Toilet Training: Any advice, humorous stories welcome!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Toilet Training: Any advice, humorous stories welcome!

So it's time to toilet train.  My DD is 27 months and seems to be quite ready.  She does all that stuff like announcing when she has peed/pooped, trying to "help" by taking her dirty diaper off, and enjoying sitting on the potty and imitating me while I go to the bathroom (ahh the blissful life of a mother). 
    We got two packs of underwear today at target.  She chose.  Last night we tried having her wear just a sun dress on with the instructions to sit on the potty if she has to go.  She seems very excited but hasn't had any success with actually getting the pee in the potty.  She'll sit on the potty with a book and talk about peeing for what feels like a long time, then "wipe" (she insists!), flush the paper, walk triumphantly into the dining room, and pee on the floor, then run and track her little pee-soaked footprints back into the bathroom and yell "I'm potty training!" and sit on the potty for another 5 minutes.  This is without much prompting from  us.  She seems to feel like she has to pee but be so excited or something that she doesn't go, then relaxes and pees as soon as she's off and knows she should run back.
    Maybe she's not physically ready? 

Anyway, any recommendations would be great.  Even if you are also at a loss and just want to share horror stories, that's fine too haha.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Re: Toilet Training: Any advice, humorous stories welcome!

Hi Lisa,

We have the same exact issue with DD who is just about 2 1/2.  My goal was to have her trained before DS arrives in a few weeks.  It just has not worked out.  We stayed home for a few days, she had her share of accidents which I know will happen but also did her business in the potty.  I know she can hold it because she does on the potty and then pees right after we take her off just like your DD.  I guess I am going about this the way I feel it should be done but dont know what the best steps are to take.  I think DD is ready but I must be doing something wrong. 

Some Questions I have are:

How long is it supposed to take
    Did you use pull ups (i rather not)
    Did you leave the house
    Did you reward for going on potty?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Editing down my crazy long post...

DS just trained. YAY!

Around 18 mo I got him a toilet.  I'd put him on it in the AM, before nap, before going out, you know, the standard times when an adult would go.  He'd try when he wanted, never forced, but always encouraged. He had a great time trying. Lots of cheering etc..

DS started to stay dry through the nights since he turned 2.   All of a sudden DS started to announce when his "tummy hurt" meaning he had to have a BM. He'd hold it and we'd go together to the bathroom.

maybe two months ago Day care suggested we try pull ups or undies. I delayed since we had a big trip coming up. Week after getting back from the trip day care brought it up again. He was going to the bathroom and staying dry. 

We went straight to undies. I never used pull-ups, to me it's a diaper in a different form and I refused to spend the $$ on them. If it was clear DS wasn't ready we were going back to diapers.

So I actually put DS in undies and took him to day care one day (they were okay with me starting it mid week). This was about a month ago. He has had two accidents total.

When going in the car I tried CT.DC's trick of putting a diaper over the undies to save the car seat, this would let DS feel the wetness if he did pee. I've stopped doing this since DS seeem to be able to go hours without needing to use the bathroom. We've taken road trips to ME with no diaper. Daring!

We are now diaper free all day except for night time, wondering when I will feel safe to stop this too.

We did rewards, we gave DS a mini peanut butter cup for peeing and P00ping in the toilet-funny thing was DS will talk about it, but never really request or demand it. So my fear of how to get out of the rewards has been easy. And he thought he only got it when he did both, not just pee.

We definitely left the house. But there's a change of clothes in the car! I have a collapsable toilet seat adaptor that fits in my big purse-helps them from falling in and gives them soemthing clean to sit on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I have no advice, but I can tell you this: when my niece was toilet training, EVERYONE was involved, to the point where I was heading out of the living and my husband said, Where are you going? and I replied, "To go pee-pee on the potty like a big girl."

But I wasn't trying to be funny. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Also, I find M&M's really gross now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

We trained my oldest daughter at 2.5.  For a while, she had been sitting on the potty at the usual times (morning, before, after nap and before bed).  Sometimes she'd go, sometimes, she'd just 'read.'  We'd praise her when she went and be fine when she didn't.  When we thought she was ready (and I was ready for her to be out of diapers), we took a 3 day weekend in the late spring, put on a dress and undies and played outside.  I brought the small potty outside and we had a soft small seat on the regular potty inside.  We made her sit down every 30 minutes.  If she started peeing, she'd run over (or we'd run her over) to the potty to finish, then she'd take the hose and clean up where she went on the ground.  The first day was not fun, but day 2 was good, and it got better from there.  She was holding her p00ps and would often wait until the diaper at nap time, which was fine.  Within abotu a month, she was p00ping in the toilet regularly.  If your child is in daycare, I'd get their advice and make sure they're on board.  I skipped pull-ups for the same reasons as above.  I also have never given a reward, as my feelign is why should you be rewarded for something you need to learn to do and should be a normal part of your day.  Praise is more than enough of a reward.  She stopped wearing diapers at naptime within 6 months and within less than a year, she's completely diaper free.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I didn't really "train" either of my kids.  My oldest was very smart and well-spoken.  I figured it would be easy, so I bought a plastic potty before he was two and he sat on it occasionally, but otherwise wasn't interested, so I held off. I then started asking him if he wanted to go in the potty, and he'd say "no thanks".  Tons of times, casually, for months, "no thanks".  I was starting to get concerned, but didn't push it beyond that.  Shortly after he turned three, he had taken his diaper off to get in the tub and then wanted to put it back on to to pee.  I told him to just stand in front of the toilet and do it.  He was reluctant, but had to go badly so he just did it.  He was SO excited, we made a big deal about it, and although I continued to put a pull up on him for a couple of weeks afterwards, he used the toilet from that moment on and he never had one accident!  NO bribing, begging, cleaning up messes, staying in the house all day, running around naked - he was just ready. SO easy.

My younger one started peeing in the toilet before he was two, likely to copy his brother.  I thought he'd be all set in no time. However, he had a very hard time getting out a BM, he refused to do that in the toilet. He'd BEG for a diaper and sometimes I'd get aggravated, and sometimes just encourage him to go on the toilet, but he didn't.  I felt bad because it really hurt him to go, so I'd typically let him use the pull up, rather than force him to sit on the toilet and cry (although I did that a few times as well).  I always encouraged him, but stopped getting upset, and the same with him...shortly after he turned three, he just started doing it, and never looked back.  I didn't "train" him either, he did it when he was ready, and he also only used a regular toilet, with a little seat insert so he didn't fall in.

My guess is that although the different training techniques work for a lot of kids, it will still happen when they are ready, even if it's a little later than we'd like.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Twirlybirdmom. Show Twirlybirdmom's posts

Same thing with my daughter.  She wanted nothing to do with potty training until she turned 3.  Magically she decided she wanted to pee in the potty and several months after, BM.  I can count the number of accidents on one hand.  Looking back I could have saved myself a lot of stress.  I'm also not a believer in sticker charts and rewards.  It might just be my daughter, but they didn't motivate her.  But the pride in her face when she first went in the potty was more rewarding than anything I could have given her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Whatever you do, don't force it and never be negative!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder if it would help to get a foot rest such that to do a BM the child is in more of a squat position - I've read a lot about it being easier that way, and they sell things like that for adults.  I suppose you'd need to alter it to be child size or improvise for a child's potty.

I can't speak from personal experience, but it's supposed to position everything so BMs are much easier.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

yes, get a step stool for your child who is sitting on the big toilet so he/she can get up to the potty by him/herself, the put his feet on it when sitting - it's no fun sitting on a potty feeling like you're gonna fall in and having your little feet dangling!

also, when you put her on the potty run the water in the sink, just a little trickle, and when you run water in the bath, have her sit and "try" to pee on the potty - the sound of trickling wter from sink or bathtub will make you cross your legs, and perhaps let your daughter let down.  Staying dry longer and longer is important, so is the ability to let go on the potty.

So be patient, and don't have your 2 year tell you when she she has to go. - she'll get too involved in playing to remember the new thing.  also, she doesn't have enough notice between "i gotta go to ohmigod I gotta go NOW!' and that's when they have accidents.  it's just too new to trust this to them. 

So .....you put her on the potty when you get up in the morning, before you go outside, when you get back from being outside (park or backyard), before snack  and meals, after snack and meals, before nap, after nap, and then when you haven't been to the potty in the last hour, have her go.  oh!  and when she's doing the 'potty dance/wiggle' - you'll recognize that one, and that's when you say oops, lets go now!  and pick her up and race her to the potty!

it's NEVER 'do you need to go potty?'  What is a child who is very involved in playing with a puzzle, or swinging, or watching tv going to say?  NO! and then you have to fight, argue, wheedle, cajole, beg, bargain....  ugh!

The way you say it is 'when you finish the puzzle it will be time to go potty.  When you're done, we'll start a new puzzle" (or clean up and go to the park, or whatever).  And when the puzzle is done (and, yes, you may help with those last 2 pieces if it's taking too long) you take her by the hand (or pick her up if she's dragging) and dance, jump, fly, or whatever to the potty.

If any child is hating going to the potty, is really resisting, they aren't ready, so back off and wait a bit.

wear diapers at naptime and bedtime.

if a child can't seem to p00p in the potty and needs to use a diaper (not that you offer this, but some children like one letter writer have children who solve their problem this way), I used to be harder core and think they shouldn't be allowed to use a diaper because it was confusing.  BUT this can lead to serious constipation issues, which leads to pain to hold it, pain when you go...., and then if it hurts why would you want to do it that way.. and so on.  So if they can ask for a diaper, then that's an interim method, just like a bottle and then a sippy cup are both the interim to using a real cup. So if they ask, you can put one on, they p00p, then you take it off.  Eventually they'll be ready to use the potty (and in the meantime, you can add MORE FIBER and MORE WATER to their diet to decrease constipation and hard stools, as well as a wee bit of prunes or prune juice, just go VERY slow so you don't end up with a child with diarrhea, so not fun) 

if it walks like a diaper... sounds like a diaper, and makes you feel dry like a diaper... must be a diaper!  so pullups are a crock, I think, a way for pampers to keep you paying pampers and huggies for longer.  When your child is 4, 5, 6, 7, and still wetting the bed at night, then pullups are great vs. diapers.(and older children can use goodnights)  Or when your child is basically potty trained but you're going on a long flight and won't be able to use the potty when they necessarily need to, then pullups are great.  but otherwise, just use diapers - you can change a diaper standing up, it's really easy to do, and you don't need those more expensive pullups.  when your child is ready for underpants, use those!

also, your child needs to feel the feeling of being wet to his core... ishy, squishy socks, shoes, pants, shorts, underpants - otherwise they don't get why you are upset that their pullup is wet, when they feel basically dry!  not a punishment, just a natural consequence.

but it's your job to make sure your child gets to the potty lots, not your child's, at this point. (when your child is 6 months in and always dry, you can remind, but you won't do this many trips just cuz, of course)

I'd use those super thick training underpants, not the thin cotton ones we wear - you want something that will hold a wee bit of pee if there is a tiny sprinkle, and to hold in a BM accident... thin ones like we wear won't do it, so hold off on those thin pretty disney underpants until your child is trained.

always have 3 sets of clothes at all times with you - and that includes pants, socks, shirts, and 1 more pair of shoes.  and NO MORE onsies when you toilet train, please, those tails fall in the potty no matter what!

you should also put your child in easy to take off/on clothing - no more tight jeans, pants that are too tight, jeans that are incredibly difficult to unzip, no overalls, just easy on/off, since you want them to be able to be independent and do it with little help (plus, if your child has gotta go NOW you have NO TIME FOR zippers and too tight pants, argh! as you are whipping off her pants and hoisting her onto the throne!)

work with childcare - we can't have you bring in underpants and expect all day use if you're not doing it all day (except for nap and bedtime) at home, too.  I always suggest you do underpants at home beginning Friday night, all day sat, all day sun, then go to school with underpants on Monday - it's too hard to do underpants the first time at school with so many other distractions. (as another writer said, though, if it's ok at school or family childcare, then go for it to start in the middle of the week.  but often children have been using the potty for months before going to underpants - their diapers are dry and we take them into the potty to 'try' (and be successful) for months.... so they are used to being in a "potty state of mind" before we put them in underpants - there is NO WAY you want to fight with a chlid about using the potty when they are underpants and you REALLY care that they try.

I would not go to the mall or to the farthest playground that has no potty for 3 hours in your first week or so, but I would say you could leave the house - just make sure you have a child who pees beforehand... and that means you stick around in the bathroom and listen!  (and help wipe) (oh, and, yes, you do need to wipe even if you don't go - it's all in the fun of the thing Smile)

and, yes, please have your chlid's underpants ON when you get to childcare - I usually suggest diaper under the underpants so if they have an accident in the car you don't have wet underpants and carseat - then you hvae to change clothing when you're trying to get to work.  when you get to childcare, you should wash your child's hands (and your hands) before leaving, so have your child go potty and try, and you remove the diaper;  with underpants already on, you won't be arguing and negotiating all over again at school when you're in a rush. then wash hands (always!) and go to the classroom.  (and if in underpants, do tell the teacher if it was a 'try' or a real pee so they know how long before they suggest the chlid go potty again)

like KAM's idea of having diaper OVER the underpants for longer carrides so there is consistency of 'feeling wet' but not ruining that carseat - have you TRIED to take those apart to wash those stupid things?

you do want to be positive.  remember, it's a learning process - your child took a while to get the concept of a sippy cup, and then oh, the spilling when you took that lid off the sippy cup at the beginning.... by 3 or 4 your child will drink from a regular cup, but it took practice..  potty training takes practice.

be consistent, no diapers when you go out becuase it's too much of a pain, then underpants 3 days later when you're in the mood.. it's all or nothing, babe!  but if after 10 or 12 days it's just accidents all day long, then your child isn't ready, go back to diapers (which is why you do not malign the diaper, no 'you're such a big girl you don't need those stupid diapers) because a) her younger friend, brother, childcare friend DOES need those diapers and it's not nice to malign and b) you may need her to go back to them if she's not ready.

ok, think that's all.

I do think there's no need to have this be such a horrible process for months on end, but at the same time, I do think that 2 years and a few months is a wonderful time for most children to train - they want to please you and they are thrilled to do big kid things, and they haven't figured out (like a 3 yr old has) that it's a PAIN to use the potty - it's so much easier to just use a diaper and then never have to leave your puzzle....!  kids who aren't introduced to potty training until 3 yrs old often take longer.

but another writer had the exact opposite - her 3 yr old boys trained at 3 yrs old, not earlier.  all kids are different, too, remember!

can't think of anything else, for real this time!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Get one of those toddler seats that flip up and down on the real toilet seat, or if you must, a potty in the bathroom. Don't put it anywhere else--you don't go in the living room, neither should they.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from smileyd. Show smileyd's posts

Somewhere in the thread, I remember a question about car travel.  We do a lot of travelling, and here's what we did in the beginng as once I had her out of diapers, I didn't want her back in them on occasion as I thought it would send a bad message.  We have a travel potty that's always in the car.  If needed, we pull over, take it out and she goes.  It's not often used, but when she's needed it, it's been great to have.  I also put a cover on her car seat so that if she has an accident, I just need to wash the small cover instead of takign apart the whole seat.  Here are links to what I'm talking about.

Travel Potty

Piddle Pad

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: Toilet Training: Any advice, humorous stories welcome!:
    Somewhere in the thread, I remember a question about car travel.  We do a lot of travelling, and here's what we did in the beginng as once I had her out of diapers, I didn't want her back in them on occasion as I thought it would send a bad message.  We have a travel potty that's always in the car.  If needed, we pull over, take it out and she goes.  It's not often used, but when she's needed it, it's been great to have.  I also put a cover on her car seat so that if she has an accident, I just need to wash the small cover instead of takign apart the whole seat.  Here are links to what I'm talking about. Travel Potty Piddle Pad
    Posted by smileyd

I promise I wasn't raised by wolves, but this reminds me of car trips with my family.  There are a lot of kids in my family and I'm the oldest so I have many memories of car trips with kids in varying stages of diapers/training.  Because there was almost always a kid toilet training, we almost always had a potty with us.  Many times in bumper-to-bumper traffic, beach parking lots, and highway medians that potty came in handy.  I also have memories of my littlest sister using it on the sailboat a few times.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

My DD is in a family daycare, and she started showing interest in using the potty around 18 months. At teh time, she was one of the younger kids in daycare, and loved doing what the older kids did, so when it was potty time, she wanted to participate too. So we got a couple of potties from IKEA, and had them in the bathrooms at home. I would have her sit on the potty in the morning, and throughout the day, like other posters have said, but I wasn't terribly consistent at first - I didn't want to pressure her. But if she was anywhere (home or out and about) and said she needed to go potty, I would rush her to use the potty. 
    DD was opposite of some of the other kids here in that she hated to BM in her diaper/pullup (we switched her to pullups at around 20 months because our daycare provider actually wanted her to be able to pull up/down her clothes by herself, but she wasn't quite there as far as being able to nap dryly. So when we finished with a box of diapers we just bought a box of pullups instead.) SO DD figured out early on how to BM on the potty. I think having a small one that let her keep her feet on the floor was quite helpfull. And Clorox or Lysol sanitizing wipes are great for cleaning out the plastic potties. I like the one piece simplicity.

By the time DD was a little over 2 she was pretty much dry all day in her pullups, and again, being pushed by daycare, we got her into big girl panties. She still wore a pullup at night, until very recently (She is 31 months) She was dry all night, but for several weeks was arguing that she she was a baby and needed a diaper at night. After accidently putting a pullup in the wash about two weeks ago, DH and I decided it was time to get rid of the pullups, so we told her we were all out of pullups and she had to wear underwear to bed. So far it has worked, and we haven't had any nighttime accidents! Which is great since we haven't gotten her to sleep all night in her big girl bed, so she spends at least part, if not all night in our bed. (But that is another story....)
    Hope that helps.

Sections
Shortcuts