Things I wish someone had warned me about...!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Things I wish someone had warned me about...!

These boards and friends have been an invaluable source of information thus far in this process, but I was thinking this morning I wish there were a few things people had warned me about...

* The gas, my God, I swear some nights my DH wonders why he ever married me!
    * The colostrum leakage... when I am only 5.5 months pregnant

I'm sure there are more things, and no doubt many of you have some too!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Things I wish someone had warned me about...!

I remember being really surprised by cervical pain in the late third trimester. It felt like a knife.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Strong sense of smell - I mean - STRONG. Like, open the refrigerator door and vomit from all the different food smells.

Insomnia. (Although it made it easier for me to deal with a newborn because I actually got more sleep than before the baby was born)

A lack of consideration from people (even those who know you personally) that will think nothing of taking the last seat somewhere leaving you standing at 8+ months pregnant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I wish someone had told me just how hard and miserable the first trimester would be. I remember yelling at my mother "You lied to me! I've been sold a false set of goods here and I'm stuck with it!" I really felt I had been tricked into parenthood by other women and I was very angry. And that's after 3 years of infertility!

I was sick, nervous and overwhelmed with terror - about life after baby, about the pregnancy, about the healthy and safety of the baby. I just found the 1st trimester very, very difficult - it was not the shot of joy I expected it to be.

That said, once I stopped throwing up and the belly started to show it was like the world got brighter and more wonderful and I could focus on the simple joys and everything became more real and beautiful. Even now six months later - I really miss that feeling of being visably pregnant and having a beautiful big belly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

My belly button never popped out.  For the first seven months of pregnancy I had two stomachs and just looked oddly fat, not pregnant.  The fat one above my belly button was the fat getting smooshed up over my waist band and then the lower part of my stomach was the pregnant part that was pushing the fat up.  But my belly button kept them forever separated so in my prego photos from the side, I have a fat top belly and a fat lower belly.

I wanted so much to look like those cute pregnant ladies with the round stomachs and it took until well into the seventh month.

When I was on an international flight at 6 months, I asked the rude young 20-something in front of me to keep her seat upright while we were eating because I was pregnant and the tray would stick into my belly.  She looked at me like "whatever, you're fat not pregnant.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I didn't know that my hips would ache so badly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Tons of vaginal discharge (no it's not amniotic fluid leaking), round ligament pain (so sharp!), being out of breath and bleeding nipples for the first 3-4 days postpartum before your milk comes in.  And I wish I had gotten APNO sooner for the nipples.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Sarah- I had the same thing. i love your description of it though!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I wish I had known how little sleep and recovery time you get in the hospital. Just as I might be dozing off, the nurses would come in for an "inspection". Argh. By the time they were done, it was back to trying to nurse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Things I wish someone had warned me about...!:
    [QUOTE]I wish I had known how little sleep and recovery time you get in the hospital. Just as I might be dozing off, the nurses would come in for an "inspection". Argh. By the time they were done, it was back to trying to nurse.
    Posted by kiwigal[/QUOTE]

That might be something to discuss ahead of time with the hospital -- what their policy is and can you waive the visits. Because we were pretty much left alone. We actually started to feel kind of weird about it, like we were guests in a hotel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

first time (vag. deliv) this was the case for me, but oddly, 2nd time (C sect) it was not... cutbacks maybe :)  Whatever, I was glad!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Lemon, I second the achy hips thing...I had trouble even rolling over in bed sometimes because my hips hurt so badly.  Also groin pain; I didn't expect that either.

The most unexpected thing for me during pregnancy, however, was how much of an emotional rollercoaster it can be.  I always heard that you can be emotional, sensitive, etc., but I actually felt depressed and angry a lot during my pregnancy, and I could never really figure out exactly why.  Looking back I wish I talked to someone about it, because it probably would have made my whole experience easier.  But the good thing is, the second I saw my DD, all the bad feelings went away.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

oh, the colostrom! Mine came in at 5.5 months too and there was so much! 
    And the increase in body hair.  I know it's probably not a common symptom, but I was like a werewolf, seriously.  My "happy trail" was like a "happy blanket" haha.  I had that cute rounded belly Sarah was longing for, but covered by a pelt of hair!  Fortunately, it all fell out after the baby. 

I do think a lot of times part of the reason you don't hear about some symptoms ahead of time is there is a such a wide range of possiblities and so many people have such diverse symptoms.  There were two other women at work in my department pregnant when I was, with due dates within a month of mine, and there were a lot of things each one of us experienced that the other two did not. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JACON. Show JACON's posts

Funny that you talk about different symptoms, Lissafro, b/c I had the opposite - the hair on my legs while I was pg and bfing seemed to almost stop growing. It was awesome. Sorry to say I don't think this is the norm, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

The stupid comments I got from people when I ran a 5k at 37 weeks!

The coffee at the hospital was also not the greatest.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]The stupid comments I got from people when I ran a 5k at 37 weeks! 
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I think you could have expected that, though.

I biked to work through my entire pregnancy and I definitely expected more comments than I actually got. Two weeks before I gave birth, one of my bosses did say that he'd be more comfortable if I stopped. But I think people on the street just thought I was fat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Yeah, I did expect it, but people still seem to think that pregnant women should sit at home and do nothing.  I biked a couple miles to see my friend in a triathlon when I was 38 weeks along with my daughter.  People asked me if I was competing.  That was pretty funny.

Biking was a different animal alltogether!  I don't know how you kept yourself upright!  I was totally not balanced.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

That is one thing I think  was actually prepared for, the remarks from random people about how I shouldn't be working out.  Sure, I'm not going as hard core as I did before I was pregnant, but like I tell them, my OB said it is fine, as long as I feel good and stay hydrated, then the baby will let me know when it's time to stop.

The other thing that continues to amaze me is the questions people ask - like the three people in my office (whom I am not friends with) who have asked if this was planned??!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I did expect it, but people still seem to think that pregnant women should sit at home and do nothing.  I biked a couple miles to see my friend in a triathlon when I was 38 weeks along with my daughter.  People asked me if I was competing.  That was pretty funny. Biking was a different animal alltogether!  I don't know how you kept yourself upright!  I was totally not balanced.
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]

I was more comfortable on the bike than anywhere else -- I could barely walk because of cervical pain and leg cramps (that's another thing -- I didn't expect leg cramps), but I could bike forever. It's basically just sitting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

After I gave birth, my coworkers kept asking me about breastfeeding and pumping. They were being supportive, but sometimes the questions or remarks got so personal (or were from someone I didn't know well) I had to say, "I'm just not comfortable discussing my breasts in the workplace."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from newmomma. Show newmomma's posts

i was asked my one of my male co-workers if i was going to breastfeed. i didn't feel comfortable even hearing the word breast come out of his mouth. 

things i wish i was warned about:
    not getting a seat on a crowded train
    insomnia
    hip pain
    the colostrum leakage halfway through the pregnancy
    the unsolicited labor and delivery stories

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I didn't take the train much, but every time I did I was offered a seat. Maybe you ladies don't look as pregnant as I did -- I looked like a tick. Interestingly, I think I was only offered a seat by a man maybe five times, tops. Almost every single time, it was a woman who leaped up for me. Once it was even a slightly-less pregnant woman. Once I was offered a seat by a guy who was also standing, and when I pointed out that he didn't have a seat to offer, he poked the guy sitting in front of him and said, "Get the F up, a**h*le." That was funny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from newmomma. Show newmomma's posts

i did a lot of glaring at people through my sunglasses and some passive agressive huffing and puffing.  i totally looked huge, i was pregnant in the summer and there was no coat hiding that big belly :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Maybe it's the commuter rail that's worse.  When I was pg with DD I'd always have to slide between 2 fatties who would proceed to squish me from the outside while DD squished me from the inside.  It was also winter.  Maybe you look less pregnant in a heavy coat? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I was pregnant over the winter too. But I did a lot of belly-stroking and beatific gazing.