2ww caffeine and alcohol?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: 2ww caffeine and alcohol?

Who knew what I'd start with this post! 

lemon- you are hilarious. too funny. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Kar, I don't think anyone is offended.  At least I'm not!  I don't even think they are always directing their comments at you.  It's a discussion and it just so happens that in this instance several posters have the opposite view/opinion.  You don't have to defend your view every time someone posts her opposing opinion.  It is not a personal attack on you.
    P.S. You know I love ya :o)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I think the response is a bit higher when Kar posts and includes any reference to study results, even though she is clear that she is not supporting or defending said study or results.

I guess then all the info out there about the statistical benefits of breastfeeding, cosleeping and circumcision results are all a bunch of hooey too. Or do we only adopt those stats b/c they support our own wants and desires? 

I could give a p-oop either way. I don't plan on using statistics to make my decisions for me and never have. I read the literature and make an informed decision, like most people, but unless there is a proven negative result from something [ie, X happened b/c of Y; hard fact; and not X is more likely to happen b/c of Y based on statistics] I'm not going to be swayed. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

There are enough studies out there that you can find some to support most any reasonable standpoint (not "smoking three packs a day and guzzling a fifth of Absolut night is not harmful at all" -- I highly doubt you'll find that). That's why you have to take them with a heaping scoop of salt grains. I don't post often, but a bee got in my bonnet when there was an eloquent explanation of statistics given that was completely wrong. I don't have a personal grudge against anyone, except maybe the personification of misinformation, which is very common on the internet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

"Or do we only adopt those stats b/c they support our own wants and desires? "

That's exactly it.  People tend to believe the research they want to believe and people tend to look for research that supports the views they already have.  Conservatives watch FoxNews, Liberals watch MSNBC.  There's a reason for that--these stations tell their viewers what their viewers want to hear.

That being said, within scientific research, there are journals that are more-reputable than others, journals that have much more rigorous peer-review than others, journals where the only thing you need to get published is to know the right people and be "sponsored" by one of them (PNAS is a prime example).  So, when someone makes a statement that they "read the literature" that doesn't mean a whole lot.  What literature are they reading?  Who did the research?  Who paid for the research?  What kind of background/training/expertise do the people who published these results have?  Who are their mentors?  Who else have they trained?  What kind of reputation does this researcher have in his/her field?  What else has this researcher published on this or similar topics?

It's all fine and good to "read the literature" but without any context, it's hard to evaluate which studies are more-valid and more-rigorously reviewed than others and you can't necessarily put them in perspective.  I certainly don't expect anyone to produce a bibliography of all the articles they've read on a topic, or to know everything about all of the authors on every article they read, but people within a certain field have a broad knowledge of their colleagues that people outside the field do not.  Vaguely stating that one has "read the literature" doesn't mean much more to me than "I saw this interesting thing on the news last night."

As I stated before, most researchers do the best analysis of their study results that they can, but some of them do it better than others, and some of them have more grant money to pay for a very rigorous analysis by statisticians while others do most of it themselves with only a cursory review by a statistician.  Some researchers just want or need to get published quickly so that they can get a grant application in by a certain deadline and may make mistakes or overlook things in their analyses.  Without a general context of who did the analysis and how the analysis was done, it's hard to gauge the validity of the results.  Under those circumstances, we believe what we want to believe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

"when someone makes a statement that they "read the literature" that doesn't mean a whole lot"

It wasn't supposed to mean a whole lot.  I used 'literature' to generally mean the "published writings on a particular subject", precisely b/c I didn't feel the need to catalogue what I had read about any particular TTC or child/birth-associated publication.  Everyone should do their own research on whatever topic using whatever 'literature' they so choose and then come to their own conclusions. 

"We believe what we want to believe" made me think of the X files. lol.  Must be b/c DH and I watch way too much on Chiller and XFiles is coming to Chiller.  Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

X-files is already on Chiller! They showed Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose the other night.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

One of the most frustrating things about pregnancy in general, at least to me, is NO ONE IS ON THE SAME PAGE about what is right, good, bad, wrong.  Doctors, doulas, midwives, mothers, researchers... no one.  At least in regard to most things.  Most people will say smoking, drugs, and alcohol probably won't be too good for the fetus (I say "probably" with tongue in cheek, but there really doesn't seem to be consensus on the alcohol part), but other than that... holy cow, there is so much conflicting info out there!  Makes my head spin.

I have had SO MUCH direct contradictory information since day 1 of being pregnant.  For me, I found the best way to deal with it is to:
    a) trust my instincts, and
    b) trust my healthcare provider

I don't have the energy or mental power to read all kinds of studies.  I am barely reading any books.  I love talking to all of you ladies because to me, the best source of information comes from those with direct experience.  Whenever I see women making their heads spin trying to make all the TTC and pregnancy info out there gel, or figure out what is "valid" and what isn't, I just wish I could tell them to give themselves a break and not put so much pressure and responsibility on themselves to try to know everything, but I know everyone has to choose their comfort level.

I wish you ladies all the best!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Poppy you are right! And once your little one arrives you'll also see that most likely your prediatrician will have different views/recommendations for your LO in comparison to your friends' pediatricians. I've experienced this as well and my little guys is only 4 1/2 months! I've already fibbed a little to my pedi about minor things that we've done that she hasn't recommended. It truly is better to not know everything, especially the non-crucial stuff. Like you said stick to your instincts on the little stuff and ask you care provider if a true concern comes up!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

ALF--did we just agree on something?

We don't get that channel and it's probably a good thing.  DH already has our Tivo recording other sci-fi stuff non-stop.  And then he complains when I put Friends reruns and the like on the "to do" list b/c "they take up too much space."  Oh yeah...there have been "discussions" :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The laws of probability being what they are, it was bound to happen at some point.  Wink

DH complains that I have too many episodes of Criminal Minds saved in the DVR.  I will admit, I have an unhealthy amount saved, but it's a good show and you can watch the reruns again w/ as much enjoyment as the first time they ran. He disagrees.  lol.  I told him he can laugh at me when we change service providers in November. We have been counting down the days till we can do so b/c our provider absolutely stinks. 

I did not tell him that I intend to hit the 'record all first runs on this channel' when we get the new provider.  hee hee!  Innocent

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Ooooh the everlasting DVR battle.  DH loves to complain when I have 5 half hour shows taped, but who's the one taping hours of Nascar and hockey in HD?  Not this girl!

Sections
Shortcuts