TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

hi all. i am 5 months pregnant and having trouble renting an apt. people do not seem interested in renting to a young family albeit illegal. i've been flat out told by realtors that "most landlords are not family friendly due to the lead paint issue it can create". we are financially stable, have great credit and references and yet keep getting the run around.  we have to move because our landlord is putting our apt house on the market. anyone have experience with this? we need some help! so stressed!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

Don't visit the APT w/ your DH.  Send him and then have your name and info on the lease.  They only need info for a credit check; they don't need to meet you in person. Have him say you are out of state and then process the information for the lease. There is no reason why they can't do this. 

MA landlords do need to disclose the lead paint issue, but that is not a new requirement. I am surprised you are running into difficulty w/ it.  Most places de-leaded years ago.  I moved into an apt in Brighton when I was in college and they had just deleaded it.  This was in 1996.  If you are looking at duplexes or houses, this may be why you are running into a problem. Maybe look at larger properties or ones w/ professional management. Those will be deleaded and you should not have a problem. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Alf probably knows this stuff better than me, but when I worked in classified ads ages and ages ago, landlords were not allowed to deny a rental to a qualified applicant unless they live in the property and share an entrance. If the landlord lives there and uses the same entrance and stairs, they can deny anyone they want for any reason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I'm surprised ALF - I would have assumed most places are not deleaded since there is such a large base of renters who don't have children (college students, young profs) in the area, not a lot of incentive for landlords to delead if they can fill the apts with those populations.  But that was just my assumption! 
    ladeeda, I'm sorry to hear this.  What neighborhoods are you exploring?  I would think more family-centered ones may have more options vs. ones that tend to be more college/young professional. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

My friend just moved out of her apt when she was expecting because the landlord was not willing to de-lead. Also they wanted a bigger apt. so it worked out in their favor to get out of the lease w/o loosing money.  My friend just moved from Southie to Cambridge and had no problem with renting while expecting. 
    I'm sorry you're going through this..I second having your SO/DH go and not you, he can take photos and let you know what the place is like.  
    We just bought an older house and signed paperwork basically saying we know there is probably lead in the house before we moved in.  There's no real way around it, just don't let your kid gnaw on the window sills. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ajuly and anyone else -- you can buy testing kits at Home Depot to check your house. We were lucky in that our house is craftsman-style, so a lot of the wood was unpainted until the 80s when the previous owners purchased it and slapped hideous shades of rose and baby blue all over it. But at least it wasn't lead paint. Anyway, the "3-season porch" did have lead paint, as does the ground outside. The least expensive way to deal with any lead paint on the interior is to buy a lead-encapsulating paint (about $50/gallon, which is really expensive but cheap compared to de-leading). You use it as a bottom coat and paint over it with whatever color you're using. And the best way in general to keep your kid's lead levels low is to wash her hands before each meal -- most of the lead gets into them not by gnawing on the wood or eating flakes of paint, but just by touching the lead paint and then eating food. It's a good habit to get into in general, for the whole family. It's also fun for a baby -- I'd hold my daughter up against the sink on my leg with my arms on either side and let her play in the stream. From about 6 months on she was able to wash her own hands by rubbing them together, and knew how to dry them on the hand towel too. It was pretty cool to watch. I keep a pump bottle of mustela at the sink so that I don't need to worry about her rubbing soap into her eyes by mistake.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It is illegal to not rent to you.  But a landlord does not have to delead because you are moving in.  I imagine they are afraidd that you will sue if the place isn't deleaded and something happens. When my son was born I owned an old house and we weren't sure there was lead paint.  We didn't find out because of the cost of fixing it.  My son was ok.  I washed his hands alot.  He never tried to eat the window panes. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

thanks for all the advice everyone... to those who asked where i was looking... in belmont, watertown, arlington, needham... i have been told that only approx 2% of apts are deleaded by several realtors now... even though the law does saw that they should all be deleaded... so, you can imagine how difficult finding one of those will be for us.. apparently the law says that as long as a landlord "doesn't know" if there is lead paint, they can rent their places out and get around this... so, yeah, i'm learning they avoid renting to families over singles and childless couples... it is illegal, yes, but i'm learning that it is common practice for landlords to deny people like myself... even if they don't live there (there is apparently an exception for that)... because of the lead paint/child thing... proof? my husband and i are two professionals with excellent credit and references looking to spend a very reasonable amount of money on a 2 bed rental... even so, we have only heard back from 2 realtors out of a dozen... interestingly enough, the ones we heard back from never asked about children and so we never mentioned our situation... the whole thing makes me loose sleep at night... i'm feeling like i am being pushed into not disclosing my pregnancy out of fear that people will discriminate against me and i will end up without an apartment... after all, i have three months left until my due date and it is the same handful of realtors who handle all the properties in this area... and finding a deleaded apt is close to winning the lottery... ugh... considering what is happening, we are thinking we may be forced to not disclose that i am pregnant until we have gotten approval on paper... then it becomes much more difficult for landlords and realtors to make up reasons why the apartment isn't available to you... it is all so twisted... but in the end what can i do?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Why do you need to disclose that you are pg at all?  The names of minors do not go on the lease [so if you have kids they aren't included].  They just need to know how many people will be living there. If the child isn't born yet, you don't need to include them in the head count. 

I think you might be stressing unnecessarily over this.  Just send your DH to look at the apts and sign a lease.  You may be having a hard time getting realtors get back to you b/c renting is not as lucrative as buying. It also means more work for them going forward if they are managing the property, or acting as a go between. 

Have you tried Craigslist and dealt directly w/ the landlords?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I agree with ALF.  I don't understand why you would need to disclose your pregnancy to anyone at all.  In my experience, no one asks whether you are pregnant.  If they ask if you have any children, you can truthfully answer "no" since you actually don't have any yet.  Just have your husband go look at the apartments, and he can take pictures for you.  Once you decide on a place and get all the credit checks done, you can both sign the lease (at that point they couldn't take the apartment away since then you'd know it was discrimination).  Also, ALF's suggestion of finding a way to deal directly with the landlords is a good one.  That would probably be easier.  I know tons of people who've had no problem at all renting apartments while pregnant or with children.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Yes, I agree with Alf too. I also don't know why you'd bother using a Realtor to rent an apartment. It's an added expense and since it's not working for you it's obviously not worth the effort. It doesn't sound like you're getting turned down by the landlords anyway -- it sounds like you're getting turned down by the Realtors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I'm not a mom but just wanted to chime in that I live in an apartment in Belmont and live upstairs from a lovely family with 2 young children (2.5 years and 5 months).  They mentioned that they'd had a hard time finding a place, too, but eventually they did.  If it helps, we both rented through Lawndale Realty in Belmont but I initially found the apartment through Craigslist.  GL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

thanks so much for the advice... everyone's kind words are definitely making me feel like i shouldn't stress so much over not sharing my pregnancy with the realtors... that's what we will do... i'll send my husband to check things out and then just sign the lease once we are approved... p.s. we have been using realtors because around here just about all the apts are handled for the landlords by them... you never even meet the landlord til after everything is approved and signed... believe me, i would have loved to avoid them if i could... so, wish us luck!
    and i will def call lansdale in the morning... thank you for tip...
    best wishes to all!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from octofrog. Show octofrog's posts

If the landlords knows there is lead, they are required by law to delead before a child under 6 moves in and must do so at their own expense.  If the landlord doesn't know about the lead, the family can ask for it to be inspected and deleaded, if needed.  That's why many landlords refuse to rent to families with young children or pregnant women.  They can't legally refuse to rent to a family, but they can find another renter and preferentially choose them.  Suing the landloard that didn't rent to you because of the kids or pregnancy is expensive and difficult to prove.  Landlord are also not allowed to ask if you have a family -- if they do ask and don't accept you for the apt, you can use that to sue. 

Homeowners are also supposed to delead their own homes if they have children 6 or under.  But, it isn't enforced because the state is only involved at the sale, and if there isn't a lead disclosure, then they can't really do anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

OCTOFROG! ha ha ha ha ha!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Hello,
    I have owned rental property in the past and required that we met all the individuals living in the apt and each person signed the lease.  It was stated somehow I don't remember that only those on the lease were allowed to leave there or could be evicted.  We did not rent to families or anyone pregant because we had more than plenty couples, singles etc to rent to.  Sorry but it is reality.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I would consider pursuing something through the Mass. Commission Against Discrimination about these realtors/landlords.  I'm pasting below an excerpt from their guidance to the law in Massachusetts around these issues, which makes it clear that it's fully illegal in MA to refuse to rent to you because you're pregnant.  allreadymarried, what you've done is both illegal and really repugnant.

Housing Discrimination Against Persons with Children

(1) Applicable Law. M.G.L. c. 151B, s. 4, subsection 11 prohibits discrimination in the leasing or renting of accommodations to any person because the person has a child or children who shall occupy the premises with such person.

(2) Definition of Children.

• (a) For the purposes of 804 CMR 2.02, a child is any individual who has not yet attained the age of 18 years.
    • (b) For the purposes of 804 CMR 2.02, discrimination against persons with children shall extend to women who are pregnant.
    • (c) For the purposes of 804 CMR 2.02, discrimination against persons with children shall extend to persons who are in the process of securing legal custody of a child or children.

(3) Examples of Unlawful Practices. Examples of unlawful practices under 804 CMR 2.02(3) include but are not limited to the following:

The following text is effective 07/01/93

• (a) Refusing to rent to families with young children because of lead paint in the unit.
    • (b) Refusing to allow families with young children to live above a certain floor.
    • (c) Charging a higher rent or security deposit to families with children.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

allreadymarried, you don't sound sorry at all

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

It may be reality, but it is illegal.  It's only a matter of time before some savvy denied renter hauls you before a housing court judge, or  hte MCAD, allreadymarried. You are going to lose and lose big time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

yes, it is a reality that people who discriminate exist and are breaking the law.

There's no legitimate reason the landlord has to meet everyone in the head count.  Send DH; I'm sure he's capable of picking a nice place to live that meets both of your criteria.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

We personally did not want to hear a crying baby or kids running around all the time.  We also did want toys all over the yard.  It was a nice three family in a residental area. Not our cup of tea. 

One of our tenants was a divorced dad and had his kids every other weekend and sometimes vacations.  We were OK with that and wrote in to the lease.  We also had a tenant that had a older child emergency situation and we wrote a clause in the lease. 

I think it is important to met all that will leave there. 
    We didn't do anything illegal.  We met with all kinds of family situations and living arrangement and choose the best suited for our needs as a landlord. 

You are right I do not feel guilty in the least bit but do feel sorry because that is the reality out there.   

We sold and are not interested in dealing with all the crap that comes along.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Great post, thanks for sharing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

How does it work if you are in apt/house that has NOT been de-leaded, you do not have children and you make the decision to have children.  Does the landlord now have to de-lead?

Sorry for my negativity or the way it came across!!

My tips.  Stake out the neighborhood for traffic volume/noise!  If bedrooms in front of house and a lot of noise might be hard with a baby. Meeting some of the neighbors is always helpful.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You are obligated to delead the apt. If you are a landlord and you reside on the premises and the dwelling is of a certain size, you have more leeway w/ who you rent to, etc. 

I personally would not want a crying baby other than my own in the house. However, if I am a landlord, I have certain legal obligations, among them not discriminating against people w/ children or elderly parents [gee, Grandma, there are a lot of stairs leading to the third floor, are you sure you want to move in here?].  

What you did is completely illegal.  You can put whatever you like in the lease. If it's illegal, it's void as a violation of public policy; it makes no difference if the tenant agreed to it and signed the lease.  If you tried to enforce clauses like that in the lease, a housing court judge -esp in MA- would laugh you into next week.  Those clauses about kids only being present at certain times or in 'emergency' situations are void as violations of public policy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

We did live there.
    I really am not a bad person:)

Why do you say housing court would laugh at you as landlord if you clearly have a valid lease and everything in writing?