SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: SEPTEMBER 2013 PREGNANCY

Happy EDD, thistle! Are you pretty uncomfortable at this point? Hope your LO decides to make an appearance soon!

We did a breast feeding class today, which was really helpful, except now I'm a little nervous and I have a million questions for my midwife!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP - glad you did the class, but don't worry about the unknowns right now.  It will really make a lot more sense once you have your LO to actually practice with.  Then you'll have very specific questions related to you and her that you can work with your midwife and lactation consultant on.

Must've turned the wrong way in bed yesterday morning and got a wicked charlie horse in my calf.  For me, if I stand on that leg it goes away fairly quickly.  So I lept out of bed (not pretty at my size!) and I was yelling "owe, owe, owe."  My DH was already up getting ready and totally freaked.  He knows I've been having cramps so I can't imagine what he was thinking.  Sorry hun! :-)

Curious how all the new BFPs are doing?  I believe there were quite a few on the TTC boards this month.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

IPW, those calf cramps are the worst! I've also found relief if I stretch with my toes going toward my knee (opposite of pressing on a gas pedal). 

Also, Now I understand what you were talking about with the Braxton-Hicks and the super hard belly all day! I started wondering if I was going into labor yesterday; I hadn't had them before. It was a combination of lower cramping (midwife said maybe nerve/ligament impingement) plus the hardness spreading across my abdomen. Definitely not comfortable. I went to bed at 8 pm because everything felt so strange. 

With all the new BFPs, we'll have a wave of baby's on here around...April/May, right? How's everyone feeling?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Well, I'm now 8 days past my EDD.  Getting ridiculous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thistle... I'm so sorry.  I saw your name as the last post and was so excited to hopefully read about a new arrival.  I went 9 days late with DS... my heart goes out to you!  I can't recall... are you still working?  Have they done a measurement u/s or talked induction date?  That is how I ended up with a c-section.  DS measured 10 lbs and I was closed up tight.  Doctor said no amount of pitocen would have worked (guess they really only want to start it when your body is at least 1 cm or thinned).  And with my size compared to his potential size... we decided on the surgery.  He ended up being 9 lbs... so I was happy with the decision at the end of the day.  Thinking of you and wishing you the beginnings of labor very soon!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I broke down and went shopping for maternity pants this weekend. I'm 16 weeks and while I haven't gained much (if anything at all), i'm rounding out a little and nothing buttons. I'd been looking around for about and week and I wasn't having much luck at deptment stores or Target and stuff is expensive!  I ended up going to two different Savers thrift shops- 3 pairs of dress pants and one pair of jeans for $25. I also bought two pairs of khakis online from Old Navy since they were having a great sale-$40 for including shipping. Plus I have a belly band for my other pants too. I'm kind of impressed with my finds, not gonna lie.

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I've been offline a few days, so just caught up on all the news.  Glad it wasn't early labor, IPW, and thistle- wishing you luck for a delivery soon! 

Well, our first appointment last week didn't go so great.  They couldn't hear a heartbeat (not uncommon at estimated 10 weeks), so they did an ultrasound.  Unfortunately, they did not see a 10-week baby in there.  She said it was about the size of a 6-week embryo and sac, and they couldn't see a heartbeat, but 6 weeks was usually the cusp of when a heartbeat is visible.  So, we're going back next week for another ultrasound to see if it's growing (maybe our dates were just 4 weeks off), or if it's not a viable pregnancy. 

It's possible our dates are off, but we calculated the 10 weeks from the start of my last period.  Since I had recently gone off the pill, perhaps I just had a really long cycle and didn't ovulate until 3 weeks or so after expected.  We also didn't test until 4 weeks after the "missed" period, so we really can't pinpoint the progress of the pregnancy at that point.  If we had tested way earlier, and the embryo was only this far along, they said they'd be more concerned.  I've always been pretty regular though, so while I'm trying to be hopeful, in the back of my head I can't help but think it could be another miscarriage. 

The good news is that I have not have any bleeding, and last time I had a miscarriage, I was spotting at around 6 weeks.  Also, we know that we could have conceived around that time frame, thanks to a hotel night away from DD at a friend's wedding that weekend, so the timing might actually make sense.  We're just trying to stay positive and hope I had a really long cycle and are 6-7 weeks along now, rather than 10-11. 

We go back on Friday for the comparison U/S.  Wish us luck for a heartbeat and a 7-week measurement in size.  Hopefully there is more good news in October. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Fingers crossed for you Jenn. Hope you just had a longer cycle coming off the pill!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hang in there, thistle, you're so close! Hope something happens soon. Sorry you're so frustrated. :(

Jen, so sorry for the scary news at your appt. I hope your dates are off and you'll get good news on Friday. How are you feeling physically? No bleeding is a good sign...hopefully it was that friend's wedding that did it!

Northern, I'm also impressed by your savvy shopping. Never heard of Savers, but it sounds fantastic.  I shelled out for Target and Old Navy and now the only comfortable pants I have are yoga pants, but I really don't want to buy anything for just a few more weeks. I hate that full panel on jeans and dress pants; I feel like my belly is being suffocated (I know that doesn't make sense). Folding the panels down just feels like cutting into my pelvis.

Tested positive for GBS. :( They just give you penicillin intravenously? The midwife didn't seem too concerned, said it just changes things a bit, and to stay off the internet, lol. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Lurking over here and wanted to say that I'll be thinking of you Jenn!  Hoping your timing was off and everything is okay.  Prayers and good thoughts to you and your family.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Lurking - WPP - I was GBS+ for my first pregnancy and was not for my second.  I really didn't notice a difference between the two, honestly.  They give you penicillin via IV and want you to have a full dose at least 4 hours (I think) before you give birth so they will want you to come to the hospital a bit quicker to ensure that you get the full dose.  Obviously this means you will have to get to thehospital a little sooner than they would otherwise have you come and you will be hooked to an IV for awhile. In terms of being hooked to the IV, that wasn't a big deal at all, I was able to walk around because they put the bag of meds on an IV pole on wheels, and I was hooked to a few other machines too because they were monitoring baby's heartrate and taking my blood pressure etc so I barely noticed it.  It's not like it means you will be bedridden during the entire labor or anything.  I tried to look at it as positive thing in that I was very concerned about being in pain during labor - and not trying to labor w/out an epidural - so I was glad that it was an "excuse" for me to come to the hospital on the earlier side.  Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Jen - Sending you hugs and good thoughts! Friday can't come soon enough!

WPP - FWIW, I freaked out about having an IV while I was in labor but it was a piece of cake. (I wasn't GBS+ but I needed fluids immediately to help DS's heart rate, then I needed pitocin.) They put mine in the side of my forearm so my hands were completely free. They have me an extra long line and I was free to roam the halls. I was worried that it would be in the back of my hand that that I wouldn't be able to move but I could barely feel it. The only kind of crappy thing about being GBS+ is that you won't get to labor at home as long as you might have without it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Thanks ladies!  Yes, this will be a long week of waiting!

Chiclet - having the IV in the arm rather than the the hand sounds wonderful.  Getting an IV at MGH is pretty standard if you are getting an epidural, so I had one in my hand.  To be blunt - it sucks.  :)

WPP - I didn't have it either, but from what I remember (I read A LOT about all the possibilities) it's really not that big of a deal - don't stress!

Northern - that does sound like a good deal on maternity clothes!  Aside from a good trip to the Motherhood outlet store and a few purchases from Kohl's and Old Navy, I ended up getting a lot of used clothes, either hand-me-downs from friends, or stuff from Craigslist.  One of the CL purchases ended up being a super deal - about $50 for a trash bag worth of clothes.  Score!  And they were decent staples like solid t-shirts, jeans, shorts, and black pants for work.  I mostly have warmer weather maternity clothes, though, so if this pregnancy sticks I will likely need to invest in some winter maternity gear.  I actually liked the full panel on pants, unless it was super hot.  But, since you're dealing with fall and winter, the extra layer shouldn't bother you too much.  I found the panel was much more comfy than the belly bands, but I tried to stay in my regular clothes for as long as possible, so the belly bands really helped. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Hi All!

I am 14 weeks now, and things looked great at my last appointment. I am still in my regular clothes, but my skinny jeans are pretty tight, lol and I finally used a b-band this weekend on them. My other jeans and all work clothes still fit fine but the belly is rounding for sure! 

My friend gave me a bunch of her maternity clothes, and I am going to add to the pile and give them back to her for her 2nd pregnancy (she is trying now!). This way we get our own little maternity "store!" 

In two weeks I should get the gender/genetic results from the Harmony test - fingers crossed for sure!! 

I feel great, no complaints other than absolutely starving! 

Jen - thinking of you this week, best wishes! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Im lurking too! 

Jenn - Good luck on Friday!  Hopefully its just that your timing is off. 

WPP - I was GBS positive too.  As the other girls said, you will need to get to the hospital a little earlier to have the penicillin IV.  I believe that it was 4 hours too.  I had the IV in my hand which wasnt the greatest.  I would definitely recommend having it inserted in your arm if possible.  Although it really wasnt a problem.  I could get up and walk around etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lurking, too!  Jennifyr - thinking of you.

Northern - I have been thinking of you all week.  Hope you're doing okay.

WPP - even if they say they need to place the IV in your hand, it's still not that bad.  It hurts more than the arm when they first put it in, but then it's fine.  I actually kind of liked having the IV pole with me when I was walking around.  I felt like I had something to hold, which always makes me feel better.  And it has the circle wheel thing so you can pretend you're a ship's captain or driving an 18 wheeler or whatever.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Jennifyr--sorry for your scary first visit. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. 

WPP--I was also GBS+. My OB said not to worry about rushing to the hospital earlier bc labor is usually plenty long. Indeed I was admitted over 24 hours after labor began and still labored for 18 hours at the hospital. The IV only takes a relatively short period to infuse--maybe 10 minutes? I don't quite remember. After that, they hep lock the IV and I was free to move around completely untethered for 4 hours until I needed the next dose. (This means the little needle stays in your arm but it's not attached to anything. This way they dont have to stick you again for your next dose, but you're free to move in the mean time.) I used the jacuzzi tub, walked the halls, leaned on my yoga ball--all as planned! so definitely ask about getting a heparin lock on your IV. I would guess that is the default, esp the  birthing center!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Hi Ladies!!! Haven't been able to get on much the past few weeks. Feeling pretty horrible. All day nausea this time around too. Have my first appt tonight though. Looking forward to it.

Jennifyr - Hope you get good news!! Thinking about you and your family.

Thistle - Hope you don't have to wait much longer!!

Hope everyone else is doing great!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absence of pg symptoms is meaningless, but the presence of ms and other early pg symptoms generally is a good sign - best tonight Almost.

jenn, thinking of you...the days must feel like weeks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Jenn, so sorry for the scary news--thinking of you!  Did they do a beta at all?  if so you could always ask for another to try to get some information while waiting for the next ultrasound.  Good luck!

Re: GBS, I'm also positive.  My understanding from my midwife is if I'm not on an IV for other reasons (i.e. induction) then I can just have a closed IV port and be hooked to the IV only for 20 minutes or so every 4 hours.  She also said that I should be using the same calculation as everyone else for when to come to the hospital, and if I don't get antibiotics at least 4 hours before delivering they just watch the baby a little more closely.

AFM, I'm now 10 days past due.  As of last Wednesday I was 1-2 cm dilated and thinned, and my midwife tried sweeping my membranes, but nothing is happening.  Induction is scheduled for Friday night now, which is as far as I can reasonably push it.  In the meantime I'm still at work, but I have Thursday off anyway and I plan to take Friday off also, so I will have a little break if I don't go into labor before the induction. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Hey Med-I'm not up to talking about it much right now but no, things aren't good. The test didn't come back in our favor. Lots to decide at this point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Northern, thinking of you.  So sorry that you didn't get the news you hoped. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Good to hear the GBS+ ladies' experiences. They did mention the hep lock, which I hadn't known about but sounds like a great way to stay mobile. It feels strange that she'a coming so soon--I feel like I've been pregnant forever and now it's getting real that we'll have a tiny human shortly. Definitely getting more nervous!

Thistle, sorry you're still waiting! Your docs will go about 12 days before they want to induce? I've heard that different practices use varying guidelines. Hopefully something happens in the next couple days! Drink some caster oil and eat vindaloo!

Hugs to you, Northern. I hope you and your DH can lean on each other. Let me know if you guys feel like having some company IRL this weekend (unless you feel like being left alone).

Almost, good luck at your appt today!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Northern... I'm sorry.  I will be thinking of you.  Whatever happens, try to keep in mind that all you do, you do for the right reasons.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

So sorry, Northern!  I wish you strength when making your decisions. 

Sections
Shortcuts