April TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Re: April TTC

Stef - glad AF came!

I got a positive OPK on Sunday morning (CD 12). I've read that a lot of people on Clomid tend to ovulate later, so I'm questioning whether the test was accurate. I tried another test in the afternoon, but it was negative (possibly because I drank a fair amount of water before and didn't hold my pee for 3-4 hours before testing). I did another test on Monday and it was also negative. I haven't had a temp shift, so I don't think I've ovulated. We made sure to BD on Sunday and today, so we'll see what happens!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Stef, I gald for you.  Good luck in the next couple of months.

jleighla7, How exciting!  Just keep bd-ing unil your tired.  Good luck!

Thinking of all your ladies and wishing you the best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

stef, great news! 

jl, those tests work - the line is as dark as the LH concentration is in your pee (very close to or actually equalling the test line's darkness is a positive), and it triggers ovulation to occur 24 - 48 hours later.  Maybe the Clomid makes it closer to 48.  I know I ovulated closesr to 24 hours after a positive OPK (as evidenced by when AF came), and I wasn't on Clomid.  GL and trust that you had a surge if you saw a positive OPK...when exactly you'll ovulate after it, though, I can't tell ya.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I don't remember the details, but the OPKs won't be accurate before a certain cycle day during a clomid cycle.  Your doctor can probably tell you.  I know mine advised me not to use them before a certain day (I did anyway), but I just don't remember. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but while on clomid, I ovulated 2ce and got pregnant with fraternal twins.  I did OPKs starting a few days before the recommended window, and ending a few days after--about 2 weeks total.  During the recommended time, I did them twice--FMU and then around 2 or 3 pm while at work and never once got a positive on the strips or the smiley face kind.  I think the same thing happened to a couple of other people on here (Stefani? and someone else I can't remember).  I took a pregnancy test on CD 28 expecting a negative and was shocked when it was positive almost instantly.  My advice is not to rely on the OPKs to tell you anything.  If they do, great, but don't plan your "activities" around them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Interesting, Daisy! I will research what you said about OPKs not being accurate until a certain day. My doctor didn't mention using OPKs at all, but maybe I'll give her a call to ask. We're not planning our "activities" around them, just BDing acording to the schedule my doctor gave me (so romantic!).

I hope I have the same luck you did around CD 28!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JLeigh, I think you might have been testing a little early. I think the general rule is to start testing 3 days after you take your last Clomid. I think you said you were taking Clomid CD 5-10, so I wouldn't trust any result until at least CD13. I think they also say that you ovulate 5-9 days after your last Clomid, so again, you're a few days early. Not that getting an extra BD in there wouldn't hurt your chances, but I'd keep testing. (I was on Clomid days 2-6 and got my first smiley face on CD14.)

Stef, glad to see AF came along! It's funny that we're rooting for AF to come for some of us and hoping she stays away for others. Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Stef, high five on getting AF! Jleighla, good luck this cycle! Chiclet, are you in the 2ww? Did I make that up? I'm thinking about calling Guinness World Records and seeing if I can get on the books for world's longest cycle. Hypothetically, if after a year of trying, nothing happens and I'm at the doc's again, would they consider this 4+ months "trying"? Because I sure do, even though it doesn't feel like it sometimes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - I am indeed. It's more like the 1WW wait by this point. AF should be here Saturday I think, but I'm giving myself until Tuesday AM to test. My temperature dropped a little today and I'm thinking it's the start of my gradual decline until AF comes, but who knows. I am going to a bachelorette party this weekend, so that will be good to keep my mind off of things.

I'm sure the doctors will count your "trying" from when you came off BC. That's what they did for me and I wasn't really trying for about 6 months after.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet - yeah, I took Clomid days 5-10. I will keep testing (and BDing!). Good luck with the remaining 1ww. Fingers crossed for you!

WPP - you should definitely look into what the current world record is. At least something good should come from your patiently waiting for AF to arrive! lol. I think your doctor would probably count this time as "trying." I know my doctor typically doesn't prescribe Clomid until you've been trying a year, but with my PCOS, she was willing to prescribe it for me even though we were only trying since November (and I only got 1 period between November and April).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to sound like a broken record myself, but I'm not disputing Daisy and her good info.  They don't always show a postive when there is a surge.  But, if they give a postive, they did pick up one because they only react to LH in the urine if they are going to react (or hCG, actually, just not at that time in your cycle).  I don't consider Day 12 "early."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

WPP - i used to have long cycles - totally irregular too - shortest 42 days longest 93 days (so you beat me there!) and i saw an RE who diagnosed me w/ PCO (or PCOS? not sure) and prescribed clomid which worked for me month 2 (and like daisy the OPKs didn't show i ovulated, but i did w/ twins!).  anyway - my point is, for what it's worth, something the RE said that made sense to me was that even if i was ovulating really late (like say in a 90 day cycle ovulating around day 76, b/c i temped and knew i always ovulated 2 weeks before AF), my chances of getting PG that cycle were reduced anyway b/c an egg that's sat around in my ovary going through failed attempts to ovulate and the associated weird hormonal fluctuations wasn't going to be "fresh"/likely to fertilize.  i think he was right b/c i know we timed BD'ing perfectly a few of those months.  not sure if that's even relevant to your case, but, i guess what i'm suggesting is based on my experience my advice would be for you to call a doctor who will take your case seriously right away - ridiculous for a doctor to suggest you need to wait this out for a year to qualify for help - not every case is cookie-cutter.  IMHO!  GL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Kar--I think the issue is that having clomid in one's system messes with the accuracy of the tests.  Much like women who have gone through hormonal treatments to do IVF shouldn't do a pregnancy test "too early" b/c it will reflect the artificial/injected hormones rather than the real pregnancy hormones--giving a false positive.  That being said, I don't remember what day the RE told me to start using the OPKs, and I'm pretty sure it was before CD12, but I would expect it to depend on which days one took clomid (REs tend to change things each month based on charting and OPK results from the previous month) more than an absolute cycle day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Clomid mimics LH on the strip?  There's much I don't know about Clomid; thanks for clarifying, Daisy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Here's an explanation:  it doesn't mimic LH, it just causes your body to produce large amounts of it.

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/509.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, so the strip, if it showed a positive, wouldn't be defective, but the timing regarding the positive could be way off...I get it, now. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks, Stef, that's interesting and does make sense. I also imagine that if one of those "old" eggs did get fertilized, it would have a lower chance of becoming a viable pregnancy because there's a higher possibility for chromosomal abnormalities?

I feel so stuck and frustrated with doctors because DH works at Harvard, so our insurance is all through the university (not Harvard Pilgrim, but a university-specific program). Every doctor I go to is in the same building (where DH works). All of the doctors are interconnected and I've seen a few different ones, but they all take the same line. Because of our insurance, I can't go anywhere else. Everyone also knows DH so I'm afraid of filing complaints or anything like that because I'm worried that it would reflect poorly on him (and sure, retaliation isn't supposed to be possible, but we all know how office politics are). 

When he took this job and we got this insurance I thought it would be great and progressive, but I'm so frustrated and angry and I feel like there's nothing I can do. The last time I was there, talking to my doc about my concerns, her parting words were, "Call me when you're pregnant." Are you ef.fing kidding me?? I'm not even ovulating! And hellz no I won't be calling you for my pregnancy, I'll be calling a midwife who gives a crap. 
    YellUndecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

WPP--did you go to an OB/gyn or an RE?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP - I have no words of advice at this point, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry.  I can only imagine how totally frustrated you are.  I know this may be a crazy idea, and since I have really good insurance, I have no idea how much visits costs.  But would it be worth it to call another office, outside your system and do the fee for service?  This office you are at now is clearly the wrong place if you were told "call me when you are pregnant" when you haven't even had AF in months.  Geez... I'm frustrated for you now!  I want to call them!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

WPP - I'm so sorry the docs are treating you so poorly - but is there another option you can switch to during open enrollment? I ask because I used to work for MIT, and they are also self-insured, so one plan requires you to see on campus docs. But they also had an HMO and PPO option for employees who weren't in Cambridge/wanted to have more choice. It was pricier, but still affordable/available.  If your DH is a grad student or something you might be stuck with on campus care, but seriously, Harvard includes a world famous medical school, you'd think you would be treated more respectfully.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

WPP - I'm so frustrated for you! I thought your doctor said to call if you don't get AF in 6 months. FWIW, my RE does specials where the initial consult is free for those who aren't covered by insurance. Maybe that would be worth looking into? they did one in January and are doing one in April (I know, almost over). Maybe you could call them? http://www.fertilitycenter.com/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

WPP, I know most people don't think of it when they think of actually having a baby, but why not look into Planned Parenthood for a low cost alternative for infertility treatment? Yes, they do provide services; I just checked their site to make sure.  If your Dr at Harvard can't be bothered, there is another low cost alternative.  GL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Thanks for the support, everyone! Daisy, I saw my PCP, an OB/GYN, and an RE. They did a battery of tests and found that I had polysystic ovaries. I told them about my history of sporadic, infrequent periods and my mom's history of infertility and they said, "That may or may not be related" and sent me on my way. lol, IPW, I should send you after them for me! 

Amy-Lynn, I think they do have another option and we'll have to hang on until January (open enrollment) to check it out. We didn't do it at first because there was a substantial cost disparity, but we should look at it again. 

Thanks for the link, Chiclet, I'll check it out! And ALF, I hadn't thought of Planned Parenthood, but that's brilliant. 

Sorry to monopolize the boards! I hope everyone else is doing well. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

WWP - this is freakin ridiculous.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  I am not sure on your posts if you have coverage for infertility treatment or not. Regardless, an OB or RE should feel very comfortable giving you a provera challenge to get your period and start you on metformin (increases ovulation x 8 in people with PCO) or even clomid.  The clomid you might have to pay for (not expensive) but the metformin would certainly be covered.

I actually know of a person who never had a period in her life.  Received 2 provera challenges, got pregnant right after for both and never had a period again.  I can't explain that by I think that has to be the record!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

WPP - I can't believe an RE just sent you on your way! I hope Planned Parenthood can help you out if you decide to go that route.

AFM, I got another positive OPK today (CD 16). I feel more confident this one is real (as opposed to the one I got on CD 12, just a few days after finishing Clomid). Fingers crossed!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JLeigh - Yay for your second smiley face! I have my fingers crossed for you too!

I think I'm out. I got kind of hopeful that my temp spiked two days ago to the highest it's ever been. Then yesterday it was back down to normal - a little disappointing but I can't complain when it's in line with the 5 days prior to the spike. Today it was all the way down to the coverline, almost a full degree cooler than two days ago. I'm so bummed. I know I'm not out until AF shows up but I'm guessing she'll be here tomorrow. I'm just so overwhelmed that I'm going to have to go through this whole process again next month.