When to tell daughter she's going to be a big sister?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTMum. Show CTMum's posts

When to tell daughter she's going to be a big sister?

When did you tell your older child about the impending arrival of his/her sibling?

My daughter is 2.5 and although we don't plan to tell her for some time yet (I'm only 12.5 weks), I keep thinking about it and would welcome thoughts and/or experiences from those who have been through this before.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Re: When to tell daughter she's going to be a big sister?

We told our DD (who was 2.5 at the time as well) after we got the results of the ERA (same time we told everyone else).  We needed to tell daycare at that time, and didn't feel it was right to have told them and not her.  We only waited to tell her because we knew she would tell everyone else if she knew.  I don't think it really sank in, but at this point, I'm 22 weeks and my belly is growing and she seems excited about her baby brother (except when she says she'd rather have a sister) and kisses my belly, etc.  She doesn't have enough of a concept of time to understand when exactly he'll be here or anything.  We don't talk about it a lot, but we do mention it sometimes.

I don't think there's any right or wrong time to tell, it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree with am, I'd wait until after 12 weeks just like with anyone else.  Congrats on #2!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

We told DD when we started telling other people also..around 14 weeks - . she was just 2 at the time.  I didn't want other people to start telling/asking her without preparing her a little beforehand.  Then, we didn't focus on it too much until I started getting big and making preparations for her brother's arrival.  She is a great big sister - I am sure yours will be too!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

my daughter turned 2 last month - we told her when I was around 5 months, just because we didn't think she'd get it, and she wasn't really picking up on adult conversations.  We also planned to move her out of her room.  We decided to move her first "because she was a big girl" then reveal about the newcomer.  It worked well for us and she was super excited about watching us decorating her new room and sleeping in her new bed.  It is amazing to see how much more she is understanding about the new baby at 25 months now.  She talks about the baby's room, likes to know what all the new baby stuff is used for, and was actually pretend playing with the baby the other day when I told her that she could show the baby how to play with some toys "see baby, I show you, this a toy, go like this" it was just too cute!  I'm now due in two weeks and noticed that she is able to remember some more complicated things that I've told her, like last week I told her the mailman would come take a birthday card from our house to her Nana, and when we got the mail this week she asked about Nana getting her card.  So now we're onto talking about when I'll go to have the baby, that she can come visit me at the doctor's and that Grammy and Auntie will stay with her.  My only worry is if we have to leave in the middle of the night that it might be more startling for her.