Registry- BRU versus Amazon??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Registry- BRU versus Amazon??

I need to put together a registry and I was debating whether to go the BRU route, or Amazon... or maybe a combination?  I thought that things would be much cheaper on Amazon but many things seem to be the same price.  Any thoughts or experiences with one versus the other?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Registry- BRU versus Amazon??

I just shopped for items on my granddaughter's baby registries - she registered at Target (I was surprised by the size of their infant gear section) and Babies r Us, most of the items she wants being in Target. From a shopper's point of view, I can tell you it was much easier to drive over to  Target, pick up the items I wanted, and have it done.  I'm a person who likes to actually see something before I buy it.  As you found, there wasn't much difference in price between Amazon and Target - I did google a few.  Just a grandma's point of view.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I would do an Amazon registry AND a BRU or Target registry. I prefer doing my shopping online in general, but when I buy a present I want to enjoy the experience by buying it at the store, wrapping it up, and bringing it to the party myself. But you can get great stuff on Amazon that you can't find at Target or BRU (and for a lot less money, too). Make sure to register for an Under the Nile blanket head toy!

Personally, I would go with BRU over Target. Target's baby departments vary wildly by store -- the one near us is always trashed and nothing is in stock -- and their website is awful. BRU is expensive, but their stock is reliable, their stores are all the same, and their website is pretty accurate.

You could also ask your registry information disseminator to let people know that if they find an item for less money elsewhere, they can email him or her to have it removed from the registry (for instance, marshalls/tjs always have boppy pillows and covers for a fraction of what they cost at Target/BRU).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crackersandcheese. Show crackersandcheese's posts

I registered at BRU but I am obsessed with Amazon.com. In my experience, everything is cheaper on Amazon. You can join Amazon Moms and you get free 2 day shipping plus you can do their subscribe and save program for diapers and they are 30% off. I swear I will place an order at 3pm sometimes and the box is on my doorstep the next morning. With free shipping! I'm amazed by it. I have a 7 month old and when he was 9 weeks one of my friends told me not to buy anything from BRU because Amazon is cheaper. I haven't set foot in a BRU since and I don't miss it!

Anyway, Amazon is definitely cheaper, but for registry purposes, I think many people want to actually go to a store and pick out their gift, see it, feel it, etc. I would suggest registering at both. Maybe see what items are significantly cheaper on Amazon (bigger things seem to be cheaper - swing, bouncy seat, car seat, monitor, etc.)  and put those on that one and leave the more cutesy things or things people might want to check out before buying on BRU (bedding, toys, blankets, swaddles, etc.)

I hope this helps. I realize my response wasn't completely related to your registry question, but I get overly exicted about Amazon.com!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Amazon mom is the BEST and has ruined me for all other internet shopping. I just can't bring myself to pay for shipping. I'm too spoiled.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I did both Amazon and BRU.  I know people who won't shop online (older people who won't use their credit cards on the internet) or have to see the gift in person.  So I actually only got a few things off the Amazon registry but all of it off of BRU.  I liked Amazon because I registered for a stroller that they don't sell at BRU and cloth diapers and diapering accessories that they don't sell at BRU either.  There were some things like our infant seat that was $20 cheaper on Amazon, but some stuff was the same price.   
      You'll find that there are some people who love to shop online and others who don't so I def. would not do just an amazon registry. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Target's baby departments vary wildly by store -- the one near us is always trashed and nothing is in stock -- and their website is awful

I guess, as you say, lemonmelon, the Target's vary store by store.  One closer to me, I'm not even aware has a baby gear section.  The Danvers store has a great baby section, fully stocked, and the store itself is very neat, clean and organzed.

I agree with the others, in that whichever stores you choose, you do one besides Amazon

Good luck and happy baby time.  Is it a boy or a girl?  We're shopping for their first little boy, who'll be a welcome delight in a family made up mostly of little girls!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Thanks everyone!  Your insight is useful.  I don't know whether I will necessarily disseminate the information, but a few people have been asking, so I thought I would put together a registry for some things I want/need.  I also thought that by creating a registry, I could take advantage of the discount to complete the registry later on.  I am also a big fan of Amazon Mom and I will probably put the bigger gear items that are cheaper on Amazon on my Amazon registry.  But, I do understand that many people like to shop for the gift in person, so it should be convenient for them.  Thanks for your advice!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Registry- BRU versus Amazon??:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone!  Your insight is useful.  I don't know whether I will necessarily disseminate the information, but a few people have been asking, so I thought I would put together a registry for some things I want/need.  I also thought that by creating a registry, I could take advantage of the discount to complete the registry later on.
    Posted by itsallnew[/QUOTE]
    If someone is throwing you a shower, give her or him the information. That way things don't get weird and grabby. But definitely create a registry -- people love to buy baby stuff! And ask your mom friends check it over and give you honest feedback, because you'll probably register for useless stuff (wipes warmer!) and not for stuff you really need (breast pads!). And they'll know the best brands.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LowellwTwins. Show LowellwTwins's posts

I did both registries and found it worked out well. Lots of people that couldn't make it to my shower shipped things from both Amazon and BRU. I got an equal number of things from BRU (including gift cards), so I'm glad I did both. It was helpful for me to go see some of the items in person too. I agree prices were pretty close, although a few things I found cheaper on Amazon. 

One thing I noticed, when BRU shipped something to my house, they were pretty smart with minimzing extra packaging. Larger items, like a car seat were just shipped in the car seat box with a packing label on it. Amazon repacked everything in Amazon boxes and I was flooded with unnecessary packing material and giant boxes! For example, a double snap'n go stroller--already in a huge box--Amazone packed in even a larger box with tons and tons of paper padding. May be a minor point for some, but if you're as hot and tired as I am this summer, breaking down boxes and packing material for recycling became a huge pain on the Amazon stuff.

Sections
Shortcuts