Advanced Maternal Age and TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Advanced Maternal Age and TTC

I have a question involving advanced maternal age and TTC.  Does anyone have any good sources of information for genetic abnormalities or related problems and conception when one is older?  Also, what is the name of the test that they can do to see how many eggs you have left and the viability/health of those eggs? 

DH and I had a talk the other night about TTC. What that means is I brought up the subject of TTC and he participated until I mentioned that we should discuss a cutoff age for TTC at which point he started to freak out internally and shut down verbally.  [This is his typical response to topics that he doesn't like, so it wasn't unusual that he acted this way.  lol.]  I don't want to have a child if that child is not going to be healthy and whole.  I realize there is no guarantee but he and I are on the same page re fetal abnormalities like Downs and the like.  [Please, keep your opinions about this topic to yourself - I know our POV is not a popular one, but it's a very personal decision and one we've already made even before conception.  We discussed that before we even got married and reached a concensus on that issue].   I am now 37 and DH is 35 so the quality of our chromosomes is becoming an issue.  I think 40 is a reasonable cut off age for TTC, but I would like some info to back this up. If a test can assure me that my eggs are fine, then I'll go as high as 45.  I don't want to go higher than that b/c of chromosome issues and b/c it won't be fair to the child if we are that old when the child is growing up.  It would be nice to be around after the child graduates HS and college - not to mention paying for college when you are in your 60s. 

DH then brought up the issue of donors and dropped a bomb that his brother and SIL had their twin girls w/ donor eggs.  I had no idea.  However, I am against using a donor for many reasons.  Number one, if I don't want to take drugs or use medical intervention to get myself pregnant, why on earth would he think I'd be okay w/ using a donor egg.  Hello!  Number 2, he doesn't want to adopt. I'm guessing b/c he wants his own biological kid. Which is fine.  I'd rather have my own and would only adopt if he felt really strongly about it.  But why is it okay that he has a biological child that I get to carry to term when it's not my biological child?  Also, I think there is a point at which you are too old to start a family, even if it is possible w/ donors or w/ your own eggs. 

In any event, I'm rambling here.  Any thoughts on AMA and TTC or tests for egg health/viablity would be much appreciated.  Thanks ladies. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: AMA and TTC

I am no expert on the subject, but can share what my experience has been. I am pregnant with my first at 37 (conceived soon after I turned 37 and will deliver about 6 weeks before I turn 38). I see my regular OB and a high-risk OB because I am AMA. There are no specific indicators that I HAVE to see the high-risk OB, it's just standard practice for my office. I actually quite enjoy seeing both and the high-risk OB is the one to handle all of my ultrasounds and testing. Neither doctor has ever made me feel paranoid or scared because of my age. If anything, they have been more laid back about my age than I ever expected. They both say that they don't get too worried while a woman is still in her 30's, assuming that she is healthy, in good shape, and there's no family history of any genetic problems. They are honest in that they have to share the statistical risks that may come with age, but I have always been treated as an individual patient. I decided to do an NT scan to determine if there was an indication of risks to go ahead with an amnio. When my results came back very good, we decided not to go ahead with any further testing and I never once was pressured into reconsidering that decision.

I don't know about any testing that can be done on your eggs, etc. It might be worth meeting with a high-risk OB when you next go because I am sure s/he could answer many of your questions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Re: Advanced Maternal Age and TTC

I'll add my two cents since I just gave birth to my first child at the age of 38 (now 39 years old).

You're right that there is a test they can do to determine egg quantity and maybe quality(?), but I don't think it will actually say anything about your chances of conceving a child with any abnormalities since you wouldn't be able to predict which egg gets fertilized.  I know they can screen your eggs if you are doing assisted repro stuff, but with the all natural route, it's sort of luck of the draw.

There is plenty of testing that goes on when you do get pregnant, especially for us AMA people. I went through weeks of worry when they were unable to get a good scan at my 13 week nuchal translucency screening.  This u/s is used to measure the nuchal fold at the back of the baby's neck to gauge risk factor for down's syndrome and triplodies.  Since the baby wouldn't move to the correct angle to measure, we then had to wait until 15-16 weeks to do a quad screen blood test.  My results came back with a high risk of downs (1 in 87 - I think over age 35, we already start at 1 in 100 risk of downs and the blood test can only make it worse). I ultimately opted for an amnio because I needed to be sure what we were dealing with. My husband and I would have considered termination if downs had been diagnosed, but to be honest, we were conflicted at that point.  Once the baby is growing and you've seen and heard the heartbeat for weeks, it's a hard decision to make. In any case, our amnio results came back fine and our son was born in February with ZERO problems.  The rate of false positives on these tests is very high so I would be leery about trusting any tests without a lot of double-checking. In Massachusetts, you can choose to terminate for medical resons up to 22 or 24 weeks.  We had our amnio at 19 weeks.

I don't have any good references for you but I'm sure there are some books or websites out there that can help.  Once I got pregnant, I read "Your Over-35 Week by Week Pregnancy Guide"; this book also had a small section on TTC.

Obviously only you and your husband can decide how long you want to continue trying.  In my opinion, 40 is sort of my cut-off too, but now I'm starting to question that as we try to decide whether to try for number 2. I don't want to be much older than 40, but I want to have at least a year and hald or two years between kids.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Just to respond to Notanewbie, the blood test doesn't always just indicate a worse/higher risk than average. My risk for Downs came back at 1:3121, even though the general statistic for age 37 is 1:100. I also had the organ scan at 19 weeks before we made any final decisions about the amnio. It was a personal decision, but I didn't see the point of having a test that comes with some risk (albeit small) when there was no indication that it was necessary.
    I wholeheartedly believe that every family needs to do whatever testing they feel is important and gives them the best peace of mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, I have no data to add, but I did want to say that we totally relate.

kiwi, congrats and thanks for the insight into individual patients vs. stats.  I'm really into the stats of life and sometimes forget that we are individuals.  1:100 vs. 1:3000 is an enormous difference!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, ladies.  I have an aunt that is mentally retarded on my mother's side and a great aunt on my dad's side that we think was mentally retarded [it was one of those, "we keep Sister in the attic b/c we don't want people to know she isn't normal" situations that was not uncommon w/ alot of families around the 1930s].  So, we do have some risk factor in addition to age. 

Does anyone have any idea what the name of the 'how many viable eggs do I have left' test could be?  I want to google it and do some research, but I can't find anything that will let me start a preliminary search.  There is just so much TTC info out there that I am a bit overwhelmed trying to find this. 

I really appreciate everyone's insight and personal experiences too.  Thanks! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

I don't know about the name of the test but you should be able to get a referal to a geneticist to do some preliminary testing to see if you are a "carrier" or pre disposed to something that you know runs in the families.

A very good friend of mine did this with her husband because he had a risk factor in his family.  He had lost a sibling to a diease that is very much like ALS and it was very painful for the sibling as well as the the family as you can imagine.  They didn't want to put themselves into that position so they were able to test for that and the family of that type of gene.  They were able to get the results on him and then the subsequent test on her and are able to better assess their risk. 

I believe they worked with a doctor out of MGH and the geneticist was part of the "childrens" department and not fertility.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

Alf - this website may point you in the right direction.

http://www.advancedfertility.com/day3fsh.htm

I had the FSH testing which they do on Day 3 which I think determines ovarian reserve.  They also have the Clomid challenge test which I don't think you want because you have to take Clomid.   They test your FSH and estradiol levels you take the Clomid for five days and get more blood work.  They will do this if your Day 3 FSH levels come back okay and are still have trouble conceiving.  I hope this helps.  Check out the website it's pretty good.

You and I are the same age and I had both of these tests.  My original FSH was not quite as good as they like to see, but my clomid challenge test was fine.

Did you have your doctor's appt?  How did it go?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Thanks, OCC. I will def. check out that site.

I had my drs appt on Monday [it's summarized in my exercise thread].  Basically, it went fine. I'm not doing anything that would prevent me getting pg and I have the okay to continue doing what I've been doing.  The doctor thinks that based on my history and health that we should be pg w/ in the next 6-12 months.  We've been trying since Nov 07, but DH was stationed in CT [and I'd only see him on the weekends] for 5-6 cycles and then I was laid up w/ a badly sprained ankle for about 2 cycles, so we've really only been 'trying' w/o outside issues for about a year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Just to respond to Notanewbie, the blood test doesn't always just indicate a worse/higher risk than average. My risk for Downs came back at 1:3121, even though the general statistic for age 37 is 1:100.
    Posted by kiwigal

That's good to know.  Maybe I misunderstood my genetics counselor or she may have mis-stated the facts. I didn't realize that you could improve your odds with the blood test.  We also waited until we had done as much non-invasive testing as possible before doing the amnio.  We did not want to risk a miscarriage unless we had exhausted all other options.  We met with the geneticist and had the "20 week" ultrasound to see if that could provide better info to improve the odss we were given from the blood test.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Advanced Maternal Age and TTC:
    Thanks, OCC. I will def. check out that site. I had my drs appt on Monday [it's summarized in my exercise thread].  Basically, it went fine. I'm not doing anything that would prevent me getting pg and I have the okay to continue doing what I've been doing.  The doctor thinks that based on my history and health that we should be pg w/ in the next 6-12 months.  We've been trying since Nov 07, but DH was stationed in CT [and I'd only see him on the weekends] for 5-6 cycles and then I was laid up w/ a badly sprained ankle for about 2 cycles, so we've really only been 'trying' w/o outside issues for about a year. 
    Posted by ALF72

That's great news, ALF!  It's nice to have a reason it's taking so long be merely vicinity!

Sections
Shortcuts