Ultrasound - Boy or Girl?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AleeK04. Show AleeK04's posts

Ultrasound - Boy or Girl?

OK, so my husband thinks I'm crazy but I had an ultrasound yesterday. I am 18 weeks and 2 days and the tech said "I think it's a boy". I asked if she was 100% and she said no but she was pretty sure.

The picture on the left is the ultrasound from yesterday.The one on the right is a picture of my son taken at 17 weeks and 4 days. They certainly don't look the same. On the left, I see 3 lines all the same length, however, it's protruding (not flat) But in my sons you can clearly see the bottom and top separately. The turtle! Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AleeK04. Show AleeK04's posts

Re: Ultrasound - Boy or Girl?

Copy and paste link for photo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

I don't see a link, but I can sympathize with your worries.  With my DD the tech said she was 90% sure it was a girl, which I kept second guessing.  I ended up having another ultrasound around 24 weeks and asked the tech to confirm that it was a girl, and she said that it definitely was, so that made me feel better.  I didn't want to fully outfit the nursery in pink, only to be wrong about the gender!  Do you know if you will have another ultrasound where you can ask again?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, we didn't find out if we were having a boy or girl in advance so I don't understand the urgency to find out so far in advance - but it's kind of creepy that you put pictures of your child's in utero genitals on the internet for us all to press our noses up against and examine closely.

We aren't experts, just tell you doctor "I think your having a boy" is not an adequate response and is causing you some anxiety. 

The only way to tell for sure is with an amnio, and I think you are past that window. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ultrasound is imaging by sound waves bouncing back and being processed as a picture of the echo.  Therefore, it's not actually a photograph in the strictest sense, and any movement or slightly different position is going to make a difference in how everything bounces into a visual representation.  Hence the uncertainty.  As ml says, that's that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I guess to reassure you, when I had my 18 week ultra-sound the tech said she thought it was a girl.  She didn't seem all that certain or go into any detail, so I was kind of disappointed.  Well at that practice, a second tech always double checks the measurements, etc., so I asked her if she could try for a better picture and if it was definitely a girl.  She zoomed in and showed me the labia... So in my experience, they know their stuff even if they don't sound all that confident.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

What a world...people discussing up close imaging of baby labia. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from freerocks. Show freerocks's posts

According to the World Health Organization and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report, "It is not clear at this time whether ultrasound fetal monitoring is beneficial to the mother or fetus in terms of pregnancy outcome...If there is no generally acknowledged benefit to the monitoring, there is no reason to expose patients to increased cost and risk.  The question of benefit has not yet been resolved...and the potential for delayed effects has been virtually ignored."

Does it really matter what the genetalia is? Is it really that important that the colors your child wears makes strangers know its gender as such a young age? Especially when they are so far from understanding the concept of boy/girl? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I can completely understand wanting to know, and I think it's extremely judgemental of those who are scolding you about it.

That being said, if the tech was unsure there isn't much you can do about it unless you have another ultrasound. It's not the end of the world if you have to wait to find out. Get a few gender newtral 0-3month outfits and some plain sheets. Skip the bumpers and quilts. Most of it is totally unsafe for baby once he/she can roll. I had boy/girl twins so I needed gender neutral stuff anyway. Just get some plain white crib sheets and lots of waterproof mattress pads. If you need to paint - choose a sunny yellow, pretty green or soft beige for the walls.

Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from freerocks. Show freerocks's posts

If you are talkinga bout me, misslily, I am not scolding. I simply quoted a fact that the WHO has on their website. Then I, like everyone else, gave an opinion.

If you really want to knowthe gender  I am sure you can book into another ultrasound as time passes and perhaps the baby's gender might be more clear as they will be larger. No matter what the gender I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and a happy and healthy delivery and baby.

Sections
Shortcuts