Questions, Questions!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Questions, Questions!

Ok, few things I have on my mind - and they are kind of stupid but I figured I'd ask. 

1.  We should wash all baby's clothes before he/she wears them, right?  Right now DH and I use ALL free and clear detergent - is that ok to use for baby too until we get some Dreft?

2.  On the list of what to bring to the hospital  for use during L&D it mentions "sour" lolipops.  Any ideas why sour and what kind I should get??    Honestly, I love candy, I should know this!!

3.  Do you HAVE to wear a "Johnny" when you're in labor??   I know whatever I wear is going to get wrecked but I would like to wear something of my own so I feel more comfortable during labor.  I feel silly asking the docs this question.  

4.  I have been leaking for quite some time now.   Only at night though, maybe because this is when I am not wearing a bra.  I REALLy do not want to wear a bra when I sleep but do you think I should?   Also, I have to get nursing bras for the hospital.   And nursing pads too, right???

Thanks Ladies for any and all help!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Re: Questions, Questions!

In Response to Questions, Questions!:
    [QUOTE]Ok, few things I have on my mind - and they are kind of stupid but I figured I'd ask.  1.  We should wash all baby's clothes before he/she wears them, right?  Right now DH and I use ALL free and clear detergent - is that ok to use for baby too until we get some Dreft? We washed most of DD's clothes before she wore them.  Before your baby comes, I would suggest just washing a few things in newborn and 0-3 sizes that you are likely to need in the first few days (like onesies and a couple of outfits, socks, a hat, a swaddling blanket or swaddle me), and wash the rest as needed.  We never used Dreft and have always simply used All free and clear.  It's totally fine since the only thing you are trying to avoid is the dyes and perfumes.  I don't think you need to spend the extra money on Dreft.  Later on, if you find your baby doesn't have sensitive skin, you can just use whatever.  We still use the ALL free and clear, but we always bleach some of DD's clothes since she gets ridiculously dirty these days.

2.  On the list of what to bring to the hospital  for use during L&D it mentions "sour" lolipops.  Any ideas why sour and what kind I should get??    Honestly, I love candy, I should know this!! Not sure why sour, maybe it helps if you get nauseous?  I brought popsicles and sucked on those (they had a freezer to keep them in).

3.  Do you HAVE to wear a "Johnny" when you're in labor??   I know whatever I wear is going to get wrecked but I would like to wear something of my own so I feel more comfortable during labor.  I feel silly asking the docs this question.  Nope, you can wear whatever you want (or at least I could).  I wore yoga pants and a beater old t-shirt. 

4.  I have been leaking for quite some time now.   Only at night though, maybe because this is when I am not wearing a bra.  I REALLy do not want to wear a bra when I sleep but do you think I should?   Also, I have to get nursing bras for the hospital.   And nursing pads too, right??? I didn't wear a bra at night, but I didn't leak all that much either.  I did leak a little, but nothing that was bothersome enough for me to even think about wearing a bra at night.  Of course, I HATE bras and wish I had been a child of the 60s so that I could burn all mine.  I did have two pairs of nursing PJs for the hospital, and a nursing tank top to wear home, so I didn't have a nursing bra (I waited until my milk came in before I got fitted for the bras).  I believe I had pads to stick in the tank.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

Posted by happy2bpg[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WEDN07. Show WEDN07's posts

1.  We should wash all baby's clothes before he/she wears them, right?  Right now DH and I use ALL free and clear detergent - is that ok to use for baby too until we get some Dreft? Personally, I only washed one outfit (the coming home outfit) because I wasn't sure how big the baby would be and didn't want to wash things that might need to be returned. If all the clothes you received were gifts then this is not a big deal. In that case, go ahead and wash at least all your newborn and 0-3 month stuff because you will need this once baby comes home. We use Tide Free and Clear and it is fine!

2.  On the list of what to bring to the hospital  for use during L&D it mentions "sour" lolipops.  Any ideas why sour and what kind I should get??    Honestly, I love candy, I should know this!! I had c-sections both times so I did not have to "labor", but I will add that the only stuff in my hospital bag that I needed was an outfit to come home in, my cell phone charger and my toiletries. Everything else was useless. I actually wore johnnies in the hospital because they check you down there every hour and you had to have something "accessible" on anyway. I didn't want to buy a nightgown just to get it all bloody and gross so I wore the johnnies and just brought an outfit to wear home.

3.  Do you HAVE to wear a "Johnny" when you're in labor??   I know whatever I wear is going to get wrecked but I would like to wear something of my own so I feel more comfortable during labor.  I feel silly asking the docs this question.   Oops! See the answer to question number two.

4.  I have been leaking for quite some time now.   Only at night though, maybe because this is when I am not wearing a bra.  I REALLy do not want to wear a bra when I sleep but do you think I should?   Also, I have to get nursing bras for the hospital.   And nursing pads too, right??? I have to sleep in a bra with pads on every.single.night. I have a stellar milk supply (did with DS as well) and this morning I woke up to soaked nursing pads (sorry if TMI). I forgot to wear pads yesterday and all of a sudden I felt my letdown and I started soaking through my shirt! Good thing I was home and not walking through Target or something! It depends on the person though as far as supply goes so I would be prepared just in case.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

WED makes a good point about them checking you -- I think I did in fact take my pants off and just labored in my t-shirt (I have to have done that since I had a room with a tub and went in the tub -- although maybe I was naked in the tub?)  I really can't remember now, all I know though is that I did not wear a johnny.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

I'll answer the first question: We rarely washed new baby clothes and our daughter was just fine; We have never and will never use baby detergent. We use Purex Naturals on all of our clothes.  Too many people told me about skin issues when they switched from Dreft to the household brands as their kids got older.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

As for Dreft...it has perfume in it so you are probably better off with the All free and clear.  I do like the Dreft stain remover.  I agree with the previous poster who said you don't know how big the baby will be.  It might be a good idea to wait and have someone wash some stuff for you when you are in the hospital if that is an option.  That is what we did.

As for the sour lollipops...I think if you have been craving sour you should bring them.  Some women crave sour during pregnancy.  I guess they would be better than ice chips for keeping your mouth from getting dry.  Personally, I brought popsicles when DS was born (at Mount Auburn).  DD was born at UMass and they have popsicles for you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Oh yes, as for the nursing bra...I think i heard somewhere that you should actually wait to be fitted for one until after the baby is born.  I am sure if there is a lady grace near you they will be able to help you there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

SUPER helpful information....thank you so much everyone!!!!!

I was thinking that Popsicles sounded soothing but was kind of concerned with the logistics.  Wouldn't they melt before we got up to L&D?  My mom said maybe I could bring the unfrozen flavor ice and ask the nurse to stick them in the freezer when we get there, but then it would take time for them to freeze up so.....maybe I'll just go get some of those "preggo pops" they have.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I put the popsicles in a little cooler with a couple of ice packs, and then put them in the freezer when we arrived on L&D.  They were fine, but we live only 10 minutes away from the hospital and were only in intake for a short time as well.  I guess we never thought of them melting (you really are considering everything).  I think they may have had popsicles on the L&D floor already (I delivered at Newton-Wellesley), but we forgot about that and brought our own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, few things I have on my mind - and they are kind of stupid but I figured I'd ask.  1.  We should wash all baby's clothes before he/she wears them, right?  Right now DH and I use ALL free and clear detergent - is that ok to use for baby too until we get some Dreft? I think as others said, ALL is fine.  And as others said, wash some things up to 3 mos but not everything if there is stuff you can return.   You'll be amazed at how much clothing you get!  Returning onesies that were too small or sleeping gowns that I was never into using bought plenty of diapers and other things that I didn't have.  Most babies don't end up being that sensitive and the little undershirts and receiving blankets they use in the hospital are laundered regularly with industrial strength detergents anyway as one pediatrician told me.  One thing I will recommend for down the line, Oxy Clean Baby.  It is awesome.  For really bad stains and blowouts, I use it to soak before laundering.  I also sometimes add a scoop to the wash to "boost" things up.  It totally gets EVERYTHING out.  I also have the regular oxy clean spray to pre-treat if I don't feel a full soak is necessary.

2.  On the list of what to bring to the hospital  for use during L&D it mentions "sour" lolipops.  Any ideas why sour and what kind I should get??    Honestly, I love candy, I should know this!!  I've never heard this.  I hate sour candy, so maybe I ignored it.  A lot of hospitals stock popsicles, italian ice, etc. 

3.  Do you HAVE to wear a "Johnny" when you're in labor??   I know whatever I wear is going to get wrecked but I would like to wear something of my own so I feel more comfortable during labor.  I feel silly asking the docs this question.   I would imagine you could wear whatever you want.  I guess they would want "access" for checking, using the monitors, etc, but why couldn't you wear what you are comfortable in.

4.  I have been leaking for quite some time now.   Only at night though, maybe because this is when I am not wearing a bra.  I REALLy do not want to wear a bra when I sleep but do you think I should?   Also, I have to get nursing bras for the hospital.   And nursing pads too, right??? Thanks Ladies for any and all help!!  I didn't leak, but was pretty "full" so I was uncomfortable without something at night.  Like another poster suggested, the nursing tanks were great at night and in the hospital - I got some at Wal Mart and Target.  I also found "light support" sort of sports bra style nursing bras for at night at those two stores.  They were very comfy.  If you get pads, I recommend the Lansinoh disposable ones if you go the disposable route.  The Medela disposables are ok too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

MM379 --  I've never seen Oxy Clean Baby.  I LOVE Oxy Clean, so I am surprised I haven't noticed the baby version.  Where did you get it?  Also, do you know what the difference between that and regualr oxy clean is? We use regular Oxy Clean when laundering DD's clothes regularly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

AM1028, to be honest, I've never compared!  I actually had never used regular Oxy Clean and was given the Baby Oxy Clean in a gift basket of all baby laundry/cleaning items (cute idea BTW - dreft, dreft stain stick, baby oxy clean, baby hangers, some various organic cleaning products, and a few other things I'm blanking on all in a hamper that matched the nursery).  I do use the Baby Oxy Clean now on some of our own clothes and it works great.  DS actually has pretty bad eczema at times and  Dreft or the Baby Oxy Clean both are fine and don't aggrivate it.  I have since found Baby Oxy Clean at Target in the baby section, not with the rest of the oxy clean in the detergent section, and at Babies R Us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, few things I have on my mind - and they are kind of stupid but I figured I'd ask.  1.  We should wash all baby's clothes before he/she wears them, right?  Right now DH and I use ALL free and clear detergent - is that ok to use for baby too until we get some Dreft? I've been using All free and clear since before we had the babies.  It works great.  I don't see any reason to use Dreft.  I washed all of their newborn and 0 - 3 clothes beforehand, but I bought most of them secondhand, so that was a major reason.  More recently (they're 12 weeks now), I've had them wear new, unwashed, clothes and they've been fine.

2.  On the list of what to bring to the hospital  for use during L&D it mentions "sour" lolipops.  Any ideas why sour and what kind I should get??    Honestly, I love candy, I should know this!!  I had a c-section, so I couldn't tell you....

3.  Do you HAVE to wear a "Johnny" when you're in labor??   I know whatever I wear is going to get wrecked but I would like to wear something of my own so I feel more comfortable during labor.  I feel silly asking the docs this question.   I dont' know about during labor, but I just wore a Johnny at the hospital.  I did bring a pair of nursing pajamas, but I was overly optimistic about the size and ended up not being able to wear them.  One thing to consider is if you end up having a c-section, is that pajama bottoms might be uncomfortable the first few days b/c of the incision site.  And someone will be in to check you at least once a day, so accessibility is an issue....

4.  I have been leaking for quite some time now.   Only at night though, maybe because this is when I am not wearing a bra.  I REALLy do not want to wear a bra when I sleep but do you think I should?   Also, I have to get nursing bras for the hospital.   And nursing pads too, right??? I didn't bother with getting bras ahead of time.  I was at BIDMC and they have a cart that comes around and I got fitted and bought them at the hospital.  Of course, my milk didn't come in until 3 or 4 days after they were born and I've had production issues all along, so you may have a greater need for these things ahead of time than I did.  Over the past couple of weeks, I've started leaking on occasion--usually when it's been too long since pumping and one of the babies starts crying, but I haven't felt a need to wear a bra to bed or wear pads as it usually doesn't happen during the day.

Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from happy2bpg. Show happy2bpg's posts

Daisy - NO WAY!!!  Your twins are already 12 weeks!!!!!   WOW!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Questions 1, 2 & 3 seem to be pretty well answered, but I'll put in my two cents on question 4 - Nursing Bras - If you are leaking they can help keep the mess/wetness contained. I got a few nursing tanks from Target, and really soft, non binding "sleep bras" from motherhood maternity, and I wear them with the Gerber brand disposable pads to sleep in at night. I prefer the gerber pads over the Lansinoh ones. The individual wrapping seems like a bit of extra packaging I don't need, and the little bit of stickum that is supposed to keep them in place usually winds up stuck to me, especially when I move the flaps to nurse. But I find that (this might be TMI, so bear with me) if I don't wear a bra/pads, that when I nurse, the other side drips. So I am a big fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, few things I have on my mind - and they are kind of stupid but I figured I'd ask.  1.  We should wash all baby's clothes before he/she wears them, right?  Right now DH and I use ALL free and clear detergent - is that ok to use for baby too until we get some Dreft? I wash all of DS clothes before he wears them-but I'm obsessive that way (MIL was hurt that I wouldn't just put DS right into the clothes she brought from Europe-mind you she had a thing of feta cheese explode all over her bag...). I bought the Tide free and clear stuff when we finished the Dreft thinking I'd just wash everyone's clothes all at the same time-I still do DS's stuff seperately-all those velcro bibs would ruin most of our clothes-At 8 months I'm starting to was a few things in with our stuff and DS seems to be doing fine with regular tide with fabric Softner (DH bougth the wrong type).
    2.  On the list of what to bring to the hospital  for use during L&D it mentions "sour" lolipops.  Any ideas why sour and what kind I should get??    Honestly, I love candy, I should know this!! Bring something to keep your mouth moist while in labor-what ever you like. My labor was so short I didn't even have time to consider this so I can't add much.
     3.  Do you HAVE to wear a "Johnny" when you're in labor??   I know whatever I wear is going to get wrecked but I would like to wear something of my own so I feel more comfortable during labor.  I feel silly asking the docs this question.  I just wore the johnny the whole time-After my water broke things were continually messy so I would save your clothes and wear the johnny-or a sports bra and big T-shirt-be comfortable you're not judged on style while in labor or after. 
    4.  I have been leaking for quite some time now.   Only at night though, maybe because this is when I am not wearing a bra.  I REALLy do not want to wear a bra when I sleep but do you think I should?   Also, I have to get nursing bras for the hospital.   And nursing pads too, right??? Thanks Ladies for any and all help!! My favorite thing was nursing tanks- buy a bigger one with the shelf bra and that's all I wore for days after giving birth. Life was much more comfortable in that than a formal bra or braless. I also bought the Avent disposable nursing pads-I didn't end up using them much but I found them to be a good deal at Desitnation Maternity in Natick.

Best of luck!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I just wanted to add a comment about the johnny during labor.  I really would check with your doc or hospital about this (you could ask when you do your hospital tour, or just give a call to L&D).  In addition to the docs/nurses needing to check you, you also need to consider what happens in case of emergency.  If you end up needing a c-section, it might just be easier to be in the johnny than having to worry about getting changed or having them cut the pajamas/nightgown off of you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

If you want popsicles but are afraid of them melting - pack them in a small cooler or one of those insulated bags they sell at the grocery store for bringing home cold/hot foods.  I say the one extra bag is worth the comfort if you have a specific popsicle you would like!