Working on the nursery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Working on the nursery

I am just starting to work on getting the nursery put together and I am somehow surprised how expensive baby bedding is!  And I really don’t like most of the sets...everything for a baby boy is either an animal or sports theme, and I would prefer no theme on the bedding (just a nice color or pattern).  Anyone have any favorite shops or websites they can pass along?

I tried to do a search for a past post on this, but the search function doesn’t seem to yield any results.  

Appreciate the help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Working on the nursery

This may not be the answer that you are looking for, but I didn't buy a bedding set at all. I found a crib sheet at BRU that had polka dots on it that matched the crib skirt that I made (no sewing involved!).  Since you are not supposed to use bumpers or comforters in the crib I saw no reason to buy a bedding set with those things in it.   Also, you'll need a few crib sheets so I bought some other plain colored ones from target to use when the "pretty" one gets dirty. 
       I did see some bedding sets at walmart online that were very modern, not cheesy baby at all, on the cheap.  Here's a link to one... 
    For some of the sets you can buy the pieces individually if you didn't want to buy the whole set.  They have a lot of modern nursery sets. FWIW I bought my crib from there and it is very well made. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I would do a online search for unisex crib sets or look at esty...good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

This is the set I got - only it was a 6 piece set for less $$ on Overstock.com.

Crib set

You could try Overstock, Amazon, etc.  I initially found the set I wanted by doing a google search for "yellow crib bedding".  We took the bumpers off after about 15 weeks, when DD started moving all over the crib.  Haven't used the blanket yet, but we will eventually.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Ajuly - That's what I have been contemplating...I am most likely leaning towards getting crib sheets for now, and buying a bumper if/when the time comes.  I'm more of a mix-and-match decorator and less likely to buy sets of something.  I also sew, so I am playing with the idea of making a blanket myself.  We'll see how motivated I am.

I've looked a bit on etsy...the good thing is, you can have a custom set made any way you want, bad thing is it is still pretty expensive.  But I guess if I end up getting a set, I would go with something custom.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We went into La Bella Baby on route 1 (owned by baby furniture warehouse) and looked through all their books (they have a ton) and then found one we liked and looked for it online to see if we could get it cheaper.  They had it just as cheap though so we did buy it through them.

To be honest I loved decorating the nursery and loved the bedding we chose but if we honestly had it all to do again I would have skipped the bedding...it seemed to last less time then some of the toys, seats and other stuff they go through so fast.  I think I would have spent the money on decorating everything else in his room and just gone with some cute sheets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

We got a bed set for DD.  We used everything but the quilt which I hung on a rack.  For DS, I just bought seperate everything.  I got the sheets I liked, Green polka dots, then matched the bumbers and my mom made a bed skirt for me.  I think DD bed set was over 150 and for DS only cost me about 50.  I got everything for DS at babies r us.  It is carters so it can be bought anywhere, I just had GC's and coupons to use there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

We skipped the formal bedding set.

But I was lucky that my mother quilted DS a blanket for him to use, and we got a thicker one for really cold nights. My mother also knitted us a bunch of blankets to use also.

We got breathable bumpers for when DS was moving around in his crib. and seperate sheets.

I've saved the more formal decorating for now when DS is 2.5 and enjoys the stuff more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

IKEA!
    I also just got a bunch of bottom sheets, that's it, for the crib.  We didn't know the sex of the baby ahead of time and I didn't want crib bumpers.  My daughter was a March baby so by the time she was not being swaddled it was hot and just a bottom sheet was fine.  For bedding since then we've been really happy with IKEA.  It's inexpensive and there's lots of choice and the prints are fun.  Plus it's set up to mix and match, so you don't have to buy a whole big set if you don't need/want it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from grimalkin. Show grimalkin's posts

I didn't buy a bedding set, either. Like ajuly said, you aren't supposed to use bumpers and quilts so it didn't seem worth the $$. I bought a crib skirt & bunch of coordinating fitted sheets in neutral browns and greens so that it could all be used for a second baby of either gender.

The crib skirt looked nice for the first few months but no longer fit after we moved the mattress lower (we have an IKEA Gulliver).

On a side note, we must have received about 40 blankets before our baby was born. We appreciated the thought (especially the handmade ones) but aside from swaddling, I could never figure out what we were supposed to be doing with them!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I hear ya grimalkin!!  We have SO many extra blankets, both heavy ones and receiving blankets.  I was going to pass some along to friends and family, but they are probably in the same boat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Pottery Barn Kids and Land of Nod.com have some cute bedding with plaids, stripes, polka dots, etc.  Not cheap, but at least no theme, and I've found the quality at Pottery Barn to be excellent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i bought ecru sheets from land of nod - that's it! - and have been pleased!  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

We've decided not to register for a bedding set. I don't see the point in paying the money on something you can't use for the most part. We just registered for some sheets and a couple accessories to decorate for now and will add stuff later. We don't know the gender either so I figured it would give me something to do when I am on maternity leave. We registered for a few receiving blankets, but not a lot because people will buy what they like. DH's aunt usually makes an afghan so I'm looking forward to using that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

For DS#1, I used babybedding.com (It's Carousel Designs.) They came highly recommended in Baby Bargains. They have lots of cute boy patterns, along with a wide range of solids. I ended up with a nursery rhyme toile with check and denim accents. (I, too, only bought a bunch of crib sheets, changing pad covers, and a crib skirt. Oh, and a matching mobile.) They have a custom feature where you can mix and match your own fabrics. Their customer service was excellent. I had orginally ordered a custom bed skirt and they called right away and said they had a stock skirt that was very similar (and significantly cheaper) and asked if I would prefer to change the order. I was very impressed!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Wow, thanks for all the advice!  Great suggestions (and I completely forgot about Ikea)...now I have something to spend my afternoon on, because working just isn't very appealing.

I wondered how much use we would get out of a set and it doesn't really sound worth it.  We're not registering anywhere or having a baby shower, so hopefully we won't be overloaded with blankets (although the FIL's neighbor already knitted us a receiving blanket).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

We have a Dwell bedding set.  Two actually -- one gender neutral discontinued pattern that we snagged for a STEAL, and one pink one that DH bought on a whim after DD was born (gah).  I love them both, but honestly -- all that's on there now (9 months) is the pink polka-dot sheet, some breathable bumpers I borrowed from a friend, and that's it.  The crib skirt didn't fit as soon as we lowered the mattress.  Had I listened to the wise advice on these boards, I would have gone to IKEA, like Lissa suggested, and just bought a ton of cute fitted sheets and called it a day. 

But don't give away all the blankets!!!  I'm finding that I constantly use mine now that DD is sitting up -- I put them down on the grass, between her and the wool carpet, between her and the hardwood floor, they're great for peek-a-boo.  Trust me, things that seem useless now might be vital in a few months, and vice versa. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The best part about just getting a bunch of fitted sheets is that you don't have to choose just one type!  I got a bunch of different patterns and I can choose according to my mood.  :)

I will say that I was obsessed with having a crib skirt.  I ended up getting one through Pottery Barn Kids online, where they are generally WAY too expensive, but they had final sale ones for super, super cheap.  Like I think the shipping might have been more than the skirt.  If you see one you like, it's a good deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The best thing for baby from birth until 2 years old is a naked crib.  No bumpers or quilts.  No pillows.
    Our twins are 2 on Wednesday and they have always slept in swaddles and after that Halo sleepsacks. 
    There is a mom on these boards who found her child not breathing from rolling into the bumper - it's a horrible SIDS risk.  (BTW she was able to save her).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Yeah, I don't plan on using a bumper until necessary, if at all, and my doctor already said to get a breathable bumper.

I went shopping this weekend and saw some really cute sheets and skirts that I can mix and match.  My crib should arrive in the next week or so, so I will be able to decide if I even need a skirt then.  The front of the crib goes flush to the floor, so I don't want to buy something with a really cute pattern if it ends up we can't even see it though the wood slats.

My mom and I drove up to Nashua to Buy Buy Baby this weekend.  What a great store!  Someone on here (in another thread) recommended it, so thanks!  It was definitely worth the trip.

Kiwi - I had a lot of fun with the Design feature on that site.  Even if I don't buy from that site, it was fun to see what different colors and patters would look like together.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Why would anyone "need" a bumper?  You mean if the baby rolls his/her face toward the crib and leans on the slats?  but if it really hurts baby will rolls his/her head the other way, and otherwise, if baby does that with a bumper you could be in trouble.  So I can't think of any reason why you'd "need' a bumper?

Or am I not thinking of something?

(other than they look pretty, really pretty, but I'd just buy lots of pretty fitted sheets like someone else said and use different ones for different moods)

I'm a HUGE sheets fan, I have different sheets for summer vs. winter....  for different moods, etc so if I had ever had children I know I'd have to do that for the fitted crib sheets, too!  We all have our vices, and bedding is mine...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Sorry, not sure what post you are referring to...who said anything about needing a bumper?  Most people mentioned how they aren't necessary at all.

I also like to have different sheets for the different seasons.  The only sheets I don't use anymore are my winter flannel ones...they were great when I was single, but DH radiates so much heat it's way too hot to use them now. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

What I like about bumbers is that it keeps arms and legs from getting caught betweens slats.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: Working on the nursery:
    [QUOTE]The only sheets I don't use anymore are my winter flannel ones...they were great when I was single, but DH radiates so much heat it's way too hot to use them now. 
    Posted by Leila32[/QUOTE]

Oh, yes, I MISS my flannel sheets, but my husband radiates heat, too!  I had a few really pretty flannet sheet sets, too, so sad.