Weirdo Pregnancy Symptoms

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Re: Weirdo Pregnancy Symptoms

Yep, there is definitely some weird stuff that happens with skin coloring during pregnancy (just wait and see if you develop that dark line on your belly).  I had a lot of my freckles turn really, really dark...so much so that I thought they could be skin cancer.  My doctor assured me it was normal and sure enough they lightened up after delivery.  I'm sure pregnancy must affect the melanin in some way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I didn't get the dark belly, but I got the dark spots along my jaw. I kept thinking it was chocolate ice cream. I also got horizontal ridges on my nails.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I have the dark line but I was expecting it.  I feel as if I don't have to shave my legs as much anymore.  I wasn't that hairy to begin with but I feel that I can go longer than usual without a shave..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I have freckles, which I've never had before. I like them, and so does my husband. I'm hoping they stay after the baby arrives.

The joints in my hands hurt. My hips and knees too, but hands? I asked my doctor about it yesterday and she said it was normal, that as bloodflow and body mass increases, the pressure goes everywhere.

The best part is that I am almost never interested in bread - where before I was completely addicted. I'm hoping that also sticks around after the baby arrives.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

A lot of women get pain in their hands and wrists during pregnancy, and it gets really gnarly in the last trimester. My friend had to wear those carpel tunnel thingies for two months.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

ml--I had pain in my hands, too. It was worse than any other joint pain for me. My OB said it was carpal tunnel which is common in pregnancy. Like many other pregnancy related symptoms, it went away after the birth.

I'm currently dealing with post partum weirdness. My normally stick straight hair has developed a definite curl, though not a pretty bouncy curl. It's more like a loose, frizzy curl. Nice, huh? Didn't happen while I was pg, only started a few weeks after delivering.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I was really stinky during the last trimester too. I had to throw away a lot of shirts because even Heloise couldn't save them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

kiwi, hang in there, around 4-6 months post partum, my hair, nails and skin were AWESOME (I was nursing, no idea how that affected the timeline)  Small consolation for the disasterous hairdo I've been sporting since about 8 weeks preg. this time around.

Now that you mention the legs thing, I think that's true for me too, though to be honest I can't get a decent look down there beyond my ankles already... gonna be a long summer!

I had wrist issues last time also, and doc reccomended wearing roller blade wrist guards (cheaper than the CT ones, since you'll only use them for a short time)  All cleared up after baby arrived

It's interesting how different 2 pregnancies can be.  I looked at 26 week photos last night from DD (now 27 mths) and I was bigger all over - my belly wasn't as pronounced, but I was just generally more round... this time I am all belly, and it's kind of teardrop shaped, but I haven't gained much anywhere else yet... not to mention daily heartburn this time and a lot of aches and pains I didn't have last time.  Hope it's not indicative of what the new baby's personality will be like, cause DD is an easy kid overall - much like she was in utero.  Going for my glucose screen in a half hour or so!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bare Escentials makes a fantastic eye brow kit.  Get "medium blonde" and you won't look so "astonished."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I may have to.  It's weird -- I've been on the look-out for the darkening so I'm pretty careful with sunscreen but the hyper-sensitivity to the sun was suprising. 

Thanks, though.  This post is ... reassuring?  Terrifying?  Not sure which. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My eyebrows didn't lighten, but they got really long. I looked like Gandalf.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I JUST HAD TO TRIM MINE last night!!!!  That's so funny.  I mean, I guess. 

Also, some of my eyebrows have apparently decided to retreat, pull back, and migrate south, to my CHIN.  B*stards. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Unlike some people here (grumble grumble) I experienced an increase in overall hair growth. By which I mean that it looked like I was wearing hair overalls. Waxing became increasingly painful as the pregnancy progressed too, and I had to stop getting brazilians around the 8th month. I couldn't see it by then anyway, so whatever.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

You confirm my brewing suspicion re: the trip to South America, so thank you.  I'd already made the switch from my super-good (and, ahem, thorough) and super-cheap South End place to Elizabeth Grady as, my God, it's a world of difference, pain-wise.  But I'm worried even that may become too much. 

My poor husband.  I wonder if he knew what he was getting into with all this ... he was all worried the other night b/c I am normally not a close & lock bathroom door girl, but I was locked in there like I was planning a prison break, hunting for chin hairs.  He's knocking, all concerned, and I'm borderline hysterical: I'M FINE!  GO AWAY!  I'm FINE!!!!  (then, desperately, I'm p**ping!!!, to which he said, now I know you're lying ... apparently, I'm quite stinky). 

If it's any consolation, while the body hair I would LIKE to keep visible and as-is (eyebrows) is rapidly becoming invisible, the stuff you pay a lot of money/spend time removing is going like gang-busters. 

The whole hair thing can be filed under "Insult to Injury" -- a chapter in my mental book on this whole process, which would be soooooo much better than Girlfriends' Guide, cannot even tell you. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Since we're sharing weird symptoms (and I hear you all about the irrational hair growth - I have to shave twice as often, yet the hair on my head is not getting any thicker!), for the past few days I've had awful gas pains.  Gas pains are nothing unfamiliar to me, but I usually get them in the normal place - lower abdomen.  The past few days, I seem to be getting these pains in my COLON (at least, that's where it feels like the pain is).  It's incredibly painful!  I feel like I'm in labor and about to deliver out my colon.  Sorry if TMI.  Anyone else experience this?  It causes me to have to stop talking in the middle of sentences, and what am I supposed to say in explanation?  "Sorry, having some butt pain, hang on..."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Hair where you don't want it AT ALL  ....yeah, check.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

GC-  I am not pg but do similar things and when my DH walked in while I was getting a few stray eyebrow hairs he asked what I was doing.  I just looked at him in a deadpan voice with my tweezers in hand said "maintenance" and then finished and he just walked away.  And now when I need a moment or two I just say I am going to do some "maintenance" and he just shakes his head and says that girls are weird. Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

lemonmelon -- completely laughed out loud that you thought it was chocolate ice cream!
    For me, it actually would have been chocolate ice cream.

I agree about the extra hair (I have nice blonde sideburns now).  And, while we're at it, the other night I knocked over a beer that was on the coffee table with the hem of my skirt... because I couldn't see it below my belly.
    And then I couldn't even see what had happened!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

IPW I hear you- in our labor and delivery class last week, the instructor was talking about how they get bigger and darker in relation to the "pale surrounding skin" to be like targets for our nearly blind newborns and DH laughed!! (Like in a "oh yeah- huge targets!!" kind of way). I actually think that mine look more like radiating suns or something- with all the stretch marks...

and with the hair thing- lots more on my head (but all about an inch long, so it really helps with the sexy look- they stick straight up) and I have just gotten lazier about shaving, figuring any remaining s-e-x appeal is completely gone anyway... but I also found this really long, like an inch long, arm hair. weirdest thing. so I cut it and it grew back.  What is that??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Have s-e-x now while you can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Sigh ... confirming what I had suspected, Lemon.  Sort of a "last gas for 300 miles" type of thing?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

lemon- this is probably TMI but I totally am... I think that the whole pregnancy weirds out DH more than me. However, we are both too wiped during the week to do anything remotely fun in that department, so I shave on Friday nights...  Smile

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from QMLB. Show QMLB's posts

Thank you for the early morning laugh, ladies.  My kids are 9 and 5 now and I find myself looking back fondly on some of those weird symptoms. 

Here's what I can tell you about being 5 years out.  My ni99les are still HUGE, but much lighter in color.  Eyebrows, normal.  Gas, normal.  Ur1ne, well, I cross my legs when I have to sneeze.  The few renegade chin hairs have unfortunately started their own colony.  I wax every other week and have my husband perform maintenance on any strays that I can't quite reach. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't know whether to be thrilled or frightened that I have you ladies to prepare me for pregnancy :o)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Fram - I do have to say that I wish when I was struggling with infertility for 2+ years, someone would have mentioned some of the crappy stuff about pregnancy to me, it might have made me feel better at the time.

My first trimester I was SO SO sick, I felt like I had been lied and tricked into wanting pregnancy and a baby so badly.

At this point, I'll do whatever is necessary and put up with anything to have a healthy baby, but consider yourself warned! Laughing