August 2012 TTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: August 2012 TTC

Haha, Kar, I'd even give you a discount Wink

Ohh Siena, that seems so long. You seem so calm and patient! It's important that you're on board with the plan, but yeah, that doesn't make waiting easier. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to "Re: August 2012 TTC": [QUOTE]Haha, Kar, I'd even give you a discount  Ohh Siena, that seems so long. You seem so calm and patient! It's important that you're on board with the plan, but yeah, that doesn't make waiting easier.  Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE] Aw, shucks. ;)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Saw - Congrats!  Very best with your pregnancy.

JL - we'll all be on pins and needles for you!  I really hope this is the one for you and DH.  Will you go in for betas and early monitoring given your recent history?  Please keep us posted, and very best at keeping calm (way easier said than done I know!).

The sonohysterogram was fine on Thurs for me.  Very slight cramp, and just awkward, but in no way painful at all.  All looked great, normal even.  The "mock transfer," which is just inserting a cath to measure size and length needed for IVF was also very simple.  The doc that did the procedure was responsibile for my almost 10 yr old twin nephews.  And I've heard so much about him from my SIL, and my goodness... just the nicest person.  Fakin... you mentioned using MGH North Shore... they are really all fantastic.  You absolutely cannot go wrong.  I think I've met them all so far (3 REs I think) and just the best people. 

DH does his thing on Wed, and follow up with RE on the 7th.  Really looking forward to that visit as she is very low pressure, so will be a great informative meeting about our options and suggested next steps if we want them.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

IPW, good luck on the 7th! I'm glad things went well for you last week!

I got a BFP this morning! I had been complaining that I wished AF would just hurry up and get here before my vacation this week but there was no sign of it coming. Yesterday morning, DH said something like, "You know, there could be a reason your period is late..." I hadn't really considered it because I hadn't gotten a +OPK by Day 16 so we kind of gave up. I knew from my CD25 ultrasound that I had ovulated at some point, but who knows when? I didn't think the timing matched up at all, but something seems to have worked out. I definitely saw two distinct lines this morning (although I'm not 100% sure which one is the control line so I don't know if I had a really dark line or kind of a faint line). I'm going in this afternoon for my first blood draw and again on Wednesday. Then I leave Thursday morning for vacation and Friday is my birthday! What a week! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations Chiclet!  That's so exciting!  The top line is usually the control line (the one furthest from the part of the stick that gets dipped), and the bottom is the test line--at least on the tests I've used!  Anyway, the darnkess of the line doesn't really matter for an HPT, since any detectable amount signals a pregnancy.  FX for a good rate of increasing HCG on your blood draws.

...it's a good week for this board!  hope these BFPs stick and you three have a happy & healthy 9 months.

IPW--good luck with your appt!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Yay Chicklet!!! That is awesome!!!  We need some stickiness around here... what an exciting month for this board!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Chiclet! I am SO happy for you. What a great birthday present. Sending you sticky vibes.

IPW - Glad to hear your procedure went well, and that things looked normal. Are you still pondering whether to do IVF? Or did you decide?

AFM, I had my hcg levels checked on Saturday and today. My doctor said my levels are excellent, and I have an ultrasound in two weeks to see if there's a heartbeat. He also put me on progesterone suppositories for the duration of the 1st tri. I'm feeling hopeful, so it's going to be really crushing if it doesn't stick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, so much going on in a flurry of ttc news! Congrats and sticky thoughts, Chicklet!! As siena said, it doesn't matter which line is darker, the appearance of two lines of any darkness indicates pregnancy. Good for your DH for remembering that eople have gotten pg for millions of years without OPKs to tell them exactly when to try. ;) jl, congrats to you, too, on your good numbers. Hoping they continue and you hear the heartbeat when you expect to. IPW, that's great your procedure went well and was painless. I hate and fear pain, lol. Let's hope it goes as well for the real thing and you get the desired outcome!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congrats jl and chicklet!  Major sticky vibes your way.

I'm out for this cycle.  I went in for my egg retrieval and they were only able to get 2 eggs and they were both too immature to fertilize.  So frustrating, especially since the RE doesn't seem to really know what went wrong.  They supposedly saw 10 follicles and a bunch of them that looked mature before, and then at the ER there was nothing. 

So incredibly bummed but only thing we can do is move on to a second attempt in October.  I have some more testing to look forward to and a visit with the RE to find out my new protocol after labor day and until then I just wait. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry to hear that, SS. :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I'm really sorry SS.  That is so frustrating and disappointing.  I hope your RE is able to adjust the protocol so that you can have a better outcome in the next round.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

congrats chiclet and JL!  sorry to hear the news, ssbride.  i'm sure this is no consolation, but try to enjoy some time for yourself - go for a solo hike, enjoy the fall weather, go shopping, have some cocktails - between now and the next round.  i know that's hard, but one day you might look back at your longer-than-expected TTC journey with somewhat fond memories (i do - strangely enough).

ok now i feel all "AFM," but - my update is i went for an US screening and meeting w/ a genetic counselor in prep for the MaterniT21 (or something like that) test, and the US looked fine - alive, all normal, almost 12 weeks, but then the counselor told me i wasn't a candidate for that test b/c i am not old enough (i'll be 34 when i have the baby, not 35 which is the cut-off).  so, i don't really care b/c i probably would have wanted the certainty of an amnio anyway, but - what a waste of 3 hours (except for the US, which was reassuring).  anyway, the good news is that this one seems to be sticking - knock on wood - so in another 4 weeks i'll have the amnio and then know for sure that all's well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts! I spoke to the nurse this morning and my beta is already 7,603! I don't have to repeat the blood test tomorrow like I thought. I have an ultrasound scheduled for next Wednesday when I come back from vacation and the following Monday, then an appointment with the doctor. Apparently my doctor is on vacation that week so I'll be seeing someone else. DH and I have been looking at the calendar and we're not quite sure when this happened. (Leave it to us to over analyze!)

JL - I'm psyched that your results are coming back so positive as well. I'm really happy that we can (hopefully!) go through this together.

SS - I'm sorry to hear that your ER didn't pan out. That's such a bummer where your scans were going so well. Stef is totally right though. Make the most of the early fall, maybe schedule a weekend away. You deserve it after what you've been through this month! 

Stef - I'm glad your baby looks healthy! You're so close to being able to breathe easy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

SS - I'm so sorry to hear about the ER. So frustrating! I hope your doctor can come up with a new protocol for Oct.

Stef - Glad to hear your US was normal.

Chiclet - Wow, 7,603! That's great. Does that mean you're about 5-6 weeks? Have a great vacation!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Thanks JL! My LMP was July 24th, so I can't be any more than 5 weeks right? I guess we'll find out on the 10th!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I'll have a toast with you SSBride, this week!  CD1 here.  Oh well, saw that coming!  What would you like?  I'm planning a cold beer tonight, but then maybe I can get DH to take me out for a fancy cocktail this weekend.  ;-)

Stefani--I'm glad your pg is progressing healthily, and that you can look back on TTC fondly!  I just wanted to add, for the sake of mostly myself, that I've felt pressure at various points to "relax and enjoy it" or see TTC struggles/pregnancy loss as "no big deal in the scheme of things," mostly from people who already have children and are done TTC, (some of whom did have complicated paths to their take-home babies). I know your comments weren't even directed at me, but... I find it frustrating sometimes to be told that.  

I'm glad that in the long run, the frustrations of TTC seem minor to many. And it's nice that they are trying to provide a longer perspective on things. But I read subtext that I am not entitled to experience the grief & frustration that has accompanied this process for me.  Which I'm sure is not what they meant. I guess bc I'm at a stage where the question of whether or not I will successfully ever have kids is looming large in my mind, so it's not that reassuring to think that if I do manage to have them, I will be able to look back on this experience as not so bad.  

...maybe that's just CD1 talking, but I guess I needed to get that out somewhere.  And I haven't had the nerve to say it to the last 5 people who made similar comments to me.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Siena, I'm going with a big glass of wine tonight :)

I echo your comments and actually the worst is having it come from DH.  I know he's just trying to be helpful and so positive but on Friday honestly all I wanted to do was cry my eyes out for at least one whole day.  He had me laughing within an hour and at capital grille for dinner by the evening which I 100% appreciate, but at the same time sometimes I just feel like I need to take a few minutes to just feel sorry for myself.  I feel like I deserve that every once in a while.  Not that I want to fall into deep depression but I think its somewhat healthy to not pretend everything is exactly as I want it and that it doesn't bother me at least a few times everyday that everyone else around me seems to get knocked up by looking at each other.

That said, September will be filled with distractions for me... two weddings and a long weekend in San Diego, so I'm going to make the most of my situation and try to enjoy my month off if I can.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats, chiclet and JL! High five! I

SS, I think it's completely normal to want to wallow for a little bit. You can't be a cheery bottle of fanta all the time, and sometimes a Lifetime movie and bucket of chocolate are necessary. 

Siena, I know what you mean about the pressures of enjoying TTC. I'm generally a bubbly person and people seem to get annoyed with me if I'm not painting rainbows all the time. People will say, "There are so many ways to be a parent! Just enjoy it! My friend blah blah irrelevant anecdote and she got pregnant! You're not trying hard enough/you're trying too hard/that's so weird because my husband looked at me and I got pregnant!" 

It's been two weeks since I made the fertility appt and they said they're mailing a questionnaire, so DH agreed to call them on Thursday and ask about it (because...two weeks. Right? It's not coming from Myanmar.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--yeah, you can give them a call!  It might have slipped through the cracks, so might as well ask about it.  I've heard that questionaire is a long and somewhat personally invasive one.  You might want a glass of wine and a little time to fill it out some evening. :)

SSBride--I completely agree with you on the healthy balance b/w emotional expression and depression.  They are not the same thing. I hope you are able to find the right balance with your DH.  I know it has been complicated in my own relationship, I think in part bc it's hard to see your partner struggle, and the impulse to want to see him or her "get over it" and happy/optimistic can come out in not-so-productive ways.  (That said, my DH and I have made enormous strides on communicating more openly and productively on these topics over the past few months, and I am very thankful for that. But it's not been linear or easy all the time.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

siena - no subtext intended from my comments.  i completely remember being in your boat and feeling the same way about people with (well-meaning but annoying) advice about TTC.  i just wanted to give you a view from the other side from someone who DID struggle with infertility.  (not that that should make the comments less annoying, i guess, but - i guess i just mean to show that i HOPE what you're all going through is temporary, as it was for me.  doesn't make it any less painful, but i am on the other side now and i hope you will be someday too!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I think regardless of what you want, its always hard to be going through the process, rather than once you've (hopefully) succeeded in your plight.  I for one, am desperate for a new job.  I've been searching for the right opportunity for about 6 months now.   A few have been so close, and the one that I'm really, really interested in had a timing setback pushed to after Labor Day.  I have been so immersed in this search that I've gotten so depressed at times.  And of course, my DH and others saying "it will happen, keep hope alive, its just a few extra weeks" sorta thing... didn't help.  Was easy for me to get frustrated... even when I noticed myself saying to one of my best friends the other day, single at 38, "don't worry, it will happen, you will meet someone."  When I told her to relax and "stop trying," I realized that I was being the same a$$ that I was frustrated at in my job conversation.  So hard to be on both sides.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Just wanted to weigh in here. Siena, you're entitled to whatever feelings you're feeling. Don't let anyone make you feel that however you're feeling isn't justified. Yeah, wouldn't it be great if TTC was all rainbows and sunshine, but it's not. All you can do is make the best of it. To SS's point, sometimes you have to acknowledge your sadness and sometimes you need a distraction. It seems like people never know what to say (to any adversity, not just with TTC) and most people say the wrong thing. Before we bought our house, we had an offer in on a different house that we ended up walking away from after the home inspection. I can't count how many people told me that when it was meant to be it would happen! It was exactly the same thing people say when you go through a breakup. That made me feel worse than actually losing the house! This is part of the reason I haven't really told anyone about our TTC struggles. I can't handle the people who think they're making you feel better but end up making you feel worse.

WPP - I also recommend a glass of wine when you're filling out the RE paperwork. That's what I did too!

IPW - Good luck with the job search. It took me a year to find my current job, so I can relate that struggle as well! Hopefully your new job isn't too far away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hope in all her Hallmark, sentimental-sounding forms, is a bitchh. Until you've been disappointed enough, though, you might think I'm a downer, sail deflator, whatever, but it's easier to set yourself up for thrilling, happy surprises by being realistic about risks to your plan ultimately being achieved rather than constant disappointment due to pretending those risks to whatever your heart is set on don't exist. Life suckss enough without our making a habit of being super optimistic when super optimism isn't called for by supporting facts thereby ensuring we're always as dashed as we can possibly be when things don't turn out the way we told ourselves or someone else they would. Cruising with the sails down prevents you from crashing full tilt into the hidden boulders under the water. ETA: Just watched Criminal Minds, and the quote at the end summed it up. I looked it up and found another that goes nicely with what I was trying to say. "OF COURSE, THERE IS NO FORMULA FOR SUCCESS, OF COURSE, EXCEPT, PERHAPS, AN UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE OF LIFE AND WHAT IT BRINGS." Artur Rubinstein "I ACCEPT LIFE UNCONDITIONALLY. MOST PEOPLE ASK FOR HAPPINESS ON CONDITION. HAPPINESS CAN ONLY BE FELT IF YOU DON'T SET ANY CONDITION." Artur Rubinstein

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm thinking of all of you right now.  I don't have much to add, but I'm very happy for the BFP flurry (and Chiclet...that number!) and I'm really sorry about your struggles SS, Siena, Kar, IPW, Alf, WPP everyone else I missed...I've been reading the boards rather silently for a while, and really - my heart goes out to all of you ladies.  I wish I could do something for you.

Randomly and definitely OT - anyone have any good remedies for very very bad cramps during AF?  I stopped BC almost 3 years ago once I became engaged, because I'd been on it since high school.  However, I went on it because of very painful cramping - which has gradually returned to the point of where I had to call in sick to work yesterday because I just couldn't move and was up all night.  I do all the typical stuff for cramping, I just don't know what to do about it anymore.  They are literally debilitating and it's starting to mess with my life, again, but HS vs work/house etc is a very different experience.  Aside from the Ibuprofen/heat therapy and sit crunched up in a ball - any other ideas?  (Also, if I started the Ibuprofen early, I know that helps, but I get scared - just in case - since I'm off the pill, so I typically won't take anything until I see it's AF).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fakin, magnesium should help your cramps. GL, they are the worst! I used to avoid OTC pain killers in the tww, but after four years I decided the benefit to Pamprin was worth he risk. Hopefully, you'll be pg long before that.