What to Expect after the Hospital

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

What to Expect after the Hospital

It seems to me that women talk more openly about what goes on during pregnancy, but not necessarily what happens afterwards.  I don't want to freak anyone out, but I think the more you know, the less you will be overwhelmed.

Let me start by saying that things improve drastically within days.  I am 10 days out and nipples are healed from the wonderful APNO ointment (though I also use a shield which probably helps a lot).  Hemerhoids are practically gone.  Soreness is almost gone, but I've stayed on top of taking the 600mg Motrin.  (Notice I'm not afraid of the H word anymore lol!)

Anyway here are some things that may be helpful...

After giving birth, I had to wear pads, an ice pack, and witch hazel pads.  I had to use a squirt bottle every time I peed.  Partially because I had stitches, but I would guess it's pretty standard?  At first it was overwhelming having to change all of that every time I peed, but I got used to it after a couple days.  Plus the bleeding decreased so I don't have to change every thing every time.  The disposable undies they give you at the hospital are wonderful.  I made sure to ask for more of them, as well as the witch hazel pads.  The nurse also told me to take home anything that wasn't nailed down.  Thank you ma'am!

I went home with a prescription for 600mg Motrin, APNO (all purpose nipple ointment), stool softener, ointment for hemerhoids, numbing ointment for around the v_gina and perinium, the squirt bottle, and a sits (sitz?) bath.

I took percocets in the hospital.  Hadn't planned on it, but figured I would stay ahead of the pain.  Supposedly at BI they don't like to send you home with a prescription, which was fine with me because I didn't want to take them too long anyway.

The sits bath is this tub thing that you fill with warm water, put in your toilet, and sit on it.  It helps to get the blood circulating down there.  It's also soothing... for some people.  I didn't find it very comfortable to sit on, so I asked the visiting nurse about it 5 days after delivery and she said I didn't need to do it if it wasn't soothing for me.  This was a relief because I was feeling so overwhelmed trying to fit in BFing, sits baths, showers, time to apply all the ointments, etc.

I was really really nervous to have a bowel movement, but it was not bad at all.  The thought of pushing is nerve wracking, because honestly even coughing or laughing hurts a bit.  More than hurting, it just makes you nervous that you will be sore later.  Ok maybe that's just me!  I do suggest taking the stool softener though.  I still take it every night with my prenatals because of the iron in the prenatals.  Will probably continue for another week just to be safe.  For a couple of days after delivering, I felt like I was on the verge of peeing my pants many times, but that too has gotten much better.

Hope that helps and hope others will share some info about their after-hospital experiences.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: What to Expect after the Hospital

Fram thank you so much for posting this. Some of it I heard from my friends with kids shortly after I was pg and was in shock of all the things I didn't know!  I think I am going to make DH aware of all of these things that I need to do to take care of myself after the birth so he doesn't think he can go work around the house!   I will def. be taking my share of things from the hospital!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Word to the wise:
    take your stool softeners whether you think you need them or not.  I didn't have hemorrhoids from labor and I thought I'd be ok so I didn't fill out my prescription--HUBRIS!  I ended up with some serious hemorrhoid trouble 4 or 5 weeks post-partum, ugh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

Great idea Fram!  I ended delivering DS via c-section so my recovery was a tad different.  No numbing cream or sitz bath for down there but all the pad changes and usage of the squirt bottle was the same.  DH had to go to CVS after dropping us at home to pick up dulcolax (the most amazing livesaving medicine for after birth, seriously), my Rx for percocet, mortin and lots of pads.  As I'm writing this I'm realizing that I have forgotton A LOT from the hospital and first 2 weeks home......oh god, it's true what they say. No wonder I've been feeling the baby fever again! ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Fram, Great Idea to post this.  Your are exactly right, no one really talks about what happens after you give birth on what happens during!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thought of something else.  For the first 3 days or so, I would feel cramps and back pain whenever I nursed the baby.  One more wonderful thing about BFing in the beginning!  It's because BFing causes your uterus to contract - one of the reasons they say you lose the baby weight faster when you nurse.  After about 3 days, I stopped feeling so crampy.  So take heart - things improve SO quickly!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Yeah those afterpains from nursing were almost as bad as some of the contractions I had during labor.  They get worse with subsequent deliveries from what I hear.  After my first, I didn't think they were so bad.  After the second, I actually had to breathe through them.  But my uterus went back to PP size in no time at all!

I also didn't need the squirt bottle or ice the second time around, so maybe that's different too with a subsequent delivery.  I also went home a day early from the hospital.  Oh and don't forget that you're going to leak milk too.  I found the Lansinoh pads to be awesome the first time around.  This time, I didn't leak nearly as much and reusable pads have been just fine.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

One thing I have to contribute is soothie gel pads for your n*pples.  They are great and I got some from the hospital because they are expensive.  You put them in the fridge and then put them on after bfing and they help with soreness and stuff.  Mine never got bad enough for the apno cream but the soothies were awesome!!!

Oh and something else as your bleeding becomes less if it suddenly gets heavier it is an indication you are doing too much and need to slow down.  Doctors and nurses may tell you different things not to do (my doctor and nurses said no vacuuming but a friends doctor and nurses told her no laundry but never mentioned vacuuming...weird how they differ) but the heavier bleeding is the key no matter what you are doing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Oh yes, the cramping that comes with nursing I found to be pretty uncomfortable.  One of my friends said she asked the nurses for a heating pad and that helped a lot.  I am going to keep that in mind this time.  Also, the pads you will wear are bigger than anything you could ever imagine but are great, as is the mesh underwear.  I also used the squirt bottle and loved it!

I agree with LLLE on the bleeding, your body will tell you if you are over doing it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Great post Fram!  I can add a few... for the sake of time, some random bullets:
    - I quickly learned, and was told by the hospital, the contractions after birth while nursing and from the uterus shrinking in general are very intense the second time around.  The majority of my pain and discomfort were from this, not necessarily my c-section incision.
    - They really hold to that 8pm rule at the hospita..  I delivered around 7:40 and was d/c'd four days later - no extra day.  But, since I left in the afternoon, before a full fourth day completed, it did qualify us for a VNA the next day.
    - We had some major latch/eating issues.  Either she would latch but wouldn't eat, or she'd be so hungry she'd get frustrated trying to latch to the point when the nurses and LCs said it was counter productive b/c of the energy she was wasting.  I ended up pumping after every feeding which I was surprised wasn't as cumbersome as last time and built up a great supply.  The nipple shield worked at first, but we realized she would take a minimal amount out then, and I'd still have to pump and feed.  Then, she stopped latching on that.  We are currently solely pumping and using a some formula to supplement and it is actually going well and way easier.  I can pump, feed her, change her, and get her back to sleep in less time than it would take to just nurse DS.  The LCs feel that as she gets a little bigger, I'll probably be able to get her latched on and sucking, so I'll probably try, but I'm not going to stress about it. We'll take it one day at a time.  
    - I got an APNO Rx BEFORE I delivered and brought it with me.  I know you aren't supposed to bring outside Rxs to the hospital, but given the pain and cracking I was experiencing, the LCs and nurses were very encouraging to use it.
    - I took the nurses up on one formula feed a night and I didn't room in.  I know this isn't great attachment parenting but since my supply was coming in fine with pumping, DH couldn't stay iwth me every night, and they didn't want me wasting too much of DDs energy on latch frustrations, it just seemed like a good idea to get some rest.  It made a HUGE difference and i just felt a lot healthier and more energetic.  
    - The minute my milk came in, the weeping started.  I also get the chills every time I'm full and am about ready to pump.  It is amazing what hormones can do!  I decided to start the medication I took last time for PPD and I think staying on top of things will help this time.  The hardest part is guilt that I'm not spending enough time with either child.
    - Showering every day and pushing the baby around the unit really, really help with energy and recovery.  
    - Asking for pain medication before pain was its most intense and staying on top of it really helped.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

The peri bottle is also great for rinsing your babies hair after you are done using it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Don't forget, Rx pain pills can really slow things down and increase the constipation issues.  I was okay with the motrin but I certainly kept up with the stool softeners.  Mirelax is also a great one to add to the arsenal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The weeping is one of the ways your body rids itself of excess fluid! So weep away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

For those having a c-section: the first time you get up after the surgery is the hardest (and the scariest)...it all gets better from there.

Use every resource the hospital has while you're there: the nurses, lactation consultants, all of it.  That said, remember that while they are "experts", you are the parent and you have the final decision.  In the 4 days I was in the hospital after my c-section, I had one bad nurse experience, where she tried to push me to feed when I knew DD didn't want to eat.  Stand your ground!

Take everything you can: diapers, wipes, pads, and yes, as many pairs of disposable underwear as you can get.  Those disposable/mesh panties were the best thing ever!  And if you're not wearing those, make sure your're wearing cotton panties...helps with the healing. 

One of the best things I've done since having DD was to start a journal.  I started it on her birthday, and both my husband and I have written entries.  It's not for her, it's for us, to remember the hard times of sleepless nights and fingerfeeding, but also, to mark each accomplishment that we've made as parents. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

good post..  I was one of those that thought I didn't really need the stool softeners and the motrin they prescribed but got them anyway and took them when I felt i needed them... i wish I had just stayed on top of things.  I'm 4 1/2 weeks out and was doing pretty good but this last week I feel so discouraged.. the bleeding keeps coming back just when I think it's going away, and sometimes a lot..  then I have pain down there.. especially on the right side.. not sure if that is where the 2 degree of stitches are or what.. i try using a mirror and it looks like a couple little bloody sacs down there.. weird... (sorry..probably TMI) and it hurts so now i take the motrin again at least twice a day..  :-(  sometimes one other time too.  I started using the witch hazel pads and the sitz spa again too trying to get that pain to go away.  I don't know whether to call the doc or just wait for my 6 week checkup which is 2 weeks from today..  maybe I'm just overdoing it.. I've only taken 2 walks though in the last two weeks.. i do laundry and some housework but not a ton.. and of course I walk the floor with my now 11 lb chunker..  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"Bloody sac"-like things might be infection.  I'd probably call the office and talk to the nurse about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

i don't know how to really describe it.. and to be honest, I never looked down there before so maybe it's not knew.. it's small and just really red..  :-(  i'll give it just a couple more days with consistent motrin.. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe you aren't conveying it exactly as it is, but from what you've said it sounds like something worth talking to a nurse or NP about.  Does your insurance have a 24/7 nurse line?

A month out is awhile for something very red to be persisting full force. Not that you can't have pp issues down there for a long time, but "very red" is often a sign of infection this far out from the trauma.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: What to Expect after the Hospital:
    [QUOTE] One of the best things I've done since having DD was to start a journal.  I started it on her birthday, and both my husband and I have written entries.  It's not for her, it's for us, to remember the hard times of sleepless nights and fingerfeeding, but also, to mark each accomplishment that we've made as parents. 
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]
    I did that too, and it's been great. I'm on my third book now. It's so convenient to be able to mark down her various milestones or paste in tickets from fun things we did. With a blank book you can write as much or as little as you like. I work with historical stuff, and these journals are just the most amazing things for a family to find. Your daughter and future generations will really treasure it! (With that in mind, you might want to consider using acid free paper and pens. And make lots of drawings! Even if you have no artistic talent. Also, include tickets and brochures and cut things out of magazines -- you'll be surprised how cool that stuff will look even 20 years from  now.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

DITTO STOOL SOFTENERS.  And would also recommend laxatives, used appropriately.  Let's just say DH and I thought we were going to have to have Adventures with Suppositories.  Am very glad it didn't get to that point, but almost did (7 days after c-section).

Also would recommend not letting DH sleep with earplugs.  I let DH do this and the first night with DD in the room the nurse kept leaving the lights on when she'd leave the room!!  And they come in a LOT if you have a c-section.  I didn't want to yell to wake up DD, and didn't want to call the nurse as I felt bad bothering them (that changed), and couldn't move to turn them off myself, so had to try to sleep with lights on.  So annoying.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Jan - if it helps, I bled for 6 weeks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Jan--could be vericose veins.  I have one now which was totally weird.  But I would get it checked out.  Mine never hurt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

My stitches took a while to heal too.  And were sore for 3-4 weeks but I was too chicken to actually look at my vajeen so I would call your OB about the sacs.  Could also be some scary hemorrhoids but definately be safe not sorry.  You don't want to mess with that area!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

So, I never wanted to hear about this stuff because I didn't want to be scared, and in turn I don't usually tell people about my experience... but I'm realizing that's not the best plan and it's good to know things!

So I got something called a spinal headache.  It is SO unlikely that this will happen to any of you, but it's not impossible so I want to tell you what it's like.  It's not as bad as it sounds, and it is fixable and it's not dangerous, so don't worry.  It can result from a spinal block or from an incorrect epidural.  My only real problem was that I didn't know I had it and it went undiagnosed for a week and so the first week of my daughter's life kind of sucked for me.
    I had pushed for a long time, so in the hospital when I said that my neck and back of my head hurt, someone suggested it was strained from the pushing.  So I thought that was what it was.  They gave me mucho painkillers, which really didn't help much.  And they told my husband to give me massages.  :)
    It felt like a soreness in my neck and head, but the trademark is that I NEEDED to lie down.  Sitting, standing, or even being propped up were all extremely uncomfortable.  It's not even that it hurt that much, just as soon as I got up I felt like I needed to lie down RIGHT AWAY.  Lying down I felt basically okay.
    When I finally decided it was ridiculous and something else had to be wrong, I called my own OB and she diagnosed it immediately.  I went in and they patched it and it was like a miracle.  People kept asking me why I didn't tell someone and insist there was a problem, but the short answer is that I never had a baby before!  I thought I was supposed to feel like c**p.  And I didn't really get out of bed much in the hospital, so I didn't notice the dramatic difference between being up and down.
    So you definitely need to rest and you may have some of the physical pains everyone else on here mentioned.  But if even sitting up in bed makes you nutty, that's not normal!  Use my cautionary tale and speak up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It is better to know than not for sure - it might save someone else from not knowing that the pain isn't normal.  Thank goodness it didn't cause permanent damage during the undiagnosed time.

I HATE it when people ask me why I didn't ask about something.  Um, if I didn't know about it, how would I know enough to ask?  And, if I had known enough to ask, ironically, I wouldn't have needed to.

Sections
Shortcuts