September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Re: September Updates

Pugs, congrats on your little girl.  I know that you were really hoping for a girl, so I'm glad you got your wish! IPW, my intuition was right as well.  I just knew I was having a girl from early on.  I kept having dreams about a little girl.  Everyone else (and I mean everyone, except DH and my mom) was convinced I was having a boy, including our labor nurse in the hospital.  I got told over and over again, "I'm sure it's a boy".  Not sure why everyone thought that, but regardless, we had a girl.  This time around, I'm convinced it's a boy.  No idea why, but that's what I think.  We'll see in 6 weeks or so whether I can go 2 for 2.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

well, I don't know what has come over me but I just told DH that I'm willing to find out what we're having. He's so excited - he was bummed when I adamantly did not want to know. Now all of a sudden I feel like I have to know...and I'm kinda excited about it. :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Silver it's these boards!! How else could you not want to after all the excitement that has been going on!  Just make sure you REALLY want to know, esp. since you didnot want to at the start.  I have heard from people who didn't find out and were v.happy with their decision. My SIL also said to me she wishes she didn't find out with #2, they didn't find out with #1.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Silver, you still have plenty of time.  You may change your mind again.  It just seems like a whole mess of us found out within a week or so what we're all having!

But either way, it's still a surprise whether you find out at 18 weeks or 40, right?  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I know...I think right now I'm just freaked out by that fact that I feel so sure it's a girl - and I'm very attached to the name we picked out for a girl - that I think if it is in fact a boy I might need to prepare myself (and, uh, think of a boy name?). Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled with either - so it isn't a disappointment thing, it is more of a reality check thing.

It is the combination of these boards and my brother finding out what they are having all at one time...it is quite exciting, and I think you're right pugs, it is a surprise either way. I wouldn't mind being able to go shopping for some gender-specific outfits, too. :-)

But, yes, you're right...I still have time to decide.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

You seemed so sure you didn't want to find out, Silver, so you should definitely think about it before you decide.  Also if you still aren't sure by the time of your big ultrasound, you could always ask the tech/doctor to write whether it's a boy or girl down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope and then just open it if you decide you really want to know later on.  However, if you're really attached to the idea of a girl, it might be worth finding out sooner, just so you can re-envision things.  I will add that we didn't find out with DD and I loved finding out at the time of delivery.  We would go that route again if it weren't for all the stuff we need to get rid of if we're having a boy this time.  That's a lot easier to do before you have the baby than after.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooh, I love the envelope idea for someone who isn't 100% sure they want to know before the birth.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My friends did the "envelope" option since dad wanted to know and mom didn't.  The envelope remained sealed for all of about 2 days, when dad looked!  Mom REALLY wanted a girl (already had 2 boys), so had thought it would be easier to find out the gender at birth, as opposed to being told beforehand, for 2 reasons:

1. If she was told at 18 weeks that it was a boy, she was worried that she'd have a very hard time with the news and didn't want her unborn child to feel the effects of her mood (with the knowledge that at the moment of birth, you are just so extraordinarily happy and joyful that she would not care what the gender was), and

2.  If she was told at 18 weeks that it was a girl, she'd have a REALLY hard time actually believing the ultrasound tech/doctors because she so much wanted a girl she would be ultra-paranoid that they would be wrong.

So dad peeked at the envelope, which said "girl" and told mom.  Mom has now been paranoid that the techs were wrong for the past 15 weeks!  We (my friends) of course, are all sure that the techs were right, but she just cannot convince herself.

Silver - in no way am I saying all this to indicate this is how it would be for you!  Just sharing one scenario that I indirectly experienced, and I thought the whole thing was fascinating.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

The only reason I have for not wanting to know is that is really just what I always envisioned I would do. Now being in the position to actually make the choice...I think I can go either way.

I really think there should be a rule about this.You are either required to find out, or you're required not to. I don't like these decisions!

If I'm going to find out, it is going to be at the ultrasound - b/c I want to SEE it. If I have it on an envelope I'll open it in the car and then what was the point. ;-) But I do like the idea for someone with a little self control.

I will definitely give it more thought, I have a little over  6 weeks to figure it out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Originally, my DH wanted to know and I REALLY didn't.  So someone told us about the envelope option, saying then DH could look at it and I could be surprised.  We discounted the idea because I know myself well enough to know that if I was aware DH knew what it was, I, even though I didn't want to know, would torture him mercilessly until he told me, and then I would have been mad that he had.  Obviously, that would have been very unfair.  He ended up being happy that we waited.

It's funny because when we had an ultrasound at 26 weeks (due to placenta previa earlier on), the doctor asked us if we wanted to know the sex.  We said no, we didn't and then we proceeded to have this discussion about finding out vs. not finding out etc.  He said that, in his experience, he would recommend finding out if you had a strong preference either way because you don't want your first reaction at the birth of your baby to be any kind of disappointment, and I guess he's seen it first hand, even if it's just for a split second and is replaced by joy and happiness, quickly thereafter.  It was kind of interesting.  What's funny is that from that ultrasound, I got a picture in which I could have sworn I saw boy parts.  Clearly, I had no idea what I was looking at.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That's a huge part of why I always wanted to find out.  I didn't want to feel strongly one way or the other for 9 months and then be shocked or disappointed at the birth.  But at the ultrasound, I didn't feel disappointed when they said girl even though I thought for sure it was a boy.  Just mildly surprised.

I had some spotting today.  I'm not too worried or freaked out... but I bet if it was earlier in the pregnancy, I would be!  When I went to the bathroom there was some blood in the water and on the paper.  Sorry for the details, but it's so important for us to share with each other!  I was worried because it was actual red blood in the water as opposed to brown blood on the paper.  An hour later there was brown, so then I called the doctor and left work to get checked out. 
    I heard the heartbeat and she said everything looks OK, but scheduled an ultrasound on Friday to check things out and check on my cervix.
    I really could not afford to leave work 3 hours early today - so busy!!!  But clearly I couldn't let that stop me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lilpeanut. Show lilpeanut's posts

I am hoping people won't judge me on this comment. When I had to decide whether or not I wanted to find out the sex of my baby, I decided not to because I felt that if I knew the sex and anything went wrong with the pregnancy at all, it would be really hard on me because I would know that it was a boy or girl and feel even more attatched to him or her, knowing his or her name, etc. But, that all went out the window, because even though I still don't know the sex, I still feel extremely attached to "it".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Silver - that was exactly the reason I wanted to know.  I felt that if it was a girl, I would not have any issues with bonding and inside it was my preference. If it were a boy, I wanted the time to really think about all the great aspects of having a boy and start bonding in that way.    By the way, my husband's preference would have been a boy.  Finding out allowed both of us to really bond in a different more gender specific way.  I would have needed that time probably a little more if it was a boy.  One hates to admit that they may have a preference but I think it is natural for most to feel that way.

Fram - I had bright red blood around 18 weeks.  Being a MD, I thought there was no way in heck that I would not know what it was from.  Well, my ob didn't look (stupidly) and u/s was fine.  It turns out I had a vascular mole that bled and later re-bled again but showed no evidence of bleeding the first time.  Why do I mention this?  Just make sure they take a look.  Sometimes it is something very simple.  I knew the baby was fine because she has always moved around like crazy but I would have been reassured if she had looked and found the cause the first time rather than me discovering it at work the second time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Fram, that must have been a scary sight but glad you seem calm about it! And it means an extra ultrasound - fun! :-)

Hoping for a nice loud heartbeat tonight - think good thoughts for us!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks luck!  It's good to know it could be a variety of things.  She did do an exam yesterday and didn't see anything.  I have my regular 4 week appt on Tuesday, so I may ask if they can do another exam.

Silver - I just hope it doesn't mean I can't take long walks :o)

Peanut - I think that makes sense.  We all have different levels of worry throughout pregnancy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Ha! It probably means you need to start walking MORE!! :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Good news and good news?   Not sure.
    u/s today showed that the placenta has moved but she is probably at least 8 lbs 3 ounces.  I know there is a lot of room for error on that measurement but OMG!  She dates at 39 weeks and I am 36 1/2.mI know that I would have been  a little disappointed if they told me that I had to have a C section but the control factor was appealing to me!   She is super cute though and looked great otherwise.

Thinking good thoughts for GC today!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats pugs!

It's good you got checked fram and I think it is so great you are being so calm about it! 

luck - that is great news about your placenta!  They say the estimates can be so off...my friend was told her baby was about 7 lbs and when she delivered like 4 days later he was 9 something

I'm so impressed by those of you who can wait to find out.  I had no doubt I wanted to know what I was having.  I had no feelings boy or girl but everyone else including DH thought girl and it was boy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Luck - wow, that's so great though!!  for some reason I always feel like the babies in the 8 and 9 lb range are soo cute.. they look so "healthy", granted it scares the crap out of me to have one that size and push it out of me..  I'm extra worried about that too because when I was born I was 9 lbs 14 oz and my husband was 10 lbs 6 oz!!!  OMG!!!!!!  I told my doc yesterday there is no way i'm pushing out a baby either one of our sizes... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

hahaa, Jan, i have the same fears...both me and DH were 10lbs even. Scary!! and 22 1/2 inches long!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Luck - So glad to hear about the placenta!  And I'm in the same boat as you - my doctor is saying 8lbs+. 

Fram - glad they took you right in for an exam, and glad to hear they aren't worried.  We always hear it's so common to spot or even outright bleed, but it's still scary.  It happened to me at 10 weeks and it turned out to be "placental implantation", which I had never heard of.

Hope GC is doing well today!!

Had my 37 week appt and OB said no dilation or dropping yet, but 50% effaced.  Not sure what that means in terms of timeframe, but it was kind of exciting to hear, since last week he just said, "nothing's happening".  LOTS to do this weekend!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Luck - great news!  My doc is estimating now that I will deliver a 8 1/2 - 9 pounder.  Oye!  I don't exactly have "birthing hips," but just hope to make the best of it all :-)

Oh right... GC is hopefully going in today... GOOD LUCK!!

Poppy - good news that "something's happening."  Did you get that info through a cervical check?  Two people I know who recently had it done both said it was so painful.  

Its weird... I was monitored so closely for 3 weeks that I felt like I knew so much. But since they stopped, and my practice doesn't do any cervical checks until week 39, I now feel in the dark about what's happening.  Also had an appt today and "measuring fine."  I did loose a pound (two if you go by my scale at home) so perhaps it really was just lots of extra fluid/swelling because of the ridiculous heat.  And maybe now I've caught up to my measurements!  Although she told me she thinks I'm dropping.  So hard to tell... my belly still seems just everywhere!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I just weighed my boots (3lbs) to make sure that I have a solid defense when I get weighed today. That's normal, right? :-)

I don't want to take them off there b/c they are really hard to get off (I'm actually winded right now from the battle I just had with them), so I figure this way I'm prepared.

Looking forward to hearing from GC, hope everything goes OK today!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sounds completely normal to me, Silver!!  No way in heck I'd let them weigh me with shoes on.  I always have my appts early in the a.m., but yesterday I was there around 4:00.  I so wanted to say, That weigh in does NOT count!  :o)

You reminded me, is anyone else around 18 weeks feeling winded?  It seems so weird to feel winded when I've only gained a few lbs.  The caf is sooo far from where I sit at work and I get winded just walking there.  Maybe it's simply because I've been slacking on working out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Lots of good stuff on here!  I can't believe how many of us are getting so close!

I had my app't today and learned that baby is currently in breech position.  I'm a little more than 33 weeks, so he or she has time to do a somersault, but it means I have seriously consider the possibility that I might need a c-section, which was not part of my daydreams about this baby's birth!  Going for acupuncture next week in hopes of encouraging the flip...and have been talking to the baby all day encouraging him or her to get in the right position! 

Good news is that I get to have another ultrasound to check growth...which I'm looking forward to, since I haven't gotten a good look at this kid since 19 weeks! 

Fingers crossed for GC...and Silver, I love that you weighed your boots as "defense"!