September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Re: September Updates

shifting gears... did anyone else feel like they got beaten with an ugly stick sometime in the 3rd tri?  i'm puffy all over - the necklace i'm wearing today isn't SUPPOSED to be a "choker" (i can pretend i'm celebrating 9-02-10 day a little late) - my compression stockings are giving me a ridge-of-fat line above them, my watch and bracelet don't fit anymore (forget about the rings, they came off around 20 weeks), and my face is just puffy nastiness.  ugh!!!!  i want to hide under a burlap sack!!!  :(

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

RE: BF

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I think APNO cream saved my n*pples in the beginning.  The collustrum phase is sooo painful.  DD gave me hickeys and even drew blood at one point which was VERY scary to me.  APNO is a compond that you need to be prescribed, and it is so soothing on!  Definitely ask for it at the hospital.  I also think that the help of LCs in invaluable.  I had no idea how to BF and had they not shown me how to shove my whole aerola into DDs mouth I also would have been a BF failure.  There are LCs in the hospital that will help you after you deliver and BF support groups.  NWH has a great group!

I have had a really good experience BFing after my milk came in.  There were a couple of times I had plugged ducts, but I just let DD nurse more to help me relieve them.  I didn't start pumping until 4 weeks.  My pedi recommended we introduce the bottle at that time since we knew DD was going into daycare and we didn't want her to reject the bottle.  Apparently, at 4 weeks babies are open to trying new things and that's past the n*pple confusion point.  She took it like a trooper and switched back and forth without a problem.  I got the medela freestyle pump and I love it.  Don't be too discouraged if you don't pump a lot at first.  I was always freaking out about it because I'd pump only a little when I tried and that was always at night.  Pump after your early morning feedings and you will get much more which you can either freeze or use as your bottle feed later that day.

My DD is now 4.5 months and has yet to have a drop of formula!  I have been back at work since she was only 12 weeks old and have been pumping enough to cover her needs.  So I hope my story helps as another example of how everyone is different and you can't really predict if you will have a hard time with it - so try not to worry too much about it :)  You will do enough worrying after LO arrives.  Relax while you still can!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Ok I have a question about exclusive pumping (all this BFing info is great, and extremely overwhelming at the same time). I really want to BF, partly b/c i know it is good for baby and bonding and all that but also because I've heard that it really helps to burn calories and lose some of that pregnancy weight faster (is that true?) If that is true, what about exclusive pumping? Do you get a simliar benefit?

call me vain, but I'm terrified of not being able to lose weight after I have a baby.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Yes, attachment parenting was/is her parenting philosophy, lemon.  So she did nurse on demand and for comfort/soothing throughout the first year, so on paper, she may have been nursing a tad more frequently than after the newborn phase than some moms end up needing (I'm no expert on this by any means, so I don't know if I'm accurately describing it.  Just going from my understanding of her experience and how she described it to me).  I think her LO could also be described as a snacker - a very quick nurser, but a frequent nurser even later on in that first year.  I didn't mean to imply that she should try and "force" LO to take a bottle and regret my choice of wording there, but that's what she described it feeling like to her - LO would get so distressed and hungry but would refuse the bottle, she felt like it was a "forcing."  I think what ever felt comfortable for her obviously was the right decision for her.  I hope my choice of words or trying to second-hand describe my friend's experience didn't confuse or offend anyone. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, if forcing worked I would have done it! And I wasn't offended, I just wanted to clarify that even if you decide to exclusively breastfeed for 12 months, you won't be doing it every hour unless you want to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Silver- Producing the milk is what burns the calories - You are creating a food that has X number of calories, it has to come from somewhere, that somewhere is you! I was/am heavy to begin with, but I did wind up about 5 lbs. lighter at the end of BFing (and pumping) than I started out. But I was also increasing my activity, so I don't know if BFing was any part of it or not.
    And something else that I haven't seen anyone else mention, but that worked for me to keep chafing/sore nipples at a minimum was to rub a few drops of my milk into them when I was done feeding, and especially pumping. It really seemed to work, I never really used any of the Lansinoh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Silver, 

In theory, EP'ing should have the same benefits weight-loss-wise as nursing.  As I understand it, you need an extra 500 calories/day when producing milk (more if you have multiples), and your body also dips in to your "reserves" as needed which results in weight loss.

That being said, many women don't lose weight until they stop BF'ing.  One reason is that all the energy required to produce milk can make you CRAZY HUNGRY.  I didn't realize how hungry I was and how much I had been eating until I stopped pumping.

I did not lose a single pound from the time I left the hospital even though I was producing milk for two.  Going back to work at my very sedentary job and easy access to vending machine garbage certainly didn't help matters.  And, on top of everything, I have PCOS which can make weight loss under any circumstances difficult. 

So, I'm a poor example, but I would say the number of EP'ers I know/know of (many MOTs choose EP'ing for many reasons) who lost their pregnancy weight is about the same as the BF'ers I know/know of.  And keep in mind that even if it doesn't come off right away, it may end up melting away once you're done if you stay active and stay the heck away from vending machines :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: September Updates:
    [QUOTE]what worked for me to keep chafing/sore nipples at a minimum was to rub a few drops of my milk into them when I was done feeding, and especially pumping. It really seemed to work, I never really used any of the Lansinoh.
    Posted by amy-lynn[/QUOTE]
    Yes, that helped me, too. And air-drying instead of patting dry. Although I didn't really enjoy hanging around with exposed nipples. It doesn't last forever, though. Breast milk is amazing! You can also use it to treat diaper rash  and other skin ailments, and put it in the baby's stuffy nose in lieu of saline.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My friend, whom most of us will want to strangle once I write this, has lost 20 pounds after 1 month postpartum.  She is not breastfeeding.  She is not exercising.  She must have some kind of deal with the devil.  ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Maybe she lost 20 lbs of hair

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I really think the weight-loss thing is mostly luck-of-the-draw, combination of your genetics and activity level. I have EP'ed for a year. I gained about 20lbs total with my pg (I lost about 8 in the first trimester, then regained those and 20 more. I was about 110lb to begin with). I lost weight pretty quickly. I was back in pre-pg jeans less than 2 weeks post-partum. I was not a huge exerciser during pg or after. For me, I have NEVER been hungrier than when I was bf'ing. It was tremendously fun for a while, but I soon got sick of HAVING to snack all the time and not really having energy to seek out healthy snacks. I'm looking forward to ending my pumping (dropping to one/per day now--woohoo) and getting my normal eating habits back on track. That said, I know plenty of other moms for whom BF'ing was not a magic weight-loss solution. It's a great benefit if you can get it, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Just while I am thinking of it, and not to freak anyone out, but...your whole body changes post-pregnancy. Even though I am the same weight as I was pre-pg, my hips are wider, my mid-section is rounder, my b**bs are saggier. It's an adjustment for sure. I've dealt by buying new clothes for my new body and TRYING to maintain perspective and be in awe of my body that nutured, birthed, and fed another human being. I just think it's good to keep in mind that there are LOTS of changes post pregnancy, weight being just one of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I was 15 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight at my 6 wk check-up, but that was mainly because I was breastfeeding and had mild PPD/severe baby blues and couldn't figure out how to eat and take care of my son.  I was back up to my "normal"/pre-pregnancy weight soon after I started back to work and had access to snacks and time to eat them at my desk (unfortunately).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

I'd have to agree that the post-partum weight loss is a luck/genetics/metabolism thing. And I preface this with I know I am lucky but...I was back down to my pre-pregnancy weight by 11 weeks post-partum. I am exclusively breatfeeding/pumping though and I do believe that that has made the HUGE difference. For some reason I also correlate the weight coming off fairly quickly with getting good sleep as DS has slept through the night since the very beginning. I do experience the increased hunger in response to the breastfeeding, but I am by no means eating as much as I did when I was pregnant, and probably not the extra 500 calories or so that people speak of. For the first 6 weeks or so post-partum I could feel the weight melting off of me every day. I correlated it with the pumping (with a good supply) because I have not returned to the gym at all, though I'm looking forward to.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kiwi-thanks for the post pregnancy info, I'll guess I'll have to trade my skinny jeans for mom jeans.

My appt. today went well. Everyone at the office was extremely happy and helpful.  They did use my lmp to find my due date, and said I was 9 1/2 wks (not 8 as I had thought). Yay for being closer to the second tri.  She tried to find the heartbeat, twice actually. After she did an internal exam she thought everything looked good, and found one side to be larger, and tried to find the heartbeat again. She never found it, but was very optimistic and is having me come back in in 2 wks. to try again.
       One thing I did notice was she is very lax about everything, caffeine, using acne products, eating restrictions.  I think I am going to stay on the safe side and not do the things she said are okay.   
    Lastly, I found out that I won't get a u/s until 16-18 weeks unless I do the ERA, which I need to find out if my insurance covers it.   I hope it does, I really don't want to wait NINE more weeks for a u/s!!     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi AJuly

Congrats on your first appt!  I know at 12-13 weeks the NT test ultrasound was not covered by my insurance.. i didn't know when I did it though.. my doctor didn't make it sound optional.  I'm glad I did it anyway, it relieved any fears we had and we got to see the baby for 2 1/2 hours!  (it took a while to get all the right measurements).

I had my 20 week ultrasound today... and IT's a BOY!!!!  Here I was thinking it was a girl all along!  He wasn't modest at all! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I'm getting ridiculously far ahead of myself here, but I have a BF/pumping question. Once you start pumping do you need to do it on a schedule for any reason? I have a rotating schedule at work and am wondering if that will complicate things... I'm a teacher, so it's not like I can reschedule anything either, the kids are there when they're there. TIA!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: September Updates:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting ridiculously far ahead of myself here, but I have a BF/pumping question. Once you start pumping do you need to do it on a schedule for any reason? I have a rotating schedule at work and am wondering if that will complicate things... I'm a teacher, so it's not like I can reschedule anything either, the kids are there when they're there. TIA!
    Posted by Soxgirl07[/QUOTE]
    You'll want to keep it around the same time because otherwise you'll get engorged. I would get nauseated if I didn't pump in a timely manner... but again, I had oversupply. And you want to space out your pumping sessions enough to ensure that your body has time to produce milk again -- if you pump an hour after your last session, you'll get a very small amount.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Sox, I am also a schoolteacher. I tried to stay on a schedule when I returned to work and was pumping. Ideally 1:30pm would have been the optimal time for me to pump at work. But, I wasn't always free that period. So, sometimes I pumped at 12pm, other times at 3pm. You can be somewhat flexible. I did find it best to try and adhere to some kind of schedule, though, to avoid the discomfort of being too full and to make sure I maintained my supply.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

JanBride - Congratulations on your baby boy!!!

Ajuly - Glad to hear your appt went well.  My insurance covered an ultrasound at 10 weeks and the SST (screenings) at 12.  I did call to check about the SST just in case, but the nurse and receptionist both said most of this stuff is covered by most insurance.

Stefani - LOL 90210 day!  I'm sure the swelling is normal, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Silver - I think there are a LOT of factors that go into losing the weight, such as genetics and whether the person has any clue how to eat healthy.  The truth is many people do not!  Anyway, my (anectotal) observations have been that people I know who did not breastfeed, did not lose the baby weight.  Years later and they still have not.  I'm definitely hoping it's true, but I'll be getting on that elliptical just in case... errrr eventually :o)

Kiwi - Good point about body after baby and thanks for sharing.  Even just going from high school to college to post college I noticed so many changes in my body, so it makes sense!  I have gotten back down to high school weight (in the past, not now) but I sure as heck didn't fit into the jeans!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Does anyone else have experience with having an inverted n1pple?  I saw lostgrouse mentioned it.  I have a severely inverted n1pple and worry about BFing successfully.  Someone told me that my insurance may cover a breast pump for this reason, anyone know if this is true? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Jan-Congrats on a boy!! It's exciting to find out, can't wait for that time so I can start the baby's room!  Do you know how much you paid for the ERA since it wasn't covered by ins.?  (if you don't mind me asking!)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My cousin put this up on her FB page today:

"With time, women gain weight because we accumulate so much information and wisdom in our heads that when there is no more room, it distributes out to the rest of our bodies."

That must be what my problem is ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I lost my weight with DD rather fast, I think a couple weeks after I was up only 5lbs...BUT after I stopped nursing I gained another 5, that was hard to get off.

Had appt yesterday and they found the HB with the doppler which was very exciting, with DD they could not find it until week 14.  Everything was good and I go back in 3 weeks for the blood screening....Hope that goes smoothly!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

ajuly, congrats on your appointment! I can attest that 9 1/2 weeks is very early to find the heartbeat with the doppler as my doc tried it last week with no luck at the exact same "age." Looks like we're exactly a week apart (until you have your u/s)!

Jan, congrats on your boy! For a split second that made me almost change my  mind about finding out - lol. But I'm sticking to my guns.

KT, congrats on your heartbeat as well!

I finally  joined the gym last night - all this weight talk! I need to start moving now b/c I know I've already gained too much. I just took a yoga class last night which felt SO good but I was a little sad watching myself in the mirror - I used to look good doing yoga and now I've definitely got a huge gut which just doesn't make the lines look as pretty. :-) Oh well...only going to get bigger!

Sections
Shortcuts