VBAC Experiences?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

Re: VBAC Experiences?

I've never had any children.  But my co-worker had a VBAC with her second.  I asked how she would prefer to have her 3rd (she is 8 mths pregnant now).  She said, without a doubt she would choose vaginal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Trouble, mothering has a lot of stuff about vbacs. It's all very mothering-y but that doesn't mean it's not also true:

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/cesarean-vbac

Contractions REALLY hurt, but other than that vaginal birth isn't so bad. Seeing the baby come out is mind-blowingly awesome. Not so much for my poor husband, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks!  I'll take a look at mothering.com. 

I'm actually more afraid of the pushing part and the after effects "down there."  I've heard all these awful stories about 3rd and 4th degree tearing.  Ouch!!! 

And you know the other reason I lean towards another c-sec?  This is awful - two more weeks of PAID time off. 

But then again, I think we might want even more kiddos, so I wonder just how many c-sec's you can have.  I'll ask my doc all these questions of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

As for how many c-sections you can have, I think it depends on your body.  My cousin was told she shouldn't have more than two.  When I had my second, the doctor said something like, "looking good, we can do this lots of times!"  

Hopefully, you wil find someone who will let try a vbac, if you want one. 

I had my first son at a local hospital, never even considering I would wind up having a c-section.  After 24 hrs of labor, he wasn't dropping down and I was getting a fever, so I had a c-section.  It turned out that my son was 11 lbs 3 oz. and 24 inches long!  Completely shocking to everyone, as they estimated 8 - 8.5 lbs - no wonder he wasn't dropping down.    

My doctor refused to let me try a VBAC the 2nd time, so I switched to a highly recommended doctor at Brigham & Women's.  She said my second baby would likely be big, and also refused to let me try a VBAC.  I was disappointed, but figured she knew better than I.  When he came out, my son's cord was in a loose, but complete knot, which she said could have been very problematic had I had a vaginal birth, so it made me happy, rather than regretful, that I had a 2nd c-section!

I, too, had an easy recovery both times.  I'd say the second was a little easier than the first, with the exception of having to lift/chase a 38 lb. 2 year old. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You can have a zipper put in, like Posh Spice. They just unzip her abdomen and haul out another soccer player every 9 months.

The pushing is exciting! I had an epidural, but they can turn it up and down or something, so I was able to feel the contractions but not the pain, and I could push effectively and feel the baby coming out. I didn't have to be on my back -- I could move my legs to a certain degree (I wouldn't have been able to squat or kneel). I gave birth on my side.

I did tear, but it didn't hurt at the time, and only a bit after. I had quite a few stitches, but they healed quickly. I think that the internal stuff is all back to what it was. The only difference I've noticed is that I no longer get menstrual cramps. I think that my cervix never undialated.

It's no walk in the park, but neither is abdominal surgery. And caring for a toddler after a c-section might be tough too. You should do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, though! I just wanted to say that vaginal birth isn't any scarier than a c-section. And if you do want to try it, it's a lot easier to find an OB or midwifery practice to assist you with a vbac after one c-section than after two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: VBAC Experiences?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks!  I'll take a look at mothering.com.
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

If you're not familiar with mothering magazine, I'm warning you right now -- it's way past crunchy. It's downright crusty. It's too much for me, even, and I'm a total vaginist and really into stuff like babywearing and breastfeeding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: VBAC Experiences?:
    [QUOTE]I've never had any children.  But my co-worker had a VBAC with her second.  I asked how she would prefer to have her 3rd (she is 8 mths pregnant now).  She said, without a doubt she would choose vaginal.
    Posted by Danielle44[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who had a VBAC, too, who said the exact same thing. She vastly preferred the vaginal saying it was much less to deal with after the baby was born.    In her mind, it was no contest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Interesting!  Thanks for the feedback.  Definitely something to think about. 

When I went for my 6 week pp for DD, one of the CNMs who works at my practice said I could definitely do a VBAC next time provided the next baby wasn't breech (of course) and also that there were a certain number of months between deliveries.  But I can't remember what that number was.  I think it was either 11 or 16. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I had a vaginal birth, no C-section, and I used hypnobirthing techniques, no drugs. I didn't have a hard time with the contractions, and I did get a small tear, I had a local anesthetic for the (two) stitches. I recovered from the stitches very quickly.
    I will say, though that it took several months for everything to feel "normal" down there, as far as s-e-x was concerned. It didn't feel uncomfortable, just different. Don't know if that influences your thoughts or not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpalazzolo. Show cpalazzolo's posts

In Response to VBAC Experiences?:
    [QUOTE]Hi! I'm curious if anyone has done a VBAC and could provide me with feedback on the experience.  Are you glad you did?  Do you wish you had done a c-sec again? I had my first child via c-sec due to the fact that she was breech.  I was bummed at the time, but I had a fantastically easy recovery.  Now I feel scared to try a vaginal birth!  So I'm curious what others have done. TIA!
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

I had two C-Sections (1981 and 1983). Then in 1991 I had a VBAC. Though nervious, it was a great experience. I was given an epidural (GREATEST thing I've ever had) so that if something went unexpectedly, I was ready for a fast C-Section.
    No complicatioins, SUPER fast recovery. In short, no regrets and wish you well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjbr. Show pjbr's posts

I had a VBAC and I am so glad I did. The chance of uterine erruption in less than 1% (I think?).  My ob/gyn was totally supportive and of course, doctors can't really say what they prefer, but I could tell she was happy that I chose VBAC. Having a c-section poses more risks. People don't realize that it is major abdominal surgery! I delivered at Newton-Wellesley. I had 12+ hours of labor, and my baby girl was out within 9 minutes.  I would not have done it any other way. The recovery was a breeze which I was thankful for because I have 2 other kiddos.  Good luck in your decision. Don't let anyone sway you-go with your gut!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I have only had 1 natural, vaginal delivery.  I didn't do any epidural or anything.  It was fine.  The contractions hurt a lot but the actual pushing wasn't bad at all. 

My mother had a C-section with me and then had 3 vaginal births afterwards, with my siblings.  Labor with my sister (the firstVBAC) was tough.  It took a while.  Her body didn't want to let the kid out and the doctors were nervous about using Pitocin because it has more risks after a c-section.  But my mum claims vbac was much better than c section.  She said, even with being older and having with multiple kids under 5 years old to take care of and a few vaginal tears, it was easier recovery than from the c section.

But, fair warning, my mother is insane and pretty earthy crunchy.  She was hard-core about the natural childbirth thing and solely breastfeeding, even in the early 80's even before it wasn't quite the thing it is now.