August 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

August 2012 TTC

Best wishes for sticky bfps, recovery from losses, and new directions any of us might be taking in this journey.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: August 2012 TTC

Ditto to what kar said!  We're due for a good run on this board.

All my ivf drugs for this cycle were delivered yesterday.  OMG I've never seen such a huge scary mountain of needles!  I actually had to dedicate a whole shelf in a kitchen cabinet and a shelf in the fridge to house all the stuff.  I can't believe I'm going to be putting all of this in me!  I actually start my Lupron shots tomorrow while I'm at a wedding reception.  That should be interesting. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

SSBride,  Good luck.  I also declared my cheese draw for the meds.  I also cleared out a shelf and two baskets for the meds.  I felt so overwhelmed at first that I decide to use one basket for the meds and supplies need for that week.  Then, placed everything else in other basket.  I kept which thing over like that until I was down with all the meds.  I actually still have meds left over and should call the doctor’s office and know how to dispose of them.
    I recommend getting a small ice pack.  I would the ice pack of the injection site 10 to 15 minutes and it would help bruising.  I also made a mistake on the first day of taking the Lupron shot.  I took in the evening rather than in the morning as directed by my doctor’s sheet.  It wasn’t that big of a deal and it just delayed the ER by 6 hours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Tomarra, thanks for the advice on icing.  I also like your idea of focusing on the drugs for one week at a time.  Maybe that will help it feel less overwhelming.

Funny that your doc said to do the Lupron in the morning.  I was told 7-9pm at night (hence why I'll be shooting up in the bathroom of a wedding reception tomorrow).  Morning would have been easier I think... wonder why the different instructions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital says morning between 6 and 10 am: http://patients.dartmouth-hitchcock.org/nh_fertility/lupron_instructions_for_ivf.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Good luck SSBride!  Hope the injections and everything goes smoothly and you get your BFP very soon.  Maybe the schedules vary across clinics depending on the timing of all the different medications?  I don't know.  

CD3 here--back on this rollercoaster for real now. Just trying to keep steady as possible.

IPW--glad AF returned and your body is re-equilibrating. Best wishes to you and DH as you sort out your choices moving forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Since hormones are often tied closely to the circadian rhythem I find it odd the timing of the administration of a hormone associated with fertility would vary between practices, and I'd definitely call and ask about the discrepancy before I started the regimen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

SSBride, I would follow your doctor's orders.  Each office has difference schedules.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is there harm in asking and gaining a better understanding of the process before getting started?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

My friend who has twins and used ART also did her shots at night.

However, if a RE who has prescribed hormone therapy that requires you to inject yourself w/ hormones daily has told you to do it at night between the hours of 7 and 9, I'm sure they have a good reason for it.  Call if it will make you feel better, but I doubt that something like this is an oversight.  In other words, I'm sure the doc knows what he/she is doing.

FWIW, between 6 and 10 am would be incredibly inconvenient for me, and for others I imagine. Kind of hard to do it at work or driving to!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

This is off topic, but if anyone wants to bite: My DH and I have a couple weekends coming up that we don't have to work (hooray!), and I was wondering if anyone wanted to recommend their favorite summer day trips in driving distance of Boston.  Some of our past favorites would be: Cape Ann, Newport, Newburyport, Crane Beach.  What else is fun?  We're up for almost anything: a cute town, beach, or hiking spot?  (If this is too far afield of the TTC topic, you can ignore me!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Siena, we've had fun in all the following spots for day trips: Portland, ME, Portsmouth NH, Mystic, CT, Northampton, MA, and Great Barrington, MA (GB might be a stretching it a bit for a day trip...). They all have fun restaurants, shops, parks, museums, etc. Enjoy the time together!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Newburyport has a quaint, fun downtown with nice places to eat and shop. Crane Beach is nice and is where I take our dog in the off season when she's allowed, and while it's a nice beach, that's all that's there. I agree with kiwigal's suggestions, too; they are fun places to go that have a lot more than the beach to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Kennebunk and Kennebunkport.  Oquinquit, and some of the smaller towns on the Maine coast (Wells and York) are really nice walking towns.  Great shops and eating.  Actually, just driving up Rte 1 starting in Newburyport or Portsmouth is an adventure!  And Siena, with your timing on CD4... sounds like with one of these trips there may be some actual baby making!  My fingers are crossed for you.

SS - best of luck with your meds!  Its daunting, but so exciting!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Oooh--these are all good ideas!  I'm liking the coastal Maine idea a lot.  We have been to Kennebunkport, but haven't stopped in the smaller towns (Wells, York), so maybe we'll hit one or more of those destinations.  Maybe tomorrow!  Thanks ladies!  I'll keep all of these suggestions in mind for the future.  

Kar--I don't know if it's open in the off season, but DH & I always stop at Russell Orchards for produce and cider when we go to Crane Beach.  Yum!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

While as your previous experience proves, you don't have to have m/s to have a healthy pregnancy, and if you do have it that doesn't necessarily mean everything is OK, BUT usually if you have m/s it's a good sign that things are progressing normally.  The hormones of early pregnancy, as they build, can make you sick.  They can build and not make you sick, but if you go from feeling symptom free to feeling gross, that's generally a good indicator of progress.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

SS- Glad your shots are not too bad!

stefani- I was just going to inquire as to your wherabouts!  Hope your appt on Weds brings good news.

Both my dr and acupuncturist recommended I take August off from TTC so I'll be on the sidelines this month. But anxious to get back to it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

I'm also out of TTC for the month, but I'll be thinking of all of you.

I have a post d&c follow up with my Dr. in the next 2 weeks, then genetic testing at the end of the month. My d&c results should be in by then so we'll go through it with the geneticist.

In the mean time it's just rest for me. My post op sheet said no swimming for 4 weeks! Good think we're getting a break from the 90 degree temps for a few days. It's part of the no exercise thing, I know. I don't remember noticing that last time, but my last d&c was in Dec, so why would I? Kind of a bummer though.

After the procedure the Dr. went to DH and told him in a nice way to stop knocking me up for a while. He said it was a little embarrassing. But we all agree, we need to do some genetic testing and find out what's what before we do anything else in the TTC dept. I think it's funny that the Dr. said that to him. I'm sure she'll say it to me in my follow up appointment. It probably wouldn't have made sense to me when I was just coming out of the anesthesia. I'll probably end up back on the pill for a bit, since we thought we were not TTC and I got pregnant anyway. I'll try not to see that as a step backwards, just maybe a step sideways for a bit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Hib - sorry no swimming for you this month.  Hoping the heat dies down a bit so you don't miss it as much.  That must have been a weird conversation for DH and pretty funny.  Hopefully you're wait will be worth it and you'll get the answers you need from the geneticist soon.  I'm actually on the pill too as part of my ivf protocol which I thought was the strangest thing.  When the RE told me she was putting me on bcps I totally felt like I was taking a huge step backwards, but looks like it is really a step forward for both of us.

MissWolff - try to enjoy the month off and it should fly by in no time!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Hib- I like the idea of the 'step sideways'. I will think of that when I am feeling impatient.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hi all.  just got back from my dr's appt.  all looks fine - i'm suprised.  they dated me at 8 wks 5 days.  i go back in a couple of weeks for the materni-T (or something?) chromosome test and US and we'll see from there if things are still progressing.  thanks for all of the positive support.  thinking of all of you in your efforts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Hey everyone. I think I'm ready to come out of hiding again. I saw my doctor this morning and I like this one a lot more than my previous doctors. I took a list of questions with me and she made sure I was satisfied with answers to all of them. She said I've been patient enough and we can get things rolling, so she did some more blood work of things they haven't covered yet--DHEA, FSH, LH, TSH--and gave me a referral for an RE. She says PCOS is possible and the RE will know more and determine whether clomid or metformin is better. Progress! 

I'm feeling good this week. This weekend we're going to the wedding of DH's cousin and my friend from college, so it'll be a ridiculous amount of fun. 

Hib and MW, good luck with your steps sideways. I hope you feel de-stressed and content during this quasi-break. Sometimes with TTC it seems like taking a deep breath like this is necessary and helps fortify you for the road ahead. 

SS, I hope your injections work and you get good news very soon. 

Siena, have fun on your trip! I went white water rafting in Jackman, ME a few summers ago and it was so much fun. It was about a five hour drive and you could see the Canadian border from our cabin. 

Congrats on your continued stickiness, Stefani! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--so glad you found a doc that would listen and pursue some more testing!!  Hope your RE is similarly attentive.  I'm with you on the written lists. If I don't bring them, I get so stressed and focused on averting a meltdown during the appointment that I often forget half my questions. (honestly just sitting in the waiting room of the OB/GYN sends me halfway to a panic attack; I have terrifying associations.)  have fun at the wedding!

Hib & MW good luck with the waiting.  That part can take its own toll.  Hib--hope the repeated pregnancy loss testing is helpful for you & DH.  The testing process can be its own adventure :-/.  I've never had so much blood drawn at once before (~15 tubes), and my DH wasn't too thrilled about undergoing his own draw (although they only needed 2 tubes from him!).

SS glad the injections are going well!

We had fun in ME!  thanks again for the ideas!  whitewater rafting sounds like fun too.  i wonder if I could persuade my risk-averse DH that it was a good idea...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

WPP - what a relief.  I am so pleased that you finally got in front of the right doctor!  She sounds awesome, and you will have a plan very soon, I have no doubt.  

Hib, so sorry for the hiatus from the pool.  What a bummer, especially in this weather.  What an odd thing for the doc to say to your DH.  Hope that wasn't too awkward and someday you can laugh about it.

SS, so glad the needles aren't that bad!  You are getting closer and closer.  Fingers crossed.  

Stef, that is SOOO awesome!  How exciting.  Hope the sickness has tampered down a bit; can't imagine being sick with two little ones running around craving your attention!

Siena - so glad you had a nice vaca!  

Best to all, in all our various stages!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

Yay Stefani! My fingers are crossed for stickiness for you.

And glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels like bc pills are a step sideways (trying not to think backwards) at this point.

I think I might ask for a prescription and then see if the Dr. and geneticist say about it. I have a feeling after my Dr. and DH had "the talk" that she'll put me on it anyway.

Hang in there everyone! Enjoy the rest of summer. I'll be inside next to the AC or sitting with my feet in the pool for the next few weeks.