September 2011 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Re: September 2011 Pregnancy

Krystabel, I can't believe you're still at work!  Here's hoping your baby comes soon, you must be so impatient by now.

Itsallnew, I haven't done much, but we panicked over the weekend when we realized that we have only 7 weeks left (and if the baby is 3 weeks early, which I'm considering possible because all of my mom's babies were, only 4) and bought a crib and sheets and mattress and so forth online.  So, she will at least have somewhere to sleep!

My other shopping related question, and it is a stupid one--how do you transport a newborn outside in winter?  I pictured getting a baby bjorn or something and just carrying her around with me, but she'll be born end of October and so it will be cold during most of my maternity leave.  So how does it work?  Can I just strap the carrier under my coat and leave it open at the top?  Or do I put the carrier on over my coat?  Or should she just be wrapped up warmly in the stroller?  These are trivial questions, but I don't want to spend my whole leave trapped inside, so I want to make sure I have the right stuff in advance.  It's also come up because my dad bought us a really nice baby bjorn carrier--but the one he bought isn't usable for babies under 13 pounds, and I'm wondering whether I need to return it and get one suitable for infants.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Krysta- You're still not in labor ey? I was a 41 weeker with my first, I can relate. Hoping it won't come to that this time 'round!  Do you have an induction date?  I thought they didnt' let you go much past 41 weeks anymore?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

thistle...in the winter I had a bundle me, which goes on the carseat.  It serves like a winter jacket.  I just added hats to my babies and they were always really warm.  I really liked my bjorn, but it was much easier to use the carrier when out and about since newborns sleep a lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

krysta--you're still at work?? You poor thing. I hope baby decides to make a move soon!

thistle--I second the recommendation for the BundleMe. We used one in the bucket seat and got a larger one for the stroller that we used last winter with DS. So easy and convenient. (Technically you are not supposed to use the BundleMe while driving in the car seat, but my engineer husband analyzed and concluded that it seemed much more secure to have one layer of fleece between the baby and back of the seat rather than lots of layers of clothing on baby...) We weren't big on babywearing outside the house, but the 2 things that worried us using the carrier outside in the winter was 1) both parent and baby being warm enough if you couldn't do up your coat and 2) worrying about slipping and falling on icy stairs and sidewalks while wearing baby. (We live in the city and walk places an awful lot.)

AFM, no news from me. Bub is still looking nice, healthy, and comfortable. We tentatively have an induction scheduled for my due date, as we are all still concerned about my placenta (after the abruption episode) and don't feel comfortable going "late". In all honesty, an induction would be so helpful to help plan for DS#1. We don't have any family in the area to help us out, so the more we can keep his routine (at daycare etc.) the better off we'll be. Plus, it allows the friends who are helping us to plan ahead as well.

Haven't heard from twin in a while...wondering what's hapenning!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Itsallnew - I had a good amount of pelvic/pubic pain.  The doc said it was most likely the ligaments in the pubic area.  Like you, I would feel it the most at work when getting up and down from my chair.

Arcain - We took a trip when I was around 30 weeks.  Worked well for me.  Went snorkeling and everything.  Check with your insurance, because my insurance wouldn't have paid for an out-of-state delivery after 37s weeks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Krysta-so sorry to see you're still at work! Totally not fair!

Kiwi-when is your induction date?

I'm still preggers and at work. Every morning I get a long stream of people coming by to see if I'm still here. I did some good nesting yesterday, cooked a bunch of food to freeze and baked some cookies for the office as a thank you for the shower they had for me last week. And I'm officially ready to check out of work, do my time sheets for the next few weeks, clean my desk and be done. Unfortunately people don't agree and are expecting real work from me still.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Good luck to everyone counting down the days!

Question -- I am trying to decide if I'm crazy or not, but I think I'm feeling some baby movement. I'm almost 15 weeks. I'm well-acquainted with what gas feels like, but the last few nights when I lie down, and today just sitting at my desk, I've gotten these funny vague twinges that feel somewhat different from gas. I know it's awfully early, but still possible this could happen now?

Either way, I'll know when I know, but I'm curious -- what was everyone's experience with that first baby movement?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Hmm - so we know the status on 3 of the 4 of us (still Pregnant!) ... I wonder how Twin is?  

Yes - Still at work...and tempted EVERY day to call and just say ... There is no baby yet, but I'm done ... Actually I've been going home at lunch to rest (so glad I only live 5 miles away!) ... and just getting up to come back to work int he afternoon is a tough decision!

KAM - I can totally relate to a couple of things you said!!! I've been ready to "check out" since before Labor day.  Last week my boss sent me an emial to manage an issue with new customer... after fuming about it quietly for an hour I settled down and went to him and said "bob has been handeling this quite effectively for a weekand the customer knows him and seems happy.  Do you want me to get involved even though I may only be here for a day and then and have to hand the customer back off to Bob" ... Luckily it worked!  :-)  ...as for the stream of people checking in ..I am trying to be patient, but there really is just so many times you can hear "your still here?"  ... this week I've tried a new tactic I've been replying with "I KNOW, can you believe it" and walking away.

As for the induction... They told me at my last appt that the latest they'd let me go is Saturday the 17th which is 2 weeks after my due date.  As uncomfortable as I am I am REALLY hoping to avoid that.  I have read from several sources and heard in the natural childbirth class that Pitocin because it can cause the baby stress increasing your chance of a c-section - and makes labor harder for both the mom and the baby. If the baby continues to look healthy, I may argue for waiting until the 20th since there was some discrepancy when they calculated my due date - originally they thought it was September 1st, then Sept 7th... so they had settled on Sept 3rd. Although the discomfort I'm in may make it hard to stick to that conviction.  I did decide that either way my last day at would will be Friday if I don't go in to labor before then ...which I am obviously praying for!  Honestly I am uncomfortable, but being at work is so much worse than I feel on the weekends partially because of all the questions adn comments that annoy me and mostly because sitting at my desk and in meetings is just uncomfortable! My couch and physio ball at home are much more comfortable!!! ...LOL and so are my PJs!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Hi Arcain, I first felt the baby move at around 19 weeks but I'm sure it varies for different women. At my 16 week appointment the dr said I should start feeling something anytime and one of my friends said she felt something around 13-14 weeks (of course, that was with her 3rd child so she knew what she was feeling). My earliest sensation felt like bubbles or something very light moving across my belly. I love being able to feel the baby moving, it's very reassuring!

Don't know if anyone else had this problem but I bought new bras recently and seriously 3 days later they felt too small. So I bought "bra extenders" which I'd never heard of pre-pregnancy and so far so good. It was just the band that felt too tight so adding another inch or 2 made a difference, yay!

Good luck Krysta, Kam and Kiwi!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Thistle - DD was also born in October.  I took her in the baby bjorn everywhere.  When we walked outside we had a thing called the "kiddopottamus".  It is this wooly thing that goes around your neck and covered the baby in the bjorn.  It also has warm pockets for you.  It is the best!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Krysta - just to give you a different side of the story on pitocin.  I had it with both of my pregnancies and they were both vaginal deliveries.  My first was not an induction, but I was given pitocin to help continue the contractions - I was fully dilated, but they were lessening.  It was a long labor (2.5 hours of pushing), but it was not a c-section.  I went in for an induction for my second (as I was done with being pregnant), but was already 4 cm, so I didn't get the cervidil.  However, I did get pitocin to help bring on the contractions.  They began and I went from 4 cm to 10 cm within an hour, pushed for 10 minutes and baby was delivered just fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Krysta--Me too on the induction.  DS was 8 days late and I didn't want an induction, but since I was 3cm they broke my water to start things off.  Then I had the pitocin on 2 and then 4 (low doses) but I had a walking monitor so I could still walk around (you're supposed to be constantly monitored on pit).  My water was broken around 4:30, the pitocin started around 6:00 and I had my baby au natural at 9:03 p.m.  I had the pit drip on and off as I was getting in and out of the shower fairly consistently.  So have no fear, if you do need an induction, it might not be that bad and you can still have a pain med free birth.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krystabel. Show Krystabel's posts

Thank you Smiley & Lost! I was actually really hopeful last night, I was having cramping adn lots of contractions, but they slowed down over night adn I've only had one or two this morning... I have a check up in a bit and I am hoping the contractions will pick back up.  Either way, I think I'm done working.  I'll call my boss when I get out of my appt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Krysta, sounds like big happening are imminent for you!!  GL!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good luck Krysta...my son's brithday is today.  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Krysta, I worked until my *overdue* date of 10/8 (he was born on 10/11 which was Columbus day so I had the day off) and I had the same things going on as you.  I was scheduled for an induction that Thursday, but they did some monitoring on 10/11 and there was a brief deceleration in his heartrate so we did the induction that day.  The worst part was that I was GBS+ so I had to sit in the hospital for 4 hours with antibiotics before they would break my water.  It wasn't that bad, but annoying because I wanted to see my baby and I knew that the induction was happening later. Oh, they also swept my membranes that morning (before the abx and water breaking) and that helped to move things along on their own as well.  Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Oh and happy birthday baby winter!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Krysta--GOOD LUCK! I am hoping that last night's symptoms are baby making the first move!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

itsallnew- I have the worst pain in my pubic bone area, it almost feels like I fell on the middle bar of a bike. Its very sore and achy. I just found out that my baby has flipped and is head down so I think it may have to do with a lot of the pressure from the baby, I am due 3 weeks from today and I am hoping that the pain doesnt get worse. I actually iced the area the other night because it was so painful.
    Good news from a friend of mine, she gave birth last night to a beautiful 7lb 7oz baby girl, she was 2 weeks late and had a scheduled induction for tomorrow but starting having contractions yesterday morning, she went to her ob and the babies heart rate dropped during two contractions so they sent her to the hospital. Since she was 2 weeks late they admitted her and induced her, she got the epidural around 5pm was 10cm by 6 and the baby was out at 9:32 pm, so she had a smooth labor. She was really concerned with being induced and the pictossin, but everything went well and mommy and baby are healthy!
    I am at work until the 30th of September, but I am also mentally checked out! I work at a school and luckily the students are going on break next week so my last two weeks will be strictly admin work and not having to deal with needy people!! I am so checked out and cannot for the life of me figure out why I said I would work till the end of the month lol.

good luck to everyone!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEB2008. Show NEB2008's posts

Hi All - It's twin! I had to change my screen name because I can't remeber my password. Our sweet bundle of joy arrived 9 days early on Tues, September 6th at 12:13am. Sat. (9/3) I had an unreactive NST so they wanted me to come in Sunday (9/4) morning for another one. DH and I went to a cookout and I ended up sleeping on our friends couch for three hours. We got home about midnight and as I got into bed I was thinking that I never made my appt for the week. My water broke on Sunday at 1:45am. I called my MW and she told us to go back to bed and come in for my NST in the morning or call back when we had 4 contractions in an hour. Needless to say we showed up for the NST with nothing still going on. She checked me and I was only an fingertip dilated. We went home and were told to call at dinner time to see where we were. We called and opted to go in at 8 for Cervidil. Well, by the time we got there they had 3 patients in labor so we were set up in the room and didn't end up hearing from anyone until 2:45am. We opted to sleep for the night and have the Cervidil in the morning. About 5pm Mon. night I started getting crampy. 12 hours after the Cervidil was inserted (8:45pm) they took it out. I was almost a 2. We were given 3 options, 1. wait til morning and see if the contractions would pick up and if not, get a full dose of pitocin, 2.get a low dow of pitocin that would be mild enough for me to sleep through the night with a sleep aid or 3. get the full dose of pitocin right then. We opted for #2. My IV went in and I started the pitocin at 9:30pm. About 20 minutes went by and I started getting really uncomfortable. About 11:15 I asked to get into the tub. I got in about 11:30 and the nurse went and got my MW because I was so uncomfortable (I should have been sleeping!!!). She checked me and I was fully dilated!!!! She told me I could start pushing through the contractions in the tub while they got the room ready. Once they were ready, I got in the bed, pushed about 15-20 minutes and Charlie Jane was born. I did need a little oxygen while pushing, but nothing serious. Once she was out, I felt so much better!!! I didn't know what we were having and I remember asking "What is it?" Everyone in the room was laughing, saying what is it back to me. They handed her to me and asked me what I had. I said "It's a GIRL, we have a baby girl" to my husband (he knew what we were having) and I started crying. It was so amazing, the whole med free process, even having my water break over 46.5 hours before she arrived. She is absolutely beautiful and we are so in love!!!!

Good luck to the ladies still waiting, Krysta and KAM!!!!! I'll be offline for a bit, but will be back soon!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Ooh, Good luck Krysta!

We finally got some nursery stuff figured out.  We went to the Baby Furniture Warehouse in Reading on Sunday to look around at nursery furniture.  So overwhelming!  We really liked the BonaVita Peyton collection, but it is pretty pricey.  We were also looking at the DaVinci Kalani collection on BRU, but found that they are not sold in stores, so there was no way to check out the quality.  The same thing is sold at Walmart.com under the name Baby Mod Cadence, and that collection was much cheaper.  But again, no way to check it out, and it got mixed reviews.  After looking at some similar furniture lines at BRU, we decided to go with the more expensive higher quality line of Bonavita, mostly for the better dresser construction (dovetailed joints, hard wood, no MDF or veneers, smooth glides). 

We did some research and found the best prices at Bambibaby.com (someone here recommended them in an earlier thread), and will be placing our order today!  No tax since they are based out of NJ, and free shipping (though, they do include a $40 packing and fuel surcharge on each piece, so take "free shipping" with a grain of salt).  But, with no tax and a 10% off coupon we found online, this was cheaper and will be much easier than picking it up from the Reading warehouse.  Plus, their items are in stock for immediate shipping, whereas the warehouse has an 8-14 week delivery estimate.  I only have 12 weeks til my due date, and want the nursery set up well before then.  Tip for new moms - do yourself a favor and start looking at nursery furniture at least 16 weeks before your due date! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks lost...the baby is 11.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Congrats, twin!! Enjoy these precious early days with your beautiful new girl!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Congrats Twin!!  Welcome to the world Charlie Jane!!  Best of luck as you enjoy your precious new baby girl :o)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Congrats Twin!!!

Krysta-I hope big things are happening today for you!