What is your baby name criteria?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Re: What is your baby name criteria?

That is nice, but it still doesn't seem like a nickname at all.  More power to the people that use Jack for John, you will never convince me that it makes sense. 

My FIL is called Jack by his mother (who has now passed) and his siblings but no one else.  Everyone else calls him John, it can be very confusing.

If it helps I still don't get how Besty can be a nick name for Elizabeth or Meg or Peggy for Margaret.  It is how I role.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It doesn't make sense, but you can often assume anyone who goes by Jack has a given name of John (not Jackson).

P.S.  My theory is that oftentimes John is a passed down name so the son, father, grandfather...were all named John in many families.  So, it got confusing.  And, what do you shorten John to???  It became tradition to call at least one of the men Jack.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

hee you go:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/513387/nicknames_how_john_became_jack_and.html?cat=37

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

@Kar that is interesting but in my experince not true and perhaps that influences my dislike of the use of Jack as a nickname of John.  In my experience Jack was either Jack (used as a given name I grew up in an area with a lot of Germanic influence) or shortened from Jackson.

@lemon thanks for that link. It does help explain why John is Jack etc but I still don't like it!Surprised

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mastermou. Show Mastermou's posts

Classic names that were not too popular, but not weird. Edward and have always called him Teddy (or Ted now that he's 21) and Alexandra, called Alix. But 6 months after we had Alix, my brother in law bought a female dog and named her Alex. I didn't know what to think about that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Sarah--I know your son's name is uncommon, but he is the THIRD boy with that name that I know of within the last few years.  One is the son of someone I used to work with, one is the son of someone in my MOT group, and then, of course, yours.  There may be pre-printed personalized items in his future!

I'm actually surprised that so many people identified with my comment.  I thought for sure I'd be told I was a nutjob for even bringing that up as a consideration.  It IS much easier to get things personalized these days, and like I said, it's usually not traumatic...just a phase kids go through and it seems important at that time.

John vs. Jack:  I have an uncle whose given name is Reginald John.  He has always gone by "Jack."  I didn't even know his given name until I was looking at a family tree in my late teens and asked my mother who Reginald was.  She rolled her eyes and told me that's Jack's real name and she didn't know what my grandparents were thinking naming a kid Reginald.

I also have a cousins named Yonkel and Diehl. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We don't have reply todya? 

Anyway, that's an interesting nickname article and makes a lot more sense than my theory!

Scorpio, funny how we have totally opposite experiences with that nickname. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I missed Sarah's son's name. Let me guess -- was it Declan? that's what we were going to name our daughter if she was a boy. Now I find little Declans everywhere I go.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I hate to bash other people's baby names, but I've been reading the polls on babycenter.com and the names are just awful!!!  They're either super duper trendy or they sound like stripper names. 
    I won't name any names so as to avoid offending anyone, but I get so excited when there's a poll with names like Kevin and Andrew.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emma143. Show emma143's posts

My name is Emma, my DH's name is Edward. We are having twin boys, and are keeping with the whole 'E' theme. They will be Ethan and Evan.

Some say it is silly, but we love it. If they were girls, they would have been Elizabeth and Erin, and if it were a boy and a girl, it would have been Ethan and Erin. Yeah, we had everything planned out!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

It was a lot easier when people didn't give dogs people names.  Nothing like hearing someone at the park holler for Timothy and realize they're talking to the dog.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Emma - I think that is cute.  I have a friend whose family is all R's.  Another friends family is A, B, C, D.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Our last name is a common one so we are canceling out a lot of my all-time favorites for boy names because they sound too common aka fake to really work.  We never really agreed on boy names last time except for the middle name which is a family name (good thing we had a girl!).  Our one criteria this time is that we go with a name that can be used without a nickname.  Our daughter is Margaret and we call her by her full name, no nickname.  It was actually my husband who said that he likes that and thinks it is classy and so we are only thinking of names that we wouldn't want to nickname.  We have a ton of girl names we both like, but the boy names are still hard!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Hotcinnababy - Margaret is my name as well (although I use a NN), I've grown to like it more and more as I get older.

Emma - I have friends with two boys, Evan and Ethan. Nice names, I wouldn't mind using either of them myself.

We are still having trouble with names. This honestly has been the thing I've worried about most (and aren't I lucky for that!). I am not in love with any of our chocies, some just instinctively feel more-right, if that makes sense.

And Fram - I've been lurking over in the baby names forum in iVillage and I have to agree with you. I posted a couple of times because we really don't want to share names with the family, and here isn't exactly the place either. But then I starting thinking, um, these people have horrible taste, why would I take advice or suggestions from them?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Good point ML!!  I did post a poll because it's kind of fun, but I don't think I'd really let it affect my decision.  Might help eliminate a name or two.
    For some reason I have about 6 boy names on my mind and only 2 girl names; maybe it's a sign!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I'm right up there with you cinnababy and ml - having difficulty with names, especially boy names.  I'm starting to look at it as, whatever name we choose, I will love it because I love the bean.  Takes a bit of the pressure off... but it would still be nice to have a definitive name in mind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

What do you think of a girl with the initials SLT?

I guess I wouldn't monogram anything.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wouldn't think anything of SLT unless it was pointed out specifically.  'Course kids aroung age 12 would, but I'd not avoid my favorite SL combo just because of that.  It's a short phase where it could possibly matter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

When you monogram something it wouldn't be SLT, it would be STL

First initial LAST INITIAL Middle initial

If you are doing the monogram of a couple say Jane and Frank Smith it would be :  JSF

In both cases, for the individual or the couple the Last intial is in the middle and it is the largest (this is somewhat optional) letter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My girlfriend's initials are LSD and she loves it - signs everything that way, LOL!  Not sure about SLT though... I wonder really how much kids tease about things like initials. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

When I was growing up, my name was very uncommon and was a boy-OR-girl name. 

I really hated it.....it contributed to my shyness and lack of self-confidence growing up.

I wished with all my heart that I had a "normal" name like all the other kids.  I really did miss being able to have personalized barrettes, etc.

I think it's important that you name your child something that will not cause problems unnecessarily, i.e. gender or spelling or pronunciation.  I wish my parents had.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

For you girls, that want to call your children by full name - just wait until your children start school. We started out wanting it that way and we are still calling our boys by their full name. But as far as other people, we had to give it up. Edward becomes Ted, Michael becomes Mike, Nicholas becomes Nick, Margaret becomes Peggy, Catherine - Cathy etc. There is not much you can do to avoid it.

ETA. My friend's grandaughter's initials are A.S.S. and my niece's twin girls' are A.M and P.M. Smart thinking. Huh?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Well Pingo it doesn't have to be that way.  My nephew Peter goes by Peter not Pete or Petey, niece Katherine goes by Katherine and not a shorter version of the name, my other niece goes by Anna not Ann or Annie.

And I have three other nieces that do go by shortented names of Abby, Suzy, and Lainey.  It really all depends on several factors.  With my nephew and nieces it happened because their parents always use their given name and not a nickname and the child themselves wanted the full name.  The other three were called their shortened names and I have asked them if that is what they want to be called and they said yes.  And I don't know of a teacher that doesn't ask a child what they want to be called.

And like Cos I hated my name growing up. To this day I do identify with it and my hate has calmed down to a strong dislike.  I prefer when people do use a nickname and I am so glad that my DH very rarely uses my actual name.

That being said I don't know that parents can win; a Jennifer may hate their name because everyone is named Jennifer and a Ronda may not like her name because she cannot find anything personalized and people constantly misspell her name and put an 'h' in it.  So parents give the name some thought and then do what you think is best. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Naming laws in various countries:
    http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/59277

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Fram, that's great.  I wonder what the "adequate justification" was for the approved "Number 16 Bus Shelter".

Sections
Shortcuts