April TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: April TTC

re the Pre-seed: be careful w/ that stuff. When they say 'slippery' they mean it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think adding mucusy stuff helps, does it?  Pre-seed just makes sex possible if you are too dry and need help in that department - in that sense it definitely helps conceive, but I'm not sure about any other sense.  

The expectorant works because it takes the mucus you have and makes it stretchier - it doesn't create more mucus.

Pre-seed is advised for BDing because it doesn't hinder sperm, not because it helps them any, I think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I agree with Kargiver, pre-seed does not help with the CM but it helps make BD-ing more enjoyable when doing every other day or every day.

Like ALF be very careful with it... you only need to fill the applicator to the 1/4 line.  I made the mistake of using the full appilcator amount and it made a big mess.  Plus DH refused to get any where near me until I cleaned most of it off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never even used the applicator, just put about 2 peas worth on my finger, and applied.  DH never even knew.  Besides, it's too expensive to waste.

If you can BD naturally without adding any "help" you should do it au natural.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Kar, I do the same thing!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Does the job!  I swear, they include an applicator and tell you to use 10 times too much just to make more money!  Money mouth

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

I know what CM is, but what is EW?  Also, I have never heard of pre-seed or using Mucinex - what a wealth of information you all are!

I had an intake interview with a nurse at MGH today to get my health history and discuss risk factors.  I still have my first appointment at 10 weeks, but it was nice to talk to someone and get a few questions answered. 

I am still not quite ready to move to the pregnancy boards, but I am lurking.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I believe EW stands for egg white... Either that or I completely made that up and it stands for something much more clinical :o)

I don't mean this to sound condescneding in ANY way, but I'm always surprised when people say they can't distinguish between CM and other fluids.  Maybe it's just me, but I find that CM truly looks like egg whites.  It's much thicker, stringier, and more clear than both regular discharge and ejaculation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I could tell the difference side by side, but all mixed together is another story.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

My BBT dropped this morning so I didn't bother testing...on to cycle #2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

No, preseed does not help w/ creating mucus, but if you read TCOYF, it says it can act like it. Unlike other lubricants, it does not impede swimmers and may even help them reach their destination.

Re difficulty distinguishing CM: yes, it's pretty easy to have a hard time w/ this.  If you are young, healthy and don't take any medication, ti's pretty easy to figure it out. If you take antihistimines, or are older and drier in general, you tend not to produce as much.  If you are looking for it, you can generally find it, but I definitely have much less than I did in my 20s when I didn't have seasonal allergies and have a lubrication issue b/c of those meds.  Asthma meds have the same effect on my CM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I'm 39 and CM is a lost cause for me.  I had no idea pre-seed could actually help other than allowing for BDing in the first place.  Thanks for the correction, ALF!

ETA:  By the way, apparently it's not so unusual or baseless to be confused:

From cervicalmucus.org:

Egg white: This is your most fertile cervical mucus. Record “egg white” if your cervical mucus looks at all like egg whites.  It should be stretchy and clear, or clear tinged with white, or even clear tinged with pink. It also resembles semen (and has a lot of the same physical properties to allow the sperm to travel and be nourished). You should be able to stretch it between your thumb and index finger.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I am entertained by the fact that CM has it's own .org site.  lol.

Another good point, Kar: if you are doing the bd every day or every other day and TTC, you are going to have a wealth of stuff in your undies to analyze.  So don't be discouraged if you are having a hard time figuring out what is CM and what isn't. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

tomarra, I'm sorry to hear about your temp drop. It could just be a fluke (not trying to promote false hope; just sayin' :). How are you feeling?

Love all the EWCM discussion! I had the same issue the first time I used PreSeed - followed the instructions faithfully and definitely overdid it. And Kar, you're right - the stuff is expensive!! I haven't been able to find it at CVS, so I had to order it from drugstore.com. And of course wound up adding $30 more of makeup to get free shipping Embarassed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Wow!  I am so astonished at the wealth of information on CM, and I am with you Alf- a whole website dediated to it?!  Haha.  So much out there to learn...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

God I feel like an idiot, I drive all way to the doctors to find out my appointment wasn't today but Oct. 14.  I seriously need AF to show her face so I can move on.

I agree with everyone the whole CM thing can be confusing and there should be website dedicated to it (haha...can you imagine all the details & pictures!).

Tan, How are things going for you? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I noticed EWCM when I ovulated the first month that I was off the pill.  And then I noticed it again when I ovulated for the first time following my ectopic pregnancy.  Those were the only two times ever that I could identify it, and both were times when I was ovulating for the first time in many months--I'm not sure if that's the reason there was so much of it?  Anyway, I could never identify it in any other months, including all 3 of the months when I got pregnant.  I don't think mucinex or preseed or anything is a bad idea, but I don't think not seeing EWCM *necessarily* means that you don't have enough.  Just in case that's reassuring for anyone :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I sincerely apologize if my last post sounded discouraging.  As with so many things in TTC, CM must be different for everyone.  It looks so distinctive for me, but it must not be the case for everyone.  If it helps anyone, I would usually notice it while using the bathroom (either coming out or on TP), not in my underwear.  Keep your eyes peeled!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In terms of distinguishing between EWCM and the "other stuff," I think I read somewhere (here?) that the other stuff will dissolve in the toilet water where as EWCM will sink.  So if you're not sure, that's a good way of telling...  (I hope I don't have that backwards.) 

(And I'm with Fram - my EWCM was pretty distinctive...so much that the timing of my EWCM/suspected ovulation matched up with the age/size of my fetus when they first measured it at about 8 weeks, so I know exactly when I ovulated that cycle.) 

The easiest way I could tell was to get a bit in between my thumb and middle finger, and if it stretched between the two fingers at all, it was EWCM.  If not, it wasn't. 

Hope any of that helps...! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nothing to apologize for, Fram.  I think we've all learned just a bit more about CM today. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Interestingly, before I got pregnant I don't think I ever really noticed specific EWCM.  Since having DD, I can totally tell and I am not even trying to track it.  (Although in truth, I never tried to track it but it just seems to be jumping out at me every month now).  Hmmm.... wonder if that says anything about my fertility.  Probably not!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mommyfirst. Show Mommyfirst's posts

My 2 cents - like Fram I can always tell what is what and I am old ;) lol (41) but had first baby at 40.  As an aside, my very young cousin (20's) was told this week by a supposedly caring RE that stastically it does not take a healthy woman more than a year to get pregnant and she was just wasting her time to keep trying.  It turns out her eggs are poor quality even though she ovulates "normally" so RE said it would never happen without intervention.  She is distraught and so angry right now I don't know how to help.       

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mommy, that's so disappointing for your young cousin.  I can't imagine having to accept that so early in the regular childbearing age range.  There's nothing you can say, really - I mean she knows her options if she's talked to an RE, and she doesn't want those, she wants to be normal.  As she works through it, though, I'm sure she'll make the best of it with one of the many solutions there are, but until then she'll be hurt, disappointed, angry, etc., no matter how much love there is around her.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Mommy,  There is not much you can do for your cousin but just be there for her.  I would totally advise to seek a second option.  She may still get the same diagnosis but find a more supportive RE office.  In the end it's up too her and DH to decide what treatments (if any) they decide to take.  She may also want to take a look and eastern or western treatments as well to help de-stress that way help look at things in a clearer mind as well.  DH and I also went to seek a help with consular to make sure we were on the same page with treatments and also helped us work with our fear and feelings.  I  hope this helps and I will have her in my thoughts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Getting counseling with her DH is a great idea.  It can be VERY hard to discuss these things especially since they are young and probably haven't been married too long.  They've also been under the assumption that "of course" she can have kids and probably have never explored the idea of it not going according to plan.  A counselor can help them navigate these issues so they don't hit a rock or run aground in the process.

Sections
Shortcuts