April TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: April TTC

Great news Jenn!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Jenn!

AFM, Day 31 and no sign of AF.  I broke down and tested Day 29 (I knew I shouldn't have bought that test) and BFN.  So what do I do now?  Continue to wait for AF? Test again in a few days?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Jenn!! We're so happy for you!!!

My doc said after my m/c to call as soon as I got a BFP and to let the nurse know that I had previously had a m/c so that they can start monitoring.  The nurses don't always look at your record when setting up the blood draw appts/ first visit.... so make sure you're an advocate for yourself and let them know that this BFP is following a previous m/c.

CLC... I generally test every other day until the BFNs are confirmed by A/F.  But then again, I have a whole box of the el cheapo pg tests, so it doesnt cost me much to take this approach. 

AFM... Finishing out the 2ww -  CD28 is Friday.  DH is so excited this month.  He is actually counting down the days with me.  Part of me is getting frustrated that we are going on 6 months now with no luck... the other part of me thinks it is a mixed blessing because it is giving DH an opportunity to see that this is something that he really wants.  (before he was going along with it because it was what I wanted).  I knew he would come around... but the fact that we will be really trully celebrating a BFP together when we eventually get it will make it that much more special than if it were only me who was super excited and he was freaking out.  Now if only Friday could get here!  I want to know :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Congrats Jenn!!  I echo what the other ladies said about calling the dr. right away.  I (fortunately) only had 1 experience with a chemical pg the month before my BFP and they got me in right away to do blood work 48 hrs apart to see what my progesterone levels were and to see how the hcg was behaving.  I also had an early u/s (we thought it was 6 weeks, turned out to be 5.5 wks) and a follow up u/s 2 wks later to make sure things were going along as they should be.  I am fortunate that my practice was on top of things.  Going through each of those steps was helpful for me, so if your dr isn't suggesting them, I might advocate for it myself.

Good luck getting through this week Boston! CLC, I don't have any worthwhile advice, but still sending you positive thoughts.  Best of luck to the 2ww-ers, OPK testers and BD-ers!  Hope those on vacation are enjoying being away from the still too cold for me Boston weather....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I had a little bit of a different experience with the early testing than some--I needed to have it because of my very high risk for ectopic pregnancy, but if I had the choice, I probably would choose not to have it if I were only at risk were for early miscarriage.  The early testing doesn't make a miscarriage more or less likely, and I found it terrifying--and they told me, wrongly, that my pregnancy was not viable based on my first ultrasound, leading to a lot of unnecessary grieving.  So, I think it's something where it's worth weighing the possibility that it will needlessly scare or stress you against the possibility that it will be reassuring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Thanks everyone.  I called the doctor's office today and did mention to them that I had a M/C before, and they are going to let my doctor know and then call me back later today or tomorrow morning to schedule an appointment.  I'm not sure if I can handle an u/s this early, since last time they could not see anything and that's what led to me having a bunch of tests and eventually a D&C.  However, I do like the idea of monitoring my blood levels for a couple of days and then perhaps having the u/s at 6 or 7 weeks once they can actually see something (hopefully). 

What's sad is that when I got the BFP it was pretty anticlimactic.  DH and I looked at each other and basically said, "we'll see if it sticks this time".  The first time we got it we were over the moon.  I know some people on here have been trying a lot longer than we have and have had more M/C's or chemical pregnancies than we have, but it amazes me how cautious we've become after just one m/c.  I don't think I'll be able to be truly excited until the 2nd trimester.  Or, maybe once I have an u/s and hear the heartbeat.  I'm sure I will get more excited as we get further along and I realize that it is going to stick.  But until then, I'm just trying to stay grounded and realistic and not get my hopes up too high.  We are definitely not telling anyone (outside of this board) this time until all is confirmed and the green light is given by the doctor.  But thank you all for giving me this outlet to share and be honest and get excited for others, even if I'm not quite ready to be excited for myself yet :)

clc, I would wait another day or two and test again.  If you are pretty regular around day 28, then by day 31 you should be able to see something on a basic pg test. But, perhaps day 29 was too early.  All tests are different and have different sensitivity levels.  I tested on cd 31 and got the BFP.  But then, my cycles are pretty much like clockwork on day 28.  Good luck to you!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Jenn, I totally hear you on how anticlimactic it is after one (or in my case, two) bad experiences!  I got my most recent BFP the month after my chemical pregnancy, and here is literally how I told my husband, "Well, I know I'm like a broken record with this ****, but that looks like a second line to me."  And then I started driving him crazy by freaking out about all the things that could go wrong.  Very romantic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thank you everyone.  I'm only a few months off BC so I'm not sure when to expect AF.  The first month I got AF on day 28 so I was hoping this month would be the same.  Apparently not.  I will most likely test tomorrow if AF doesn't arrive.  At this point I would just like to know either way, the anticipation is killing me.

Out of curiosity, how are each of you approaching this process with your SO?  DH and I were talking about thing this past weekend and he's not sure if he wants to know each time I test.  However, he also thinks he will be sad if he missed the BFP.  Of course we are just starting this process so things could change but I was wondering how others are handling it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

CLC - Its good you guys are talking about it now. Neutral conversations are best. Our first converstion about it went something like this:

ME:  If I were to take a pg test would you want to know beforehand?
    DH:  I dunno, why?
    ME:  B/c I'm two days late and have felt sick for the last four days
    DH:  Holy sh!t!  Why did you tell me that? Do you think you are? Now I want to know.  Lets go get a test.  You can pee in the CVS bathroom

I as able to convince him to wait it out another day, but he called/texted me like 10 times wanting to know if AF had come yet (no, no, not yet, i'll call you if anything changes love...).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Jenn, I also totally hear you on your feelings of not wanting to feel too excited just yet.  I only had the one chemical pg, but it does make you cautious.  Take things as they feel natural to you and try not to stress out while you're in the "what's going on?" period.  (I know, easier said than done.)  I think when I tested this last time and got the BFP, we both kind of looked at each other, shrugged, and said ok, let's hope for the best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

Congrats on the recent BFPs, so exciting!

This is my 2nd cycle off BCPs. Before BCPs, my cycle was 27-31 days. On CD 9 I started testing 2x per day with OPKs (cheapie, internet strips). First few times, I got nothing, not even a shadow of a line. Then the night of CD 12, the test line was light. Not even remotely close to the control line, but it was there. Then, it got lighter and lighter and now it is totally gone. So... :/  I'm thinking that might've been my body's way of saying 'positive'?? Not sure.

I've also started charting and my temps were 97.7 on CDs 12, 13, 14. Then 97.5 on CDs 15 and 16. Today, CD 17, I woke up and it was 97.9. So....I'm wondering if that's enough of a temp spike to show I O'ed? Of course, we haven't BD'ed AT ALL, so if I did O, we totally missed it. I guess if my temp remains on the higher side the next few mornings, I probably did?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

CLC, my DH will occasionally ask for info and then I'll give him an update. It's actually kind of cute: "So, how's that temperature thing going?" "Hey, maybe you're pregnant today!"

It's my first cycle off BC (the patch) and my body is doing weird things. I'm on CD19, but I'm not convinced that I've O'd yet. My temp also never goes above 97 (maybe that's why I'm always cold).

Glitzy, I think it's 2 degrees higher than other temps that indicate you've O'd, so maybe you're there. Seduce your DH tonight! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Glitzy, sorry I don't have any advice for you.  I didn't use OPK's or chart temperature.  We figured if it didn't happen after another cycle, we'd start charting/testing.  I was just using a calendar method and trying to BD between CD's 10-16 and hoping for the best.  It seems like it worked, if all sticks.  :)

I have a question.  My doctor's office called back and scheduled my first prenatal appointment for May 12, which puts me at 10 weeks from start of last MP.  Do you think that's too late?  I was kind of surprised they didn't want me to come in for blood work or anything before that, given my m/c was at 6.5 weeks.  Do you think I should call back and push for bloodwork earlier, or just leave it be? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Jennifyr, your appt time seems normal. I'm 'advanced maternal age' with other risk factors and they set my appt up for 10 weeks as well.  With a prior M/C you could try to see if they have an earlier date, but if this is your same OBGYN, they know about your prior mc.  It's possible they missed it in the charts when scheduling, so you could call and ask, but I don't think there is anything wrong w/ a first appt 10 weeks out. 

clc, we have been TTC for several years. For hte first 6-9 months, I gave DH regular updates. We later had a discussion wherein we decided that I would only tell him if I were pg.  Do what works for you, but DH seemed so bummed out w/ all my negative reports that I suggested that I only tell him if I got a positive.  Even when I got a positive, he didn't believe me till I confirmed w/ a blood test.  He was so devastated after my m/c that I've decided not to even tell him I'm pg [if I ever get pg again] until my first prenatal appt scheduled b/c I know he'll want to go. HTH!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Jenn...it all depends on your comfort level.  I pushed for a blood test when I got pregnant after my miscarriage, because I wanted to see that things were progressing...I remember the phone call confirming the pregnancy, was April 1 last year!  That said, I didn't have my first MW app't until about 3 weeks later. 

I was definitely more cautious in terms of my excitement level the second time.  We told my parents right away, because they had been such great supporters after the MC, but didn't tell anyone else until after I had the first app't, saw the heartbeat, and was past the date of my first MC.  Even then it was hard, b/c even though I was excited, I was still mourning the loss from 2 months before...which was something that a lot of people didn't understand.  And the due date from the first pregnancy was a tough day for me...very bittersweet, you know?  Grateful to be pregnant, but still sad for the loss of the first pregnancy. 

Whatever you do, it has to be what works best for you, because if there are any ways to lessen anxiety or worry - like by asking for a blood test - you should do it! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Jenn- I agree with what others said.  If you think that you will feel more comfortable knowing where your progesterone levels stand and whether your hcg levels are increasing, you should ask the dr about that given your last experience with the chemical pg.  If you don't think that it will give you additional comfort, then it's not necessarily worth it.

The first appt is typically around 8-10 weeks and I don't know if most practices schedule an ultrasound around that time as well.  For me, I was reassured by having the 48 hrs apart rounds of bloodwork right away, then the early ultrasounds to see how things are progressing.  But, I totally hear what Thistle had to say about her experience being a lot less reassuring.  Good luck and definitely do what you feel would put you more at ease!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

My first actual prenatal appointment was 9 weeks.  Before that, my gynecologist monitored me.  I had to push for that; at first when I called they were like, no, we don't see people until 8-10 weeks, and then they looked at my chart and saw that I had a) a prior right side ectopic and b) a blocked left tube, and then they called me freaking out and were like, "Come in now, today." 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

Woke up this morning and had a temp of 97.6, so looks like I didn't O. oh well, I guess I'll just give it more time and keep testing. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm on cd 32 and still no AF. I tested yesterday and got another BFN. I guess AF is just taking her time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Glitzy, two things to take into account w/ your temp: One, it's allergy season. If you have allergies or a cold and sleep w/ your mouth open, this may impact your temperature.  Two, if you get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, it's going to affect your waking temperature unless you got up more than 4 hrs earlier that you wake and test.  

The only way to get around one is to use another orifice to test, if you know what I mean. ;-)  I think TCYOF references this.  As for the second, you could reduce the amount of fluid you drink before going to bed. 

Also, check out TCYOF regarding 'the rule of thumb' for temperature.  You also read the temps as a whole, rather than on a day by day occurrence. It's quite possible you o'ed already, even w/ that fluctuating temp.  HTH and GL! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GlitzyCity. Show GlitzyCity's posts

Thanks for info ALF. I have TCOYF and will def look into that. Haven't had time to settle down and give it a good read lately, but have been skimming thru it each chance I get. I keep that book hidden in my bureau drawer under t-shirts--I think DH would be disconcerted by it, haha.

I now have a chart on FF, too, so hopefully it'll help me get a good overview.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Glitzy, I used to chart on ff, too. I found it to be pretty helpful. Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I have been sooo tired this week.  I am really starting to hope it is because I'm pg and not because I am getting sick.  I felt like I was wading through mud all day yesterday.  CD28 is Saturday ... we we should know one way or the other early next week. We have a super busy weekend and are staying at the in-laws... so it should be pretty easy to avoid testing until Monday... but that doesn't mean I don't want to! 

Off to bed for me ... 6am is going to come way too early... I think I could sleep for about a week if given the opportunity.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glitz, your issues with temping and how sensitive it is to mouth breathing, standing up, blah blah blah, is why I didn't do it.  How are you hiding it from DH if you need to keep the thermometer on the nightstand and take your temp every morning before you sit up?

I'm 1/2 way through the 2ww.  Not feeling a thing.  GL to the other 2wwers!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

For temping, I just tried to take my temp roughly around the same time every day, and it was pretty obvious (between the temping and the test strips) that I was ovulating every month, and when--the charts came out pretty clear when viewed at the end of the month.  I didn't really worry about all the things they say can affect results and they didn't seem to have much effect.  I think the strips are a lot more useful for ttc purposes because unlike temping they give you a heads up in advance, but it was reassuring temping for a few months as well.