2ww caffeine and alcohol?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

2ww caffeine and alcohol?

Do you ladies cut either of them out or don't worry about it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 2ww caffeine and alcohol?

Since I'm older and my eggs are prone (by virtue of my age) to chromosomal problems, anyway, I do avoid alcohol which can affect the chromosomes (according to my Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy).

Also, it's been proven extensively that 100mg or less of coffee is NOT related to an increase in miscarriage rate so I stick to one cup of coffee a day.  Some studies show as much as 300 mg is safe, but some dispute that.  I'd rather have one cup of regular and the rest decaf and not worry about possibly cutting my chances of staying pg if I ever get there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I avoid alcohol, but mostly because it isn't an issue for me whatsoever.  I typically drink like once a month anyway.

I switched to half caf coffee for a while, but after a couple months of not getting pregnant, I gave up.  I'm in the 2ww now so I have been making half caf when I make it at home, but still getting Dunkin iced coffee sometimes.

I also avoid tuna and sushi during 2ww, but that's about it for food.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I didntavoid anything while in the 2ww, I didnt drink excessively but really even if you get pregnant your baby isnt living off you just yet.  Just my two cents. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What you ingest affects all your cells at some level even though there's no placenta and umbilical cord yet.  That's why too much caffeine is correlated to an increase in miscarriage risk (or whatever it's called in the very early stages after conception).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I feel like you should just live your life as normally as possible during the 2ww - if it turns out you're not pg, it will very likely not have anything to do with what you ate or drank in the last 2 weeks. As sad as it is, many women smoke, drink and do whatever during their entire pregnancy and have perfectly healthy babies (I am in no way condoning this behavior - I find it repulsive).

That said, if you choose to cut back there are several health benefits related to not drinking alcohol and caffeine so it would be a win-win situation. I'm sort of in the 2ww period now and I don't have any plans to do anything drastic. I don't drink a whole lot anyway, but if I want to have a glass of wine or two in the next couple of weeks, I probably will.

I would, however, recommend taking prenatal vitamins if you aren't already - and if you don't like pills, chew on 2 Flintstones (2 doctors have told me that is an acceptable tradeoff).

I agree with June, though, I don't think there are any direct nutrients going to the baby at this early stage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

FWIW, brigham and women's hospital guidelines say up to 300mg of caffeine a day is fine (and that's a lot - a starbucks espresso only has 75mg!) so i think the caffeine hype is bunk (my personal opinion, obvi!).  i also would not worry about drinking (moderately) in the 2ww.  the last thing i wanted to do was start acting PG only to be disappointed when i got AF, know what i mean...  my successful 2ww coincided with a trip to mexico where i ate ceviche with margaritas every day for lunch, and had wine with dinner, and as far as anyone can tell (doctors/ultrasound/amnio), all's healthy on the baby front (thank g*d!)!  :)  and also FWIW, my SIL's nurse told her (after her twins were born, go figure) that drinking one glass of wine a day through pregnancy was fine.  different opionions everywhere - do what's right for you (but my personal opinion is - don't drive yourself crazy during the 2ww!). :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

when my mom was pregnant, for the first time 39 years ago with my brother, her doctor told her the only thing she couldn't do was ride a horse and/or a motorcycle. How things have changed... :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I agree with Dream that you should just live your life as normally as possible during the two week wait.  I've been pregnant 3 times: one ectopic, one full term healthy pregnancy that resulted in my DD, now 2 and one recent miscarriage.  I did drink alcohol and caffeine when I was in the 2ww with the ectopic because we weren't really trying and I didn't know I was even in the 2ww.  Obviously, neither of those things caused the ectopic pregnancy.  That was due to other issues.  With DD, I did drink both alcohol (a couple of glasses of wine and a beer) and caffeine (about 8-12 oz of black tea) during the 2ww.  With the miscarriage, I didn't drink alcohol during the 2ww (because I'm not much of a drinker in general and things were chaotic that month), but I did continue to drink my morning cup of tea, and also a couple times coffees in the afternoon.  Take that extremely small sample size for what it's worth, but my point is that unless you're getting wasted frequently and/or are drinking gallons of caffeine during your 2ww, it's unlikely to affect the course of your pregnancy one way or the other, as you aren't sharing nutrients with the baby until post 4 weeks anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your baby wouldn't be getting the caffeine or alcohol from you via an umbilical cord because, as you say, there isn't one yet.  But, those chemicals affect all the cells in your body including the dividing embryo.  That's not to imply I think anyone should change their behavior, but I do think making a well informed decision is important.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Honestly, I'd be more worried about all the chemicals and cr*p that are a part of our food and environment than a little caffeine or alcohol!

I had a coulple of glasses of wine in my 2ww and there was no ill effect on DS. I was 37 when I conceived so it didn't seem to change much there either. I don't do caffeine, but that's because it exacerbates my tendency to experience anxiety attacks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Nope. I've been trying for over 2.5 years at this point.  Number one, I could never give up caffeine; I've been drinking tea since I was 10.  I'm 38 today - that's 28 years of caffeine dependency.  lol.  I did cut back to 1 cup of coffee and 1-2 cups of black tea per day.  I have unlimited green tea b/c it's caffeine free.  I don't drink soda or any other beverage w/ caffeine other can coffee or tea, so I don't think it's that bad. And my cups are actual 8 oz containers. 

I also drink wine and gin and tonics w/ abandon. Abandom for me being 2 glasses of wine on a wild night and 1 gin and tonic if I'm in the 2ww. And I drink maybe 1 x per week. I might have 2 drinks w/ hard liquor if I'm not in the 2 ww.  My glasses of wine are usually consumed at home, so they are 4-6 oz per glass, not the 8-12 you can get in a restaurant wine glass.  

The only things I've been religious about cutting out are raw oysters, tuna tartare and any other seared fish that's raw on the inside and unpasteurized cheese. 

For the 2ww, even if you do get pg, the embryo hasn't implanted yet for a portion of that time.  Unless you go absolutely wild, you aren't going to do any serious damage.  If you want to give it up, go right ahead, but there is no way I am giving that stuff up anymore considering how long it's been.  I did give up the alcohol when  I was pg, and cut the caffeine back to 1 cup of coffee and 1 cup of tea per day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Again, I'm not saying anyone should change their behavior, but if anyone is making a decision to drink based solely on the idea that because there's no umbilical cord it cannot affect the embryo they might change their minds if they know it can.  And, saying it CAN doesn't imply I think it WILL, either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks for all the advice.  I've been trying to cut back on caffeine for a month or so in general so that it will be easier if we do end up getting pregnant in the future.  DH and I one year both went cold turkey from caffeine and let me tell you that was NOT fun...it really is a detox. We were sick like we had the flu. 
     I'm not a big drinker either, but our fridge is stocked with leftover beer from a bbq and after a long day of work it's nice to have one with dinner. 
      I guess I'd rather be on the safe side, also I am one of those people that if I ever did MC or not get pregnant, I'd start thinking it was what I did, eventhough it most likely would be something that was out of my control.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

am, that cup of tea/coffee was within the guidelines of caffeine consumption that does not increase the risk of m/c.  Your sample size is part of a huge sample. :)

ajuly, bottom line, of course, is do exactly what you want.  People drank, smoked, did drugs, whatever, and had healthy babies.  Of course, people also had m/c and didn't know why.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Kar is right that you don't need an umbilical cord for anything you consume to pass to the embryo.  However, unless you have a truly wild weekend, drink an entire pot of coffee per day, or regulary consume more than 1 alcoholic drink per day, 14-20 days of having a normal amount of caffeine or alcohol should not cause serious harm, esp since the embryo is not even implanted for a portion of that time. 

I had a m/c and am sure that my caffeine consumption did not cause or contribute to it.  The ER doc and another dr told me that absolutely nothing that I did or didn't do caused the M/C.  If you believe that you are going to blame yourself if you [God forbid] have a m/c, then by all means cut out whatever makes you comfortable. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I agree with everything ALF said above.  As I posted earlier, I had a healthy pregnancy and a miscarriage, and with the healthy pregnancy (and now healthy two year old daughter), I drank alcohol and caffeine during the 2ww.  With the miscarriage, I drank only caffeine.  Not in excess either time.  This leads me to believe that the caffeine consumption was not responsible for the miscarriage.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

ALF green tea typically has about 20 mg of caffeine per 8 ounces of water unless you are drinking decaf tea.  Decaf generally has about 2 mg of caffeine per 8 ounces.  So not huge, but there is caffeine there.

Black tea has about 40 mg of caffeine per 8 ounces of water.

Coffee has about 80 mg of caffeine but that is a 5 ounce serving.
    Colas has about 45 mg of caffeine but that is a 12 ounce serving.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I can only speak from personal experience, but I did consume both alcohol & caffeine during my 2ww when we were trying.  And I thoroughly enjoy my iced latte in the morning, even now.  If I had my way, I'd start each day with that latte and end it with a glass of red, but I'm not THAT much of an envelope-pusher.   

I agree with Kiwi, I was far more concerned with chemicals and other things in the environment, for whatever reason.  So I did limit my tuna consumption (I love tuna and probably consumed too much as it was) as soon as we started trying, and, in the interest of full-disclosure, my adult beverage consumption-breakdown was probably 80% wine, 15% beer, 5% martini, and I did eliminate that latter 5% during the 2ww.  It was totally arbitrary, but I saw wine has having some redeeming health benefits, whereas the martini is just FREAKING GOOD.  God, I miss you, martinis. 

Having had a MC, I will say that you question everything regardless, and I'm not convinced that even the Most Perfect 2WW would spare anyone that process.  And you question pretty much everything you do during pregnancy, too.  It's a long and wonderful 40 weeks, and I think it's far more enjoyable when properly caffeineated.  :) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Scorpio, thanks.  My box of green tea does not say it's decaffeinated, but the nutritional info says that there is no caffeine.  ie, Decaffeinated isn't emblazoned on the box like it is w/ black tea, but the nutritional info says decaf. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Honestly Kar, if someone is going to miscarry its just going to happen and there is nothing that can prevent it.  I mean if a doctor is saying having coffee is ok because there is no scientific proof caffiene harms a baby, I will trust their judgement since they are the ones who have the degree.  Honestly Im not the type of person to live my life being what if, so in the 2ww, it would be in the back of my head but I wouldnt stop living my life, but thats just me. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I stopped drinking caffeine the month we started TTC and cut back on alcohol during the 2ww.

The month I actually got pregnant, I was on vacation and didn't cut back on anything.  I was likely drunk during implantation. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't think Kar is trying to argue with anyone; she's just putting the info out there.  We all know there are many things that could possibly affect a fetus, but we have different comfort levels and that's fine.

I was all gung ho on giving up caffeine, but now that it's been 15 weeks or so I decided not to torture myself for maybes.  I doubt 2 weeks of exposure to one coffee a day is going to harm my future baby.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

I gave up everything completely---all alcohol, sushi, caffeine, etc., once I ended my pill pack and knew we were going to start trying. I did this with my first pregnancy (my 3 year old) and now with my second (I'm 26 weeks along).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alto2. Show Alto2's posts

I was really worried about this for the first couple of months, but now I'm fairly relaxed.

My habits are fairly moderate anyway... I don't smoke, I'm not a coffee person, I rarely drink soda/tea/chocolate, and I average about 2-3 alcoholic drinks per week.

I'm more aware of avoiding high-mercury-level fish, but that kind of goes hand-in-hand with my environmental/sustainability concerns regarding seafood, so it's not that much of a stretch for me.