What is your baby name criteria?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: What is your baby name criteria?

ml--good luck with the whole name discussion. Ours went pretty easily, although we each nixed each other's first choices when we first discussed names before we knew the gender. (I liked August for a boy--nickname of Gus-- and he wanted Siobhan for a girl.) We were pretty much on the same page as you and your DH, and in the end using family names became our first priority. We named DS after his two grandfathers, first name is my dad's and middle name is DH's stepfather's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We're not expecting yet, but we've talked about making sure the first name sounds good with the last.  No rhyming.  No strange words created by putting them together.

Bethany Anthony, bad
    Bethany Jones, good

Diah Bolical, bad
    Diah Smith, still bad but I can't think of a better example

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We are going for something classic that doesn't date.  Also, I like it to have a lot of nickname variations. 

So if we have a girl, it'll be Elizabeth (nicknames Beth, Liz, Libby, Betty, etc).

For a boy we are not as certain.  Batting around Edward (Eddie, Teddy, etc) and Robert (Robbie, Bobby, etc). 

I also like William but a good friend wants to name her son that if she does have a son or ever gets married!  LOL.  I feel like Monica on friends!  Did you see that one?  When Rachel names her daughter Monica's chosen girls name.  hehe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Ah, naming...it's tough!

1. We had to find a name that all family members could pronounce, with my in-laws not speaking English, it was a tough one.
    2. Represent both DH and my ancenstry
    3. Meaning of the name was big with us too.
    4. We also didn't want a super popular name, and wanted something that people here in the states can pronounce.

Then we ended up with DS's name, which was orignially going to be his middle name, it was the easiest pick for us, a great name in DH's language, and similar to my ancestry.

Our final naming structure went like this:
    DH's name means "wise king" (his name is difficult to pronounce here in the states.)
    DS's name means "intelligent little king"

We ended up, kinda, naming DS after DH but in a way that all family can pronounce DS's name. BUT DS' name is spelled closely to a very popular boy's name, so those who don't know him miss pronounce it. oh well!

We figure DS can chose to pronounce it however he likes when he grows up, or go with his middle name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

This is a tricky thing for me.  My DH is a number child meaning he, his father and grandfather all have the same name.  He wants to name a potential son the same way to carry on the number tradition.  I am torn, while I like DH's name it is freakin' confusing when we go to a large family thing, and often DH's name and say 'My NNN' and his father as "Big NNN".  And I wonder if we have two sons (we would like two children) will the second boy feel slighted?  Perhaps a silly concern but one that I have none the less.  And if we do have a son and he carries on the number tradition will he feel saddled with the name? I know I kind of feel saddled by DH's name and it isn't even mine.  I have talked to him about my reservations with carrying on the tradition and well we are still undecided but that is not a problem at the moment as at this point there is no 9 month deadline looming.

We are keeping a list of names that we like for both girls and boys and there are some that we just rule out because we don't like them for whatever reason.  We are also of the mind to make sure that the initials don't spell something bad, and we like traditional/common spellings for names.

And I must confess I always wanted a specific girl name but it is my MIL's name and I just cannot do that. I love my MIL but I just cannot use her name.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Also check that any nicknames sound good with the last name. We considered Gabriel, which sounded fine with a B. last name, but "Gabe B" was hard to pronounced so we nixed it.

We also nixed any names that were names of old boyfriends and girlfriends!

Also, I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't believe in using or not using a name just because someone else I know used it or thinks they might use it someday. We chose the name we liked and when friends were considering the same name said "It's a great name! Have at it!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

ML - My friend's husband went one step further than no gender neutral names and said he would not entertain any "it's a girl, it's a boy, it's a dog" names.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Ha Ha! sunshinemrs! I love the not a dog's name, because a friend of a close friend of ours named her son our dog's name! Admittedly, we named our dog after a character played by Keanu Reeves (whom I felt in this particular role had the intelligence of a golden retriever) but it still weirds me out every time I hear her talk about him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

We've known what our first boy's name will be since we were dating: first name is my dad's name, middle name is my husband's grandfather.  They're the two men who have had the greatest impact in our lives, and the name sounds pretty good together too!

Girls are so much harder.  I am a big fan of names that are classic, and that can have nicknames.  And we have eliminated the possibility of a name ending in "a" since our last name ends in "a" and it tends to sound weird. 

We talk about names a lot, and are building our girl list.  We already agreed that we don't want to know the baby's gender until his or her birthday, so it's fun to imagine what the possibilities are. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scf79. Show scf79's posts

For us, it couldn't be a name that would sound ridiculous in 70 years (of course, many popular names now might not sound as silly then, but I still grimaced at the thought of naming our baby with a cutesy name).  We knew we were having a girl, and went with a variation of a popular classic name, but a few months after she was born, I saw her name on a list of "vintage" names.  Um ... it's really NOT old-sounding. Go figure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Scorpio, My DH is a III, so I get what you are saying. I might be open to it, if we could use his middle name as the baby's nickname, but DH's middle name is my nephews name, so it's not really an option.

I guess luckily, DH did not have a good relationship with his dad and doesn't have much interest in continuing the naming trend.

Kargiver - good call on the name sounds. My husband has kind of a trick last name that leaves out many traditional options - James, and Charles and Robert (my dad's name) among them. 

Miss Jones- I've been sweating my family members using my baby girl name for years now. If I can just make it through the next 5 months (and give birth to a girl) I'll be all set, but I know what you mean!

IPW - Ironically, "my" baby girl name is so popular right now I am having severe misgivings. But at this point, I can't even imagine a different name for my daughter- hard as I try.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

We have not even discussed names yet, as my DH is having the "first trimester superstition" and wants to wait.  Of course, I have my own list that I've been building since before I was pg!  I have 2 girlfriends who are also pg and we've agreed not to discuss names with each other just in case we are thinking of the same name - we don't want anyone to feel guilty about a name choice.

I'm having a pretty easy time coming up with girls names I like, but having a tough time with boys... I'm not a big fan of any of my family names, and all of the boys name I've ever really liked are already used by close friends!  I don't know if I'd use one of those.  And sunshinemrs - one of the boy names I like the most was the name of my friend's dog (who they had to give up for various reasons)! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Our naming convention is pretty much what everyone here has mentioned, plus: the name must be "real" in both genesis and spelling; must not sound too yuppie/to-the-manor-born (no Tuppers or Worthington Kents or what-have-you) cannot end in an "i" for a girl (sorry, anyone i-ending names); must have a nickname available; first name is our choice, middle will be a family name.  And by family I mean "MINE" as they will have DH's family name from the get-go.   

Having said that, DH and I have agreed on both first & middle names since before we were even married (I went through an awful planning phase at one point; it's a wonder he stuck around), but I'm having doubts about the boy's name.  We both loved it and still do, but in recent months a friend has named her son the same name, we moved into a new house and one of the boys next door has the same name, and I keep hearing/seeing it everywhere ... like the PB Kids catalogue, which is my "it's overplayed" red flag.  Sigh.  Thing is, we don't agree on any other boys names. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I wish you'd all take a page from Trouble30's book and out with the names, already. Trying to guess is giving me a headache.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You guys all know about the Social Security Baby Names database, right? It can help you weed out too-popular names, and also find other similar ones. For example, if you like "Emma" but it's too popular, you can look at when it was last hugely popular -- the 1880s -- and check out other names from that decade, like Vera or Beulah (just kidding on Beulah though). Actually, the 1880s was a pretty wild time for baby names. Sophronia? Octavia?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We named our boy/girl twins Aloysius and Merle.

Just kidding. Someone did, though. 1880s.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

LOL Lemonmelon!  I was wondering the same thing!  This board is

anonymous anyway - what does it matter if you spit out some names you are considering?  That's what I figure anyhow. 

But if any of you take my names I will hunt you down!!!  Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from austengirl. Show austengirl's posts

Boys Name will probably be a combination of family names with a small variation.  Very classic sounding.
    Girls we are very torn...
    1) no name already used in the family
    2) no name of past relations (bye bye rachael)
    3) no name that is everywhere (there goes a few choices)
    DH likes more glamourous sounding names and I like plain names
    Must be cute on a girl but also be pictured on a business card in the future and not a (stripp*r's biz card)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

We have a few criteria for our name
    1.  Has to be a different first letter than the first letter of our last name, our last name begins with an R and it's just a really strong letter so a RR name just sounded too harsh and matchy
    2.  I would prefer a 1-2 syllable first name, as our last name is 3, and it just starts getting long (although I am flexiable on this one)
    3.  A family name for the middle name
    4.  Do not want any super trendy names, but do not want an obscure name.
    5.  No funny spellings of a name

For girls right now we are thinking Peyton, Cadence, Kelsey

We're having a much harder time with boys, so far I think the only ones we are slightly in agreement on are Bryce and Seth

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for the SS site info, Lemon.  Of course, the two girls names I like most right now are polar opposites - one is ranked 829 for 2008 and doesn't even appear again until 1964 (Matilda, with a nickname of Milly or Milla) and the other is 58th and has been very popular over the past few years (Zoe).  The two boys names I like most right now are also in top 100 (Henry and Aiden). 

Of course, I might change my mind about liking those tomorrow. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, duh -- I wasn't even trying to be cagey, am just spacy.  These are the names I like: 

Boys: Connor (DH's vote), Beckett, Baylor (I am alone on this one), Blake, Rory, Parker.

Girls: Abigail (DH's vote), Margaret, Brooke, Eleanor (totally alone on this one and my sister has told me she will KILL me if I even think about it, but I love it so), Olivia (DH has nixed this as well). 

I think we could have up to two girls and one boy without me having to attempt the "my va[jayjay], my call," guilt trip. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

a friend of mine with 3 now teenaged daughters offered this advice:  how does it sound with "Supreme Court Justice" in front of it?  Like SCJ Mary Smith... not to pressure the kid or anything but I thought it was a good test, if it works for that, she's probably all set for any kind of professional career

We didn't find out if DD was a boy or a girl until she arrived - DH was SO convinced she was a HE that we didn't have a girl name picked out until about 2 weeks before her arrival!  This time, we ARE having a boy :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EZola. Show EZola's posts

Antimony79 --you're spitting in the face of comic book tradition by shunning the first initial/last initial matchup! How can your child ever be Spiderman if he is not first Peter Parker?

You guys might also like Nymbler -- you type in names you like and it gives you matches. I spent AGES on that site. Didn't find anything I liked, but had SO much fun.

A great cautionary website is Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing. I laugh just thinking about it! They have a section titled When You're in Love, the Whole World is Welsh.

I think that Elizabeth is the perfect name. It's dignified, the name of queens, and it has almost unmatched nickname potential. Unfortunately, I have a horrible sister named Elizabeth and although I don't associate her with the name (she goes by a nickname) I know that everyone would assume I named my kiddo after her. No way.

I wanted to name our daughter Jane. My husband thought that was the most boring name ever-- he wanted "Jersey." AS IF! We ended up naming her Theodora (we call her that, or Theo, or Teddy). We're just as pleased with it as can be -- it really suits her -- but of course my mom thinks we've done her a grave disservice and mutters darkly about her future being compromised by an overabundance of letters while the Bobs and Adas of the world surpass her. Which just goes to show that no matter what you do, someone out there is just dying to tell you that it's a mistake, so you might as well name the kid something you like and tell them all to stick it. Your kid will probably go to school with a bunch of Murgatroids and Degobas and Plas'Tiques anyway, so you'll have to really work at it to name them something too embarrassing. One of my friends has SIX names on her birth certificate -- her hippie parents let her choose her favorite when she "came of age." And she's doing quite well for herself, no harm done. Well, she does emote a lot. But it's charming.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ezola - I cannot tear myself away from that Bad Baby Names site.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EZola. Show EZola's posts

I know -- it's so good it brings tears to my eyes. I want to find the author and force her to hang out with me. Did you read the entry for Abeus yet? I think it's my favorite. 

Sections
Shortcuts