TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING

sorry, but I'm a little confused here-

if it's illegal to not rent to families, how do 50+ residences exist? It must be legal for them to only allow people above a certain age. I know my grandmother lived in one and they couldn't have kids, pets, etc. It wasn't a nursing home or anything like that. Just an apartment building that ONLY rented to "seniors."

I have a dog, and finding a new apartment is always a nightmare because of it, and I would imagine that with kids it would be 10x worse because a lot of the noise and mess associated with kids can't really be avoided.
    Yet I don't quite understand why landlords can legally say "no pets" but not "no kids"?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Pink, it's b/c that's the way the law is written.  These things are governed entirely by state statute.  There are specific exemptions in housing statutes for 'senior only' housing, just like it is written in related statutes that you cannot discriminate against families or people w/ children. As much as we love them like we would love a child, an animal is not a human. There is no legal requirement to allow someone to have a pet in a rented property.

I share your pain re finding pet friendly rentals.  But it's apples to  oranges when it comes to pets and children.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING:
    Pink, it's b/c that's the way the law is written.  These things are governed entirely by state statute.  There are specific exemptions in housing statutes for 'senior only' housing, just like it is written in related statutes that you cannot discriminate against families or people w/ children. As much as we love them like we would love a child, an animal is not a human. There is no legal requirement to allow someone to have a pet in a rented property. I share your pain re finding pet friendly rentals.  But it's apples to  oranges when it comes to pets and children.
    Posted by ALF72

Oh, so those communities have to be sanctioned as such in order to have such policies?

I'm not one of those people who thinks my dog is my kid, I just know from experience that neighbors love to complain about pets and kids being noisy and/or messy, so I can understand why a landlord wouldn't want to deal with it. I've missed out on even "pet friendly" places simply because another applicant didn't have a dog. With so many people competing over the same apartment, it's easy to pick and choose.

And I imagine it's harder with kids because of the whole risk of injury/accident thing.

So, is it illegal for buildings in Boston to have a "no college students" policy? Because I see those all the time!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Yes, they have to follow very specific rules to be a permissible 'senior only' community.

There is no 'no college kids' policy. There is a ordinance in place in Boston that provides that you cannot rent to more than a certain number of people who are not related by blood or marriage.  Yes, it amounts to 'no college students' or at least limits the number of people who can afford to rent in a particular building, but I'd be very surprised to see a landlord actually put 'no college students' in the ad.  Even if htey did, there is a valid ordinance in place that would prevent them from renting to 4 [I think that is the number; I'm fuzzy since I moved from Boston in 2007] college students who are not related by blood or marriage. 

If you are talking about a building that is a condo, and they have bylaws that say that you cannot rent to more than X number of people who are not related by marriage or blood, that's a whole different ball game. They can make whatever regulation that they want, as long as it is properly included in the governing documents.  Many buildings in Boston are condo, but are rented out as apts by individual landlords. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: TIPS FOR RENTING APT WHILE EXPECTING:
    Yes, they have to follow very specific rules to be a permissible 'senior only' community. There is no 'no college kids' policy. There is a ordinance in place in Boston that provides that you cannot rent to more than a certain number of people who are not related by blood or marriage.  Yes, it amounts to 'no college students' or at least limits the number of people who can afford to rent in a particular building, but I'd be very surprised to see a landlord actually put 'no college students' in the ad.  Even if htey did, there is a valid ordinance in place that would prevent them from renting to 4 [I think that is the number; I'm fuzzy since I moved from Boston in 2007] college students who are not related by blood or marriage.  If you are talking about a building that is a condo, and they have bylaws that say that you cannot rent to more than X number of people who are not related by marriage or blood, that's a whole different ball game. They can make whatever regulation that they want, as long as it is properly included in the governing documents.  Many buildings in Boston are condo, but are rented out as apts by individual landlords. 
    Posted by ALF72

yes, a lot of ads say flat out "no undergraduates" or "no students"
    when I'm looking for an apartment it's almost always the first question asked: "are you a student?"
    so many landlords don't want to rent to college kids because of noise/mess/irresponsibility, etc. I always suspected that it wasn't technically legal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bethers97. Show Bethers97's posts

Thank you all for your help!  You definitely calmed me down and I no longer feel a need to move!  We've renewed our lease and requested that the landlords do some basic maintenance including some painting prior to the little one's arrival.

Thanks everyone!

Ladyboston, I'm glad you found a place!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

After months of tears and frustration we finally found out dream apartment!! It is de-leaded and is in the exact location we wanted! We sign the lease next week and move in the 1st, just in time for the shower and for me to nest and set up nursery!
    Thanks again for all your support and words of wisdom/encouragement and support!!
    Stay cool and hydrated these next few days, I know I am hiding out in the ac until further notice!Cool

Sections
Shortcuts