What did you feel in the days before labor?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: What did you feel in the days before labor?

I had to pee constantly, I had stabbing pains in my cervix, my mucus plug loosened, and my hips ached. But believe me, when you go into labor you'll know it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never known anyone to miss it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

LOL I was afraid of that too!

about 10 days before my due date, I hadn't felt a thing, not a B-H, not a cramp, nothing and I was totally convinced DD would be late.  I went in for my weekly appointment, on a Thursday, and the doc said "Oh my, this baby is coming this weekend!"  I was already starting to efface and dialate!  Sure enough, around 10pm on Sunday night I started getting some contractions (though honestly, wasn't sure that was really them initially, though it didn't take long)... we tried staying awake to time them, and ended up setting the alarm for 2 am... just before 2, I got up and my water broke - DD arrived Monday night around 9 pm.

This time around I feel like DS is puhing on my pelvis all the time and must surely be ready (he's not, I am still at 34 weeks) but my back aches constantly and I've been having B-H for months already, so you never really know how things will progress, everyone and each pregnancy is different.  Just do your best to relax and enjoy the ride!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

The day before I went into labor was the first time I had braxton hicks. Day I went into labor I felt totally normal-except for the fact that I was desperate to have the baby! But no signs of labor at all.

Then when labor started, there was no missing it. I denied it for about an hour, saying this can't really be it. After an hour and contactions were coming every 2 min I finally gave in and woke DH up (I went into labor at bedtime). My labor was also faster than the doctors and nurses and every book said would be for a first time Mom.

I think the only people that miss the fact they're in labor are the women who don't know they're pregnant-not that I understand how they haven't figured it out after 10 months...but that's a different story. 

If you lost your mucus plug, I would say you're not "too" far from labor-meaning within the next week. Do you know if you're dialated yet? ( I was closed up tight as a clam until I went into labor-I wasn't one of the ladies that was 1-2 CM for a week...so if you're not dialated at all, it doesn't mean you've got weeks left.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

great question- I have been wondering this myself, with the number of BH I have been experiencing... I am wondering if I will miss it (not all of it, but I didn't even notice the BH for weeks... so I am not convinced I will recognize the difference between the two right away.)  So, when I have contractions, particularly during dinner, DH gets all excited.

memes- that is so exciting that you may be so close!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

My water broke at 9:30pm and for me there was no confusion as to what was happening. It wasn't a big gush like in the movies, but a constant stream that got worse after sitting down for anything. I also felt a distinct pop before the flow started. I really had no noticeable contractions leading up to that. That day, though, I was exhausted (took 2 naps), had worse heartburn than I had ever had throughout the pregnancy, and had a very large "movement" that cleared things out. Looking back on it, my body was telling me something all day that day!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Thanks everyone....it is nice to hear everyone's stories and gives me clues of what to watch for!

Oh, I should have mentioned that I have been having BH contractions all the time for about a month now.  So, that combined with the cramping I have had lately makes me nervous that I won't know when it is actually labor!  I have heard that real labor contractions feel like period cramps....do you also get the tightening that is felt with the BH contractions?

To answer your question KAM....I have not been checked yet, so don't know about the dilation.  At my practice, their policy is to not check you until your due date.  I have an appointment on Thursday though, and may ask to be checked anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

I'm still not entirely sure when my labor really started:) I lost my mucous plug, had the bloody show and started having contractions on a Wednesday. I didn't actually deliver until early Saturday morning. Between Wed and Sat, there were several episodes of my contractions lessening in frequency and intensity for hours at a time. They pretty much stopped for 2 or 3 hours even after I was 5 cm dilated and admitted at the hospital. Epidurals can stall labor but I hadn't had one yet since I had intended to do a medication free birth (didn't work out, sadly).

The process started out feeling like generalized period cramps (no tightening) and by the end of the first day, the crampiness "formed" into regular intervals and it finally dawned on me that they were contractions. Up until then, I'd never had any BH and had felt totally fine.

I knew it was time to go to the hospital when I could no longer walk or talk through the contractions. Even though I was in denial to some extent, something was obviously going on. You'll know:)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

It took me awhile to actually know for sure that I was in labor.  I called the hospital with my symptoms too and they told me it sounded like I was in the stages before labor.  They also told me that the pain could stop and I may not go into labor yet.  So at least to me it wasn't all that clear that I was in labor.

I went into labor on my due date.  In the 2-3 days before I started feeling a pain in my pelvis area right around 6 PM right before I was getting ready to leave work.  I would go home and lay down flat and the pain would subside.  I didn't think it was a sign of labor just thought it was from sitting at a desk all day.

The day before labor the same thing happened. Also, I left work and felt this awful pain behind my knee.  Really bad to the point I thought what if this is a sign of labor?  I went home and laid out flat again.  The pain behind my knee went away but the pain in my pelvis never did.  I was starting to feel the pain periodically.  Tried to go to bed that night but I kept waking up from the pain. The pain was bad but not intolerable. The location was very low which made me question whether it was a contraction.  Plus I never felt Braxton Hicks contractions ever during my pregnancy. Next day I started timing the pain coming and going thinking they must be contractions but was still unsure because of the location - it was really low in my pelvis.  Also that night I also had some wet discharge and bloody discharge but wasn't sure if it was my water starting to leak and the mucous plug.  Called the hospital and explained all this - twice - and they told me it sounded like pre-labor and I may not go into labor. They also didn't think it was the plug.  The timing of the contractions were inconsistent too.  Finally after 24 hrs had passed since I started feeling this pain I decided to go to the hospital after deciding it had to be labor. It seemed close to what people describe but wasn't exactly textbook.  Good thing I did b/c I was 4 cm and went to 8 cm in the first hour I was there. 

So maybe I was stupid or in denial or the hospital just led me astray but just another perspective where it wasn't that clear and where my symptoms were a little different than what people had been telling me would happen.

Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

I have nothing to add but that it's really helpful to read everyone's stories.  I'm due tomorrow and have been wondering the same thing as memes.  I've had mild pelvic pain for the past couple of days but nothing else.  I'm just waiting.  I just wish I knew when it would begin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I know of one person who didn't know when she went into labor - a friend of mine had back labor and NO ONE had told her about back labor - no doctors, nurses, classes, books (she read everything), or friends.  So she was having strange back pain and finally called her doctor, concerned, who said she'd better get to the hospital because she was in labor!  I can't believe no one told her about this possibility.  And it wasn't like this was during the dark ages in the boonies - it was 6 years ago, and her doctor was in Hartford, CT!

But it seems most people here know about it, so I'm not too worried about any of you.  :)

Oh - I also know someone who didn't realize her water had broken, because it was a slow trickling, as opposed to a huge gush, so she was confused and did eventually call her doctor. 

And I swear these are very intelligent women - things just didn't happen as they were told to expect them to happen!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

The moral of the story is that EVERYONE'S labor is different. No matter how many people tell you what happened to them, yours will not be the same as theirs. I wanted to hear every story before I had DD and looking back, mine was completely different. My water broke, so there was no turning back from there. I did initially think that I just peed a little. The way I describe how it happens "in real life" (as opposed to on TV) is that it's like one of those sugar dispensers in a diner. You tip it upside down and a serving of sugar comes out. Then you have to turn it rightside up to be able to turn it upside down again and get more sugar out... I would sit down and it would be fine, then stand up and a little gush over and over. I would have some maxi pads on hand in case your water breaks. I had midwives who didn't want me at the hospital until I was contracting regularly (24 hours later), so I needed lots of pads. In the meantime, we went to the movies and walked and walked and walked and walked.

Let me say this from someone who made the mistake for you: do not take Castor oil. It's nasty, just makes you p00p, burp Castor oil flavored burps and will ruin the taste of whatever food or drink you ingest it with FOREVER. I had to throw away the bottle recently when I found it in the cabinet because it made me gag when I saw it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

My thoughts exactly - everyone's labor is different and the pain is different for everyone too.  Everyone kept saying you will know when you are in labor b/c of the pain but I really didn't.  My pain was not that bad.  It was more of a discomfort.  I have a friend who did a full days work from home while she was in labor b/c the pain wasn't that bad.  They also say you are ready to go to the hospital when you can't speak.  Well I didn't arrive at that point until I was 8 cm.  They also tell you not to go to the hospital til you are 5 min apart.  When I got to the hospital and they hooked me up they told me I was getting contractions every 3 min.  I was feeling them every 10 minutes at that point.  I think ultimately you will know when it's time to go but it may not be what you expect.  And if you turn out to be wrong and they send you away well I think it's better to be sure than to be on the highway when the baby is ready to come out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It looks like we will have some birth announcements soon!  Good luck to those who are past due/due soon!

I have heard the term back labor, but haven't gotten around to looking it up.  What does it mean?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Back labor is labor pain in your back. Most people feel their contractions in their abdominal area, but other lucky ones feel it in their abdominal area as well in their back. My DD was face up when she was born which is the reasons I had back labor.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram - my friend had ONLY back labor - no labor/contraction pain in her abdominal area.  Her story was that she was sitting getting a pedicure and experiencing intermittent back pain: "My back hurts!" - "Oh, wait, it's fine now." - "My back hurts again!" - "Ok, it's fine now."  If it had been in the "normal" area (abdomen) she would have instantly figured out "contractions!" but since it was her back, it didn't even occur to her!  Just thought it was another strange pregnancy symptom (albeit on or around her due date...)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from murfman. Show murfman's posts

I'm so glad you posted this...I'm 35 weeks w/ twins and have been having BH since I was 9 weeks pregnant. I've now moved into the real contractions, but no pattern most of the time, and nothing much else moving along. I've already been to L&D twice with contractions 5 minutes apart, and been sent home. Now they're telling me to call if anything changes -- kind of vague guidelines! I'm feeling the same way, afraid that I won't know when the real thing begins :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I'm re-reading this and thinking about my own symptoms.

I'm just 37 weeks today, but over the last few days I feel like I've mutated into a wild animal - I just want to eat meat and sleep, and I can't seem to do ANYTHING (fold laundry, hold a conversation, walk from point A to point B, etc.) The baby is not particularly active over the last couple of days and I'm starting to think the baby is coming sooner rather than later.

What do you think, I'll be going early, or I'm going to be a cranky, sleeping, ornery, hungry mess for the next three weeks or so?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

ML don't know what to tell you other than I'm right there with you :)  Happy thoughts!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Exactly, all labors are different :) I felt absolutely nothing until that first mild contraction and I had the baby 6 hours later.