Registry Questions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: Registry Questions

I think that baby carriers are totally appropriate to registries, however, I don't have great advice. I had a 9 pound baby, and the moby always seemed a little too stretchy for me. I would recommend trying a few on after you have the baby or have DH try it (so don't take the tags off). another thing- we used to leave one in the trunk of each car, so we always had something just in case, so maybe keeping both would be a good idea?

RE the OP. we got two high chairs- both are huge!! go for the smaller chair that straps on. We bought one that attaches to the side of tables for "traveling" and have run into a lot of places you can't attach it (granite bar tops, etc.) And- we started with the pack and play with changing station on our first floor- but eventually just put a changing pad on top of a piece of furniture. Much more stable, and it served two purposes. so if you have a buffet in dining room or something maybe that is an option. 

I would also add things like a baby monitor, baby feeding supplies (and materials to make baby food if you think that you will), bibs, sleep sacks, and swaddling blankets (don't think i have seen those things listed yet). oh- and also for the car, both DH and i still have these changing pads (similar to the jcole but more flat) in our vehicles, along with fleece or chenile blankets (DS is 19 months). We don't always travel with our diaper bag and so those things have come in handy. 

and, I registered for the thicker cloth diapers for spit rags, but someone got me the thin ones instead. she was totally right. buy the organic trifold gerber ones- DS used it as a lovey the first few weeks during feedings.

and with respect to the toys- unless there is something you love- or you have picked out what you think will be a lovey or something, I wouldn't register for them.  you will also get things after the baby is born...

oh- and register for two car seat bases- particularly if you will be using daycare or a grandparent to help with pick ups and stuff. we alternated with drop off and pick up and not having to transfer the base for the bucket was really helpful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: Registry Questions:
    [QUOTE]Redsox, I added the rock n play sleeper to my registry. I don't remember how I found it, but it is the perfect solution for napping on the first floor!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

The rock n play was what I was referring to as well.  I agree with Redsox about all of the benefits.  It was perfect!  I did want to mention, though, that the plastic on it is hard and I suspected it was making DD's head a little flat.  I really do mean just a little flat and I would still use it again.  But once I noticed that, I folded up a receiving blanket to put underneath the liner for a little extra padding.  I had been planning to move her to the crib at 8 weeks anyway, but that gave me a little more motivation to make the transition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I second the boppy! I had three - one in my car, one downstairs, one upstairs. They were a must for me.
    Also, my swing was a must. When my kids got real fussy, it was the only thing that calmed them down. I remember even dragging it into my bedroom at 3 in the morning when I was desperate. lol.
    good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks, Trouble and Winter! That is helpful. It seems like everyone has a different preference with these things, so I'll probably just hang onto them until LO is born and try them out. Trouble, do you know if you can return to BrUs and get a credit even if you're not registered there? Good to know!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

If BRU sells it, they took it back from me. I even went in with clothes, as DS was fully in 0-3 (9 pounds at birth) I took back all of the newborn stuff. none of it was on my registry. they were great at taking what they sold and offering credit (this was 18 months ago)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

BRU will occasionally be able to tell that something wasn't purchased there.  But there were many times where I was unsure and only once did they not let me return an item.  I think I have had a constant stream of merchandise credit since DD was born :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Yes, I tried to return some disposable diapers and they told me they didn't come from their store and I could not return them. That was a bummer!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

What did people register for in terms of diapers?  We are going the disposable route so I want to put some on my registry but wasn't sure what I would need in terms of sizing and quantity.  We are going to register for Pampers Swaddlers Sensitive because that's what the hospital uses. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

We did not register for diapers but my sister who threw my shower had a Diaper raffle - if people brought diapers they filled out a card to win a favor prize - I think the favor was a small gift basket with yankee candle stuff or something - it was great we had SO many diapers and a few people brought wipes instead (which was great too).  We did not have to buy diapers until DS was in size 3s.  People were good about it too - they brought all different sizes and brands so we could sample. 
    As for brand, With DS Luvs worked just as well as the super expensive Pampers but the Babies R US brand leaked.  I would not register for too many Newborn size diapers as I feel like you will get enough from the hospital and the baby grows into 1s and 2s pretty quickly. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

CLC - I chose the brand I wanted to use (Huggies Natural something-or-other) and registed for one big box of newborn and one big box of size 1, just to show people which brand I prefered.  Same with wipes.  I don't think I actually received any of those, but I received some other diapers and wipes and then after the baby was born a few people brought big boxes of diapers when they came to meet her.
    I ended up liking both Pampers and Luvs better than the Huggies I had registered for, so try not to obsess over the decision as much as I did :o)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I am looking at stollers and I read in baby bargins that it doesnt make sense to get an infant stoller since you can use a bjorn carrier for the first 6 months.  Im thinking of getting a jogging stoller and thats it. We have 2 dogs and walk in the woods a lot with them.  Is this a wise decision?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

As for diapers, I was told to get only small packs in the beginning. You want to make sure that your baby doesn't get a rash or you don't like the product before getting huge boxes with 200 diapers. I am not registering for them, I am going to use either BJ's or Diapers.com. From everything people have said to me, Huggies leak and Pampers are the best route.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

pugslove, I did the BOB jogger and a snap n go (which is a frame you pop the baby carrier into...both Graco and Chicco make their own that go specifically with their carseats, you can also find them second hand at consignment stores and on craigs list pretty easily...).  The snap n go is perfect for shopping or the mall or short walks, and we left it in our car so we'd have it whenever we'd need it.  I found that plan to work out perfectly for us. 

Now DD is 16 months, and we've replaced the snap n go with an umbrella-type stroller.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am a huge fan of the snap n go (or similar cheap thing) for those first few months.  As luvRI said, perfect to keep in the car and it's at the ready.

If you know you're going to be in the woods a lot and you want a jogger, you can also get carseat adapters for the joggers so you can use it right away.  Although you're not supposed to actually jog until the baby is older.

It's sort of interesting that baby bargains says that about the carrier.  I agree it's silly to shell out a lot for an infant-specific stroller that you won't use for long.  But the carrier is such an individual choice.  Personally, I could not have done carrier-only for 6 months.  Both from comfort and because with a summer baby, we both used to end up drenched in sweat after even a short walk in the carrier.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I agree about getting the snap and go. It came in handy last summer when we were away from home, and she would fall asleep in her car seat being pushed around if it was nap time. We'd be at a bbq, and I could eat, hang out, whatever without having to interrupt her nap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Pugs... for walking dogs I've found that a baby carrier is far easier than a stroller as my two pugs are deathly afraid of the stroller.  Especially in the woods, even a jogging stroller might be difficult to maneuver.  Though Medford's comment about being drenched in sweat in the summer is a good point.  I've been walking the last few weeks with DD but for cold weather I just wear DH's jacket around both of us.

For diapers... have at least one small package of newborn size diapers in case you have a peanut.  My DD was swimming in Size 1s.  In fact I was so grateful someone brought N-size to the hospital because I used those and tossed the hospital diapers in our bag for when she got bigger.  Having a good sampling is a good idea, but go ahead and register for a big box ... just don't open them until you know you like them and will need them. 

Baby carriers:  Thanks Tang for the shout out :o)  The My Baby Nest is different from the Moby in that you don't need to tie the wrap.  The fabric is not as stretchy, and it is hard to explain, but there are two loops of material that are sewn in interlocking loops.  So the baby doesn't sag in the same way that can happen with the Moby.    I needed the instructions for the first time I put it on, but after that it is a 30 sec operation.  We love it for around the house and walks in the neighborhood.  It is also convenient to throw it in the diaper bag for when we go out.  The downside is that it is more expensive than the Moby. Look at the websites for the two different carriers to get a feel for how they are different:
    http://www.mybabynest.com/Position.html
    http://www.mobywrap.com/instructionpages.aspx?Topic=instructionsfolded

Definitely get a snap-n-go frame for trips to stores, etc, and and extra base for the infant carseat if you have 2 cars.

and last... it may sound silly but I love my Boon grass drying pad.  It is really nice to have designated spot for bottles, pump parts, etc.  My regular drying rack with all the pans always seems so gross.  I like that the baby-only drying rack seems so clean and isolated from the rest of the household grime.  Not to mention there are all sorts of small things that might get lost in a bigger drying rack.  Between binkies and all the parts to the Dr Brown's bottles, I'd probably loose more than I already do.  http://www.amazon.com/Boon-Grass-Countertop-Drying-Spring/dp/B0032G9E0G

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Thanks for all the advice!  Looks like I should def get a snap and go!

Sections
Shortcuts