Question about having our floors refinished...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Question about having our floors refinished...

I'll obviously ask my doc about this but I'm curious to know if anyone has first-hand experience... we're pulling up carpet in the soon-to-be baby's room as well as the hallway and staircase, and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath.  Do I need to get out of the house for a few days while they do it?  (I wouldn't be here when they were working during the day anyway, but I mean at night?)  The project is pricey enough without adding hotel to it (not to mention finding one that will let us bring our dog).  Plus we unexpectedly had to buy a new fridge last weekend... oy.  Home ownership + impending parenthood = expensive!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Re: Question about having our floors refinished...

I don't have first hand experience while pregnant, but my guess would be that you shouldn't be there.  We had our floors refininshed before we moved into our house, and when we went there after they had completed the project, it was horribly dusty and smelled of laminate, despite the fact that the windows were open and they cleaned up pretty well.  The dust was all the way up the walls.  I got a pretty bad cough and allergies from it.  So bad that I had to leave the house.  However, my husband did react at all, so who knows.  Definitely ask your doctor's opinion, but that's how it was for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I agree with am.  Definitely check with your doctor, but that stuff gets everywhere.  They suggested we not be there and I wasn't pregnant.  How long are they saying they would need to be there? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

When my MIL had her floors refinished (front hall, stairway, and living/dining) they got a hotel for two nights.  Not sure if they had to, but it was my understanding that they had to be out of the house just for the simple fact that they couldn't get up the stairs to the bedrooms/bathroom.  The smell wasn't strong when I went over a few days later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

In Response to Question about having our floors refinished...:
    [QUOTE]I'll obviously ask my doc about this but I'm curious to know if anyone has first-hand experience... we're pulling up carpet in the soon-to-be baby's room as well as the hallway and staircase, and refinishing the hardwood floors underneath.  Do I need to get out of the house for a few days while they do it?  (I wouldn't be here when they were working during the day anyway, but I mean at night?)  The project is pricey enough without adding hotel to it (not to mention finding one that will let us bring our dog).  Plus we unexpectedly had to buy a new fridge last weekend... oy.  Home ownership + impending parenthood = expensive!  :)
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

Have you ever smelled freshly refinished floors? They stink! We looked at a house that had them refinished a week before and I couldn't stand to be in the house the smell was so strong-and I wasn't pregnant. When I was 7 mo pregnant we had our tub glazed, and we had to get a hotel for the night the fumes were so strong. The company told me I couldn't be around while they did it, but after it would be okay...but one whif of those fumes and DH made the decision to get a hotel for the night. It was a pretty funny scene of me in the hotel that night-I had just baked a pecan pie and I wasn't leaving home without it...so I was waddling around the hotel 7 mo pregnant complaining about the rooms carrying a half eaten pie and DH with about 18 bags for one night. What a vision! At least I made the staff laugh. So I would book a hotel, plan your baking accordingly and maybe turn it into a mini babymoon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahbth. Show sarahbth's posts

Edit -  This is Whatawag.  I just realized after posting that Sarahbth must have left her cookies on my laptop while reading/ posting.  So ignore the name and Avatar .

If your house is structured so that you can tack a sheet over the doorway where people are working to filter dust before it goes to other rooms,  you can be there while they sand.  If the floor being sanded was carpeted, but painted  over the wood, any pre 1972-1976 paint being removed could contain Lead, and fine sanded dust can enter your system.  Workers should wear breathing (not just filtering) masks, and you should stay out of the hiouse until the last particle of sanding dust is gone.

If the new finish is oil, lacquer, or thin layers of semisolid wax, no problem.  If any polymer or paint - stay away while applied plus 36 hours.

This from advice we were given when we refinished 12 rooms' floors and trim last year.  Hubby and I, and the couple and babies downstairs, Sarahbth and her DH, moved to my parents' old apple barns once used  for apple, cherry and squash  harvest pickers.  From the Surgeon General to March of Dimes to our hardware chain, all said the same thing.
         WhatawagSBNy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

whether you are there or not, COVER EVERYTHING WITH SHEETS! seriously, that dust gets everywhere.  tack sheets up over the doors of rooms they aren't doing to protect those rooms.  cover everything else with sheets.  be prepared to wash every single speck of wall and surface and window to get that freakin' floor dust off!  Pull up pets bowls so they dont' have dust in them.  Better yet, hire a professional cleaning company to come in and clean!  You'll maybe have to do it again, but they'll get the worst of it. Also, do NOT use your vacuum cleaner to vacuum up the dust.  You'll kill the machine, it's not meant for such fine dust.  Use a wet mop to get most of it, and make sure you wash the walls as well.  then you can vacuum up the rest. 

Also, hire a company that says they will vacuum up after themselves "so you'll never know we were here."  they are lying, their vacuum job won't be perfect, but it will make a serious dent in the disaster. 

But once the work is done and the floors are done, it will be so beautiful it will be worth it! I'm sorry I scared you, but it's just so dusty. 

Also, do NOT leave sheets and let them do it themselves - they won't. Do beg, borrow and steal sheets from all of your friends and neighbors to cover every couch, table, shelf, chair, sofa, blah blah. And tuck them in so dust doesn't get under them.  Then you'll do massive loads of laundry and deliver clean sheets back to friends and neighbors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Go the hotel or motel.Save yourself,your husband and relatives.
    Make a list of things you want completed before the child comes. Have these ready to go before you deliver.
    You will not have money for anything and will be twice as crowded after the child is born.
    How many times will you go through your first pregnancy or second pregnancy?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

By the by, DH and I still haven't made a decision about the floors (got some quotes and pulled the carpet but haven't decided which company to go with yet) but just this weekend, I found this company online:

They refinish without sanding, and without harsh chemicals so you don't have to leave your house and it doesn't make such a mess!  I got a quote by email that was VERY reasonable (ie. actually a lot cheaper than traditional refinishing) and am going to have them come by tomorrow to see the floors in person and tweak the estimate.  So we'll see.  DH is dubious and says he'd prefer the traditional route but we'll see... I'm excited about the possibility of cheaper and easier right this moment.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

Why not go for a waterbased stain/finish as opposed to an oil based????

They have some great water based stains available...quick dry, less smell and minimal fumes. 

This is a good time of the year because you can open windows.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

In Response to Re: Question about having our floors refinished...:
    [QUOTE]Why not go for a waterbased stain/finish as opposed to an oil based???? [/QUOTE]

Because they'd still have to sand the floors which will kick up a bunch of dust, etc.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

In Response to Re: Question about having our floors refinished...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about having our floors refinished... : Because they'd still have to sand the floors which will kick up a bunch of dust, etc.  
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

When I did my floors, I sealed the whole house off with a large piece of shrink wrap....the sander was outstanding...almost no dust.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I had more dust from sanding my walls than from stripping my floors....and it was a cheap rental machine from Home Depot.  I bet the flame retardent chemicals in carpets, mattresses and kids clothing are far more toxic than anything you do with your floors.

Good luck...think about how nice they will look when they are finished!!!!   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Fun update about our floors... we scheduled the dates for a company to come refinish the floors in the baby's room and hallway (for a weekend when I'm going to be away, so I don't have to worry about fumes) but, more excitingly, I emailed the tv show This Old House about our stairs - that they're a mess, too expensive for us to replace the hardwood completely (over $2000), we're thinking of painting them but it looks like there's lead paint, I'm 7 months pregnant, etc and they just emailed me back saying they might be interested!  The producer actually said, "Would you be interested in putting new oak treads down if you didn't have to pay for it?"  Umm, YEAH we would!  I'm trying not to get my hopes up (because they actually strung us along about a different home project we submitted last year and then ended up not doing it) but we'll see.  

Stay tuned.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Great idea Kaydo that would be fantastic if they did it.  Keep us updated.  When are you having the floors done? I don't envy you when we did our renovation that was one of the bigger messes. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

We're doing the floors the 3rd weekend of October.  We're just doing the baby's room and the hallway so I'm hoping it won't be TOO big a mess.  Somewhere down the line maybe we'll do the 3 other rooms that are currently carpeted with hardwood underneath but they're all full of furniture right now and I didn't want to tackle a project that big right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

One project at a time approach will save your sanity.  Also, budget.  Usually when you lift a wall to wall and the floors are done perfectly, you still want new rugs   in walkway areas and under areas where sliding back chairs etc. will damage floors, as well as for sound absorption.
           One of the great things to me about getting rid of W to W is how wonderful it is to be able to send the smaller carpet out for steam cleaning when needed!  But buying area rugs does add to the budget for re-finishing floors.
         With a new baby you do NOT want the slightest noise to echo about room to room due to all hard surfaces.
          This old house - the best thing is not just free materials and labor.  They are persnickety about quality,  and in stair risers or stair caps quality and durability is everything.  How many times in your life do you want an only flight of stairs out of commission?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Ok, well, our floors are officially refinished and it was a bit of a bust.  They came last Thursday, sanded them, and put the first coat of finish on them.  DH and I stopped by very briefly on our way out of town for the weekend to just peek at them and I HATED them.  When sanded, they became MUCH lighter than they had been (our furniture is almost entirely dark) and I was hugely disappointed.  DH and I got on the road, and he convinced me to just call the contractor and ask how much it would cost to sand off that first coat of finish, and stain them (because, really, he didn't want to listen to me b*tch for the next 15 years about how much I hate the light floors).  So I did, the contractor said it would be no big deal, and only $150 more to do it.  I told him great, what I really want is a dark stain like walnut (to match our furniture, which he could clearly see in the rest of the house).  DH chimed in "But not TOO dark!" because he still wanted to be able to see the grain of the wood.  Contractor said no problem, he'd use a "special walnut" finish.

I was happy.  But in hindsight, what I SHOULD have done, when we got to our hotel, was looked up "special walnut" because you know what?  It doesn't look anything like what I think of as walnut.

So, long story short, we got home today and I still hate the floors.  I wanted something like the Dark Walnut and what I got is the Special Walnut (third row down, in the middle)

http://www.victorianfloorfinishing.com/page4.html

Yep.  Not even close.  Doesn't go with our furniture at all.  I'm VERY bummed, but I feel like it's partly DH's fault for his "not too dark!" comment, and my fault for not looking up the stupid stain.

So yeah, that's my advice for those planning to refinish floors before baby arrives.  Don't just "have them refinished" - have an actual conversation about what freakin colour you want them to be in the end, and make it very clear to your contractor.  Or, like me, you'll spend $500 on floors and then find yourself looking for the biggest area rug for the baby's room possible.  :((((

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

K - so sorry to hear your disappointment with your floors.  But I just have to chuckle (though not at your expense) because you love dark floors and my DH has been busily sanding a DARK cherry finish off of our floors to have them all refinished before the baby comes.  We have eastern white pine old wide planks on the second floor that are soooo light (we love it) but are bummed that we couldn't get the newer fir (c. 1965) to come up very light.  It's winding up to be more of a honey, but it has grown on us, so hopefully your stain will grow on you too! 

$500 really is a great price!!  At the rate my DH is getting everything done I fear that the baby will be starting kindergarten before we finish so I might go the route of a professional too!

Sections
Shortcuts