TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

Because if you went to court and tried to enforce a clause that said 'no kids', the judge would tell you that it was a void clause. It is against public policy and unenforceable. It does not matter if the tenant signed it. If something is against public policy, the tenant cannot waive it. 

Depending on what court you are in, the judge would either rip you a new one, or else laugh you into next week for  htinking you could enforce that clause. Then they would assess you with damages. Yes, you would end up paying a large sum to the tenant you tried to do this to.

I have practiced in just about every housing court in MA on both sides -tenants while in law school and landlords when in private practice. Granted, it was not the focus of my practice, but I have handled many many cases, including trials. You are going to lose. I strongly suggest that before you execute any new leases that you consult w/ an attorney who does housing law. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think she's saying that a lease cannot override state/fed law if it stipulates something illegal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Gotcha ya.

We sold long long ago when it was getting difficult to find good tenants who cared about the space they lived in and too much work for us.

Not interested in going down that round again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good thing you got out before anything came of any potential problem!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I thought you could deny people with kids if you lived in the house. There certainly is a legitimate reason to meet every person that would be living in the house.  So often when a person trying to rent the place comes without the other person (people) who will live with them, there is a reason.  When you meet them you always get another tidbit or inconsistency as to previous residences, etc. from the other person. It's unfortunate, but true.  You have to protect yourself to some degree. 
    My parents live in a two family and also meet every party before renting it to someone.  They rented to a family with kids for a long time, and when the family moved out they decided to get people with no kids. You should have seen all the characters they had to try to avoid without offending anyone.  So many people lie about their finances or living situation.  They eventually ended up with the nicest two women, divorced, in their fifties.  They thought it was great...until after a couple of weeks the woman's adult son, his girlfriend, his kid off and on, etc. were all staying there "temporarily".  They all smoked, were super loud, ALWAYS paid the rent late because the son wasn't working - but he shouldn't have even been there! My parents never would have never rented their two bedroom apt. (with heat/water included) to all those people.  It's their house, it should be their choice! They didn't really do anything about it, but they weren't happy, and the group moved out after a couple of years for a bigger but cheaper place.

I feel for someone who is legitimately trying to rent an apartment while pregnant, but you have to look at it from the home owner's side. Maybe they can't afford to de-lead and they are just trying to rent their place out to keep from losing their house.  Maybe they rented to kids before and just don't want the added noise.  It's not all fun and games and profit renting out an apartment. 

I feel that if you buy a property with your own hard-earned money, you should have more say as to what happens there.  It's not fair that you can be forced to accept someone on Section 8, with kids, etc., etc., when it's virtually impossible to evict someone.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladeeda2. Show ladeeda2's posts

thank you, thank you, thank you to all those who are sticking up for pregnant people and families like myself! i did send the dh by himself and, because of it, rented an apt successfully... finally! what a relief to know we have a home to live in as i enter my 6 month... and to already married, people like you are exactly the problem... you should try to spend some time imagining you and your family in my shoes... maybe it'll help you gain some perspective! i hope you get caught!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Glad you got an apartment, but your comments to allreadymarried are completely irrational.  She (or I) don't have anything against pregnant people. LOL  She LIVED in the house, she interviewed multiple prospects, and she picked who she thought suited her best - oh, the horror of it all! There was nothing illegal about it. And she said she sold the house, so it's a non-issue now.  Nobody has to pick the first applicant, for any reason. I hope you gain some perspective by "imagining" owning a house someday and having others try to tell you who should live in it.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

MA laws do not favor the landlord, which is why they are so careful when it comes to renting to people. My DH and I have tenants (we live on the first floor and our tenants live upstairs). We also did not want to rent to families because of the lead paint issue and also because we were single at the time and did not want to have to deal with the noise level and potential property damage (you know what I'm talking about!). There are some really bad tenants out there and some landlords have been burned. There are tons of stories out there of renters not paying rent but the landlord cannot evict immediately and MONTHS go by with the renters living rent-free.
    Because we lived on the 1st floor we could be pickier about who we rented to.
    I can understand why a landlord would not want to rent to a pregnant mommy. It's not right and it's not fair, but it is reality.
    And yes, your DH can go and look at the apt on his own, take pictures, and you don't even have to meet the landlord before you move in. But why be sneaky about it? You want to be on good terms with your landlord.
    As others have suggested, don't go through a realtor. Who does that these days?!!! Everyone posts on Craigslist now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Yes, the rules are different for 2 and 3 family properties, if the owner lives on the premises, but honestly, if you want to make money by renting out a portion of your property, you do need to follow the rules. 

It does not take months to evict someone for nonpayment if you know what you are doing.  It's also relatively quick to evict someone for violating the law [ie, if they are dealing drugs from the property]. It takes less than 2 months to evict. Hire a lawyer and get it done right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Michelleandtheboys- thank you! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

This whole thread is very depressing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Thanks lemon, that was my thought exactly. Well, that and, if you want to control who lives in your property DON"T OWN A RENTAL!!!! Just buy a single family home and be done with it. If you need more money, find some way to do it that doesn't require you to interact with other people, who might have relationships with even more other people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I can see both sides of it, but I think there's a lot more to human interaction than the simple facts of our lives. I think we could all be nicer to each other.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

It's kind of like karma... you try so hard to find the "perfect" tenants that you discarded all sorts of good candidates... and then they come with baggage that you never expected.  Could have just picked a perfectly nice family to begin with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I guess that's kind of how I feel. I moved into my first apartment when I was 21. No credit history, no rental history, and on the tail end of an unfortunate indie/punk phase, so I didn't look totally presentable either. But the elderly landlord took a chance on me, and we got to be really good friends. As he grew more infirm, I took over the maintenance of the building. I lived there for 15 years, and we did old people stuff together like going to Bickfords and Costco and driving around graveyards. We still keep in touch and I visit when I can (parking is one of the major reasons I moved out of the North End when I got pregnant).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Couple of thoughts...

I forget what the topic was, but there was a thread a while back that attracted lots of people from the main page and one guy kept posting to say that maternity leave is the reason he never hires women.  Made my blood boil!  He kept saying that co-workers have to pick up the slack for mothers, etc.

I've been listening to my upstairs neighbor's kids run around for 3 1/2 years.  I hope to god he can hear my baby crying - every. single. time.  They are now 12 and 14 and yet they still run around like wild things.  The 12 year old stands up while playing video games and dances around, stomps his feet, etc.  Seriously??  I guess it's good he gets some kind of exercise while killing his brain cells.

Question for ALF - I'm curious about something in our lease.  Our landlord has it in there that we are responsible for snow removal, which is fine.  However, in a snow emergency, I believe they can give out tickets for not shoveling the sidewalk in front of your house.  Would we be responsible for such a ticket or would the landlord?  I'm just curious.  I figure since he owns the house, the ticket would go to him, so it's pretty pointless for him to even put that in the lease.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Does the kid have a wii? Or does he just have ants in his pants?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Hi Fra,

The snow removal thing is perfectly legal.  I moved from MA before they instituted the snow emergency tickets, so I've never read the law [so read this w/ a grain of salt]. My initial guess is that the owner is the one who would receive the ticket b/c he owns the property, but he would then pass the cost of the ticket onto you b/c it was your failure to do what you had contracted to do that led to the ticket.  I know they can do this if you get fined for having a gas grill above the first floor [which violates the fire code] - you are then forced to remove the grill and pay any fine.  Your landlord putting this in the lease is pretty smart -he's covering himself in case the tenant does a poor job of clearing snow. 

Putting the cost or burden of lawn care or snow removal on the person renting the property is pretty common and perfectly legal. 

ETA: the landlord would be resonsible to the municipality for paying the ticket, but you would need to reimburse him for the cost of the ticket.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

That blows. What's the point of renting if you have to deal with all the annoyance of owning?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Tell me about it, Lemon.  We have to get the gutters cleaned and clear our own snow.  Fortunately, we don't have to do lawn work, except for the backyard garden, which really involves a patio and flower beds.  I put my foot down w/ the property manager who tried to tell me that the clause that said the tenant will meet w/ all service personnel for utilities meant ALL service people, including hte HVAC people who give you an 8 hour time frame and serviced our AC unit last summer 10 times in one month.  Yeah, I told him [correctly] that it meant we would meet w/ the gas, electric, etc people that we contract w/ and pay the bill every month. It does not mean we will meet w/ service people who attend to the fireplace, or the HVAC or any other system. It worked. They now get their butts out there to meet w/ the HVAC people for the 10 million service calls they have to make. I cannot wait to move out of this place!  If I didn't know how to interpret a lease, I would have blown through my entire vacation leave for the year b/c the HVAC people are jerks and got the owners to install a unit that is insufficient to service the property. 

For major problems, like a tree crashing into the roof, or necessary utilities where it's the pipes or the wires themselves, the landlord is required to deal w/ it.  But if it's a service you have for your own benefit [ie, gas or electric] where you pay the bill, it's your problem. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl88. Show bostongirl88's posts

Renting condos are great if you don't want to deal with snow removal or lawn care. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Depends on the condo.  We rent a townhouse. If you live in apt style condo, yeah, this may work, but for town house or house style condos, if the area in front and in back of your unit is for your use alone, you can most definitely be responsible for it's upkeep.  Same goes for individual driveways.  It's going to depend on what the condo docs say.  The association does not need to take care of all snow removal or lawn care if you have exclusive use of those areas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I wasn't going to waste any more time or energy on this post, but I can't get Amy Lynn and Bostongrl's comments out of my head:

Amy-Lynn: Are you for real?!  Don't BUY a house if you want to control who lives in it?! Seriously? Do you really think the reason people should buy a rental property is strictly to help out others who can't or don't want to save enough to buy their own house? I would never want to buy a two-family myself because I wouldn't want to deal with the entitled people who think everyone owes them something.  

And this comment is also great: "If you need more money, find some way to do it that doesn't require you to interact with other people, who might have relationships witheven more other people."  Just because I was explaining why it's prudent to consider all your options rather than rent to the first person to walk through the door and look at the place, doesn't mean I think there is no emotion involved.  My parents agonize every time they rent the place, as I'm sure many others  do, and have gone with their hearts many times, but you can't be completely clueless and not think it over at all if you want to be able keep the stupid house and share a space with someone.  

@Bostongrl: "Karma" that's a good one.  I don't know why I feel the need to defend them, but my parents are the nicest, most unsuspecting, caring people, and have been taken advantage of many times because of it.  I was just explaining the most recent event with the two older women.  For your information they've rented to a few  "perfectly nice" families in the past.  Like the ones who had one kid when they moved it (in the not huge two bedroom apt.), had two more kids in the 14 YEARS they lived above my parents' heads, and always paid the rent late.  They felt bad, knowing they couldn't afford it so they didn't increase the rent hardly at all the whole time, even though the woman was so annoying, never said hello, and used to swear at her kids at the top of her lungs all the time.  The place was absolutely trashed when they moved out. Yes, they must have such bad karma for that. Don't be so quick to judge.

If you were looking for a babysitter, or an employee would you just pick the first inexperienced character who responded to your ad because they have a right to have a job, or would you want to figure out who would be best to spend time in your house with your kids and your family, or at your business?  It's NOT just a simple answer, and again, I was just explaining the other side of it, which any one of you would see clearly if you actually lived it. 

Lastly, Amy-Lynn....if my only options were to rent forever, buy a single family home and keep my kids in daycare, or buy a two family and stay home - I'd buy the two family.  Everyone does things for different reasons.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I was not going to comment again either but since Michelleandboys did I will tooSmile.

We did not buy a "rental" property because we needed money or because that was the only we could buy a house.  We purchased to MAKE money and that is exactly what we did.  Made our money and got out.  Now we thought about keeping it to continuing making money but finding good and honest tenants was becoming a hassle.  Our tenants usually stayed at least 2 years but still.

I have been in management for a long time and DO NOT pick the first person who comes in to my office.  I have criteria they need to meet and sometimes it takes a while.  I don't care what you look like, what race or gender you are.  I want the best person who suits my needs to fullfill the job responsibility.  Same way with my house.  We went through a lot of tenant interviews.

So here you are basing me and a few others and yet you lied to your new landlord.

Done now.  I am a good person, caring and go out of my way for others.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Michelle, I don't think anyone meant anything against you or your parents. I think the responses - mine included - were more in response to allready's early posts, which seemed really harsh. As it turns out, the harsh tone was unintentional. But it's hard not to read something that pertains to one's own situation and not take it personally.

Sections
Shortcuts