Travel Systems...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: Travel Systems...

I wouldnt recommend the travel system, they are huge carriages that are really heavy and take up lots of space.  I would suggest registering for the infant car seat that you like that does hold an infant up to 32 inches and get yourself a light weight stroller and a snap and go so you can keep your baby in the car seat.  I have the Chicco light weight stroller and have nothing but good things to say about it and it reclines all the way back which has been awesome!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4089527

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Make sure you go check it out in person and make sure it fits in the back of your car (not just that you can lift it into the car weight wise).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

The Orbit Baby system is amazing.  We are at 13 months and have just hit the weight limit on the baby seat. We made several long airplane trips back and forth from Europe and around the US and it couldn't have been easier.

The system is extremly durrable, manuvers like a dream and the Orbit baby customer services is great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I have the Chicco travel system and I really love it.  The carriage is wonderful and the push bar is adjustable for different heights and it maneuvers really well.  The downfall to the Chicco is that for a double stroller the car seat does not fit in most of the double strollers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

Thanks Girls!!  I have one more question.  At what size would I be moving a child from the car seat stroller set up to a regular stroller?  ie Would we still be using the snap and go when the child is 32".  I'm just trying to figure out when we will need stuff :).

June-  Thanks for the suggestion, that was exactly what I was looking to hear, and I think the direction we were leaning to go in.

ML-  I drive a crossover so I'm pretty sure trunk space would be an issue, although I'm sure I wouldn't want it taking up all of my cargo space...  So much to think about!!

Sarah-  Thanks for the Orbit suggestion, but wow on the $!!  I'm sure it is worth it, but that is more than we were looking to spend and more than any of our family would probably be spending on us.  I'm jealous :)

KT-  I'll have to check out the chicco travel system, that was one of two brands that Baby Bargains said that if the HAD to choose that would be it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I have a travel system and umbrella stroller, I would say pretty early on, maybe 1.5 months I started talking walks w/DD not in the car seat, I would just recline the stroller and she would lay down.  Anytime I was shopping or something like that she would always be in the car seat and I'd just snap it into the stroller.  Also, I moved DD to a regular car sear at about 6 months.  Although the Chicco car seat held her to up to 22lbs it was really heavy to carry, she looked stuffed in (at 17lbs) and when she had a winter jacket on there was no slack in being able to tighten the car seat.  My point is that I avoided the 30lb weight car seats because I knew that she'd transition to the regular car seat well before 30lbs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

We have the Chicco Cortina travel system and we have been very pleased with it. I am not huge by any means (4' 10", about 110lbs), but I don't have trouble with the stroller. The car seat with the baby is heavy, but any seat with the baby would be heavy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

The Orbit is very expensive brand new but there are some availible on craigslist or ebay for under $600 or even less.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Most of my mom friends told me to skip the travel system, get a snap& go and to use that with the infant seat, then just get an umbrella stroller. 

Naturally, being a first-time mom, I totally ignored them.  :)  Well, kind of -- we really liked the UPPAbaby stroller, so we got that with the adaptor so it can be used as a snap & go when we're taking the car, or I can just use the bassinet for walks around town, and then you put in the regular "stroller" seat when baby is big enough.  I also liked how the second seat is situated (rather than the Phil & Ted's which I see a lot) for when/if we have #2.  

My two cents.  My big brain tells me that the Mom Friends were probably right, but I just hearted the Uppa so. 

You also don't have to decide right now -- an infant car seat and a snap & go will carry you through for a while, and then you can pull the trigger on the travel system if you think it suits your needs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Also, there are many strollers that can take an infant car seat that are sold seperately. I got the Chicco KeyFit carseat and the Chicco Trevi stroller. The carseat snaps right in, so it is just like a travel sysetm, but it was sold as two individual things. That will give you some flexibility if you want a stroller, for walking without the carseat, as well as having something for the carseat. Check out what brands of carseats can fit into the stroller, though, not all of them are interchangeable (Chicco goes with Chicco, Graco with Graco, but the stroller manufacturers that don't make carseats will often fit several, but not always all, brands of carseats)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

My DD is just growing out of her infant car seat, she is almost 7 months but my mistake was not getting the car seat for 32", hers goes up 29" and she is very tall for age I think in the 98th percentile.  You should get almost a year out of your car seat before you would move into the convertible car seat.  I have a Britax Marathon waiting for my daughter to be switched into, it was expensive but from the consumer reports and reviews, I am very happy with my choice, I know she will be super safe!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We loved our chicco travel system. Heavy, yes, but super convenient. The stroller does take up all fo DH's trunk space, so we do have an umbrella stroller that we also use.

I've told friends not to bother with the snug ride 32-by the time the baby is weighing that much, you won't want to carry them in the carrier-and they won't be happy there either.

We ended up moving DS to his convertable car seat around 7 months and he was in heaven when we switched him! so much more room to sit and move. I do miss the ease of just grabbing the seat and running intot he store!

DS at 15.5 months was weighing in at 22lbs, so we technically could have still had him the infant carrier then based on weight, but he was too tall.

If you only plan on one child, then I might spend the $$ on a more expensive system. But if you're considering 2 or more, that might be using the stroller at the same time, then I wouldn't spend lot of $$ on a singleton stroller since you'll have to get another one to accomodate two kiddos.

I have heard feedback that graco makes a better travel system, since you can still use the storage basket with the infant carrier in the stroller where the Chicco one it's difficult since you have to fully recline the seat to put the car seat in place.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I agree wholeheartedly with the PP who said to start with a car seat and snap'n'go and then see what you want as kiddo gets older. 

I'd also point out that very few children will be in the infant carrier for a full year, I'd say 6-8 months is more the average (much to my chagrin the first time around)   But the reality is you won't be wanting to haul your LO around in the carrier as they get heavier anyway - it's an awkward way to haul around 20 lbs!  Even before DD outgrew her seat (it was length for her, not weight) we were taking her out of it more and more often.  I know it's hard to imagine when you think about a newborn!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I don't have first hand experience yet, but a few people have recommended to me that I start with the snap n go and then wait and see for the next stroller so you can try it out with the actual baby.  One of my friends got the Chicco travel system, but for whatever reason their baby's shoulders were super squished in the stroller part when he was only 6 or 8 months old.  So they ended up having to ditch it for a fancy umbrella stroller, so it wasn't worthwhile for them at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I think someone alluded to this, but you don't have to get a travel system to make a travel system.  Almost all Graco strollers (excluding umbrella style) take Graco snugride carseats, whether its the regular old snugride, the 32, the 35 or the safeseat.  So if you like the idea of a travel system but want the snugride 32 or 35, you could just buy the stroller and carseat seperately.  Or, you can get one of the many other brands of strollers out there as someone else suggested that don't make car seats (UPPA, BOB, phil & teds, bugaboo) and get the carseat adapter and make your own travel system.  Personally, I didn't listen to baby bargains and got a Graco Metrolite and Snugride (seperately purchased) for my "out and about stroller" and then I got a BOB with the carseat adapter for my exercise and all terrain walking.  I am pretty happy with the decision.  Yes, there were a few times when I was envious of my friends with the smaller, lighter snap n gos, but to be honest, the Metrolite is pretty light and a total breeze to fold up.  Plus, I could make the "cocoon" of both sun shades when he was in it with his carrier, and then, because it had full recline, I could use it without the carrier and I didn't have to run out and buy an umbrella stroller when he outgrew his carseat.  I still use that stroller for malls, travel, etc b/c I like the storage, snack tray, and parent console.  I actually was randomly given a higher end umbrella stroller (UPPA)  and I have to say, I prefer the slightly bulkier Graco for the most part b/c of the amenities.  I will say this though, I would only get the lightest Graco possible (metrolite at the time) b/c the other models seem HUGE to me.  But again, I have the BOB for all-terrain, so there was no need for me to go king-sized on the Graco.      

Edit:  To avoid confusion about what i wrote, the UPPA umbrella stroller I have is the G Lite.  This is a very light, very portable umbrella stroller but it doesn't recline, so you can only use once baby is like 6 mos.  The UPPA stroller I mentioned above that you can add the adapter onto to make a "travel system" is the Vista, which I don't own but have heard rave reviews about and that's one that you can add the carseat, use the bassinet, or use the stroller seat with.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

We're skipping the travel system and going with the UppaBaby Vista and Chicco Keyfit with the car seat adapter.  The Vista is heavier than a snap & go, but it'll work much better on the nasty sidewalks in my neighborhood. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhime. Show bostonhime's posts

We have the Baby Trend Expedition ELX travel system. It's a jogger stroller. I have a minivan so size is not an issue for me in terms of car space. If you have a compact car I've heard that it takes up alot of space in the trunk.

I love the system. Real rubber wheels. SUPER SUPER easy to fold and unfold. It doesn't seem heavy for me compared to many other systems I've handled. It's really easy to manuever too. The front wheel swivels but you can lock it too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I highly recommend the UPPA Baby Vista!  It's definitely pricey but it is worth every penny.   Don't forget to buy the car seat adapter. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Just nice to see you OCC!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Thanks Lil!  I am sooo happy that you are finally on the pregnancy boards.  I have been checking in to see how you are doing and so glad you are doing well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yay!  OCC!!!  Good to hear from you! 

Brighton, we got the UPPA Vista with the adaptor for our carseat (Graco), too!  My new hobby is accosting UPPA-pushing moms to ask how they like it: universal raves. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

GC, I'm not at that stage yet (not visibly pregnant, so I would just look like a crazy woman), but I'm sure I will be.  I saw a red one in Starbucks and knew I HAD to have it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

My only recommendation - I HATE umbrella strollers.  I'm 5"7' and my stride is too long for an umbrella stroller.  My husband didn't like the bulk of the Baby Trend jogging stroller that we got, but I LOVE that thing!  We have a dog so I wanted something that was good for winter, good for off-road and stable for walking with the dog and the Baby Trend jogging stroller is just that.  We got the Baby Trend flex lock car seat as well - you can get all the pieces separately which was a big plus for me.  The only thing about the jogging stroller is that it doesnt recline all the way to keep an infant flat, but the handle is so comfy and I have plenty of room to store all our stuff in the basket and my feet don't kick the wheels at all.  We got an umbrella stroller for quick trips, but both my husband and I argue over who will push it!  Now that my daughter is nearly 20 months, she can stretch out and actually curled up on her side in the stroller the other day to start a nap.  It's a nice smooth ride for both of us, but because the wheel base is long and the wheels wide, it takes up lots of room in the car.  I can fit my dog and the stroller in the back of my Forester, though, with no complaints from the pup (probably since he knows we're headed for a hike!).  Good luck

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

GC - Does the seat in the Uppa reverse to face the baby forward?  I've only looked at strollers online (going this weekend to look in person) and I think the seat reverses but am not sure...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Poppy, it does.  You just have to unclip the seat and turn it around.  It doesn't have a reversible handle like some strollers do.