SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

Welcome to the best month, everyone! And that's not just because my birthday is this weekend ;) Hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend. 

Thistle is next in line, right? How are you feeling? Anyone else have EDDs coming up?

Thursday marks 33 weeks for me. My baby shower is on the 14th, which I'm really excited about. It's taking all of my willpower to not buy baby stuff before then. I'm also making a pre-baby checklist (I love lists :).

I'm getting more and more nervous about going back to work. I want to and feel like I need to; I started my own business in January and it's been building, but I just dont know if I'll even make enough to cover daycare. That just makes me feel...ugh. I don't know what I'll do...look for another job, some random office thing? Ugh. It's like I'm sliding back into having no professional direction.

Anyway, we're also meeting another pediatrician on Friday. I really liked the first one we met and the practice in general. DH is leaning toward this one though...we'll see!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Re: SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

I'm excited about your baby shower too. Mainly to see all the cute stuff you are going to get. Good luck with the peditrician visit.

Long weekend was good. Mine was made even longer because I had my CVS Wednesday and the dr told me to take off Thursday. Rather than use up vacation time, I ended up working from home. I had already taken that Friday off to head up to Albany for the weekend.

The CVS was not pleasant at all. First my bladder was too full and I kept having to empty it a little which I am not really good at doing and then the speculum was just really, really uncomfortable. Just really glad it's over with and they got enough of a sample.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Northern... thinking of you as you now wait for results.  Glad you were able to take it easy on Thursday, and have the option to work at home.  WPP - so exciting that your shower is almost here.  Resist the urge... you will be amazed how generous people are and how much stuff you will get.  I'm mid 28 weeks and feeling ok - belly is starting to get in the way and annoying.  Overdid it this weekend with yard work and the humidity, but no biggie.  No lasting effects.  My glucose test is this Friday... not looking forward as I recall it gave me such brutal heartburn last time (I read it has something like 50 gms of sugar... and as someone who doesn't drink soda... that's just insane to me). 

Looking forward to this month as well... but Oct is really the best month WPP (and not because that is MY birthday :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

WPP, I think I probably am next!  I'm due on the 21st.  I'm actually feeling better than I was--I still can't walk that much but I think the baby has dropped and that's given me a little relief in terms of the pelvic pain.  Still ready for the baby to come anytime! 

Good luck with the shower!  And yes, try to buy as little as you can before then--and even after then, try not to buy too much (especially clothes and blankets) because people will send you gifts after the baby is born.  My shower isn't until this weekend (it's a work shower with other people) and I did cave and buy some things, just so the baby has something to wear home from the hospital if he's early.

Northern, good luck!  And I hope the wait doesn't make you too crazy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

So frustrating news-the sample they got is growing extremely slowly. They took half of it and it turned out to be all me and the other half they have in the lab growing but they don't think they'll have full results for awhile. They are going to check with the lab again next week (when I should have been getting my results) to see where we are with the growth/results of the test. They want me to consider an amneo at 15 weeks which would then take another two weeks to get a result. This is just...frustrating. I'm starting to feel like we never should have done this and just waited until November to start the whole IVF process. I don't want to wait another month to tell people and I don't want to be 17 weeks pg making decisions about this pregnancy either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Northern - Sorry you aren't getting good news right now. Hopefully the sample they have will work out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Oh, Northern, I'm sorry. This whole process sounds awful. It's so easy for labs to be callous about these things--it's their daily job but it's *your* life. 

Why do they want you to do the amnio in addition to this test? And does that one have to take that long for results too or can they speed it up?

IPW, I will accept any answer of Sept. through Nov. for best month. ;)

Thistle, glad to hear you're feeling better. You're almost there! The pelvic pain isn't a pubic symphasis thing, is it? I've heard that's excruciating. :(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

WPP-They're afraid the samples may not garner any results and an amnio would also be able to detect what they are looking for in a CVS. The CVS can be done earlier which why we opted for it first.  An amnio would take two weeks for a result so I'd go in at 15 weeks and then have to wait two weeks for the results. I'm not afraid of going in for an amnio at this point and by that I mean the procedure itself. I just don't want to go through all of this only to get disapointing news. Who knows, after all this, years from now this may just be a blip on the radar but it sure doesn't feel like it right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thistle - good luck!  You are almost there.  I had pubic symphasis pain with my first, mostly when I was lying down and trying to move or roll over.  OMG... so bad, felt like I was splitting in two.  I feel for you with any kind of pelvic/hip pain and hope that you are able to manage these last few weeks.

Northern - pls forgive if this is prying, or if you've covered this before.  I'm vaguely remembering you saying that the genetic trait you are testing for is something that you have?  Am I dreaming this?  And, without knowing you personally, and really, really not trying to pry, but you are having a healthy life, yes?  Sounds like you have a great marriage, friends, job and were able to get pregnant, and hopefully will have a healthy, uneventful pregnancy.  I'm sure you are wishing that whatever it is that could be passed along, won't be present with your LO.  I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say, perhaps just to focus on the positives of your life as you wait and aren't getting the answers you are hoping for as quickly as you are hoping for.  That being said, I have the worst lack of patience of anyone, and can only imagine how frustrating the waiting is for you.  I'm so sorry the lab isn't being quicker, or more thorough.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

IPW-you're absolutely right, on both accounts. Yes, I have a disorder and yes that's what we're testing for in hopes of our children not inheriting it. It can manifest in so many different ways, my mother had a very mild case, mine is more complicated so we don't know what would happen with the next generation. But you are also right that I have a strong marriage, we both have good jobs, have a home, two cars, savings, good friends and family. And dispite having what I have-things could be far worse & I consider myself very lucky in that respect. It's sometimes hard to see the forest through the trees when all you can think about is finding out as soon as possible so you can get on with the next phase of things.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Northern - I wish you the best of luck and hope that the CVS will produce some great results so you don't have to wait any longer.

Got a BFP this morning. First month of trying which is just so unbelievable!! It look over two years with DD. I'm still trying to process it. DD will be two tomorrow. I'm still trying to process that as well, :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Almost - Congrats!!  That is so cool!  Enjoy your daughter's birthday and very sticky wishes that she will have a new sibling in 9 more months!!

Northern - really wishing that you get the result from the sample they already took - and thinking positive thoughts for you and your baby.  Not sure they can detect this early, but even if you do get news that something has been passed along, perhaps you will learn it is more like your mom's mild case.  Wishing for the best possible outcome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

In response to AlmostHere08's comment:

Got a BFP this morning. First month of trying which is just so unbelievable!! It look over two years with DD. I'm still trying to process it. DD will be two tomorrow. I'm still trying to process that as well, :)

Congrats!  I too, just found out that I am expecting #2.  My DD is 21 months, and we just went off the mini-pill in June.  I was waiting to get a regular cycle again, and then was going to start tracking and planning like we did before (it also took quite some time).  I had two cycles, but they were irregular, and I just figured it would take a while to get started.  So we weren't technically even "trying" yet!  Of course, we weren't "not trying" either, we just didn't expect it to happen so soon.  But of course, we are very excited.  It's so hard not to tell anyone, which is why I reactivated my account on these boards - I had to get it out there somehow!  lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Congrats to Almost and jennifyr!  I got pregnant with #2 our first cycle of trying too, and I thought I was going to fall off the toilet when I saw the positive test.  It was right before Christmas, and I was purely testing because we were going to a party and was craving martinis and wanted to assure myself I was good to go.  Oops!  That little guy turned 1 yesterday. WIshing you happy, healthy pregnancies! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations to the new pregnancies!

Northern - just writing to say I'm so sorry you have more waiting.  It's terrible.  I know you were really hoping the wait would be over by now.  Is there a genetic counselor you can talk to who will help you with some of these decisions?  Ours was only OK, but it was better than nothing.  The wait to tell is a challenging one... we had a similar/different situation where the CVS came back with no major problems, but we were still at high risk for a major cardiac or structural defect and couldn't get info about that until 18 weeks.  So we did wait that long to tell work and most people, but it was really the pits.  Whatever you decide, I'll be thinking of you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Med-I'm glad you understand what it's like to wait so long to tell people. My work pants already don't button so I can't imagine what I am going to look like 4 weeks from now and potentially not having told anyone. It may be pretty obvious at that point that I'm pg but we'll see. Really, that's a silly thing to worry about! Also, thankfully I can still get away with casual dresses in the office until the end of the month Smile 

We're working with a genetic counselor now, she's been the one calling us about lab updates and what not. She's super sweet and I really like working with her.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Northern - I think I was at a little advantage because since it was #2, I had never totally lost that little "belly" look from #1, so it took a long longer to show.  But also, drapey cardigans can be your friend.  :)  I wore a lot of black shirts with cardigans that had long, straight drapes down the front.  If that makes sense!  I also know what you mean about feeling like it's a silly thing to worry about!  Sometimes it's good to focus on the silly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Awesome BFP news these days! Congrats and sticky vibes to Jen & Almost. 

Northern, scarves!! I'm obsessed with scarves as an accessory and you can drape them so they hide what you want them to hide. Target & Old Navy have nice, inexpensive ones. Obviously, shopping fixes all of these problems. ;) And IPW had some great sentiments in her post. You & your DH are solid and you guys will get through all of this together! Maybe you can do something nice for yourselves, something you've been putting off or just indulge in a real treat. Also, let me know if you need a shopping buddy ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Northern--sorry about the delays in your testing results.  Just wanted to lend more support.  I waited until 18 weeks to tell most people (and work) about my pregnancy, and it was just fine.  No one suspected, and no one seemed too upset when they found out.  I wore drapey cardigans and generally carried a bit small, so maybe that helped.  I have a small frame to begin with though...  We did tell our family and a couple close friends earlier, because I wanted their support. I was paranoid after 2 pregnancy losses.  Not sure I really believed I'd be taking this baby home until the very end of my pregnancy.  Pregnancy can be a rollercoaster for a million reasons, and it is your right to keep things private when you need to and share when you're ready.  Keeping everything crossed that you have a healthy baby & pregnancy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Northern, I don't know your situation, but I also wish you all the best and hope the results you need come back quickly!  Good luck!

And I just want to say that it's so nice to come back to these boards and see so many familiar names/avatars from when I was actively TTC and pregnant with #1.  Congrats to everyone who moved from the TTC board or who are on a subsequent pregnancy!  

On another note - I wondered if anyone else finds it strange that they don't typically schedule your first dr. appointment until 8-12 weeks?  That's pretty much the end of the first trimester.  I get that not all pregnancies last that long (I miscarried once at 8 weeks), but I'd rather get in early and have more information than less.  Also, I'm concerned about all the women who aren't educated on what to do/not to do during pregnancy.  If they can't see a doctor until 12 weeks, how will they know to stop taking certain meds, or to avoid certain foods, etc?  By the time they get in and speak with a doctor, it seems like a lot of damage could be done. 

Even I have questions on what is safe.  1. because it's been a while since I was pregnant, and 2. because I'm taking an additional supplement that I wasn't last time.  I'm also using a medicated lotion for dry skin, and I have no idea if it's safe during pregnancy.  I just think it's weird and think we should be able to get an appointment the second we get the BFP.  But maybe this is just MGH? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Jen - congrats on your BFP.  So exciting to have some more folks joining this board.  Its been just a few of us for a few months as we had a bunch of early summer babies!  I hear you about the appointments.  I remember wanting one asap.  I'm guessing it is because of the common occurance of miscarriage between 4-8 weeks.  They probably wouldn't have enough office visit slots for every BFP.  That being said, its not comforting having to wait and wait.  For the questions you have about your supplements and lotion, etc., hopefully your office has a really great triage nurse that can definitely chat with you on the phone.  I have one who is more senior than the intake nurses, and will spend quite a bit of time on the phone in between appointments. 

I had my glucose test this morning.  Yuck.  So, so, yuck.  Fruit punch flavor - blah.  Hopefully a negative result so I can continue with my evening scoop of vanilla ice cream :-)  Also got my TDAP shot - they are making those needles so small these days.  I was all nervous and hardly felt it at all (same with the blood draw needles...honestly, ripping the bandaid off hurts more).  I'll be 29 weeks this Sunday, measuring 31 weeks.  Definitely having the same exact pregnancy as my first.  Which means I'm on track for a 9lb+ boy again.  The plan is to schedule the c-section for 39 1/2 weeks.  They will send me for a measurement u/s around 37-38 weeks.  If baby isn't crazy large (I'm very short and petite)... and I go into labor before the scheduled date... I'll try a VBAC.  Otherwise I'm more than happy to go on my scheduled date for the surgery, with plenty of time home before thanksgiving!  DS was 9 days late - can't tell you how thrilled I am that I won't be having that experience again!  Still seems so far away, but my doctor's appointments are now every 2 weeks... so that must mean I'm getting closer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Jen, I'm with you on the appts! It's not just MGH; I started at Harvard Vanguard and moved the the Cambridge Birth Center. Pretty sure it's standard. Even if they had a group informational session or something for women in early pregnancy, maybe with a Q&A at the end.

IPW, I was flying after thar gross glucose test. All of that sugar--I couldn't stop shaking! Yuck is right. I thought the tdap shot was barely anything too, but my parents got it (did they recommend close family to get the shot too?) and my mom said her arm was sore for awhile. Anyway, it must be a relief to have your C-section date scheduled and know what's coming!

AFM, I feel like the baby is low, like her head is really wedged into the center of my pelvis. Is that weird? I take walks almost every day (slowly, lol) and it's like I can feel it right there super low. Normal for 33 weeks? She's also using my bladder like a squeeze toy. Recently I've noticed some...leakage (it's great to have anonymous forums, isn't it?). 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

WPP - Kegels, kegels, kegels!  I had leakage issues towards the end of pregnancy with DS, and right after both DD and DS. If I sneezed or laughed to hard, and if I really had to go (and honestly, towards the end of pregnancy, when don't you really need to go) I  would leak a little. I will say that with DS almost 4 months old, everything is back to normal, so it was pretty temporary. But keep doing those kegels, they really do help!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I need to start doing them too. For my CVS, they had me try and empty my bladder a little and it wasn't pretty. I was able to do it but it wasn't pretty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Can't say enough about kegels! I tried doing them at every stop light on my way to and from work. No one prepared me for this, but after I delivered DS, my bladder control went right out the window. It seemed like every time I stood up, I leaked (or worse). By the time my brain realized I had to go, my bladder couldn't take it. It got to the point that I had to schedule a trip to the bathroom every two hours. It got better after a few weeks, but still, DO YOUR KEGELS!

Sections
Shortcuts