South Shore or Jordan Hospital

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

South Shore or Jordan Hospital

Hello All,
      I recently moved to the South Shore and I am wondering if you have opinions on what hospital I should choose.  I am in Marshfield so it's about the same distance to both.  Any Suggestions?

thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc428. Show jc428's posts

Re: South Shore or Jordan Hospital

I can only speak for South Shore Hospital but overall we had a very good experience there.  With our first child (a daughter) 9 years ago we were a bit overwhelmed and let the doctor and nurses take more of the lead.  When I had my son 5 years ago, we used a midwife and had a birth plan and everything went smoothly.  My only complaint (and this may be true everywhere) is that a couple of the nurses were a bit "aggressive" in their bedside manner.  With my daughter, I remember a nurse coming in @ 10 PM to have me try and breastfeed. She had the attitude of "I'm not leaving here until you get this right"--and this was after I had been awake for nearly 24 hours and working on breastfeeding all day! With my son, I had asked beforehand if it was necessary for me to have an IV in my hand during labor and my midwife assured me it was not.  When we arrived @ hospital and were waiting for our midwife, the nurse told me "I'm going to put in the IV because it's what we do here" despite our birth plan stating we did not want it!  The quality of care, communication, services, etc. were all excellent.  I wish you the best of luck! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I can only speak to SSH as well, I had DD there over two years ago and will have DS there in July.  We were very pleased with everything.  I agree with jc that the nurses are pretty aggressive but I dont necessarily think that is a bad thing becusae you have to leave with that baby in just a few days and they want you to have they best information they can give you.  I remember one nurses litterfly scolding DH about diaper changing and I dont think he would have been as comfortable at first unless that nurse forced him to change her quite a few times and they all were meconium so he got the worst of it.  I will say the nurses in the delivery room were the BEST!!!!  I loved each of the, we has 3.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I just had my second delivery at SSH.  I only have good things to say.  First time, got induced, and labor and delivery staff was awesome.  Ended up with an emergency c-section and DS ended up briefly in the NICU.  I would recommend SSH b/c of the NICU - I don't believe Jordan has the same level of NICU capabilities.  My son only needed to be there a bit, but knowing that they had that level care available if needed was reassuring. 
    My second was supposed to be a planned section there but my water broke early.  Again, the l&d team was AMAZING.  My stay on maternity was great - everyone was super attentive but not overbearing.  The food and nourishment center are always really yummy :)  It was pretty empty for most of my stay, so we got lots of time to have questions answered when needed, but I didn't feel they were too aggressive. 
    My only one issue with SSH is the nursing/lactation tug of war.  My first time, I felt like I got really mixed messages between the nurses and the LCs about breastfeeding and found myself really tearful trying to figure out whose advice to follow while dealing with all my hormones.  This time, I went in with my own game plan of I will supplement if need be and not feel bad about it - as long as I made my wishes known and asserted myself, everyone was pretty respectful and the nurses and LCs were all extremely helpful.  In fact, the nurse that I had the toughest time with my first stay ended up being my favorite this time!  She got me pumping right away since I couldn't see a LC until later in the day and it ended up being the best decision for getting my supply going.  I realized that they hate seeing new moms and babies struggling and upset and just want to help, its just they and the LCs have different ways of helping.  
    I would recommend SSH 100%.  The free daily breastfeeding support group is an AMAZING resource.  Even if you don't deliver there, you can take advantage of it.  
    Good luck making this decision!   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I highly recommend South Shore. My experience with Jordan was in the ER with my husband and unless I was actually in danger of actual dying before I could make it to SSH, I would never go back there.

I've delivered all three of my children at SSH (DD who is 2.5 and DS & DD who are 5.5 months).  I had a wonderful experience both times.  I found that with the nurses if I was firm in what I wanted/needed ("I would like more pain meds and while you're here why don't you do my vitals signs for this shift") things were better.  The nursery staff was great too ("It's 1 am, I would like you to keep the babies until 6 am.  If they are hungry please give them a bottle." Of course I felt I needed the sleep/recovery from my c-section more than working on nursing.  It is better if you are breastfeeding to feed on demand).

Also, SSH has the best NICU outside of Boston and has doctors from Children's Hospital in Boston on site 24 hours a day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbracer39. Show tbracer39's posts

I had my boys at SSH (they are 6 and 4) and liked it as well!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyce6. Show joyce6's posts

I had two babies at Jordan Hospital within the past 4 years. They too were great. My 2nd pregnancy was full of complications and trips to the birth place to do testing and they certainly know what they are doing. 1st delivery my OBGYN was the doctor and second I used a midwife and nurse only. Although Jordan does not have the NICU that SSH offers I never felt uneasy about it. I have a friend who delivered 2 c-sections there (one premie at 35 weeks and one at 38 induced) and she loved it too. 

Jordan also has great while pregnant programs (like exercise/nutrition, lamaze, daddy boot camp) and after delivery support groups (breastfeeding, baby massage, new parent support groups). Susan West from Jordan Hospital is a great person to talk to about it.

My advice is to take a tour of each unit and decide who YOU feel most comfortable with, after all it is all about you and your baby to be. You may also want to consider who your OBGYN is affiliated with. I hope that helps, they both have pretty useful websites as well. 

All the best to you and your new baby! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I can only speak to SSH too, but I drove 45 minutes with both of my pregnancies to deliver there.  I love it there.  They have the largest maternity ward outside of Boston and they know what they're doing.  

DZ, we were probably there at the same time!  DS is about 5.5 months old now too.  When I was walking the halls in the maternity wing I saw a few twins on the door!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Lostgrouse - I was amazed at how many twins were born at the same time as mine.  They were born 10/2 and there were at least 2 other set I saw on doors as I was walking around too.  Mine were jumbo sized at 8lbs 10oz and 8lbs 2 oz so every nurse knew who I/they were. 

Savvy- As an aside, you don't have to use either hosplital.  My SIL lives in Marshfield and delivered at MGH.  It all depends on where your OB practices.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aidansmama. Show aidansmama's posts

LOVED SSH!  Everytime I drive by I think I can't wait to go back there for baby 2!  The L&D team was outstanding - I thought I would be so nervous but they made me so comfortable and confident.  The maternity nurses in recovery were fabulous.  They were so accomodating and supporitive, esp. our morning nurse, Barbara.  I wanted to take her home with me and literally shed tears upon leaving!  They asked me if I way okay with having an IV, and didn't push it on me if I didn't want it.  The only complaint - my husbands pull-out sleeper chair was a total liver poker - he had a tough few nights sleep, but I felt like I was at a very lovely hotel!  I found the assistance from the lactation consultants priceless. Hilary and Linda were wonderful and and had so much help to offer.  I've gone to them twice since my son was born for help.  My son is 6 months now and I've been breastfeeding  exclusively with their help. 

Sections
Shortcuts