September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Re: September Updates

Luv - You'll probably get a lot of clothing after the baby is born.  It is hard to find gender neutral clothing these days.  

I also had low fluid with my son.  I had NST's for several weeks before I was due.  I ended up being induce 3 days after my due date because my fluid level was a 1.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Luv - We did not find out the gender and did not receive really any clothes when we had our daughter - It was actually nice to get items that we needed rather than clothes -- You'll get lots of clothes once the baby is born.

I had low/normal fluid levels with DD - My measurements went down from one week to another - I think was 37 weeks I measured 35.  They weren't sure if the baby was small or if the fluids were low.  I was sent for an U/S and the levels were found to be normal/low.  I was supposed to take it easy and just drink more fluids.  I would just try and take it easy and rest while you can - Not sure how that helps but that's what I was recommended.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think most people don't register for clothes, or maybe just a few items, but they get plenty anyway!
    If someone throws me a shower, I am going to ask them to make the invitiations look neutral.  Those who know we are having a girl will get girl stuff, but those who aren't sure (like my mother's old friends or whatever) hopefully won't!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounded like she registered for clothes she hoped people would pass over in favor of things she actually wants.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

IPW, still here???  Me too!  I have no expectation of going before Sunday anyway.  You might beat me!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I agree about gender neutral clothing...there's not much out there, and it isn't as simple as green or yellow. A green outfit with ruffles isn't going to look cute on a boy baby.

For that reason, I think we won't get a lot of clothes either (unless I change my mind again), which is fine because as others have said I will be grateful for anything at all - but if we are lucky enough to get the majority of some of the bigger items, it will be wonderful.

Even so, I'm still going to buy things here and there b/c its fun...it isn't like shopping for someone else's baby, so it makes it very exciting/real for me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: September Updates:
    [QUOTE]ajuly, why register for clothes if you don't want any?  I suppose you can return them all and put the money toward things you do want, but what a hassle.  ??
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Sorry probably didn't make it clear, I won't be registering for clothes and I hope people stick to the registery instead of buying cute outfits.  One of my friends had her first baby last year and registered for all the things they really needed, but since people knew it was a girl 95% of the gifts were clothes and she had to go out and buy everything she needed!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I did end up going and buying a few things, mostly in the 0-3 months size, so we'll be ready for those first few weeks at home.  Sleep sacks, sleepers, onesies and t-shirts.  We know we want to try for baby #2 not too long after baby #1, so I'm happy to have plenty of white, green and yellow stuff.  Ducks, turtles and frogs!  I can't wait to meet this baby though, since some of the gender-specific stuff is so darn cute! 

Thanks for the posts on low amniotic fluid.  The radiologist was reassuring that things are okay, but it's nice to hear healthy baby stories from moms who've gone through the same.  Feet are up, water is in hand, and salt intake has already been cut.  Plus or minus 6 weeks until we meet this person...as long as he or she is healthy, I'm willing to deal with anything until then! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Good luck to the ladies in the final stretch! 
    On the topic of clothes, what I noticed with DS - he got a ton of 0-3 mos, 3-6, and 6-9 at my showers, but I actually had to go out and buy newborn sizes b/c I didn't have any at all before he was born, and after he was born, even though he was close to the weight "limit" for NB sizes, he did lose a little weight and was so scrunchy, he actually wore NB sizes for more than I expected, so to survive the cold weather and the multiple messes through the diapers, spit ups, and the getting sprayed everywhere while changing him messes, I actually had to buy a few more things.  I didnt' feel comfortable having him get all tangled up in clothes that were too big and also, didn't want him in anything baggy/gaping b/c it was so cold.  Everyone advised me not to get NB sizes b/c they outgrow them so quickly, but I must say, my pretty average size baby did last in most of his NB sizes for at least 2 mos.  Now 2 mos doesn't seem that long, but if you are changing outfits a few times a day and don't want to do laundry even more than you already have to, you do need some sort of supply of NB clothes.  
    ETA:  He lasted two mos in NB sizes of Carters, Children's Place, GAP, and a few others.  NB sizes in at least two brands out there, Gerber and Ralph Lauren/Polo (people gave us, I didn't buy Polo for him) were pretty much too small within a week or two.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hi ladies.  i'm still here, just have been lazy about posting b/c i'm boring - but i do love reading your updates.  congrats, GC!  luv, i had lo-normal levels with the boy and high-normal and mild-poly levels with the girl around 27-28-29-30 weeks.  last they checked boy was back to normal and girl was hi-normal.  i wouldn't worry too much about it - you're still in the NORMAL range and every baby is different.  (i was freaked out though for a while so i understand where you're coming from, believe me!)  when i found out my fluid levels were a little off i stopped doing any physical activity i didn't have to do.  not sure if that had any effect, but it made me feel better, like at least i was doing everything i could.  now i'm the size of a hippo, though - puffy all over - gross!  :)  good luck to all of you with close due dates, and those of you just finding out genders and stuff too - very exciting!  i'm going to be scheduled for a c in late october, but we'll see if i make it 'til then.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

MM--my daughter was in NB sizes for about 2 weeks or so.  I totally agree that you should pick up a pack of gerber NB onesies just to keep them warm from the get-go!  My daughter was 7lbs 14oz at birth, dropped down to 7lbs 4oz by discharge and those NB onesies really just fit well at the beginning.  

People will just buy you clothes for your shower no matter what.  You can't avoid it.  Usually too, they will either be blue or pink.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Sorry Lostgrouse - I forgot to invite you for labor-inducing pizza! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ajuly, that makes sense, thanks!  I was too curious not to ask. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Thats okay luckinlife, I have a lot to do at work this week!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I had an appt with the OB today and she kind of hit me with a bunch of information and then rushed out the door.  Stressed me out!!  It was like she had one foot out the door and I was holding her back so I could ask questions.

She said I shouldn't fly after 28 weeks.  What did your OBs tell you?  28 sounds early to me.  I really wanted to do something for my 30th birthday after the first of the year (when vaca time gets renewed), but I'll be 33 weeks by then :o(

I got a flu shot today.  So far so good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think you are supposed to have a doctor's note to fly after 34 or 36 weeks, can't remember which, probably the latter, because once you are "full-term" you really could have the baby at any time. I'm pretty sure 28 weeks is really early. But you might want to keep any travel plans for that late in the game pretty fluid - you might feel great, you might not want to get up off the couch unless the room was on fire.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I know most cruise lines won't even let you on the boat after 24 or 27 weeks, doctor's note or not...they don't want to deal with the liability in case you go into early labor. 

Airlines have similar criteria, but I think they vary from airline to airline and depend on the length of your flight (ie, a 1 hour shuttle from Boston to DC might be 34 weeks, but a transatlantic 5-8 hour flight might be 28 weeks).  Your doc sounds like he/she is on the conservative side. 

I will say that as someone who is now 34 weeks, the thought of being tied to my seat in a plane for any extended amount of time is not appealing.  It's just getting hard to be comfortable in any single position for more than about 20 minutes for me lately!  Also, symptoms like swelling can be exacerbated by flying, so if that's been an issue, it's something else to think about. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I agree with Luv, I think it varies by Dr and by company.  My SIL flew at 36 weeks but had a dr's note.  I had a lot of drama throughout my pregnancy with DD and would not have wanted to travel.  I also agree that you may not be super comfortable in the mid 30 weeks and may not want to travel.  Maybe you could do a weekend away somewhere drive-able instead.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Whether you are allowed to fly depends on the airline.  Check TSA and the individual airline's website; they all have the info posted.  You will likely need a dr's note after a certain point.  Most airlines are not going to ask if you are pg or how far along you are [b/c of fears about discrimination lawsuits], so if you want to take the chance, that's up to you.  If you need to travel for work, you can probably hide your pg relatively easily or fib about how far along you are.  But bear in mind that an airplane is probably one of the dirtiest and most unsafe places to give birth. 

Belated congrats to everyone who has given birth this month. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for the input ladies!  You make valid points and these are definitely things I would have considered before booking anything.  I was just surprised when she said 28 weeks because I had thought it was more like 34.  Just want to get a feel for if I even have a choice to go on a trip, if I feel up to it and an airline will let me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Fra- i was wondering the same thing. DH and I want to go some place warm this winter either during my Dec or Feb vacation (i'm a teacher). Dec I'll be 23-24 wks, and Feb well, I'll be at 33ish...so I am guessing we should try to travel during Xmas...but tickets will be so expensive!! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

yeah, i turned down a wedding since I would be 27 1/2 weeks then...  it's not recommended and I didn't want to be uncomfortable or that far from my doctor.. I may have been ok but he advised again since it was a quick weekend thing and I'd be on a plane twice in 3 days..  it's my first and i don't know, I just chickened out for the most part. 

I know my cousin's wife had her 2nd baby 9 weeks early right after a trip and had no complications or anything before and when she was asking why the only thing they could say was they think the air pressure induced her labor..  that's probably what scared me.. even though i'd be much earlier than her. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Same problem here, I am turning 30 on 12/30 and really wanted to go home (Ohio) for the occasion...and even though pregnancy-wise I think it would be OK (like 25 weeks?) but it is so dang expensive around the holidays. :-(

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Who says you have to celebrate your birthday on the day?  Why not find out when prices do the holiday jump and book a birthday trip before that?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You guys should really check out Travelocity and the like. I just bought tix to come home to Boston from DC for Christmas and the round trip fare [including all taxes but not baggage fees] for 2 people was $298.00.Seriously.  We are traveling on 12/24 out of Reagan [which is usually the most expensive of the 3 airports in the DC area] and coming back the following Tues.   We have prime mid-AM flight times too.  They are running some seriously phenomenol rates right now. 

Yeah, it's US Air, but we are flying direct so there shouldn't be a problem.