2ww caffeine and alcohol?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alto2. Show Alto2's posts

Re: 2ww caffeine and alcohol?

A little off-topic, but if anyone here is cutting back on tuna but loves fish, I highly recommend canned mackerel (not to be confused with king mackerel). Just drain the can, add a squirt of lemon, a dash of olive oil, some snipped chives, salt and pepper, and serve on fresh greens... good stuff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone know if any shellfish have high mercury levels?  I haven't seen any mention of it and I love all seafood.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alto2. Show Alto2's posts

Generally speaking, the lower you get on the food chain, the better. I think most bivalves, shellfish, and smaller fish tend to not accumulate heavy metals like the larger species (like tuna) do.

Go to the website for The Monterey Bay Aquarium – they produce a nice, printable guide for sustainability, and may have info on mercury as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Fra- while pregnant I have eaten, shrimp, lobster, steamers, haddock, all within moderation.  My doc specifically said to stay away from swordfish, king crab legs...the other is escaping me...basically the bigger the fish the higher the mercury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Now, that's something I definitely wouldn't stress about during the 2WW, honestly.  The ones to avoid are tuna, swordfish, shark and tilefish.  You'll get a whole packet of literature about what not to eat at your intake appointment, nothing super-surprising.  But, honestly, and I don't mean to sound flip, but you have a long 40 weeks of food/drink/life restrictions, I wouldn't borrow restrictions in advance. 

If you love seafood, eat it.  As long as you're not overloading on one type on a daily basis, you should be just fine, and I think the benefits outweigh any risks. 

During the 2ww, I'd focus more on what you SHOULD be eating, like leafy greens & a variety of fruits and veggies, protein and calcium.  Make sure you're getting enough folic acid, and enjoy your favorite foods, as they may become beyond revolting in a few short weeks.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

the brigham and women's documentation says to avoid lobster from new england - i was surprised to see that - i guess it's high in mercury.  sorry if i ruined anyone's day!!!  i've had it since i got pg though.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I feel like I have some insight on this given my experience with hypermesis (clinically severe morning sickness)during the first 14 weeks of my pregnancy.

During the first 14 weeks of pregnancy, I absorbed less than 300 calories a day, lost 17 lbs., spent several nights in the hospital hooked up to an IV, and received a medication (Phenergan), which contained an amphetemine.

If these factors didn't cause damage, I really can't imagine that some caffeine or a glass of wine would.

What I heard from the experts, and believe me alot of them poked and prodded me, the only thing my baby really needed in the first 12 weeks was water, as much as I could stand. Food, nutrients and pre-natals came later. They even suggested I try caffine to trigger an ability to eat, or an experimental glass of red wine to calm me down and get some calories into me (a one time thing, I couldn't keep either option down anyway).

I'm 30 weeks now, had a great amnio, the baby is the proper size and weight, well formed based on the u/s and I'm feeling good.

While you always do your best to eat the right things, stressing out about what you do or fail to do in your 2WW is probably more harmful than anything you could put in your mouth. Pregnancy is a long, ugly ride, you have to pace yourself and be realistic. It doesn't get easier.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm looking for some honest opinions on caffeine consumption.  We all have different thresholds, so I won't be offended if someone says, "OMG that is too much!  Are you crazy?!!"  :o)

This week, I have been getting a medium half decaf iced coffee at DD (24 oz).  That means only 12 oz have caffeine, but some of the oz are displaced by ice, so I figure that brings me down to the recommended maximum of 10 oz.  Clearly I am biased here, so tell me if I am trying too hard to make it acceptable.  I think decaf has a negligible amount of caffeine as well.

On the days when I make coffee at home it is a travel mug of half caff - probably 12-16 oz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

You are going to get a lot of different opinions, but my personal opinion is it is fine.  My doctor told me she would rather I only drink regular coffee and not decaf because it is unknown what chemicals are used to take out the caffiene.  So I daily have 10oz of regular coffee, that is all I need, but friends have had lg DD coffee thru their pregnancy's and their kids are just fine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for mentioning the decaf/chemical thing.  I went with a small iced today instead.  I always try to avoid chemicals and artficial sweeteners when possible.

That reminds me, the guy in line behind me totally ordered a coffee with "three Splenders".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Good luck Fram it is always a crap shoot, but I think the important thing is that you care cognizant about your choices, but the fact that there is so much conflicting info makes it difficult to make a decison.

Oh and I can so see someone ordering with "Splender" rather than "Splenda" and it is one of my pet peeves of the accent around here.  So many people change a vowel particularlly the "a" at the end of a word to an "er".  It drives me bonkers when my boss calls a coworker "Moniker" rather than "Monica". But that is a rant for a different place, sorry for the highjack.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Fram, I'd refer back to ML's post -- I love her approach to this whole issue.  My opinion?  I think that what you're describing sounds like very appropriate caffeiene consumption, but when you start worrying about ice-displacement (and I'm not making fun -- I get it, trust me!) I think it's time to remember that you could do a whooole lot worse than over-consume a few ounces of caffeine.  Strive for balance and moderation, and figure you'll wind up OK.  Again, that's just my opinion. 

In terms of what I put in practice?  I have my iced skim latte in the morning, which I looked up and it has about 150mg of caffeine, under the 200mg I found quoted (I am bad a gauging measures so I went with that bright line).  Occasionally I will break and go for an afternoon coffee treat ... interestingly, I was doing the half-decaf thing, but the chemical element is a whole new insight.  I may have to reevaluate that, as I am super-down (both now and pre-PG) on chemicals in food in general.  Hmmm ...

One last thing -- I found it easier to focus on what I SHOULD be eating for the baby than what I shouldn't.  I mean, the ultimate irony would be measuring out my alloted tuna or caffeine but forgetting my pre-natal, or not getting enough dairy, you know?  That kind of helps me refocus. 
    Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgs14. Show mgs14's posts

My doctor presented it this way ...you are the vessel for your baby and for nine months giving up caffeine, alcohol, shellfish and deli meats should be a small sacrifice for the overall health of the baby. 
    so basically, these small sacrifices now go a long way

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Opinions are a dime a dozen, but scientifically sound studies are another.  It's not my opinion that consuming over 100mg of caffiene per day has been correlated to a higher incidence of miscarriage meaning by definition that there were some miscarriages that occurred because of the caffeine that would not have happened otherwise.  If 10.0% of the general population have m/c, and 10.5% of the study women have m/c, it means that 0.5% of those women would not have had miscarriages if they didn't have the caffeine.  There's no way to tell WHICH ones would have had one anyway, just that there was an increase.

Therefore, I make sure to keep my daily caffeine consumption under 100 mg to ensure that if I have a miscarriage it definitely would have happened anyway and was not due to the caffeine - I would be absolutely sure and I like that idea. 

I don't want to have 400 a day and wonder if it was due to a chromosomal problem (or other non-caffeine related cause) or due to my caffeine consumption.  There would be no way to to tell, and that would bother me. 

But, that's just me - I don't have an opinion about what anyone else should do.  Any doctor that says caffeine is totally safe would make me wonder where he got that degree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Kar, this thread has been dead since June...so why you refering to me?  What you or anyone else does is up to them.  Im sorry my comment from months ago is bothering you.  There is so much medical crap on the internet and books that it is enough to make you crazy, so if my doctor says I can and can't do things, that is how Im choosing to go about my pregnancy's and you can do what you feel best for you.  Im really not trying to be a jerk, b*tch or anything, but its hard getting thru the critical weeks without having all these scientific reasons why you could or couldnt have a miscarriage, which is where my comment stemmed from back then.  Sorry for callin you out back then.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Phew...I am just glad my OB is in the "moderation" camp. I definitely agree with ML and GC to focus in on getting what the baby needs instead of worrying too much about the other stuff.

As for my body being a "vessel", yes that was true and I took the responsibility seriously. However, when I was having trouble eating any food and the only thing that would work was a tuna sandwich, I didn't beat myself up over it. I figured that having some nutrition, along with not having a mental breakdown over food was the very best way I take care of baby, DH, and MYSELF. Yes, being a a vessel for another human being involves taking care of mom, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When you condescendingly say, "Honestly, Kar..." it bothers me given that I only posted study facts not my opinion about them, and it happening to be the first post on the last page brought it to my attention when someone else posted and, given that I'm PMSing, it bugged me, again. ;)

No worries here, sorry to have mentioned it.  I should muzzle myself every month.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

All you pregnant ladies - or desiring to be - are much too hard on yourselves. When I was trying to conceive or being pregnant - there were no restrictions. Just lived a normal life, eating and drinking whatever I felt like. Have to say, I was not much of a caffeine and alcohol consumer, but if I felt like having a cocktail or a glass of wine, I would have it, without thinking how it would affect my unborn baby. I didn't look for mercury in the tuna cans or didn't curtail any seafood. Still I had no miscarriages and two very healthy babies.
    I do respect you for doing the very best for you baby or fetus. I am only trying to get across, that sometimes the medical science goes a bit too far. And it scares you off.
    Wishing all of you a very healthy pregnancy - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Pingo, I understand what you're getting at, but pregnant women really shouldn't be drinking or consuming mercury-laden fish. Let's not go all Betty Draper in our rejection of total asceticism.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Some studies are inconclusive and then the medical and media DO go too far with results that are hazy at best and people make decisions based on faulty evidence.  It's too bad, really, that every two bit study goes viral on the internet and causes a panic.

Others studies, however, are statistically sound enough to be considered proof of increased risk  (risk is NOT a fortelling of failure, but a statistical rate of failure) to the fetus.  How anyone handles that knowledge with their own babies is their business, but just because our moms never knew about it and happened to be in the group that had successful pregnancies nonetheless doesn't mean the increased risk wasn't always there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

If my OB had referred to me as a vessel, I would have been looking hard at new OB's, honestly. 

There's no discussing this issue, honestly -- everyone's opionions and approach is way too ingrained to allow for meaningful discussion, and there's the Fear Card that makes it really hard to allow for civil disagreement.  To be fair, Pingo, I think I remember your posting that your kiddos are well into their 30's at this point, and ... well, things change.  I'm not sure that mercury-in-tuna was even a hot topic back then, although I can't be sure as I was happily gestating myself in a cloud of Winston smoke (two packs a day; thanks, Mom) & whiskey sours. 

I think what's frustrating about these posts is that is so often devolves into moms and moms-to-be hating on each other, citing studies and "my OB says" and what it boils down to is what feels right to you.  So there's no winning. 

I think it goes like this: before you get pregnant, you have very strongly held opinions about health, diet, exercise & pregnancy.  Then you get pregnant, and you are too freaked out, happy and sick (in many cases) to do any of those things.  You pretty much avoid everything that isn't a pre-natal vitamin or broccoli.  Then you hit the second trimester (hopefully) and start to feel a little bit less freaked out and back to normal and you have your One Thing that you have -- whether it's a small cup of coffee or the occasional tuna sandwich or whatever.  But unpasteurized cheese?  No Way. 

Then you're in the third, and you've been pregnant for what seems like a million years and you start saying things like, "Louis Pasteur got born somehow, pass the feta," or "Baby's cooked, can I have a sip of that?"

And, if you're anything like me, you hit 39 weeks and four days and if someone told you a martini bender would shake this baby loose, you'd think HARD about it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There are studies that are conclusive and others that are hardly more than rumor.  How anyone interprets the studies (or does so vicariously through their doctors) and acts on the reported risks is personal.  I completely fail to see how those statements are inflamatory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Not to flame the fire, Kar, but where did the reference to 100mg of caffeine come from?  Everything I have seen has mentioned a limit of 200 or 300mg.  Is it the specific study you referenced that focused on 100mg?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Fram,

Yeah, there are many studies that DO indicate that up to 300 mg is not correlated to an increase in m/c risk, but others dispute it.  However, all studies' that I know of conclude that consuming under 100 mg per day is not correlated at ALL to ANY statistical increase in m/c risk.  200 - 300 is a grayer area, statistically speaking, it seems.

As for the specific studies, I'll have to go back and find those - it was 2 years ago that I did all this research (right after my own m/c).

This article sums up why I hold my position (not that it's the only correct one) in a much more eloquent fashion that I can write and will have to suffice until I have more time to do the research myself again.

Science Daily

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---To be fair, Pingo, I think I remember your posting that your kiddos are well into their 30's at this point, and ... well, things change.---

Yes, GC - you are right. Things do indeed change. But not always for the better.
    I used to be a researcher in the medical profession, and still read all the medical scientific literature, I can get my hands on. There are great studies and there are not so great studies. One has to remember to take most with a grain of salt. Just because a PhD student give a dissertation on a subject, does not mean it is all true.
    I think it is wonderful, that you new want-to-be mothers take all the precautions to deliver a healthy baby. But no one can say, that if you didn't - your baby would be less healthy. I do not believe for a moment, that if you eat a tuna sandwich once in a great while or have a glass of wine on occasion, you will have a miscarriage or your baby will be born with defects.
    Like everything else in life - everything in moderation. Wishing you all healthy pregnancies and most of all healthy babies - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts