BFFs anniversary and we conceived DD on her wedding day :)  How's that for funny?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations to ajuly!  And congratulations on the little girl, KAM. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I've been lurking for awhile and just had to contribute.

KAM, my coworker was just telling me yesterday that her daughter had the single artery thing. Her US appointment wasn't with her regular doctor and she was totally freaked out by all the risks the new doctor told her. Then she met with her regular doctor the next month and she told her that it's a non-issue, that she'd delivered tons of babies with one artery and they all were fine. My coworker's daughter came out perfect as well. I'm sure your little girl will be no exception!

Congratulations!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Congrats KAM on the little girl.  We are still adjusting that we are having a boy, we know everything about a little girl. 

AFM-I think I am about in the third trimester, 27 1/2 weeks???  I see mixed notes on which week you turn.  I feel GREAT!  Thank goodness besides that fact that all I do is sweat.  This week has been ultra killer with the mild humidity that we have been having.  I am not sure I will make it till July.   I guess I will either be living in AC or a pool as soon as it gets that hot.  I dont have a doctors appt for a few weeks and then I go to everyother week which is exciting!  I still think the baby is breech because I feel a lot of kicking low but who knows.  Doc told me that she could feel the position at about week 30.    I thought DD moved a lot in my belly but I think this lil dude is crazier, maybe I just forgot.
    DD and I have been getting outside a lot which feels great.  We bought her a bunch of outside stuff on Craigslit to keep her busy when the baby is born, she is loving it.  I am also loving the fact that I got 4 outside peices for 80 bucks!!!  yeah for craigslit.

Well thats all for me at the moment, hope everyone else is doing well and getting outside to enjoy this weather. 

Sections
Shortcuts