August 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Re: August 2012 TTC

WPP - Welcome back to the boards. I'm happy to hear you're going to see an RE, and I hope you'll get some answers sooner rather than later.

SS - Sounds like things are moving along pretty well for you with the IVF. Good luck! I so hope it works out for you on this try.

AFM, I just got back from  vacation. To my surprise, I think I ovulated (without Clomid) while on vacation, based on a few days of EWCM. I had stopped temping after the second m/c, but when I got home, I started again, and my temp is still way up. I'm so pleased I ovulated on my own, even if it doesn't end in pregnancy this time.

Today I went to see my new RE. Everyone at the office was so nice and encouraging (big change from my OB's office). I had blood drawn for various things, and I'm going to have some sort of saline sonogram of my uterus to see if anything physical is causing the repeated m/cs. I have to go on bcps for that, which is annoying.

Assuming everything is ok physically, the RE said that the only other option to make me ovulate, aside from Clomid, is injectibles. That seems odd to me, b/c I think I've read about people taking other drugs in pill form (metformin or something?). And the RE mentioned doing an IUI as well, to increase the chances of getting pg. I'm feeling really good after my appt -- happy to get some answers and a new plan for moving forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's amazing how a nice office staff can make such a huge difference, isn't it? I work myself up so much when I know the staff is ugly, and I'm so much more calm when I know I'll be greeted warmly and with compassion. And, it really impacts my making and keeping appointments...dumb, I know, but there it is. Seems like everyone is going the medical intervention route right now in our ttc community right now but us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

SS--quality should ultimately matter more than quantity, right?  I've got my fingers crossed for ya!

JL--GL with the repeated pregnancy loss testing. The sonohistogram is a normal part of that workup, but hopefully it will check out ok for you!  Have they asked DH to get tested too for karyotyping?  (Don't mean to be nosy--that is just the only part of the standard RPL battery that you didn't allude to.)  

I hate that there are 3 of us on this board now who have done/are doing this workup.  I just finished the last part of my RPL testing last week.  I had abnormal results on my first round of testing for an indicator of a blood clotting disorder, but results have gone back down to the reference range as of last week.  So that means I'm not diagnosed with the disorder, and won't be put on bloodthinners for now. I think that's a good thing on the balance.

Kar--no interventions for us either right now, so I'm with you. Not that I haven't had my share of medical involvement in the past year.  But at the moment, doctors say there is nothing they can do to help us, so we're trying again the old-fashioned way and taking our chances. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Siena, I would think that's great you don't have a blood clotting disorder, but you say you think it's a good thing - is there a possible down side? GL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Siena -- The RE mentioned bloodwork for my DH, but didn't mention the term karotyping. Is that a blood test? I think I'll call to ask them about it. Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

JL--yes the karyotyping is a bloodtest for you & DH.  That is probably what they were talking about!  They usually test you for clotting disorders, thyroid problems, and karyotyping.  DH just needs a karyotype.

Kar--Yes, I'm sure you're right that it's good news.  Sometimes I (irrationally) wish that there something wrong that would just be fixable and then I could feel like we were DOING something to prevent these bad outcomes.  The fact of the matter is that my prognosis would be worse if I had a clotting disorder, so I should be glad about this.  (Hence the irrational part.)  

I just know that if something goes wrong again with my next pg, the doctors will just kind of look at me and say "sucks to be you", because there is not much more we can test or try medically that will prevent pregnancy loss...  I will get a lot of monitoring in early pregnancy, but that is to stave off tubal rupture (and associated risk of death and infertility) not to really help the pregnancy in any way.

So I am glad for this test result, but it's hard to just be happy with where I am with all of this right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Siena, I don't think that's irrational. You'd like there to be something wrong so there's something to correct, rather than hear that the doctors don't know what's wrong. I totally get that. No one wants to have a clotting disorder, but no one wants to be a medical mystery either. FWIW, I think I understand how you're feeling about this. Fingers crossed for you and "the old-fashioned way"! :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, I understand. I'm sorry you're so frustrated as to almost wish for a disease...hugs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Siena, I've been lurking for a while, but I am in a similar boat as far as having been tested for repeated miscarriages, and "nothing" was wrong. But the RE did give me a prescription for progesterone supositories, I use an OPK, and start using the progesterone two days after the positive OPK, until I get AF, or, when it happens, until the end of the first trimester. It hasn't been studied in really big studies, but for women with multiple miscarriages in a small study, it did seem to improve successful pregnancy rates. If that is something you are willing to do, it might be worth talking to your doctor about. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks amy-lynn!  I did talk to my MFM and my OB about progesterone testing & supplementation, but they weren't big believers in it (in the absence of fertility treatments) and didn't think it was warranted in my case.  Their logic made sense to me (at least given my medical history--your mileage may vary!), so I'm comfortable with that for now.  I know they are a common intervention though!  

(Despite my complaining earlier about having nothing to fix, my DH and I are more or less of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy when it comes to medical interventions and recommendations that are not clear-cut.  So given that my doctors didn't think it would help me, I'm not inclined to push for it.)  

That said, the lack of data when it comes to interventions for repeated pregnancy loss is beyond frustrating!  So many women get put on baby aspirin and/or progesterone with no clear-cut diagnostic indications. Clearly, medical experts differ in their opinions on the value of this. I wish there were some better evidence though, so we didn't have to rely so much on opinions!

I'm sorry for your losses and hope you get your sticky pregnancy soon!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's the same with psychology and major depression. They just throw things at the proverbial wall until something sticks. Took them a grueling six months to get mine under control, and in the meantime I was super physically ill on top of being suicidally depressed while they tried the drugs that didn't work one month each.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Siena - the blood clotting test is usually "lupus anticoagulant" (a bit of a misnomer in that you don't need to have lupus and in fact it usually is a coagulant not anticoagulant but I digress).  Usually in that case they put people on aspirin during their pregnancy but you can have some variability with testing. You might want to get the specifics. 

Kar- Ugh for what you went through.  Sorry for all of that.  I wish we had more definitive data for these kinds of things but you are right, often it is just waiting for something to stick.
    Have you read the book "Unbroken" ?  I am just finishing it and for some reason I think you would like it.  It is an amazing story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, lil, it was beyond description...only made it by good friends having my back. I've been getting back into reading lately so I'm excited to check out your recommendation. Thanks!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Sorry, kar, that you went through that! That sounds awful.

LIL--thanks!  My lupus anticoagulant was actually normal in every screen, but I had elevated IgM anticardiolipin antibodies--so it was a different marker for antiphospholipid antibody syndrome that we were following.  Anyway, long story short, they are back to normal now!   I was just trying to keep the jargon off this board, since I don't think there is anyone else here who was looking into the APS diagnosis.  

My MFM had recommended lovenox injections during pregnancy if my levels had remained elevated  Although even at the initial (elevated) level, he said it wasn't even clear-cut whether it should be treated.  (My levels were high, but not sky-high, so it was in a sort of grey area to begin with.)  But diagnosis requires them to stay elevated for over 12 weeks, and mine came down, so no lovenox decision for me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Siena. I shared to commiserate with your feeling of how out of control the protocols in medicine can really be. We're raised to think that doctors know best and exactly what they are doing, but so often they are guessing and hoping for the best because drugs and the human body aren't as exact sciences as we wish. and, when we find that out through depression, ttc, cancer, thyroid, etc., it's extremely disappointing for our expectations being violated and for the frustrating result itself. :(

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Siena - So sorry your in such a frustrating situation.  While I was getting my bloodwork done this morning and trying to focus on anything but the needle I was reading the little comic clips they have up for distraction.  One said "Ever wonder why doctors call what they do a practice?"  Made me chuckle to myself and obviously fitting to your situation.

lil - Unbroken is a fantastic book... loved it.

So all of a sudden everything seems to be moving very fast for me.  I'm doing my trigger shot tonight, then egg retrieval will be on Friday which is a full week earlier than I thought.  On this mornings scan there were 10 follicles so hoping for 10 mature eggs.  Starting to get very excited, but trying to contain it since theirs obviously still a large chance it won't work this time. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

This is off topic, or on the current topic, but I second (third, fourth) the disappointment in medical treatments/intervention.  My 23 year old sister was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer and yet, though it's "the best cancer to get" it's never "truly curable" unlike others it's just more easily treatable.  It almost always comes back...eventually....and they have done no studies on what treatments work better and why.  On top of that, they gave her a dose of radiation (radioactive iodine) which makes her radioactive for 10 days and she essentially can't go near anyone for their safety.  The crazy part is, she's near herself...so what does this mean for the future for her regarding other cancers?!  Driving me crazy.

Sorry for the rant!

On another note, I'm thinking, just thinking about finally TTC soon.  I've been hesitant for so long, but I'll be 31 next month, have a house (not married yet, engaged for 3 years...I hate planning events but we're likely to just get the papers...haha I'm so unromantic) basically have all my ducks in a row, but I'm having trouble diving in and committing.  Anyone else experience this?  

Also, I'm a hemophiliac carrier..meaning I have a 50% chance of having a hemophiliac (boy).  Anyone else deal with anything similar and what did you end up deciding?  I'm pretty positive I personally could never terminate a pregnancy over that, but I'd have to have testing on the embryo because it would complicate the pregnancy if I were to conceive spontaneously and he were positive (bleeding at birth etc).  However, there are other practices in place regarding IVF and testing the fertilized eggs/implanting "unaffected" ones....anyone with experience with anything similar?

Also, I take daily asthma meds...talk to the doctor about that right if I should continue or not?  Anything else anyone can recommend to prepare for the trying part?

Ohhh so many questions!  And I just realized if anyone I know is reading this, they will obviously know who I am.  So, please keep this hush hush, just in case of something or nothing!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

FB - Sorry to hear about your sister's experiences! I hope she's able to kick the cancer quickly and for a long time! 

I use a rescue inhaler as needed and have had 3 doctors tell me that my inhaler and allergy meds are all safe to take during pregnancy. Some people get picky about allergy meds because the ones with decongestants can dry up CM. My doctors didn't say anything to me about that, but I have read that somewhere. Obviously your doctor will know best for your specific medicine, but my experience is that it is safe. 

As for your hemophiliac gene (if that's the right term), I imagine it would work the same as any genetic disorder, where you could do IVF to make sure you weren't passing it on, as you said. I've been tested (twice now) for Taye-Sachs because the majority of my family is from Canada and that was the end game for me if it came back positive. I don't know about hemophilia though. Does it matter if your fiance is a carrier?

SS - Glad things are progressing quickly for you! Good luck on Friday!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fakin, 23 with cancer, omg! So sorry to hear that and the scary lifetime implications. Praying for the best for her and a peace about what is down the road for her and your family. Yes, talk to your doc about all your current conditions and medications. There are some asthma inhalers that are non-systemic and, therefore, only affect your respiratory system. I don't know how those or others have been tested re pg safety, though. Like so many things, as we've been discussing today, ttc practices are hotly debated. Caffeine, alcohol, weight, etc. have studies showing this and that as far as how or if they affect your chances of getting pregnant, and you'll have to decide for yourself how you interpret the studies and what to do, if anything, about each potential risk pre and (hopefully) post BFP because for everyone who says they avoid something, there will be another person who doesn't avoid the same thing, and their results vary as widely as the study outcomes and conclusions vary.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Thanks Chiclet...the good news about my sister is that on Monday they came back with nothing to report for the first time since the diagnosis...so she's on her way back to post-cancer normal!  

As for the hemophiliac gene, which is only carried on the X chromosome, it doesn't exactly matter in my case if my fiance is a carrier because it works rather peculiarly.  Generally speaking, only males can have the disease AND pass it on - but only to females, and females that are carriers don't typically have it (though can have lower clotting properties than average) but they can pass it on at a 50% chance as the actual disease to boys and as a carrier to girls.  Anything else is either an anomaly or extremely unusual, so I won't get into those details!

Taye-Sachs is so much more serious than hemophilia though, so I totally get where you are coming from, I'd be there too.

In a nutshell, hemophilia is a blood clotting disorder which basically prevents the blood from clotting normally.  There are medicines that help increase clotting, though one can become somewhat desensitized to it, and depending on the "level" of the hemophilia (severe to mild) surgery is a really big deal and sometimes impossible.  Injuries are automatically serious, and sometimes fatal depending on blood loss (internal or external).  For instance if my dad gets a paper cut, it typically doesn't stop bleeding for 5 days - and he's moderate to mild. Blood transfusions are very common, and the daily and rescue medicines are derived from blood - therefore many hemophiliacs contracted all sorts of blood born diseases from their medicines before those viruses were pre-screened (and they are still learning!).

I worry because although if I were to have a child with it, the likelihood that he would be anymore severe than my dad is very slim (again it would be an anomaly) but I worry about just life in general (no sports, no rough-housing, the cruising stages alone - can all be very serious).  Then later in life there's the threat of cancer or heart disease and surgeries needed for them, which is next to impossible to perform, and surgeries are impossible if needed in an emergency. (They need to get the clotting factor up or they bleed to death).  Life expectancy is getting later and later due to medical advancements, but it's still earlier than average.

However my dad is 60, works normally, lives normally, and his only real emergency was when he broke his arm when he was about 8.  Recently though he's needed more and more invasive medical things, including because he did contract a blood born disease pre-testing from his medication.  

So I don't know.

I'm personally kind of stuck trying to figure out if I should tempt fate and try it spontaneously and pray for girls (only so I have healthy children, not for any other reason) or if I should just go straight to genetic counseling and IVF (and an RE yes?).

Ramble ramble ramble...sorry for the essay

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

"Natural" is a touchy word in ttc circles...word to the wise, we say "spontaneous." I found out when I said my friends' triplets were naturally conceived. Whoops. Ankylosing spondylitis can hit the men in my family and I've chosen to ignore the risk, and my cousin did, too. She has an 11 year old boy, but doesn't know yet if he'll develop it; it manifests in their late teens, early 20s if it's going to. I can't give our rationale; I don't know why I'm dismissing it. But, my mother and grandmother think neither my cousin nor I should have ever tried to have children because of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Fakinbacon--welcome here!  Sorry about your sister.  That is so sad.  I'm glad she has turned the corner on it for now, and hope her recovery goes well.

Obviously the decision re. TTC "spontaneously" or pursing IVF with PGD is deeply personal, so I can't presume to advise you on it. Do you know for sure if PGD allows screening for thrombophilias? I don't know what the limitations are of that technology, since I've only read up on it in the case of screening for chromosomal abnormalities. 

If you decide to TTC without an RE, and the fetal thrombophilia contributes to risk *during* pregnancy, then a pre-conception appointment with an OB or high-risk maternal fetal medicine specialist would probably be a good idea.  I would start with your PCP though, and have a discussion about this, and also about which of your meds are safe for TTC and pregnancy.  (I don't think preconception counseling with an OB is generally necessary, but if you know that you are high-risk, then it might be indicated.)

I don't think you need to do anything "special" to prepare, other than talking to your PCP and trying to generally be healthy.  Kar is right that we each need to pick our own "rules" to some extent, depending on our own health/bodies/preferences/neuroses.  There is a lot of grey area. 

I guess just mentally prepare yourself that it can be a winding road (though I hope your journey down it is short & sweet, when you are ready!).   And I would add that if you know that you definitely want kids, and you have your ducks in a row as yousay, then not putting off TTC for too long seems advisable.  I'm not the only one here who can attest that being young & otherwise healthy is no guarantee for TTC success, but it definitely takes some of the pressure off, if things take a little longer than expected.  At least there is time to figure things out, try again, or what have you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Oh I'm sorry, I hope I didn't offend anyone!

Yeah, no one in my family will give me any guidance!  I've asked my cousin with it, with two young boys (but of course his kids would never be directly affected) and he was just happy he had boys so the disease couldn't be passed on.  My dad doesn't like to talk about it, it's strange, and I've been trying to get ahold of my aunt (mother of my cousin with it) because I think she'd actually be the most helpful since she more recently raised a son with it, and now there is IVF with the ability to prescreen for it available, so I'd like to hear what she would do.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

I changed my wording by the way, I was just trying to be cutsie...I'll stick with direct going forward :)

I've read one study where they can test for at least hemophilia, not sure about other clotting disorders, during the 8th mitosis...aside from that, I really don't know what the limitations are with it.  I do believe it is covered by my insurance though, which is a nice benefit.  I also don't have any personal beliefs for myself in trying medical interventions, so I don't believe that would get in the way - at least not at this point.  I realize there is a point where one can cross that line though, and feel like it's a once I cross that bridge dilemma to me at this point.

I've been really scared about the life changes associated with raising a child, but I think both my fiance and I are getting to the point where we are as ready as we can be.  We talk about it all the time.  I stress about the costs, care, etc etc.  I'm the breadwinner, so I'd have to return to work and then of course there are just the daily stresses associated with it.  But then again I know we could do it and would be happy doing it and have a way of working well together which is encouraging, so because of my age I feel like we should try, and try soon.  I'm very realistic about it though, both the TTC journey and parenthood, and worry I'm almost too realistic, which is exactly what is delaying me.  

Are those feelings normal or am I slightly different than most?  I wonder sometimes, well...a lot of the time actually.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In that regard, you're totally normal. As for being slightly different, though, as one who is I can tell you it's not so bad. :) Nobody wants to give guidance because they don't want to admit what they chose to believe and do and then be criticized for their choices. They'll tell you it's for all manner of reasons other than that that sound far more altruistic, lol.