Registry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

Re: Registry

I actually put the Skip Hop changing wallet on my list!  I was looking for just a fold up changing pad but when I saw it (online) I thought it looked useful.  glad to know it actually is!  it is expensive, probably would choose a cheaper one myself - but at $30 makes a good price for a shower gift I thought.  and I was wondering what people think about backpack vs messenger bag vs stroller bag styles

good points about registering for a couple types of bottles, I know I'll need to experiment and buy some anyway.  thanks for the specific recs....

princess - I would love to receive amazon giftcards!  that's how I'm going to order some of the things I need that are not available at BRU anyway :)

kaydo, I actually meant this type of thing:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2302941

someone on babycenter said the bundleme is not safe to use in carseats (but others said that's not true and the BRU website does say it has been crashtested, so that's still my plan I think).  but a few people said that this big cover is the only safe thing (because it doesn't go behind the baby in the seat), but it seems kind of funny to me right now.  and claustrophobic.  though it gets very good reviews on BRU.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

That kiddopatomus seems a bit much.  I think it would be a bit claustrophobic.  I know that some diaper bags come with a changing pad too so that might be helpful. 

I am clueless when it comes to the whole breastfeeding and bottle thing.  I have some reading to do.  All of these suggestions are very helpful.  

Is there a list of things that you should definitely register for? I think I remember there being one in the baby bargains book I will have to look.

Lesal - After reading the stoller thread I checked out the Uppababy stroller.  It seems really good.  I don't know if DH will go for it but I might try.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I registered for this since I figured it would be easy to take in a diaper bag or something smaller if I didnt want to carry everything.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3312392

The whole bottle subject scares me...there are SOOO many to choose from!  This mother was buying new bottles when I was registering and told me the vent-air ones do not wash well which I guess now I can see.  She recommended the drop in because you let all the air out of the bottle before you feed the baby.  My good friend loved the Dr. Browns bottles but I wont lie...having to wash 5 pieces to a bottle did nothing for me. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Register on Amazon! They carry everything, and I mean everything! I registered for cloth diapers, cool toys, and other items that I couldn't find elsewhere. I also registered at Target and Babies R Us.
    As far as bottles, I registered for a few different types, including the Ventaire, which was the only one anybody got for us. I mainly breastfed on maternity leave, and breastfeed/pump now that I'm back at work. While she was using the slow nipples, the Ventaire worked fine, but when she moved up to the faster nipples the Ventaire leaked, so daycare recommended the Avent as working well for other kids in the past. It works really well for them, or at least they haven't complained. But I think every baby is different, so go with what works, and don't stress too much.
    As far as pacifiers, the soothie brand (I got one at the hospital) was the only one DD wanted. I tried a few other types (I got a bunch of different ones at my showers.) but she wanted nothing to do with them.
    Theer is a lot of good info on the web about the different pumps, but I got the Ameda Purely yours. I like it because it seems like the horn/tubing assembly is much simpler than the Medela setup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

In Response to Re: Registry:
    [QUOTE]I tried to register for a mix of pricier & lower-priced items.  (And like you, I didn't register for any clothes or toys, really, except for some swaddlers and one super-cute winter hat that I REALLY want.)  My "smaller" items are things like receiving blankets, the kind of diapers we want (since they're somewhat unusual - gDiapers - and I don't want to get boxes and boxes of Pampers if we can avoid it), a baby tub, crib sheets, changing pad covers, the kind of bottles we want, burp cloths, hooded towels, etc.  (I was 14 when my younger brother was born and have quite a bit of baby experience so I know how quickly you go through things like receiving blankets & burp cloths.)  My showers are coming up in mid-October, so we'll see what people go for! This is the super-cute hat, by the way.  I actually went in to buy it myself the other night, because I'm SO set on it, but couldn't find it in the store.  Might have to order it, just to make sure I get it.  :) http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2539399
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

Hi Kaydo,
    We use gDiapers too and have been very happy with them.  I just want to give you a few pointers/some advice and you can do what you want with it.

Unless your baby is over 7 pounds at birth, I don't recommend getting the "small" gDiapers.  It ends up being a fairly large investment for a very short period of time.  My babies were 5 lbs. 6 oz. and 6 lbs. 9 oz. at birth.  The small gDiapers start at ~8 lbs. and are supposed to go to 14 lbs. but my kids outgrew the smalls around 12 lbs.  We used the smalls for only about a month and a half.  After that, the "little G pants" are more or less useless, and at $15 each, that's a considerable investment for such a short period of time.  Realistically, you need about 8 of them to get you through the day when they're that small...and that's if you wash them religiously every day...if you don't, you need more than that.  The claim on the website that the outer pant can be used through more than one diaper change is optimistic at best.  Pee diapers often soak through (esp. w/my son for some reason), and  p o o diapers usually get at least a little bit on the fabric.  I've spoken with other people who use them to see if it's "just me" and it's not.  This is the experience of at least 2 other mothers of twins (so twice the usage/experience).

If I had known then what I know now, I would have waited the extra month and a half until they fit into the mediums.  The medium little g pants are good for a much longer time.  My kids fit into them around 12 lbs. and supposedly they're good until 28 lbs. 

Are you using the flushables or the cloth inserts or both?  The flushables are fantastic.  I have no desire to use cloth diapers, but I admit I'm intrigued by the cloth inserts.

If you have any qualms about touching p o o, make sure you get some gloves to handle the used diapers with.  I usually just make sure to wash my hands really thoroughly after flushing the diapers, but my mother uses gloves when handling them.

If you have any specific questions about the gDiapers, I'm happy to answer.  We've been very happy overall.  We do use disposables overnight and on occasion if we're going to be out and about for most of the day--b/c it's just easier.  But, it's really nice not to have stinky overflowing diaper pails every week.  We only need to open/empty ours about once a month.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]thanks for the ideas, I'm going to add some of those things today!  my family is mainly in MA (north of boston) and RI, and are not big online shoppers.  I thought about making a registry at a smaller store like Magic Beans, but I dont' think it would be convenient for anyone.  if babystyle was still around, that would be great since they were at most malls around here.  It's not that I don't want to buy those items ourselves, just that I'd rather register for things I really need/want and not fill it up with silly things just for the sake of adding to the list.  but my family isn't so huge, so there has to be enough BRU things that I need and can register for. how do you know what type of bottles to register for?  I'm planning to BF, and not going back to work anytime soon, so don't need a zillion bottles for daycare at this point.  but I would like to pump so DH and others can feed the baby too at times.  I'm stumped about bottles, pacifiers, pump (though a pump is not going on my list anyway :) and I can't remember if I asked already, but any diaper bag recommendations? kaydo, that hat is adorable :)  I put a Bundleme on my list, and was wondering - have you thought about those shower cap style infant seat covers?  they look really silly, but I wonder if it's a good idea for winter.
    Posted by lesal[/QUOTE]

Hi Lesal,

I was overwhelmed thinking about bottles too.  Fortunately, I work at a hospital and spoke with the lactation consultant about what she recommended.  She thinks the Playtex drop-ins are the best (with the slow-flow silicone n i p p l e s).  Those are what my mother used for me and my siblings, so I had experience with them too.  I really like that, for the most part, the only thing that needs to be WASHED from use to use is the  n i p p l e.  The rest of the bottle can pretty much just be rinsed and then washed every few uses.  One thing that isn't suggested by Playtex, but was suggested by the nurses while we were in the hospital  and by my mother was washing and re-using the inserts.  So, that's what we do.  We use the inserts for about a week, then replace all of them at once.  The other nice thing is that the inserts are recyclable, so we recycle them when we're done with them.

The lactation consultant said that the drop-ins have been through clinical trials (the boxes have an outline of the studies that we done by Children's Hospital Boston docs) and have been shown to be "most similar to breast."  Now, the disclaimer is that the Adiri bottles (those are wild!) weren't around then, so I don't know how those compare, but being able to squeeze out the air makes them more similar to breastfeeding--no air is pushing the milk out of the breast, baby has to pull it out.

I pump into the Medela bottles and use those for storage in the fridge and then pour the milk from those into the drop-ins.  It's not as convenient as just screwing the n i p p l e onto the container for feeding, but it's really not that much more time consuming either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

thanks for all the bottle information - I am online working on my registry right now and so glad I checked back in here first!  I just added a starter set of Playtex drop-ins with naturalatch slow flows and the Adiri 2-pack to my list...  also the soothies.  that was easy! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Daisy: Thanks so much for the gDiaper information!  Assuming our little guy comes on time, I don't think we'll have much worry about him being under 7lbs (he's measuring big, and my MIL loves to remind me how my husband was well over 9lbs at birth) but that still makes a lot of sense.  I partly shocked to hear how many of the pants you go through in a day - yikes!  They're $18.99 each at BRU so that would definitely be costly.  Maybe we'll start with disposables... I'm pretty sure we'll get some disposables at our showers, anyway (BRU in Canada doesn't sell gDiapers so we couldn't register for them up there).

We're planning to use the flushable too.  No cloth diapers for me.  That's what I really like about the gDiaper - that you aren't clogging up a landfill with disposables, but you don't have the hassle of cloth diapers.  Best of both worlds!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

everybody:  the Adiri bottles are very expensive, and while they do look most like a breast (unless you get the blue ones, giggle), most babies will take other bottles fairly easily so personally I'd get a few of a few styles and only go with the Adiri if you end up with a baby who just WILL NOT use a bottle and you really WANT/NEED your baby to take a bottle. 

I would also not invest in alot of one 'system' because if your baby doesn't like those, you'll HATE to spend gobs more money on more bottles.  My sister bought zillions of one style of bottle, plus the sterilizer designed for those bottles, the bottle warmers, blah blah blah and her DD HATED bottles... and since they'd spent a gazillion dollars on their (now useless) system, they didn't want to spend any more $ on diff. styles.  She is a SAHM so she didn't really need bottles, although I always wished I could have fed my niece, and that my brother-in-law could feed bottles to the babies...  it's such a nice bonding experience, there's really nothing like holding a baby for a bottle (well, I'm sure nursing is fab, too, but I have no experience w/that) and I think my BIL missed out on that important bonding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

Hehe, someone bought the cute winter hat off our registry!  

Although it may have been DH since my birthday & our anniversary are both next week and he knows how much I want that darn hat.  Funny, though, how a $10 hat can make me so happy (and his occasional slurping of cereal in the morning can send me into an absolute fury).  ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I recommend the Dr Browns - DD had no problem with those at all -- although I know a lot of people hate all the pieces.  Also, even if planning on BF'ng its good to have at least a couple bottles in the house and maybe even some formula.  DD was tongue tied and was not gaining weight so I need to pump and bottle feed and also supplement with formula - we found this out just 2 days after coming home from the hospital.  I was SO glad that we had formula and bottles in the house already and I'd gotten a pump from the hospital from insurance -- Def check in to that, it can save a lot of $$! 

Oh another thing I thought would be a complete waste but is great is a bottle sterilizer, I have an Avent one, I think it was about $30.  When pumping I would put all the pieces right in there to clean them up, it was great!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I second the sterilizer (I have a microwave on) - I actually rinse my Dr. Browns in soapy water and sterilize - makes the five pieces not seem like such a pain.  I think the bottom line with bottles is get a couple - maybe one or two of different times, but don't invest in a zillion until you know for sure what the little one likes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]Daisy: Thanks so much for the gDiaper information!  Assuming our little guy comes on time, I don't think we'll have much worry about him being under 7lbs (he's measuring big, and my MIL loves to remind me how my husband was well over 9lbs at birth) but that still makes a lot of sense.  I partly shocked to hear how many of the pants you go through in a day - yikes!  They're $18.99 each at BRU so that would definitely be costly.  Maybe we'll start with disposables... I'm pretty sure we'll get some disposables at our showers, anyway (BRU in Canada doesn't sell gDiapers so we couldn't register for them up there). We're planning to use the flushable too.  No cloth diapers for me.  That's what I really like about the gDiaper - that you aren't clogging up a landfill with disposables, but you don't have the hassle of cloth diapers.  Best of both worlds!
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

The pants are sometimes cheaper directly from gDiapers.com--more like $15.  There's a bigger selection of colors too.  They do have a "value pack" that's $70 for 6--3 of the "vanilla bean + 3 of the orange.  It's definitely worth it to pick up a couple of those packs once you start using them.  Again, though, with the smalls, the question is, is it worth $70 or $140 for something you're only going to be able to use for about a month/month and a half?  And when they have so many really cute pants, it's hard (at least it was for me) to "settle" for vanilla bean and orange.  So, we've picked up a few of the different colors/designs, in the mediums for some variety, but, in theory, they should last us a while.

Oh...one more tip...make sure, when washing them, to fasten the velcro.  If you don't, the velcro sticks to the fabric on the other pants and makes them all "pill-y."  Not to mention, it wears out the velcro faster.  And, if you wash them with other clothes (as I sometimes do with the wet-only ones--urine is sterile, after all), the velcro WILL stick to and possibly damage your other clothes.

As far as going through so many a day...remember when they're really little--up to about 8 weeks, maybe (I don't remember now...it's all a blur)--almost EVERY diaper has p o o, so the chance of the pant getting soiled is much higher.  Once they're a little older and that tapers off considerably (sometimes only p o o ing a couple times a week!), it's less of an issue from day-to-day.  HOWEVER, that once or twice a week often makes up for lost time, and then you will DEFINITELY have to wash the pant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

From our experience of bringing a baby home last december the kiddopatomus cover was the best thing we had. Babies tend to get got in the infant carrier (sometimes he'd sweat so much we'd have to change his clothes and his hair would be wet), so we never used our snow suit we got him-but putting the cover over as we walked from the car to wherever was great-easy on easy off! And its not recommended to put anything in between the car seat and the baby-decreases the effectiveness of the car seat.

As for bottle we went with the Dr. Browns. It can be a pain to clean all the parts-but the diswasher (with the heated dry) sanitizes them (no seperate sanitizer needed) (I do the n i p p l es by hand) so clean up got easier when I broke down and bought more. Thankfully my son wasn't picky about bottles-he'll take any standard size n i p p l e.

For a pacifier we found we like the nuby one piece silicone ones the best. They're a little big at first, but they have teething nubs to help with teething-and the solid one piece design cuts down on choking hazards-the two piece paci's have a slight risk of the baby sucking off the silicone/ruber part and choking on them.

Other things I had no idea I would need so much of, and never registered for them-baby wash cloths! Thankfully my mother bought about 40+ of them to use to decorate for the shower-we go through so many of them in a day its amazing.

Sleep blankets are great-though we didn't need any more than two of these.

we got a video monitor (a graco one-I've only seen it once)-I was on the fence about this, thinking the audio monitor was enough-having the video monitor is awesome. DS doesn't cry when he wakes up (typically), so the only way we know he woke up from a nap was when he starts staring into the camera. Our version is nice since the monitor is about the size of a cell phone-problem is the battery only lasts two and a half hours-so at night time it typically dies before we go to bed to plug it back in to charge.

When DS was about 3 mo old he loved (and still does-he just now stands and plays with it) the Play School Laugh and Learn bouncer-he loves the flashing lights and the music.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kisunya. Show kisunya's posts

I know how you fell. When we opened a baby registry I would go in and check it nearly every.single.day.

Now that she is 8 months old though I realize I would have done things a little differently. It turns out she doesn't really need much and we have too much stuff (although I would say less than most people register for). We got pretty much all the big things on craigslist, and al the little necessities on the registry.

You can take a look at my Baby Registry Tips article.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry : The pants are sometimes cheaper directly from gDiapers.com--more like $15.  There's a bigger selection of colors too.  They do have a "value pack" that's $70 for 6--3 of the "vanilla bean + 3 of the orange.  It's definitely worth it to pick up a couple of those packs once you start using them.  Again, though, with the smalls, the question is, is it worth $70 or $140 for something you're only going to be able to use for about a month/month and a half?  And when they have so many really cute pants, it's hard (at least it was for me) to "settle" for vanilla bean and orange.  So, we've picked up a few of the different colors/designs, in the mediums for some variety, but, in theory, they should last us a while. Oh...one more tip...make sure, when washing them, to fasten the velcro.  If you don't, the velcro sticks to the fabric on the other pants and makes them all "pill-y."  Not to mention, it wears out the velcro faster.  And, if you wash them with other clothes (as I sometimes do with the wet-only ones--urine is sterile, after all), the velcro WILL stick to and possibly damage your other clothes. As far as going through so many a day...remember when they're really little--up to about 8 weeks, maybe (I don't remember now...it's all a blur)--almost EVERY diaper has p o o, so the chance of the pant getting soiled is much higher.  Once they're a little older and that tapers off considerably (sometimes only p o o ing a couple times a week!), it's less of an issue from day-to-day.  HOWEVER, that once or twice a week often makes up for lost time, and then you will DEFINITELY have to wash the pant.
    Posted by Daisy75[/QUOTE]
    Daisy
    I am interested in the gdiaper but question.  Are you able to send a child to daycare with the gdiaper?  I had always heard disposables are the only thing they accept, is this still correct?
    Thanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry : Daisy I am interested in the gdiaper but question.  Are you able to send a child to daycare with the gdiaper?  I had always heard disposables are the only thing they accept, is this still correct? Thanks
    Posted by austengirl[/QUOTE]

I really don't know if that's true or not, but I have heard the same thing.  My mother is taking care of the kids the 4 days a week that I'm at work, so I haven't had to deal with a day care center about diapers. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it is true.  The gDiapers are a bit more time consuming than disposables b/c of the putting them together and flushing, and since whoever is changing the diapers may have to touch a soiled diaper in order to pull it apart prior to flushing, there is the issue of "sanitary-ness."  (This is nothing that a pair of gloves or some good old-fashioned handwashing couldn't take care of, but I understand the concern.)  That being said, you may be able to work something out with the daycare that you will bring enough "loaded" (with insert) diapers for the day and they will simply put the used diapers, intact, in a plastic bag for you to take home and deal with at the end of the day.  That wouldn't put any additional burden on the diaper-changer, and you'd just have to have a flushing party at your house every night. 

CT.DC may have a more "official" answer...she's the director at a day care center.  CT are you there?

Even if your day care center won't accept them, you could still plan to use them when you're with the baby--evenings, weekends, etc.--and just use disposables specifically for day care. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaydo. Show kaydo's posts

[QUOTE] Even if your day care center won't accept them, you could still plan to use them when you're with the baby--evenings, weekends, etc.--and just use disposables specifically for day care. 
    Posted by Daisy75[/QUOTE]

That's sort of what I've been assuming we'll do, unless we find a great environmentally motivated daycare.  (Ditto for travelling; my mom's house, for instance, is on a well and I'm not sure her septic system could handle the gDiapers.)  But I figure any amount of NOT using disposables is better than using them all the time...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]That's sort of what I've been assuming we'll do, unless we find a great environmentally motivated daycare.  (Ditto for travelling; my mom's house, for instance, is on a well and I'm not sure her septic system could handle the gDiapers.)  But I figure any amount of NOT using disposables is better than using them all the time...
    Posted by kaydo[/QUOTE]

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use gDiapers if you have/are dealing with a septic system.  The tank will fill up with the fibers very quickly and you'll have a MAJOR mess and expense on your hands. 

I think that gDiapers are great, and I LOVE the reduced impact on the environment from not using disposables, but there are just some times when it makes more sense to use disposables.  Last time we bought diapers, we bought 2 cases of gDiapers (~400 diapers) and, at the same time, bought a case of disposables ( ~200 diapers).  We're almost out of the gDiapers, and we still have ~ 1/3 of the disposables left.  One thing that kills me, though, is when I've ordered the gDiapers online (either through gDiapers.com directly or diapers.com), they come in a large box, INSIDE ANOTHER, larger box, with packing material between the boxes....  HELLO?!  Who is the genius who thought that one up?  It's not like the diapers are going to break if handled roughly during shipping.  One box should be satisfactory!  It crossed my mind that I should "complain" to the company about it, but I just don't have time....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

Re: Registry / gDiapers

I'm in Connecticut, but for what it is worth, my daughter's daycare was more than willing (enthusiastic, in fact) about using gDiapers.  They don't flush the liners, but send them to the trash with the other children's disposables.  But the liners decompose in 50-150 days - so I feel totally comfortable with that.

As a side note, when I was pregnant and exploring daycares I was planning to go the cloth diaper route.  Every daycare I spoke to (KinderCare, Bright Horizons, plus a handful of local, independant centers) was more than willing to deal with cloth diapers, so I'd be surprised by any center mandating only disposables.

We've been using gDiapers for my daughter full-time since February.  They've been terrific.  We use them for overnight as well.  My daughter is in the medium size, but for overnights, I use the large and use two inserts (one folded in front, plus the second inserted as you would normally). That's been a great solution for my heavy-overnight-wetter daughter.

Register with gDiapers and they will send you emails when their pants go on sale.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllabyDreams. Show AllabyDreams's posts

Daisy, if you ever have time and have any other registry advice for an expectant mother of twins, I'd love your input! I'm still a little early to start registering (I'm 14 weeks), but I'm starting to do some research on the kinds of things we'll need (and how many of them), and would love advice from someone who's been there! (I joined the WSCMMOTA and have been waiting awhile for my Yahoo groups membership to be approved so I can start asking these kinds of questions on the message boards over there!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]Daisy, if you ever have time and have any other registry advice for an expectant mother of twins, I'd love your input! I'm still a little early to start registering (I'm 14 weeks), but I'm starting to do some research on the kinds of things we'll need (and how many of them), and would love advice from someone who's been there! (I joined the WSCMMOTA and have been waiting awhile for my Yahoo groups membership to be approved so I can start asking these kinds of questions on the message boards over there!)
    Posted by AllabyDreams[/QUOTE]

Hi Allaby,

First, pick up Baby Bargains.  That was our "Bible" when deciding what to register for. 

One thing we didn't register for b/c I didn't know about them, but in retrospect, it would've been very useful are 2 "Itzbeens."  They're little gadgets about the size of a walkie talkie where you can record feedings and diaper changes and naps and some other things.  We tried really hard to write things down, but sometimes it just wasn't possible or we'd forget and we'd have no idea how long it had been since one of them ate or had a diaper change etc.  Even now, at 4 1/2 months, there are nights when each of them will be up 2 or 3 times and in the morning, DH and I will be talking about who got up with whom when and for how long/what transpired, and we realize that we have no idea who did what to whom when.  It's all very confusing when you're sleep deprived, and with two of them and two of you, there's just no easy way to remember.  (DH just came in and was reading over my shoulder and started laughing :)  )

Other than that, I think it will probably be more helpful if I tell you what NOT to register for/buy new.

The double snap 'n' go.  This is the most wonderful contraption in the world, but it costs $100 new.  When I joined my MOT group (MMOTA-founding), I sent an email out asking if anyone was looking to sell their's.  I ended up getting one in EXCELLENT condition--3rd hand--with all of the bars for the different car seats for $30.  If someone will buy it for you new, fantastic, but if you plan to get it used for $30 - $40, someone can spend the $100 on something else from your registry.

The twin pack 'n' play.  Don't do it.  Really.  Don't do it.  We thought it looked perfect and went out and bought it and we were really disappointed.  First, the weight limit for the bassinet is THE SAME as for the regular pack 'n' plays--25 pounds.  So, you have TWO babies which means you can use it for HALF the time.  Second, the little bassinet dividers do not detach from the bassinet itself, which makes having them sleep next to one another in it after about 12 pounds nearly impossible (not even taking into account the weight limit).  Now, the one nice thing about it, is that it's slightly larger than a regular pack 'n' play, but it also costs more than twice as much as some of the lower-end regular pack 'n' plays.  My suggestion is to go to the MOT tag sales next spring (most of the local MOT groups have one) and buy a regular pack 'n' play used.  I just bought one a month or so ago to keep at my mother's house for $15.  It was a basic one w/o a bassinet or changing table, but it's functional for grandma's house.  And if you really want one with a changing table and/or bassinet feature, register for one and get a second one used for when you want/need to separate them and just need a portable place for them to sleep.

Hmm...what else?  Not really a registry recommendation, but a cost-saving one:  I went to the MMOTA-founding tag sale about a month before the babies were born and stocked up on clothes.  Babies want to be clean and warm and don't really care if their clothes come from Kmart or Nordstrom or BabyGap.  We spent ~$100 total on 6 month's worth of clothes for two babies (in addition to shower gifts).  And then a couple weeks ago, we went to the fall tag sale and spent ~$200 total on another 6 month's worth of clothes for them.  I fully-intend to re-sell these clothes at future sales (most still in excellent condition and most only worn a few times), so over time, we're saving A LOT of money on clothes.

Only register for one swing (or better yet, pick one up at the MOT tag sales).  If both your kids love it, go ahead and get a second one, but I've heard stories about people buying a really souped-up swing only to find out that their kid(s) hate it.

Register for TWO baby bjorns or similar front carriers.  When DH and I go grocery shopping these are life-savers.  We each wear a baby and don't have to worry about using a shopping cart AND pushing around the snap 'n' go.

If you're planning to nurse them, get an E-Z-2 Nurse pillow.  Even if the nursing doesn't work out, you can still use it for bottle-feeding both of them at the same time.  (I'm pumping almost exclusively for my twins--one formula bottle a day, the rest is breastmilk--so I can tell you about that when/if you ever get to that point.)

I'll let you know if I think of anything else, but those are the recommendations I have off the top of my head.  Best of luck to you throughout your pregnancy.  Take good care of yourself!  Are you going to find out what you're having?  Do you know if they're fraternal or identical at this point?  You're definitely off to a good start.  Joining an MOT group is really one of the best things you can do.  Having twins is definitely a whole different ball game than having "just" one and it's nice to have the support of other people who've been there.  Are these your first?  Certainly feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions about particular items.  Also, there is one other MOT I know of on these boards--MissLily--she hasn't been writing much lately, but I think she's still lurking, so she may have some recommendations for you too.  She also has b/g twins and I think they're about a month or so younger than mine.  Let me know if you have more questions!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AllabyDreams. Show AllabyDreams's posts

Daisy, thank you *so* much for your response and great advice. It's hugely helpful. You can be sure you'll be hearing from me with many more questions as my pregnancy progresses!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I do direct a center, and we don't do cloth diapers.  We do allow glass bottles as long as you use silicone covers for them, though, does that get us points? Smile  But cloth diapers require storing wet and poopy diapers for an entire day somewhere (or at least the wraps, nearly the same thing), and we can't just stuff them in the small cubby with the extra clothes.  But if other centers will do it, more power to them - I just can't go there, sorry!  We recycle, we do as much as we can, but we can't handle it.

Also, there is (in my experience) often more leakage through clothes, which spreads germs, and in a center with 8 infants in a room, we really try to keep things as sanitary as possible, so having diaper leakage more often isn't good.

Again, yeah for the CT center that takes them, more power to them, I just can't go there..... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

[QUOTE]I do direct a center, and we don't do cloth diapers.  We do allow glass bottles as long as you use silicone covers for them, though, does that get us points?   But cloth diapers require storing wet and poopy diapers for an entire day somewhere (or at least the wraps, nearly the same thing), and we can't just stuff them in the small cubby with the extra clothes.  But if other centers will do it, more power to them - I just can't go there, sorry!  We recycle, we do as much as we can, but we can't handle it. Also, there is (in my experience) often more leakage through clothes, which spreads germs, and in a center with 8 infants in a room, we really try to keep things as sanitary as possible, so having diaper leakage more often isn't good. Again, yeah for the CT center that takes them, more power to them, I just can't go there..... 
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

Hi CT-DC,

Thanks for the response, but gDiapers aren't cloth, they are flushable (cloth inserts recently became available for them, but their claim to fame is the flushable inserts).  www.gdiapers.com

So, basically, you have an outer wrap as with cloth diapers, but you have an inner plastic-ish liner into which you put a flushable insert.  Admittedly, it is not a fool-proof system, and they do leak on occasion (but I've had just as many disposable diapers leak as gdiapers--the difference, of course, being that the disposable gets thrown away regardless), but, in theory, as a center director, would you be comfortable with having your staff flush the inserts?  It would actually decrease your diaper pail volume, but the trade off would be that it might take your staff an extra minute or two per diaper to flush the dirty insert.  The outer wrap and plastic-ish liner can usually be re-used for p e e only diapers; for soiled diapers, it's 50/50--sometimes the wrap can be re-used, but often the liner cannot.  The liner and outer wrap are quite thin w/o the inserts, so wouldn't take up anywhere near as much space as a used cloth diaper.

I know policies vary from center to center...I'm just curious to hear how it's approached from "the other side" since these have some qualities of cloth, but without the hassle of cloth.

Thanks!