September 2011 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Re: September 2011 Pregnancy

Krysta, as a maternity nurse I can tell you I relate to your fears about pit but when you are overdue they typically only need a small dose of it to get you going and your body kinda just takes it from there. Are you "ripe" yet? As in, your cervix?  If you're a thick 1cm thats a lot different than a thinning out 3-4cm, so keep that in mind.

Arcain- I think I felt the baby too, and as you know we're due date buddies! I swore I felt it last week when I was laying in bed at night.  This is #2 for me so I remember exactly what it felt like.  My midwife said it is likely not possible, but she said if I feel it I feel it.  In the end I guess it doesn't matter if its that or gas, but I swear it is baby in there!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Congrats Twin/Neb!  You must have posted while I was typing mine, so I didn't see your wonderful news until now. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations on your new little girl, Twin! 

I also have figured out some stuff for the nursery--we did buy a car seat a while back, and my in-laws are buying us a stroller as a gift.  And we ordered a crib and changing table on Amazon--shipping is free and we can return it if we don't like it in person, but the reviews suggested the crib was basically what we want, so we'll see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Thistle, out of curiousity, do you know what stroller you're getting?  I recently became the person I never thought I'd be... debating strollers like they are the biggest deal.  I guess it's more that I'm concerned about minimizing baby stuff as I don't want to accumulate junk and I don't have space for so much stuff.

Arcain- I didn't noticeably feel the baby move until around 19-20 wks, and at first it kind of felt like bubbles passing from one side of my stomach to the other.  The following week it felt like a muscle twitch.  At some point after that (not sure when) the movements became more solid and my husband could also feel them, but that was several weeks after I started feeling them.  This is my first baby so I didn't know what I was looking for and the OB also said that because my placenta was in the front, where it should be, that could minimize my sensation of the baby's movements.  Enjoy them as you feel them and don't freak out if you aren't consistently feeling them because the LO is still pretty tiny!  Soon enough you will feel the baby's kickboxing strength ;o)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

itsallnew, my husband told me what his mom decided on, and we looked at it together online and approved, but I don't actually remember now.  I will ask my husband and let you know.  I do remember it is super expensive--much nicer than I would have bought for myself, but I'm not about to complaint!

Arcain, I started feeling the baby kick pretty early--I'm pretty sure I could feel her at least a bit around 17 weeks, but not as early as you're describing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations Twin!!  :) Ignorant question: what does NST stand for?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Twin!!!

I think NST is a fetal Non-Stress Test - it measures the baby's heart rate in utero.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Kar, I think you mean "in utero", not "in vitro". :)

The NST is a little more than just measuring a baby's heartrate (because you can obviously do that with a doppler). You are hooked up to a monitor for a period of time 20 mins- 1 hour to track changes in baby's heartrate, especially that there are accelerations during baby's movements. My peri looks for at least three accelerations per NST. There is also a contraction monitor and they also look to make sure baby tolerates the contractions well if mom is contracting.

I've been having 1-2 NSTs per week since my abruption episode, so I am quite familiar with them!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes!  I caught it and fixed it, but apparently not quick enough to hide my mistake from everyone, lol. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Oh thanks, kar and kiwi!  That makes sense.  I have a lot to learn!  :)  My first ob appt is next week.  Just holding my breath for now that there really is a little heartbeat in there.  (The appt is just past the 11 week mark and the nurse told me they will listen for it.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats on your baby girl Twin/NEB!

Hughkona -- yours probably has a better chance of being real kicks since you know what you're feeling for, but I swear something is going on in there. Oh well -- if it isn't, I'll know when it actually starts.

No posts from Krysta for a little bit -- hoping that's baby news!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Wow, just had my first big scare since those paranoid early days of pregnancy! Has anyone else had fainting spells? My doc just told me they're super common, but I guess since I've never fainted in my life I hadn't paid attention until now!

I was just standing, talking to my boss, and in the course of about 10 seconds I became incredibly nauseous, unbearably dizzy, and my ears started ringing. I sat down and it only lasted 30 seconds or so, but I was covered in sweat after. Called the doc and she explained it was low sugar, which surprised me since I had a glass of juice when I woke up and a bowl of cereal a half hour before the spell, but she said it can happen anyway. Now I'm just drinking OJ and wishing this headache and nausea away. Now that I think of it, I was extremely hungry when I woke up but was in too much of a rush to worry about it, and I usually eat breakfast at work. Guess I'll be changing that habit!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Scary!  When I have low blood sugar (I'm not pg), orange juice actually makes me feel more nauseous.  Regular ginger ale with some saltines does the trick much nicer for me; it gets my sugar up and calms my stomach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Just a couple of weeks ago I went for a walk with my husband on a mostly empty stomach and got all dizzy and sweaty on the way back.  We pressed on and bought me a Twix bar, which worked wonders pretty quickly :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Well, Thistle, I must be feeling better, b/c reading your post has me craving a Twix something fierce now! They better have some in my building's vending machine! :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Arcain- definitely happened to me.  I was at a hearing in a packed room without a seat pretty early on in the pg (during my sickness period no less) and I had those same feelings.  The worst part was that (a) nobody knew I was pg and I didn't want to tell them and (b) my co-worker (who isn't or wasn't pg) was also feeling faint and started crying so I ended up having to take care of her before I could get myself to a bathroom to throw up.  I am not even convinced that my episode was low blood sugar.  Anyway, glad to hear that you are feeling better.  I totally understand the scare though!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Arcain-scary! But Did have this happen to me when I was about 20 weeks. For a few days in a row I would get really dizzy and feel like I was going to pass out. It was mostly in the AM-thankfully I was with DH at the time and would grab onto him. The worst episode was actually as I walked into Children's Hospital for a test-my blood pressure was really low at the time too. Almost to the point where they wanted to transfer me to Bringham and Womens. Stay hydrated and fed (combo of fat, sugars and salts-so don't just grab a piece of fruit and think that will help) and hopefully it will pass.

No Krysta for a few days! Hope that's good news! Anything news from Kiwi?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I bet you it was low blood PRESSURE as opposed to sugar.  It sounds like your sugar levels would have been normal?  Because your blood cells and arteries all dilate the first half of pregnancy your blood pressure typically drops.  Then, as your blood volume increases (by up to 50% by the end) your blood pressure will naturally rise.  So you are probably right at that bad stage where everything is dilated and you don't have all the blood volume to fill.  When you stand you drain the blood essentially from your head, eek!  So if you feel like that, try to put your head between your legs or somehow lower it from your heart level.  Apparantly its pretty normal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks, all! Glad I'm not alone in this.

KAM - Thanks for the advice. I didn't feel totally better until after I had lunch, which was more of a combo of fat, sugar, salt, protein, etc., but luckily no more fainting!

HughKona - You may be right, although I checked my BP a few hours later and I was normal (low end of normal, but still okay). I'm on a beta blocker for hypertension. I wanted to go off it before getting pg but the doc didn't want me to b/c they could never find a cause (I'm not overweight, etc.), but she did warn me to start taking my BP more frequently during the second tri in case the combo of natural lowering and meds made it drop too low. I'll definitely be monitoring more carefully now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Twin, congrats on your baby girl!

As for baby movement, I didn't really start feeling anything til about 19 weks - or at least nothing I felt sure was a kick. But now at 21 weeks the little bugger is kicking around all the time and DH can feel it, too.

Arcain - so scary about the fainting! Hopefullly a one-time thing now that you'll be more aware of blood sugar etc. I'm glad you recovered quickly. I definitely get a head rush if I stand up too quickly from lying or sitting, but I think that's pretty normal with changes in blood pressue around this time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Congrats TWIN!!!  Such wonderful news!!

RE: dizzyness ... I have experienced it, although much later in my pregnancy when I let myself get way TOO HUNGRY - I actually felt sick and couldn't figure out why at first. 

I'm still here...and still pregnant.  I stopped working on Tursday - I decided had enough.  Since I am/was insisting on waiting to be induced ... hoping to avoid it and have lobor come on naturally, the midwives wanted to monitor me a lot (like every day)  - after 10 hours of (mostly unnecessary) testing all day tuesday I decided to skip yesterday adn went in today for yet another NST... the results were positive and I was given another day to wait.  Starting to waver if that is what I want, but still hoping to go in to labor at any moment on my own!

I haven't been on the board because I really haven't been online all that much, just trying to rest and keep busy.

:-p

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Krysta--you poor thing! I'm glad your providers are letting you go and hopefully nature will take its course VERY soon.

I'm still plugging along 39.1 weeks today. Everything looked great with the NST and u/s today, so we've decided to not schedule an induction at this point, but are hopeful the little guy is set to make a move soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Krysta- I'm glad to hear that you're not still trying to work.  I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be right now!!  Really hoping that your wish of going into labor on your own anytime now happens soon!!

Kiwi- Congrats on being at 39 weeks and for things looking up for you to be able to go into labor on your own! 

KAM- how are you doing?

Sometimes I wonder how I'm already at 33 weeks and it makes me anxious when i think that it's only 7 weeks away from my DD!  We are doing a hospital tour this weekend and about 2 weeks after that we're doing the childbirth class.  I don't know why, but I'm so nervous that this kid will want to make an early entrance.  I'm hoping for at least a 39 weeker.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

How is everyone else doing? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I'm still here. Actually in my last day of work! yay! filled out my paper work to go part time so I don't burn as much leave! I'm so excited to meet this little girl on Monday!

I even came in late to work today, took DS for a flu shot then out to breakfast just the two of us, it was great. I'm going to miss all the one on one attention I can give/get with DS.

Krysta-good move on stopping work! Kiwi-glad to hear the bub is still doing well.

Arcain-hopefully you're at the end of the dizzy spells!

As for baby movement I definitely felt this little girl around 14 weeks, and DH even felt her at 16 weeks, early! One day you'll realize that yes, in fact all those bubbly feelings were the baby. With DS I had a anterior placenta so it took longer to feel.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Go, Krysta, Go! Also want to remind you (I'm sure you know/remember) that I was 12 days late, had pitocin, and still managed to have a "natural" (i.e. no epidural) labor and deliver a 9+ pounder...I don't call it entirely natural/unmedicated, of course, because of the misoprostyl (cervix ripener) pitocin and nubain...  but it's possible to make it without the epidural!  And I promise I'm no wonder woman. 

I have been obsessed with my now-almost-three month old...so I haven't been reading/posting at all!  I miss my daily updates from you ladies.  Hope everyone's doing well and I seriously need to catch up!!!  I haven't even posted on the infants/toddlers board yet! 

Sections
Shortcuts