September 2012 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

September 2012 Pregnancy

In response to cwagner13 comment:
    [QUOTE]

Congratulations on all the new pregnancies!  

Our daughter was born on Sept 1 in the afternoon - we did go in for induction that morning. My plan was just to go as long as I could and then get the epidural. The early part went pretty much as I expected although slowly - I had gone in already 4cm (been at 4 for well over a week) and effaced to at least 60-70% so it was just getting set up and starting the low dose. First 5-6 hours was slow going and just waiting, without feeling much while the last hour was at warp speed (not to me - it seemed so much longer - when I asked for epidural, my nurse immediately got things set up for it but it takes like 1/2 hour for the IV fluids to drip in before they can do the procedure). So the last hour is one big blur - because by the time the IV was done, it was too late for the epidural (definitely one big mental curse when the anesthesiologist walked in, looked around - I guess the nurses were already setting up for delivery too, although I don't recall that - and said she could not do it, it was too late) - and my doctor got in just in time (my nurse even called the hospital OB just in case they could not wait for my doctor) for the one push I did. 

So, I guess I made my goal of delaying the pain medication as long as I could, but I don't see myself repeating that again.

[/QUOTE]

Congrats, cwag!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Re: September 2012 Pregnancy

Congratulations!

I'm still lurking in the background...only 10 weeks to go.  LO likes to hang out under my ribs so it makes sitting down painful after a while.  He must be growing a lot too as I'm pretty sure I felt/saw a foot thumping me last night!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

Congrats cwag! I'm glad that things turned out well for you, despite not getting the epidural in time. After the birthing class for DS#1, my DH and I were TERRIFIED that the active pushing stage was going to last for HOURS. When we heard the ranges of how long different labor stages could last, it was really not inspiring. When we got to it, I also pushed about three whole times before DS#1 arrived (I did have the epidural on board, though!). I hope that all of the labor pain is forgotten as you are getting to enjoy your new little girl :-)

AFM...less than 4 weeks to go officially. All of my friends and family and co-workers are taking bets on when we will actually deliver. I was 5 days early with DS#1 and DH is very suspicious that we will be closer to 2 weeks early this time. That would be fine by me, as I am ready to be done being pregnant. But DS#2 will make his appearance whenever he is ready, so it is just time to be prepared I guess!

Fuzzy - the rib kicking and movements at this point are the worst! There is definitely not enough room in there for baby to move that much, so I find it really hard to get into a comfy position for almost everything I do now. You are in the home stretch now!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I "graduated" from the RE today so I guess it's time to make the official jump to the pregnancy boards. My due date seems to keep changing but I'm going with April 27th. It sounds like I'm in good company in late April! I'll probably have a ton of questions as a first-timer. No I'm trying to pick a hospital and a doctor or midwife to deliver. When I told the RE who my GYN was, he winced. So yeah, I'll be shopping around. (He has a ridiculous C-section rate - one of the highest in MA!)

I do have one question. I have PCOS and the RE mentioned today that I'll probably have the glucose screening earlier than usual. Does anyone else have experience with this? I just wasn't sure how much earlier is normal?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

Hi Chiclet! Welcome to the pregnancy boards - very exciting to see so many people looking forward to next Spring :-) I was given a diagnosis of PCOS when I was 17 (have had a milder course than most I understand) and with my first pregnancy they did a glucose test around 16-17 weeks (which is early) and then again closer to 24 weeks (which is more "normal" time-frame). The 16 week test I passed with no trouble, but then I failed the one-hour at 24 weeks and had to do the 3-hour test. One of the values was high on the 3-hour, but the rest were fine, so it was considered a "normal" result. With my current (2nd) pregnancy, I just had the 24 week test and I opted to go straight to the 3-hour test since it is such a pain to keep going back to do. Again one of the values was high (so I would have failed the 1-hr test) but the rest were fine.

The testing stinks b/c you have to go in fasting and the "Glucola" drink is nasty, no matter what flavor you get. My advice is to drink it quickly and power through the taste. They start timing your "1-hour" from when you FINISH the entire bottle of the drink. GL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hope everyone is doing well.  Congrats, Chiclet!

I am totally in suspense over here at either 6 or 10 weeks pg.  I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm going to ask about how I can find out how far along it is (possibly the dating ultrasound others mentioned) and I'm praying it's 10 weeks.
    Because I feel super nauseous.  I'm trying hard to keep ahead of it by eating small bits, but I don't want any food, like, at all, and it's really unpleasant to try to force down food.
    (Not to mention I'm hoping to only gain 15-20 this time since I still have 5-10 extra from last time!)
    Bought some ginger gum this morning, marked for MS and motion sickness.  Not sure if it helped, but it can't hurt!  Perhaps the placebo effect.  :)

My next thing after finding out what's going on is to think about switching to a new OB or possibly a midwife.  Any second timers who did this?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hope everyone is doing well.  Congrats, Chiclet!

I am totally in suspense over here at either 6 or 10 weeks pg.  I have an appointment tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm going to ask about how I can find out how far along it is (possibly the dating ultrasound others mentioned) and I'm praying it's 10 weeks.
    Because I feel super nauseous.  I'm trying hard to keep ahead of it by eating small bits, but I don't want any food, like, at all, and it's really unpleasant to try to force down food.
    (Not to mention I'm hoping to only gain 15-20 this time since I still have 5-10 extra from last time!)
    Bought some ginger gum this morning, marked for MS and motion sickness.  Not sure if it helped, but it can't hurt!  Perhaps the placebo effect.  :)

My next thing after finding out what's going on is to think about switching to a new OB or possibly a midwife.  Any second timers who did this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Congrats Chiclet!  My due date is 4/22, so we are very close!  How are you feeling?

Medford, hope your appointment went well today.  I have my first appointment tomorrow morning, and I am really looking forward to it.  Hoping we get to hear a heartbeat.  Oh, and I did switch midwives with this pregnancy.  I only switched because we moved last year though.  I loved my midwife with DD, she was out of Harvard Vanguard in Wellesley.  Would have loved to stick with her, but the distance to the office and hospital just doesn't make sense.  So, I switched to a new midwife at Harvard Vanguard in Chelmsford.  Because I was going from one Harvard Vanguard to another, I didn't have to do anything with my records.  But, you may not have to do that anyway because your new OB or midwife may just have you fill out all the new patient paperwork.  We'll see how I like the new midwife after my appointment tomorrow....she has big shoes to fill!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks Everyone! LC - Thanks for your advice about the glucose test. I was about to get my insulin resistance figured out but, Surprise!, I got a BFP instead. I generally eat pretty healthy but I have a sweet tooth so I am a little worried about GD, especially if I'm at increased risk.

Memes, I'm so glad our dates are so close! I've been feeling pretty miserable but these last two days have been pretty good. Maybe I turned a corner? I haven't actually thrown up yet but I feel like the day after the stomach flu. I'm queasy and I know eating should help but I never know what to eat and if it will make me feel better or worse. I'm keeping cheese, yogurt and nuts pretty close. I've also had two migraines in the past week. I hadn't had one in over a year, but I got one last Tuesday (while waiting for an airplane, lucky me) and one this morning. They don't last long, but they suck the life out of me. I'm trying to keep it in perspective because I know it could be so much worse. How are you feeling? Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!

Medford, I hope your appointment went well. I'm dying to know if you're 6 weeks or 10!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Chiclet, your symptoms sound very similar to mine....although even though I have been nauseaous, I am still eating plenty.  And, I don't have the migraines (luckily).  Lately my nausea comes and goes, so it is more tolerable than it was a couple weeks ago.  I still feel like I have no energy though and wish I could just lay down a lot of the time.  I have found that if I drink a little bit of caffeine (like half an iced tea), it helps me to feel better. 

And, I had my appointment this morning and it went great!  I love my new midwife, so that is a relief.  She even did a quick bedside ultrasound, which I wasn't expecting.  I think she did it mostly to confirm the size of the baby and make sure the due date was accurate, and I actually measured 8 weeks, 2 days which is exactly what it should be!  And it's nice to already have a picture of the baby.  Everything checked out good though, which is great news.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

glad to hear about your good visit, Memes!

Chiclet - sorry to hear about the sickness.  I think whatever type of food you can get down is the right type of food.  :)  I'm feeling pretty rotten, too, but I am managing.  Almost had to leave a meeting this morning but then it passed enough for me to continue.  And for whatever reason, just like with my 2 yo DD, I want to eat a lot of different types of Asian food.  English muffins, yogurt, and other bland stuff like that have also been on my go to list.

My first appointment was pretty good, but still no official word on the due date!  It's a small office and they only have a tiny portable US machine.  I saw the nurse practitioner and she thinks it's more on the 6 week side (boo), but scheduled me for a real ultrasound for tomorrow (yay) so that I can find out for sure.  The other thing that was interesting is that now that I have turned 35, apparently I am of "advanced maternal age" and the screenings are different.

Still conflicted about changing providers.  I want to possibly see a midwife, but I would actually rather not change hospitals, but they don't have any affiliated with my "old" hospital.  I guess I can wait until after my next visit to decide.  I asked the NP if the OB could get my old delivery records because I'm going to try for no epidural this time and I want to understand more about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Medford, what additional screenings? With both, I was considered advanced maternal age (with my first, only because my due date was days after my 35th birthday) and I only know of the 19 week ultrasound being different in that my OB referred me to a perinatologist for the big screen uktrasound and anatomy scan and that we had to do a genetic counseling session there but we did not choose to take up any of the genetic testing options. Other than that, I don't recall any additional work just for my age and my OB told me she considered me low risk in all areas other than age for both of them.

If you are not sure about midwife vs OB, and focused on trying for not having epidural, have you considered birth doula? I am not sure how popular they are in MA or what policies your hospital has regarding doulas, but our hospital in my area welcomes doulas and I had one for my second. They can help with strategies to manage (which help me get as far as I got with second delivery and I ended up without epidural anyway because by the time I decided I could not take it anymore, it ended up too late for epidural to be put in, and the baby was born shortly after the anesthesiologist said it was too late :) ).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Official info: due date is April 27!  It'll be 8 weeks tomorrow.  Had the u/s this morning and it was a really good experience.  The guy they sent me to is amazing - explained every little thing and it was so interesting.  And, got to see/hear the heartbeat.  Both surprising and amazing - I didn't actually know it started this early, because with my DD I never had an early u/s and just listened to the doppler thing at the OB office; maybe around 12 weeks?

Anyway, it was all great news, although I was hoping to be closer to the end of the nausea zone.  This morning was the first time I actually threw up, but I've really been feeling rotten a lot of the time.  Got to keep eating!!

cwagner - they said for AMA they recommend an u/s around 12 weeks to check the neck and stuff, rather than waiting until 18 weeks.  The guy told me this AM that it is likely to start replacing amnio because it's just as accurate and no risk.  I had never heard of that before.  I think a lot of stuff varies by doctor or practice - I had friends who thought it was weird that I never got an u/s until 18 weeks last time, but it was standard at my doctor.

That is an interesting idea about the doula.  I will look into that!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, med!  Too bad you can expect more ms, but that's neat you got to hear the heartbeat soooo early!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats Med! We're due date twins! I'd like to be out of the nausea zone myself. I think today is my worst day so far (although I haven't thrown up yet). 

Cwagner - If you don't mind me asking, was the doula terribly expensive? I've wanted to look into them but I kind of wanted to know how much it costs first.

I have a question for you ladies about bras. (Sorry!) Obviously, my chest is getting fuller and I'm worried that I don't have much time left in my current bras. I think I'm already stretching them out because I'm so side-heavy. I just don't know what to do. Do I just get some new regular bras in a bigger size? Should I get some maternity bras? I don't even know the difference between regular bras and maternity bras! Should I wait and see how much bigger I'm going to get before I buy anything? I think I have time, but who knows? Ugh! I haven't told any of my girl friends that I'm expecting so I don't really have anyone to ask.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - I enjoy that we're due date twins!

Kar - thank you!  :)

bras - I don't know if there are maternity bras.  Probably!  With my first I just bought normal bras in larger sizes.  I did get cheap ones (like at Target) because I didn't want to spend a lot when I wasn't sure if it would keep changing.  I think ultimately I needed one band size and 2 cup sizes larger?  But I'm sure it varies a lot person to person.

This time I'll probably wear my old nursing bras.  The honest truth is that I've still been wearing them some (most) of the time.  The ones I have are stretchy with no underwire and they're so comfy.  I kept meaning to go get fitted properly for some nice new ones (my pre-pg ones from the first time don't fit quite right) but no sense in doing that now!

When your belly gets really big you might want some non-underwire.  I personally found underwire squished up by the belly to be very uncomfortable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

I just got some cheap bras in a bigger cup size.  I guess it all depends on how big you get over the course.  I could do with getting another chest size up but I have only a few weeks left I don't want to spend the money.  I will be getting some nursing bras for after delivery and hoping my chest circumference comes back down to normal (bras are wicked expensive).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Chiclet - I only went up a cup size (A to B, woohoo) while pg and I just bought cheapie bras at Target.  Once my milk came in though it was a different story... up to a D! In all I went up one band size and three cup sizes.  While on maternity leave I started with just sleep bras that come in S, M, L type sizing and lots of nursing camis.  Now that I'm back to work I needed something a little more structured and I got nursing bras from Target.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Oh, don't tell me that! I'm already a DD. If I get any bigger, I'm going to fall over! 

I was looking online but I guess I'll wait until I either can't stand it any longer or Kohl's has a sale.

I'm kind of down on my body today (and I know it's just the tip of the iceberg)! It's going to be a long 9 months...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Chiclet - in my experience the first tri sucks for body image because you're bloated and gaining weight but not looking pregnant.  Once I actually looked pregnant I liked how I looked.  You'll get there!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

For doulas - I am not sure what the rate is for Massachusetts area but where I live in Texas, it is around $600-800 on average - they do a flat fee and a few appointments to go over details and such and then come and stay with you for as early and as long as you want (most will come to your house long before it is time to go to hospital even if it is in the middle nights night or ends up being false labor).

Since it was my second child and I had been seeing a prenatal massage therapist who was in training to be a doula, and for certification process if they are following the DONA cert process, they usually don't charge a fee or charge nominal fee - much less than what they would charge once fully certified.

Based on one of the web sites I saw for MA, it seems to be similar in pricing. Since my post partum doula (from my first child and currently helping me) used to do labor, I had asked her about her thoughts on having someone who is in process of getting certified verus someone who has done it for a while, and she said one benefit of a doula in training is that they will be current in techniques and knowledge. 

Most important is that personality works - it worked out for me because I knew mine for a while beforehand. You want to meet before committing to the doula and make sure you understand how doula differs from midwife or OB :) they should not get in between you and your medical provider but provide you and your husband the support you need - good ones know how to walk that line. Mine came with me to the start of my induction and stayed with me until a few hours after birth. 

Medford, congrats on seeing the heartbeat :) I had not heard that the neck fold was replacement for amnio but my perinatologist did not seem inclined to push for amnio at all despite my age. He did check more carefully on everything. I am surprised they bump it earlier since I thought it would be too small to see the details like the heart function and such. I guess it really does vary from practice to practice :) like the dating u/s is done as routine here and both of my due dates were set based on that instead of LMP. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

it really varies a lot based on the practice, huh?  the dating ultrasound was only because I had no clue about the date of LMP - otherwise it wouldn't have even been offered.

Chiclet - I echo CLC.  the first trimester it's hard not to dislike the body changes (although try to ignore them and remind yourself it's for a good cause!)  Once you start looking pg, I think it's a lot more fun.  Plus people know then, so you can show off the belly.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

That makes me feel so much better. I feel like a fat blob right now. Not that I've gained any weight (maybe 2 or 3 pounds depending on the day) but I just feel gross. Everything must be moving. My jeans that I usually need a belt for are currently digging into my stomach. I haven't been eating as healthy as I usually do because the idea of eating a salad right now makes me want to vomit. I think I've eaten more carbs in the last three weeks than I have in the last year! I'm trying to keep it in perspective but I feel like I'm so early that I can't possibly be outgrowing my pants already! I'm really glad to hear that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Thanks Ladies! 

CWagner, thanks for the doula info. I did find out that a girl I went to high school with is a doula (and she's apparently amazing) but I don't know if I'm comfortable with an acquaintance being in that position. I think I'd rather someone I only know professionally, if that makes sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bloating and distention happens in pregnancy far before the baby is causing it.  It's hormonally driven in the first trimester until the baby gets big enough to contribute to belly size.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks for the advice ladies. I actually feel a lot better (about everything) than I did on Friday. I must have just had a really bloated day on Friday. I did go out and buy a maternity sleep bra at Target. I've always slept in a bra anyway (weird, I know, but I'm so uncomfortable not wearing one) but I noticed that it's especially tight and digs more at night. I thought having a sleep bra with less structure but will still hold me in place will be better. I haven't tried it out yet though. I think I just need to figure out what in my wardrobe isn't going to fit now and pack it away so it doesn't make me sad anymore. I did find a box of pants from a few years ago that are two sizes bigger than my current pants. I'm hoping that gets me through that awkward stage where I'm too big for my regular clothes but too small for full-on maternity pants.

We did tell DH's family last night. Now all the baby's grandparents and aunts and uncles and one honorary "auntie" know. We're still trying to figure out the schedule for telling people. I'm going camping with my girl friends next weekend and I think I'm going to tell them then while we're altogether. It's earlier than I'd like them to know, but it's the perfect weekend. We have a running joke that someone is always pregnant on this weekend so it's kind of fitting. I think one girl is going to be really upset that I didn't tell her before. She said something to DH's sister that makes me kind of dread telling her. She makes things so dramatic and that's the absolute last thing I want. I love her, but she can be a little overbearing about some things.

Sections
Shortcuts