September Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: September Updates

PS - above, LLL meand La Leche League in my post, not to be confused with fellow poster here that we abbreviate to LLLE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm right smack in the middle of all these breast feeding issues right now. It is a little stressful, but we are getting through it.

FWIW, I just have a couple of things to add.

- Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA provides and pays for a breast pump. I didn't buy one in advance, and just asked my lactation consultant about it. She ordered a Medela Pump n' Style for me, and it arrived the day I came home from the hospital - no cost to us!

- I really REALLY recommend going to the hospital or the practice, or any breast feeding support group. It's really nice to have the LC these to help you with whatever problems you are having each week, get hands on or visual advice from other moms and just be in an environment that's very focused on feeding. Plus, I'm starting to make Mommy friends.

I went to a meeting today all stressed out about DD not getting enough food, and feeling guilty because every time she cried and wasn't in need of a burp or a change, I offered her the breast and was having visions of a lifetime of comfort eating ahead of her. My LC was so reassuring and positive that I was on the right path - plus DD gained 7 oz. this week!

- An um, you will need a stool softener, no matter how much water you manage to drink.  :(

Lemon Melon - the neh video is amazing!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: September Updates:
    [QUOTE] Lemon Melon - the neh video is amazing!
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    The others in the series are amazing too! It saved me a lot of trouble because before we watched the videos, every time the baby fussed my husband would say, "She's hungry" and hand her to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Thanks for all the bfing info!!  Especially for sharing your story MM.

Eva my situation sounds a lot like yours. I called the Peabody office of PHCA even though I go to the Melrose office and and LC called me back and saw me right away, so maybe try calling there if you haven't.  The LC who called me was great, she called yesterday to check on me after our appt. last Friday.  When I went though of course DS latched on and ate no problem!! I was actually going to call her again to see if she could help with the fits. 

Eva I was also told that Melrose Wakefield has some good groups that are free...I was going to look into them.

Latching actually isn't my issue it is that DS has full on fits when trying to BF him.  He would scream and cry and swing his arms around often hitting himself in the head.  Today has been the best day with the BFing but I think part of that is that he has finally gained beyond his birth weight.  Originally he lost almost a pound in a short period of time and I was stressed about that.  (He was born at 7lbs 6oz left hospital at 6/12 and then the very next day at the pedi he was down to 6/9 so they told me to supplement, he is now 7/7 after our pedi visit today).

So for me I was pumping to avoid supplementing formula but like you Eva most of the time I get an ounce, sometimes 2 but not more which also concerned me.  When I only got an ounce or less I supplemented the formula.  Today is the first day I have only bf'd DS and I am hoping it continues.  He doesn't seem to have trouble going between bottle and breast but I also find that he likes to s*ck on pretty much anything. 

I also seem to have a lazy baby who sleeps a lot and the fits are worse when I wake him to feed which I was doing because of his weight loss.  To wake or not to wake I still don't know!

I hope I didn't ransack this thread...I thought about how I should have probably started a separate thread about BFing so I hope this isn't scaring the ladies who haven't gotten to this point yet.  I have to say even with the struggles bfing is the coolest thing I have done with DS so far.  It is so cool to hold him and watch him as he eats and knowing that I am providing that for him!  I also think it is important to do what is best for you and your bean whether it be bfing or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Oh and Fram yes that is the book but there is a new 2010 version that I believe is red.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] Latching actually isn't my issue it is that DS has full on fits when trying to BF him.  He would scream and cry and swing his arms around often hitting himself in the head.
    Posted by LiveLoveLearnEnjoy[/QUOTE]

LLLE -- could he have reflux? My daughter did the same thing and was a total bear until we put her on prevecid. I also had oversupply, so I'd basically be waterboarding her while she vomited. Nice. I ended up getting help with positioning and investing in a Moby wrap. That helped, but it was really the previcid  that saved us. The ped said that the thing to watch for was constant feeding, screaming at the breast, and  -- I'm not sure how to describe it, but making yucky faces, like she was trying to spit. Kind of thrusting her tongue out -- just like you would if you had vomit mouth. I used to have to nurse on the exercise ball to calm her down because she'd get upset knowing what was coming.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]how long did it take for you all to stop producing milk once you stopped BFing?
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    I'll let you know. We weaned in early July and I've still got what it takes. I would have made a killer wet nurse.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Lemon, that made me chuckle.  It reminded me of a really nice woman in the BF support group I used to go to.  There were people in the group struggling with low supply but also people with very abundant supplies having struggles with their LOs gagging and pulling off due to over supply.  This one woman had us all in absolute awe of her b/c she had to buy extra medela bottles b/c she literally had to change bottles mid pumping b/c the bottles were overflowing.  Those of us squeezing out an ounce were in total awe of this concept!  She eventually bought a seperate deep freezer and also looked into donating her milk.  She had a great sense of humor and handled it really well, but it did help to see that people struggle on both sides over the over/under supply fence. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for sharing your story MM!!  It's always good to hear about possible scenarios.  Good luck this time.

A couple of you mentioned you or a friend never giving LO a bottle for many months... Does that mean you were/she was home?  I assume if someone went back to work the baby would have to take bottles throughout the day.
    Lemon what did you mean by "I pumped diligently for 12 months and my daughter never took a bottle."?
    Just trying to take in all of this copious BF information, so I know what to expect... even though it seems like a million years away :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Going to my 1st appt. today! I am actually a little nervous, I don't like going to the dr! Also, I don't like getting blood drawn either.  DH said, "I'm really excited, is that normal??" Which I responded, yes, but you realize we are not going to learn anything today! No u/s or anything.  I just hope I like my midwife.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Sorry I don't have time to read everything here, but I want to point out a couple things and sorry if they've been said or I've said them in the past but here goes with regard to BF:

1.  South Shore Hospital has a free lactation clinic M-F from 1-2 for anyone nursing.  You don't have to have delivered there.  It's run by LCs and is totally free.

2.  I BF'd DD until she was 20 months old and she somewhat weaned herself when I got pregnant with DS.  

3.  My job entails travelling to a million different clients and it was really hard to find a place sometimes to pump, but if that's what you really want to do, you'll make it happen.  Get a babe au lait cover and a car charger adapter for your pump and you're good to go anywhere.  

4.  I had to pump at the hospital b/c of  an inverted n1pple.  I ended up with total oversupply the entire time and donated over 5 gallons to a milk bank.  I think that if you start to pump early you might end up with the same problem.  While it's not as bad as under supply, it still causes some issues.  I would rather have the oversupply issue.

5.  DD had no issues with n1pple confusion.  She took a pacifier right away and took to bottles right away.  We stopped for 2 weeks or so and then regularly gave her a bottle around 4 weeks old (once a day generally).  She had no issues going back and forth.

6.  All babies are different.  I hope that all of you who want to BF have continued success with it!

Okay, back to my really long 11-12 hour days and hoping that the baby comes sooner than 2.5 weeks so I can relax.  HA!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Lemon what did you mean by "I pumped diligently for 12 months and my daughter never took a bottle."
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

She refused the bottle. It was really, really upsetting at the time. She'd go on an all-day hunger strike and then when I came home she'd want to nurse pretty much until I left again the next morning. It's called reverse cycling, and it's not uncommon, which is why you want to introduce a bottle on a consistent basis before you go back to work.

When she was old enough for rice cereal we were able to mix it with breast milk and life got easier then (although it's not a perfect solution -- I had wanted to keep her on breast milk exclusively for six months and that just wasn't possible; also, since breast milk breaks down carbs the rice cereal turned into a runny mess pretty fast, which made it difficult to get into her with a spoon).

I've heard of people using a straw or a cup to get milk into the baby, but for some reason that didn't work for my husband or our sitter. I'm not sure why -- I didn't want to micromanage or make them feel bad. I know they tried their best. Once when I came home my husband was bouncing on the big ball and wearing our daughter in the moby wrap, and he had this crazy b00b-shaped bottle (http://www.littlewhiz.com/pd_adiri_breastbottle_nurser.cfm) in his armpit, trying to trick her into taking it. It was a real challenge to his manhood, and it didn't fool her anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Lemon, that made me chuckle.  It reminded me of a really nice woman in the BF support group I used to go to.  There were people in the group struggling with low supply but also people with very abundant supplies having struggles with their LOs gagging and pulling off due to over supply.  This one woman had us all in absolute awe of her b/c she had to buy extra medela bottles b/c she literally had to change bottles mid pumping b/c the bottles were overflowing.  Those of us squeezing out an ounce were in total awe of this concept!  She eventually bought a seperate deep freezer and also looked into donating her milk.  She had a great sense of humor and handled it really well, but it did help to see that people struggle on both sides over the over/under supply fence. 
    Posted by MM379[/QUOTE]

Dude, it was nasty. We had to throw out our livingroom chair because I soaked it, and it was often hard to hold the baby because I'd soak her and my arm. But it didn't last forever. I eventually found kellymom and got some great advice on managing oversupply. I wish I'd found them earlier. They're crazy over there, straight-up 100% crazy. But they know their lactation.

I remember sobbing in the support group because nursing was such torture for me and my daughter, we'd never make it. I never imagined we'd get so good at it that she'd turn into a boobist and refuse all substitutes, and I certainly never thought we'd go for 19 months and be sad to stop.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Good luck today, ajuly!  Even though you don't get a u/s or really learn anything, the first appointment is still a big deal!  It feels so much more real afterwards.  Just make sure you and DH are prepared for a TON of questions about your medical histories.  Also, I hate getting blood drawn too, but you'll get used to it, trust me!  :)

Also, re: the BFing topic, I'm sure I can speak for some of the other ladies that are not quite there yet that all of your stories are SO helpful.  I'm not afraid of giving birth, not afraid of being a mother, but I'm terrified of BFing!  I think it's because I just don't know much about it, and everything I do know is simply medical info that I've read online.  Hearing real stories from real women about all the benefits and the struggles of BFing is so great! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think it really helps to watch other women breastfeed and ask them questions. Two of my close friends had babies right before me, and they let me get up close and personal and showed me different holds and how to squash the breast down into a flat point and stuff it into the baby's mouth (you have to be forceful at the beginning, which feels very strange to a new mom), and they let me hold their babies to get a feel for different positions. I also got a lot of great advice and help from my sister, who was unable to nurse her first but had no problems with her second two (apparently that's quite common -- the LCs said that you build breast tissue while nursing, so a lot of the pain and supply problems women have with a first baby don't come up with subsequent ones). And of course the support groups are great. I only have experience with the ones through Mt Auburn, but they weren't like I expected -- it was more like a social thing, with snacks and comfy furniture.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

As far as when my milk dried up after quitting BF, it didn't.  I weaned in February, and still have milk now (thought I think now that I'm pregnant again, it may have dried up a bit, I'm not sure).  I think that depends on the woman, how long you nursed, etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Oh, and good luck at your appointment Ajuly.  I hope it goes well and you like your midwife.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Going to my 1st appt. today! I am actually a little nervous, I don't like going to the dr! Also, I don't like getting blood drawn either.  DH said, "I'm really excited, is that normal??" Which I responded, yes, but you realize we are not going to learn anything today! No u/s or anything.  I just hope I like my midwife.  
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]
    You do kind of learn stuff -- I remember in those early days they told me my "levels." I can't remember now what they represented, but I do remember being SUPER excited and telling my husband that I was 50% more pregnant than I'd been at the last test. And they talk to you about what your baby is doing on the inside, and about what will happen. It's like the lead-up to Christmas but BETTER.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Have a great appt, aJuly!  FWIW, the only times I've ever had blood drawn while pregnant were at the initial blood draw (I won't mention how many vials they took...) and for my GD test.  That was it. 

I agree that the BF posts are very helpful.  Pugs - what you said made me smile because it made me realize how my fears have changed throughout pregnancy... I was really not afraid of labor and delivery... until now, at 36 weeks!  Now I keep saying to my girlfriends, "Just tell me I can do it..."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

good luck ajuly!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thanks to EVERYONE for posting their BF stories - this has been so helpful (we should change the name of the post to "September Updates - and some really amazing BF advice!).  The variety of stories really does show that there isn't only one way for everyone.  I just want so badly to not be stressed and frustrated those first few weeks, because I don't want my little one picking up on that.  So we'll just do our best and seek help where we can, but make decisions that work best for us as we go!

Doctor's appt yesterday, nothing out of the ordinary except she says "you are now full term, so we wouldn't stop labor!"  Yahoo!  Didn't think I'd actually get here!  This hotel is closing soon... so little one, use up the mini bar items and enjoy the heavenly bed as check-out time is approaching!!!

Ajuly - good luck today...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

wow, IPW! full term!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Ajuly - good luck! 
    Fram - my friend in question who never used a bottle the first 12 mos did not work until baby was over a year.  Baby refused bottle and based on my friend's parenting philosophy, she felt if she had no where to be and she wanted her job to be full time SAHM for those first 12 mos, she'd just make it work that baby would never have to be forced to have a bottle and she'd always be there to BF.  This obviously wouldn't work for everyone and to be honest, isn't the norm in my circle for people who did BF for the longterm (most pumped for bottles or did a formula/BMilk mix).  The baby of this friend did eventually do cereal mixed with Bmilk and did eventually take it from a sippy cup later in those 12 mos.  Did my friend get a few raised eyebrows from folks (unfairly), judging her for being with her DD 24/7 and no one else being able to watch her for more than an hour or so stretch?  yes, she did.  Does she have a happy, healthy, toddler who is well adjusted in FT daycare now?  yes to that, too.  I think what helps is a really supportive group of friends where no one is overly pushy about their own philosophies - I mean I basically had to denounce BFing when I stopped to help myself get through the decision and my friend was on the other end of the spectrum, having to defend oersonal sacrifices to BF.  Luckily, we all supported each other no matter what, understanding we each have our own rights to our own parenting philosophies and choices and we've always felt like we can go to one another for support.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I haven't been following this thread thoroughly or consistently, so I apologize if it's already been discussed, but just want to mention that exclusive pumping is also an option for those of you for whom BF'ing just doesn't work out.

As most of you know, I have twins.  I REALLY wanted to BF them, but they were born at 37.5 weeks via C-section and had some trouble latching, and I was having supply problems even though I started pumping in the hospital and worked with an LC in the hospital.  I was mostly on my own once we took the babies home (they came home with me when I was discharged).  DH was home for two days and then had to go back to work.  My mother, who only lives 15 minutes away, was all kinds of nutty and not very helpful at first.  So, I was at home, alone, recovering from a C-section, with two babies.  The "plan" I had made with the LC was to nurse each of them (separately b/c tandem nursing takes some practice and coordination) for 15 minutes, pump (with a rented hospital-grade pump) for 15 minutes, and then give them each a bottle of pumped milk and/or formula.  Of course, after that there were diaper changes, I had to eat at some point, and I was only getting about 2 hour stretches of sleep at a time.  We came home from the hospital on a Sunday, DH went back to work on Wednesday, and for the next week and a half I really tried to make it work, but it just wasn't.  On Saturday, just about 2 weeks after we came home, we went to see an LC.  She was great and got both the babies to latch and nurse and it was wonderful.  I really felt like I could do it and left there with a boost of optimism that I really needed.  Then, we got home, and the next 24 hours were miserable.  I couldn't get them to latch, I was still exhausted, and now I felt even more incompetent than I had.  Perhaps if I had had more support and resources available things would have turned out differently, but I didn't.  I decided that a major part of BF'ing was supposed to be about bonding and closeness and none of us were getting that.  I was a stressed-out wreck, and the whole situation was causing my mental health and self-image to deteriorate quickly.  So, I made the decision to stop nursing but continue pumping (and supplement with formula if needed).  As soon as I did that a HUGE weight was lifted off of me.  I could pump while the babies slept and actually enjoy feeding them and spend more time cuddling them while they were awake.  Other people could feed them while I got some sleep.  And I could also feel good about providing breast milk to them.  I pumped for 10 months.  During that time, I continued to have supply problems even though I was taking supplements to boost supply and pumping on a regular schedule.  Throughout that time, I averaged being able to provide about 80% of their food needs with breast milk, and the rest of it was formula.  It usually worked out to one formula bottle/day.

My advice is to muster all the resources you can in order to make BF'ing successful (if you're planning to BF).  If it still doesn't work out for you, but you still want your baby to have breastmilk, I didn't think pumping was all that bad.  If nothing else, when I went back to work, it was 20 - 30 minutes, 3 times a day, during which I could sit back, relax, and just take some time for me.  There are downsides, too, but those are easily manageable.  It requires more planning than if you're nursing.  You may have to bring the pump with you and pump in the car on occasion.  If you're going out for the evening, you have to pump right before you leave and plan to be home (or bring the pump with you) in time for the next pump.  I got a car adapter, and if I was planning to be out for more than a few hours, I'd bring the pump with us, and pump in the car.  Overall, though, I found it to be very do-able, and it was definitely the best option for me.

Anyway, I'm just throwing that out there as something to consider if you ever get to that point.  For those of you intending to BF, I hope it works for you and hope that you don't have to consider other options and encourage you to find resources now so that you have them in place when the time comes if you need them.  If it doesn't work out, though, I highly recommend trying the exclusive pumping out as an option.  It can work if you have the mindset to do it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE] Did my friend get a few raised eyebrows from folks (unfairly), judging her for being with her DD 24/7 and no one else being able to watch her for more than an hour or so stretch?  yes, she did.
    Posted by MM379[/QUOTE]
    This sounds more like attachment parenting than the result of the baby refusing the bottle -- only newborns need to nurse every two hours.

As for forcing the baby to take a bottle, it's just not possible. Trust me, I tried.