Registry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Registry

Teehee, is it wrong that I'm excited to see that someone just bought something off our baby registry?  (Someone who ISN'T my mother, who is completely out of control and tells me every time she buys us something?)  It's like getting married all over again, knowing what gifts you're getting before you even get them... cheap thrills.  :)

In my greedy/nosy defense (to those who say I shouldn't be looking at what people are buying at all), I have to keep a close eye on our registries because we have one in the US and one in Canada (because my family is in Canada and the annoying Babies R Us website in the US won't accept orders from there).  So we have virtually duplicate registries and I have to take things off one when someone buys from the other so we don't get doubles.  Fun!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Re: Registry

Eh - I say enjoy! I totally checked out our bridal registry to see what was bought. At least you've got an excuse!Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I would most definitely do the same :) 

Did you have a baby shower?  DH and I were thinking of having a "coming out" party instead for 2 reasons:

1. It makes me very nervous to have stuff in the house for baby until I know he/she is happy and healthy in my arms. 

2. A lot of our friends and fam are from out-of-town and so if they are going to make a trip we think it'd be nice for them to see the baby and not just the bump!

What has everyone else done?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Trouble - I'm Jewish and traditionally, Jews do not have baby showers for the reason you listed in #1 (although more Jewish moms-to-be do these days). I'm thinking of having a "welcome to the world" party like you are. I'm sure my department will do something for me ahead of time which is fine - I'll just keep that stuff at my in-laws.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I think most people cheat and look at their registries!  Do tell us what fun baby item has been purchased. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's not like you're peeking at under the wrapping of gifts that are a mystery otherwise - you're just snooping on which items have been purchased.  I don't see a problem with that.  Ruining someone's surprise is a problem.  There can't be any surprise purchases from a registry!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

ohmygod this is too funny I check mine too!!  I got sooooo excited when someone bought the Britax Cowmooflage Marathon carseat!!!  I know my shower is next Sunday so I am sure there will be a lot of activity on it this coming week! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Hehe, ok, glad to know I'm not alone.

My family in Canada is having a co-ed shower for us the 3rd weekend in October (basically a big evening party, with baby gifts - we don't get up there to visit enough so my mom and I agreed a party for EVERYONE in our huge family to get together made more sense than a "baby shower" per se) and then my friends & DH's family are having a shower for me here the following weekend (although again, it'll be non-traditional; women only but it's a brunch, no games or anything like that).

I resisted having a bridal shower (although my friends threw a surprise one anyway) because DH and I already owned a house, etc and I didn't really feel like we "deserved" gifts, but I was ALL for the idea of baby showers since we need EVERYTHING!  It's actually been really hard for me to resist buying things, because I know we'll be getting gifts, but at the same time, I sort of wish the showers had been planned for sooner so that we would have had more time to get whatever things people DON'T give us (instead of scrambling to purchase them in the month before the baby is born).  But I'm sure it'll be fine.

So far, my family alone has bought us our car seat (Graco Snugride 32), crib, dresser, bedding, lots of clothes, and the Summer Day/Night Video Monitor.  Mystery person bought the SpaceSaver booster seat (we have a small kitchen/dining room and I didn't really want a full high chair).

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3039638

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

hey kaydo, that SpaceSaver seat is the one thing we've picked out so far!  I was skeptical when I saw it in the store, but after reading reviews and baby bargains, I'm sold.  we don't have a ton of space in our eating area, but also love the idea of baby being able to sit at the table with us :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Yep, me too (I'm going to be one of those annoying mothers who is hell-bent on eating together as a family as much as possible).  The one we registered for in the US would probably have been my preference, but they didn't have it on the Canadian BRU website:

Check out the price difference between the two, by the way.  The exact same stuff on our Canadian registry is SO much more expensive, it's staggering.  For instance: 

Bumbo chair in the US = $39.99  
    Bumbo chair in Canada: $64.99!

Plus, in my home province, they pay 13% sales tax... ouch.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

wow, I guess that's why they won't let your family in Canada order from the US website!  and somebody was just telling me they bought a gently used Bumbo chair on craigslist for $10 :)

I'm with you on the family dinners... with no TV :)  and my poor kids will have to suffer with brown-bagged lunches from home too!  I just love how in that seat that they are sitting at the table level from an early age.  plus we don't have a closet to store a highchair away in and I don't want one of those huge chairs out all the time.  I was afraid there was something bad about it since that seems to be the only company that makes one like it, but from the reviews I've read it sounds great!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I am ALL about getting stuff on Craig's List, once our showers have passed.  Things like jumperoos, the bumbo, hell even the breast pump are just SO much cheaper used (and in copious supply) and I have no shame whatsoever in getting them that way.  (Especially since people say you never know what "thing" your kid will like and if you shell out 100 bucks for a jumperoo and s/he hates it, you'll be none too happy.)

Some friends gave us their highchair and we took it to be polite but it already feels too bulky for our dining room, even folded up!  So I have a feeling we'll be getting rid of it in favour of the Space Saver.

I'm VERY excited that my mom bought us the Summer Infant Day/Night Video Monitor, though.  I think that was the one "pricey" item I was most hoping we'd get.  It says it you can turn the video part off, to conserve the battery, but I have a feeling we'll be watching it like television for the first little while.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

We are also Jewish and had nothing in the house before the baby was born.  Once she was born, my father and brother in law picked up her furnitur (it was at the store being held for us) and assembled it.  We then had a baby naming where everyone got to meet her and received lots of gifts then.  It worked out really well.  Aside from the carseat and a few outfits, you really don't need anything before the baby comes.

As for those with high chair concerns, we also have a small eating area and went with a Stokke chair.  My daughter has been in it since she was 4 months old (she's now 2).  She's always been at the table with us and we were able to get the chair in the same color as our chairs, so it fits perfectly.  It also grows with her, which is great.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

So...I want to chime in on the Space Saver high chair.  This is a "requirement" for most families with twins since the regular high chairs just take up so much space...having two full-size high chairs would be crazy.  We registered for these on the recommendation of my friend who has twins, and then she and a couple other friends chipped in and bought them for us as a shower gift.  We haven't used them yet, but DH set one up the other day and we've been putting the kids in it for a few minutes at a time to see if they like it.  In any case, I know that my friend LOVED having them for her twins.  The added bonus is that they're much more portable than regular high chairs, so if you're going on a car trip and staying at someone's house, it's much easier to put these in the car than a regular-size high chair.  I wouldn't bring it on a plane trip or anything like that, of course, but it is semi-portable....

Also, I wish I had known that you ladies are also all about the 2nd hand items.  My mother of twins club (yes, they have those!) just had our semi-annual tag sale over the weekend.  I bought about $200 worth of clothes for my two little ones for the next six months--and they filled THREE garbage bags.  That's a lot of clothing.  We don't expect to have to buy anything for them new before the Spring Sale either.  I'm sure there will be an occasional item here and there, but we don't NEED any more clothes until the next sale at this point.  We also picked up two Bumbo seats:  one for $2 and one for $18 (prices are dictated by the individual selling them) and they are both in excellent condition.  We bought an "Ultra Exersaucer" for $15--those can run almost $100 new.  So...I'll try to remember to post any info I get about the Mother of Twins tag sales.  There are about 5 or 6 different MOT groups in the Boston area and all of them do sales in the Spring and Fall as fundraisers.  I think the one for my group was the last one this year, but if I'm wrong, I'll let you know.  They're definitely worth checking out and great for getting gently-used items and clothing (remember:  babies don't know the difference.  As long as they're comfortable, they don't care what they're wearing).

Anyway...just an FYI for the future.

Kaydo--what's the exchange rate these days?  Is it still 1:1 like it was semi-recently?

Also, be careful of using used breast pumps.  I'm sure the "risks" are over-stated, but make sure, if nothing else, that you buy a new "kit" with the tubing etc.  Some insurance companies will pay for all or a percentage of the rental of a hospital grade pump too.  I'm going on 5 months of pumping for 2 babies (nursing directly never worked out) and only pay $12/month out of pocket for the hospital grade pump rental.  Some medical supply companies also allow you to discount the amount you paid for the rental from the purchase of a more-portable pump later on (i.e. the Pump in Style when you go back to work).  I work at a hospital, and have access to "nursing mother's lounges," so I don't have to worry about carrying one back and forth since the lounges are equipped with the hospital grade pumps, but that's certainly worth looking into for less nursing-friendly workplaces.

Good luck to all of you--it's so exciting that you're getting so close!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

In Response to Re: Registry:

Hehe, ok, glad to know I'm not alone. My family in Canada is having a co-ed shower for us the 3rd weekend in October (basically a big evening party, with baby gifts - we don't get up there to visit enough so my mom and I agreed a party for EVERYONE in our huge family to get together made more sense than a "baby shower" per se) and then my friends & DH's family are having a shower for me here the following weekend (although again, it'll be non-traditional; women only but it's a brunch, no games or anything like that). I resisted having a bridal shower (although my friends threw a surprise one anyway) because DH and I already owned a house, etc and I didn't really feel like we "deserved" gifts, but I was ALL for the idea of baby showers since we need EVERYTHING!  It's actually been really hard for me to resist buying things, because I know we'll be getting gifts, but at the same time, I sort of wish the showers had been planned for sooner so that we would have had more time to get whatever things people DON'T give us (instead of scrambling to purchase them in the month before the baby is born).  But I'm sure it'll be fine. So far, my family alone has bought us our car seat (Graco Snugride 32), crib, dresser, bedding, lots of clothes, and the Summer Day/Night Video Monitor.  Mystery person bought the SpaceSaver booster seat (we have a small kitchen/dining room and I didn't really want a full high chair). http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3039638
    Posted by kaydo

I know someone already bought the space saving booster seat...but another suggestion is what we got... http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3471828&kw=&origkw=&parentPage=search&f=PAD/Brand%20Name%20Secondary/Graco its a full size high chair that really folds up pretty small. Its helpful when we have people over for dinner and need all of our regular chairs.

And one must always peek at their registry...you need to know if you need to add more suggestions in different price ranges! No guilt for looking!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Another reason to check your registry is that baby stuff is always changing with regards to patterns, etc. (especially at this time of year as the new models come out for the next year).  I had registered in November for a February baby and I found that a lot of my big ticket items were going out of stock as my shower approached in mid-January.  I actually found a stroller that I liked better in a new patternso I was glad I was keeping things up-to-date.  It's definitely something to be aware of in case you have your heart set on a certain design or color palette.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thanks for all the info, and I would definitely be interested in the mother of twins sales in the future, daisy.

right now I am having registry issues....  and have a few questions to those who have done this before...  did you find that people like to go in together on the big things or that I should have alot of smaller <$50 items?  I'm having trouble coming up with smaller things (don't want to register for clothes and toys, because I'm assuming that's what some people will buy anyway and would rather pick out their own), so if you have any recommendations....   also, did you register anywhere other than BRU?  there are a couple items I'm interested in (Ergo carrier for example) that are only available at the specialty stores, but I can't think of one in the Boston area that would be convenient for my guests to register at?  I had thought of Babystyle, but they don't have a website anymore and I'm unclear if they even still exist.  Is there another store found in the malls that is similar?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I tried to register for a mix of pricier & lower-priced items.  (And like you, I didn't register for any clothes or toys, really, except for some swaddlers and one super-cute winter hat that I REALLY want.)  My "smaller" items are things like receiving blankets, the kind of diapers we want (since they're somewhat unusual - gDiapers - and I don't want to get boxes and boxes of Pampers if we can avoid it), a baby tub, crib sheets, changing pad covers, the kind of bottles we want, burp cloths, hooded towels, etc.  (I was 14 when my younger brother was born and have quite a bit of baby experience so I know how quickly you go through things like receiving blankets & burp cloths.)  My showers are coming up in mid-October, so we'll see what people go for!

This is the super-cute hat, by the way.  I actually went in to buy it myself the other night, because I'm SO set on it, but couldn't find it in the store.  Might have to order it, just to make sure I get it.  :)

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2539399

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Oh, also... I remember a friend of mine registered at:
    http://www.onestepahead.com

One of the things I want that you can't get at BRU (where we registered, for lack of other viable options, really) is the Wimmer Ferguson mobile that is supposed to be great for babies.  I figure we'll just buy it ourselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-201770-Infant-Stim-Mobile/dp/B00009ZIKH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1254401743&sr=8-2

I saw it at Isis for $27 but figured we could do better online so I held off.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Lesal, may I ask if there's a particular area of the country most of your family/friends are in?  There's a great baby store owned by Bed Bath and Beyond called Buy Buy Baby.  I wish they were in MA!  I think the farthest NE they go is NJ and NY.  But, they carry a much wider range of items than babiesrus and have everything from lower price options to higher end options.  If that is convenient for your family, or if they are big online shoppers, you may want to consider using them. You can do a registry online.  I'm sure they have the ergo baby carrier. 
    Edit:  I just re-read your post and realized that you were looking for another store in the Boston area to register at.  Have you considered Magic Beans or Wild Child?  I don't think there are any other huge baby stores up here.  Target is great, but I know they don't always have a lot in store- online is better.  The Right Start was a great place but they went out of business.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

ugh.  I should have just edited again.  As for "smaller" items (more along the line of what one person might want to spend on for a gift) here's just a few ideas - bottles, room decor items (mobile, nightlight), sleepsacks, bundleme, tub, bath products and linens, baby health/grooming products (thermometer, clippers, etc), baby organization needs, diaper bag depending on cost, changing pad, cover, diaper pail or accessories, etc.  Obviously, it depends on what fits you, b/c some people like to have tons on the registry and some people prefer key items.  Good luck figuring this out!!!  It's overwhelming and fun at the same time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thanks for the ideas, I'm going to add some of those things today!  my family is mainly in MA (north of boston) and RI, and are not big online shoppers.  I thought about making a registry at a smaller store like Magic Beans, but I dont' think it would be convenient for anyone.  if babystyle was still around, that would be great since they were at most malls around here.  It's not that I don't want to buy those items ourselves, just that I'd rather register for things I really need/want and not fill it up with silly things just for the sake of adding to the list.  but my family isn't so huge, so there has to be enough BRU things that I need and can register for.

how do you know what type of bottles to register for?  I'm planning to BF, and not going back to work anytime soon, so don't need a zillion bottles for daycare at this point.  but I would like to pump so DH and others can feed the baby too at times.  I'm stumped about bottles, pacifiers, pump (though a pump is not going on my list anyway :)

and I can't remember if I asked already, but any diaper bag recommendations?

kaydo, that hat is adorable :)  I put a Bundleme on my list, and was wondering - have you thought about those shower cap style infant seat covers?  they look really silly, but I wonder if it's a good idea for winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

I'm planning to breastfeed too, so I registered for the BPA free Medela breastmilk bottles that are compatible with the Pump In Style (which I also registered for, although if no one buys it, I'll get one on Craig's List - they show up there constantly).  I also registered for some of the Playtex Drop-ins because, frankly, those are the bottles I have the most personal experience with, and I figure I'll try both and see what works.  (I'm intrigued by the VentAire bottle I got in a Motherhood gift bag once too...)  I know we'll have to experiment and see what works, but my thinking was to register for the ones we know we want to experiment with, so that 1) people don't buy us random other ones, and 2) we can experiment on someone else's dime.  ;)

I also chose the Avent BPA free freeflow pacifier (I think I read somewhere that it was good?) and the Playtex Slow Flow NaturaLatch Silicone Nipples because I heard those were most like real nipples, for breastfed babies to make the switch.

Yeah, those plastic covers for strollers & car seats are probably useful but something about them freaks me out.  I know the baby obviously won't suffocate in them (duh) but it just LOOKS like they would.  I did register for a BundleMe though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

As an "outsider" (i.e. I don't have kids) I usually like to go in with someone else and get a larger gift.  However, the small things are still good too, as little "add ons" to gifts.  I also give Amazon gift certificates sometimes, as I feel then the MTB can get whatever she either may have forgotten to add to her registry, or just didn't recieve.  Just my 2 cents!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I'd recommend just registering for a few bottles to try.  The Medela ones that attach to the pump are good - but if memory serves (I only pumped/bf'd for about 10 weeks), the nipples and flow on their own bottles aren't great.  I used the Dr. Brown's natural flow for pumped milk and for formula and was really happy with them - no confusion, no colic, no reflux.  Two new ones out getting a lot of hype for breastfed are the Adiri bottle and the First Years Breastflow bottle - you may want to check those out.  My friends who didn't work and 100% breastfed registered for a few to have on hand, but you are right, don't go crazy registering for them b/c you don't know what you will end up using for sure.
    For diaper bags, I got a pretty large Eddie Bauer one from BRU which was sooo big and bulky.  I recently picked up a smaller Eddie Bauer backpack diaper bag at TJMaxx and it is a zillion times more manageable yet seems to fit all the same stuff.  I vote back pack 100%.  A few companies also make these "change wallets" that are a fold out diaper pad and fit a few diapers and wipes.  Skip Hop makes an expensive one, but there are more reasonable ones too.  I keep this in my car for emergencies or in my stroller for long walks - has been a life saver for unexpected situations when I thought I wouldn't need my diaper bag

Sections
Shortcuts